• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Well that's not ugly at all! It looks, dare I say, distinguished.

Not bad. And a nice looking map. I'm impressed how far you've gotten playing so gentlemanly!

Happy Holidays everyone! :) I'll be spending both Christmas and New Year at my parents' place, and I'm not sure whether or not I'll go home in between. If I do I'll certainly update since the next chapter is 100% done, but if I don't then see you next year!

Can Bohemia be forced to release anyone? Also, your comments give me hope that Brunswick will be re-united.

Yeah, there are still countries to be released. But not many really, especially since I don't want to release the Teutons or Prussia (that could eventually lead into a situation where I get a core on the capital of a 2PM, so I obviously want to avoid that when I can just let Bohemia keep that province).

I wonder if it would be theoretically possible to achieve a wc under your houserules...

I'd say yes, if you were lucky enough that you get the "boundry dispute" every other day and that one of the vassals that you got with a mission colonised a province in America (and same with every non connected landmass + a minor who is at 2 wars, one with you and one with Great Britain, you vasalise him and later he manges to snach a province on both England and Ireland before you diploannex him with a mission...)

In other worlds, as probable as some pagans on a backwater Japanese island conquering the world. Just won't hapen ;)

Even if you somehow got a same culture group PU junior (a vassal wouldn't do since diploannexing doesn't give cores) to colonize on every single landmass and actually got enough boundary disputes to core everything from Portugal to Thailand to Africa, I don't think the islands (England, Ireland, Med islands, some of the Pacific Ocean islands, etc.) that don't have any vacant land would be doable. Essentially the junior would also have to conquer land on all such islands and use settlement policy on each one to get a correct culture group province there for the core upon inheritance.

So I'd say that it's less probable than some pagans on a backwater Japanese island conquering the world. ;) Though it would make for one twisted multiplayer campaign: one "master" country expanding like I do here, and a horde of same culture group human players colonizing and settlement policying around the word, getting inherited and switching to the next nation whenever they have a suitable amount of correct culture land for the master to take and start firing boundary disputes in. :rofl:

Isn't not colonizing another houserule of his? That'd make it hard to conquer the areas that need colonizing...

Yeah, as having non-core land is against the rules, that pretty much removes the colonization option.

One ugly border smoothed-out in the east but another created in the west! Maybe you'll core Antwerp. Is Britain a threat?

How's your manpower situation? Were you really having any trouble in the last Bohemian war? You consistently out-killed them. Did they have enough to spare?

Britain is no real danger for me on the mainland, but their fleet is a nut that I haven't properly cracked. I have expanded mine since the last major British war though. Hoping for Antwerpen definitely, good for the map aesthetics, good for the economy - what's not to like? :)

After I took the Idea and got the tech for Regimental Camps (and built them everywhere :D) I haven't really had to consider manpower.

The Bohemian war played very much how the narrative went: for some reason, they concentrated all of their might in the western part of their nation this time, and it was a lot to handle despite their tech issues (a side effect of not having spies - I couldn't prepare for those troop positions since I couldn't see them due to not being able to use infiltrate administration). However, the east was completely defenseless so I could get warscore quickly there. I think they had enough men to spare as far as manpower goes, I've never seen this Bohemia have manpower issues at all. A total victory would require destroying the stacks, but I don't need a total victory and they've always been happy to get peace at the first opportunity ever since I was strong enough to win against them.

You should smoothen west borders, i don't like them looking like that. :D

I would if I could, trust me I don't like the look either. ;)

At least the borders look a bit better with both Lausitzs under your flag ;).

That's true! I was happy to lose that strange border shape so quickly.

That map has a mistake. Franken is the wrong color.

:rofl: I hear the Brunswick Cartographers' Guild may have an opening. I think you should apply, you seem to have what it takes!

EU3's map is very abstracted. In order to appreciate just how ugly the western border is now, here's a more "realistic" map of Brunswick. No neighbors, unfortunately.

Wow great work, thanks! :) How did you do it?

The western border may be ugly, but it has a very Holy Roman Empire look so it's fitting in that sense. :D

Well that's not ugly at all! It looks, dare I say, distinguished.

Indeed!

Not bad. And a nice looking map. I'm impressed how far you've gotten playing so gentlemanly!

Thanks! :)

1600-1608: Ahead of Their Time

The peace after the Bohemian war would only last for half a year. Lithuania, which was under Bohemian protection, asked for help against Tver, an aggressive nation that had recently reached Brunswick's borders by conquering Pskov.

3301.jpg

The war, however, was a short one, only lasting from April 1601 until May. Brunswick's forces overran the province of Pskov, and Tver was convinced to return freedom to that tiny nation in exchange for peace.

3302.jpg

Lithuania would shortly conquer Pskov, but there wasn't much Brunswick could do about that.

Worse news reached the court in December: Great Britain had re-annexed Scotland.

Hattendorf had no trouble winning the 1602 election, returning for his ninth term in the office. He then caught a lucky break in July 1604 as the people of Bamberg wished to be reunited with their brothers in Würzburg. The skilled diplomat had no trouble engineering a proper cause for war out of this.

3303.jpg

Brunswick's army leadership was deemed satisfactory in spite of general Gruebel's recent death, but the navy was a different matter. With the British likely to join any wars of their Bavarian ally, admiral Heinrich Julius Lindemann was tasked with leading Brunswick's war fleet. Unlike before, it was believed that the navy could cause serious problems for the Brits.

The reconquest of Bamberg was started in late August, with Styria joining the enemy coalition in addition to Great Britain.

3304.jpg

Bamberg was quickly occupied, while general Hehn's sizable army drove the British out of Antwerpen.

3305.jpg

Bavaria stroke back in early October, but a joint force of Brunswicker and Ansbacher soldiers led by general Ickelrath held off the Bavarian king and his men.

3306.jpg

On the British front, Antwerpen was taken while the enemy army was given chase and eliminated late in the month.

Ickelrath's army, free to act after Bavaria's army had suffered the earlier defeat, pushed forward to Franken, swiftly taking the province. The Bavarian king saw the hopelessness of the situation and capitulated. Bamberg was ceded to Brunswick on October 19th.

3307.jpg

Once again, the only thing to keep the war going was British stubborness. As before, Brunswick's troops marched towards British Brittany. In addition, an important enemy transport fleet was sunk after a landing in Antwerpen.

3308.jpg

Throughout the early year, the Brunswicker forces advanced and some insignificant British fleets were destroyed. Meanwhile, Hattendorf began to concentrate on domestic issues as well: further legislation made sure that Brunswick had no peers in the world as far as individual freedom went.

3309.jpg

General Hehn's death in November put a damper on the mood. Fortunately, he had already done his part in the war and had been back in Hannover for some months so no direct problems were caused by this.

In November and December, the scale of the conflict was expanded as the British wouldn't budge in the current situation. In an operation that wouldn't have been possible before, Brunswick landed troops in Ireland and occupied the British possessions there.

3310.jpg

Still, the British king was unwilling to give up. In early 1606, Hattendorf presented his enemy with a veiled threat - the construction of specifically modified versions of the traditional galleons, adding impressive weaponry, was started to send a message that the naval war was lost for good for the Brits.

3311.jpg

Like before, the British people were easier to convince than their administration. Facing unrest from his upset subjects, the British king finally agreed to sign peace at the end of May, sending Brunswick a small indemnity.

3312.jpg

With five days to go until election, the victory gave Hattendorf a popularity boost that allowed him to keep the Syndic position once again.

Weeks after the war, general Ickelrath announced his retirement, allegedly with the words "that was not what I signed up for". While it's unclear if this was really said or what it might have been about, a popular theory is that Ickelrath was refering to something about Ireland.

Even if Brunswick's successes on the battlefield often overshadowed cultural achievements, the nation's technological prowess was also notable. Generally the most advanced nation in the world, Brunswick really started to get recognition in the scientific circles when they heard of natural scientist Balthasar Van Gulik's breakthroughs in the field of astronomy.

3313.jpg

The Lithuanians of Trakai, already annoyed with their Bohemian overlords, were among those impressed. The advanced, freedom-loving Brunswick seemed like a utopia compared to the backwards and oppressive Czechs. The Lithuanians made their feelings well-known, and Hattendorf was happy to work this into a claim on the area.

3314.jpg

However, before the Syndic would act on those claims, some more fruit of that technological excellence had to be digested. It was found that the Caracole cavalry, while having a clear edge due to their firearms, relied on them too much. The idea that cavalry should still use aggressive charge tactics, simply supported by pistols, led to the birth of the deadly Gallop cavalry.

3315.jpg

Finally in August 1608 everything was ready for the declaration of war. The conflict was a short one, with the only notable battle taking place in Trakai itself in late September. There, general Brach held the line against the Bohemians.

3316.jpg

After the battle of Trakai, Brunswick's troops were free to take Bohemian land both in the west and in the east. Prague fell days after the battle, leading to Bohemia's surrender. Trakai was ceded to Brunswick, while Bohemia was forced to release its Italian holdings in Siena as a sovereign state.

The Lithuanians of Trakai had got their wish: they were now part of a modern and enlightened society - Brunswick.

3317.jpg

Brunswick's forces overran the province of Pskov, and Tver was convinced to return freedom to that tiny nation in exchange for peace.

Lithuania would shortly conquer Pskov, but there wasn't much Brunswick could do about that.

Looks like your allies have different ideas of what constitutes proper behavior.

You now have two borders with Franken. Does that make a free core on it any more likely?

Wow, you even defeated Britain in naval warfare - nothing can stop you now ;).
Indeed this is a feat! Whenever I play a land-based power and get into war with England/GB I experience the same stubbornness on their part to bring the conflict to an end; and unlike you I stand no chance against their fleet, which usually smothers me with blockades. What's your secret?

With your establishment of naval ascendancy over Great Britain it doesn't look like there's anyone left to challenge you. Just a case of sitting back and waiting for the other German states to fall into your hands.

Forward the unstoppable soldiers of Brunswick!

Unstoppable - but gentlemanly. They tip their hat, shake you by the hand...and then, and only then, will they shoot you in the face with a musket.

Hiya! I'd update now as I'm fully done with the chapter, but even when looking through my alcohol-shrouded eyes, I'm enough of a gentleman to have the common sense to realize that I should read it through in a different... umm... condition before posting. ;) So you'll see it tomorrow or the day after.

Oh and if you haven't already, do vote for your favorite AARs in the AARland Choice AwAARds.

Onwards the Brunswicker War Machine!

Onwards, to victory! Whenever there's a just and honorable reason, of course. ;)

Wow, you even defeated Britain in naval warfare - nothing can stop you now ;).

This was indeed a notable step! After not really being able to even compete in this area before, the difference is huge.

Looks like your allies have different ideas of what constitutes proper behavior.

You now have two borders with Franken. Does that make a free core on it any more likely?

Boundary disputes fire on the province level, so it should. I was thrilled to get Bamberg for that reason.

Lithuania isn't my ally - I'm merely protecting them out of the goodness of my heart like I do for so many other countries. I can't stop them if they choose to take up arms against some country that's outside my jurisdiction. :mellow: :rofl:

hopefully, but knowing how the game treats these sort of things it will take another 10 update before it happens

Such is the way of Paradox grand strategy games. :D

Indeed this is a feat! Whenever I play a land-based power and get into war with England/GB I experience the same stubbornness on their part to bring the conflict to an end; and unlike you I stand no chance against their fleet, which usually smothers me with blockades. What's your secret?

My secret? Simple equation, really: Press Gangs + awesome economy (+ an increasing amount of coastal provinces for forcelimit) = too many ships for anyone to handle. The sad fact is that in EU III, no matter the country or situation, the easy answer for ruling the seas is having a ridiculous number of big ships (preferably relatively modern ones of course, but nothing's quite as important as the amount). Of course there are some tricks, but I'm really not using anything here - when I wasn't strong I stayed in port, when I was I rocked. ;)

Onward German soldiers.

Victoglory awaits!

With your establishment of naval ascendancy over Great Britain it doesn't look like there's anyone left to challenge you. Just a case of sitting back and waiting for the other German states to fall into your hands.

Oh I won't sit back, I'm busy trying to engineer cores. I.e. doing relatively advanced stuff that could work (but never seems to in this particular game) while waiting for things to fall into my lap. If you believe in karma, all those boundary disputes would never come if not for all of my failed schemes. :happy:

Forward the unstoppable soldiers of Brunswick!

Forward, march! Assuming that forward is an honorable direction in the situation in question.

Unstoppable - but gentlemanly. They tip their hat, shake you by the hand...and then, and only then, will they shoot you in the face with a musket.

This. Hey, being a gentleman doesn't mean being timid. :D

Last edited:
My secret? Simple equation, really: Press Gangs + awesome economy (+ an increasing amount of coastal provinces for forcelimit) = too many ships for anyone to handle.
Aaah, me a MM player, I quite forgot that was so simple in the vanila.

The sad fact is that in EU III, no matter the country or situation, the easy answer for ruling the seas is having a ridiculous number of big ships (preferably relatively modern ones of course, but nothing's quite as important as the amount).
MM balances the whole naval aspect of the game.

Anyway, can't wait to witness the VICTOGLORY!

Aaah, me a MM player, I quite forgot that was so simple in the vanila.

MM balances the whole naval aspect of the game.

Yeah, I often wish I was able to have fun playing that mod instead of feeling like I'm working and that someone should pay me for it. :D Now I have to find other ways to keep some challenge, like the rules here.

Anyway, can't wait to witness the VICTOGLORY!

I love that word. One of AARland's services to mankind. :p

And some is coming up right now, including of the naval variety.

1608-1615: Integrating the Minor Dutch States

Typically, a successful war included controlling enemy territory. This had a surprising side effect in Erz, one of the Bohemian provinces often occupied by Brunswick in the numerous recent wars between the two nations: the locals, used to Brunswickers coming and going in the past decades, were starting to be quite fond of their part-time masters - while Brunswick's armies had the nasty habit of slaughtering any Bohemian soldiers they came across, they treated the general population with the kind of respect and kindness that Bohemian officials would never offer. In a notable turn of events, Erz became the first fully Czech province to find Brunswicker rule preferable over their native Bohemian one.

3401.jpg

Naturally, nothing could be done about this any time soon as peace had only just been signed.

In July 1610, Tver attacked Lithuania again and Brunswick came to the little nation's aid.

3402.jpg

Tver's troops were never able to properly threaten Lithuania, ending up on the defensive side instead as general Brach pushed into enemy territory. Only Tverian stubborness kept the war going even for the six months that it lasted. After the fall of Kholm and Rzhev into Brunswicker hands, Tver agreed to forget about their Lithuanian ambitions.

When looking for opportunities to expand, Brunswick's diplomatically skilled rulers had often managed to find supporters in surrounding states, and Gelre was no exception. Hattendorf spent the early part of 1611 working on the matter, and by late May the Syndic had produced a proper claim on the province of Limburg.

3403.jpg

Incorporating these small nearby nations was a priority, so war was declared practically instantly. Great Britain and Trier joined the conflict on Gelre's side, with only vassal Ansbach supporting Brunswick.

General Brach had been stationed near Lithuania due to the recent conflict there, and the war's sudden start meant that he was still on the way to the front when the first battles were fought. However, the opposing coalition had a very limited number of men, so any leadership issues weren't exposed as Brunswicker troops tore through the enemy armies.

By the beginning of September, Limburg had fallen and the terms of Gelre's surrender were clear.

3404.jpg

It was also easy to convince Trier to cease hostilities, but Great Britain was once again unwilling to listen to reason even though they didn't seem to have much to gain from prolonging the war. Seeking ways to force their hand, Hattendorf sent general Brach on another Irish campaign. By March 1612, the British holdings there were taken and the fleet took Brach and his men to British Brittany.

The war seemed to be going well, but there was nevertheless some sorrow in the nation as the legendary astronomer Van Gulik died in May. His court position was taken by Afonso de Brito, a controversial Portuguese Theologian.

3405.jpg

Progress in Brittany was relatively slow, but this didn't mean that Brunswick was idle: the navy was still active, catching a small British war fleet near their capital in September.

3406.jpg

With one British fleet now out of the picture and another one accounted for and stuck in the port of London, Brunswick became more daring. By mid-October, Great Britain's whole homeland was under a stifling blockade.

3407.jpg

While the British king still didn't capitulate, his subjects were getting perhaps more restless than ever. The Royal Navy had already shown its vulnerability in the previous Brunswicker war, but the current situation - a direct threat to the home isle - was taking this to quite another level. By December the British administration was in danger of losing control of the nation, and the king reluctantly agreed to put an end to the war. Hattendorf managed to convince the British monarch that the stability of peace was worth a small indemnity.

Brunswick wasn't the only nation waging a successful war during this period - France had retaken the part of their nation that had been controlled by Liege.

3408.jpg

For Brunswick, conquering Erz seemed like a logical next step. However, the unfortunate demise of general Brach led to a leadership vacuum that had to be filled first. Philipp Magnus Schütze, Johann Talken and Heinrich Karl Wassman were promoted to handle the coming conflict, which included Bavaria in addition to Bohemia.

3409.jpg

War was declared in September 1613, and Brunswicker troops poured in over Bohemia's western border. Once again, that part of the country was relatively lightly defended while large armies from both nations stared each other down in the east.

By November, much of the western part had fallen, forcing Bohemia to make a move. Unfortunately for them, the battle of Ostpreussen was an absolute bloodbath as Talken's troops slaughtered over twenty-thousand Bohemians while losing less than a thousand men.

3410.jpg

December featured three major battles: general Schütze laid a beatdown on 22000 Bohemians in two battles in the central part of their country, but Wassman, tasked with the Bavarian front, was less successful as the Bavarians pushed through into Brunswicker vassal Ansbach.

3411.jpg

Wassman's failure left Ansbach at Bavaria's mercy, and putting the vassal in harm's way was not an option. With no reinforcements to spare for that front without jeopardizing the Bohemian one, peace negotiations were swift. In early 1614, Bohemia gave up Erz in return for peace for everyone involved.

3412.jpg

Once again, Hattendorf was widely supported in the summer election. He began his eleventh term after a comfortable victory.

December saw the death of collector Hardenberg, and another foreigner, Gonçalo de Oliveira from Portugal, was hired for the position. A bit later, de Saint Victoret was replaced by an even more exotic collector, Granadan Muhammad Ibn Qasim.

3413.jpg

For decades now, all of the educated youth Brunswick produced had been needed for either the military or some mundane administrative tasks. It was becoming painfully obvious that the nation's recent foreign hirings weren't just about getting a fresh perspective - even middling talent was better than what Brunswick could currently offer. The administration was well aware of this, but nothing could be done immediately to tweak the education system without putting future day-to-day operations at risk.

But one thing that Brunswick, and its rulers in particular, could still produce just fine was claims on foreign territory. Brabant, the last independent Dutch nation, was seen as a relic from the past even by some of its population, and support for Brunswicker rule of Breda was simple for Hattendorf to find.

3414.jpg

As could be expected from a conflict pitting Brabant alone against Brunswick, the war was a short one. Hostilities lasted from late March 1615 until early May, when Breda was integrated into Brunswick.

3415.jpg

The borders have been cleared up nicely now. Although its not Germany yet, we can say this: Welcome to the North Germanic Union!

That was a lucky string of cores, for aesthetic purposes. Those Dutch provinces have lots of money, too!

Bohemia is starting to look foolish with you pinching their starting cores like that! But what will you do if you core Bohemia province itself?

France has recovered into a decent medium-sized country. You're a Boundary Dispute away from war with them (or maybe you should contrive to release some Imperial states). I guess this wouldn't be a problem?

Since Lithuania is now a two-province country, wouldn't it be more convenient if Tver conquered them, avoiding the possibility of having a core on the captirla you can't take?

Brunswick kind of looks like a fish now.

Last edited: