+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 27 ... LastLast

Thread: Gentlemen in Germany - a Brunswick AAR

People's Commissar of the Navy Demi Moderator Avindian's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneLeviathan: Warships
    March of the EaglesVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper FiSengoku
    Sword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    V2 BetaCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of Nations
    EUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica

Very good AAR so far, enjoy the format and the topic. Do you have any specific goals in mind?
    AARland Awards TsAAR -- Q3 ACAs have just begun! EU IV|CK II|Vicky II|HOI 3|Darkest Hour
    Consecrated blood waters my fields: a Hvitserk megacampaign -- Brand new!
    Sonderweg oder Anderweg? -- Part 3 of the Hohenzollerns Megacampaign -- Interactive and looking for players
    Tukhachevsky's Army and the Politburo -- an Interactive Soviet TFH AAR -- Updates|Administration -- Nearing its thrilling conclusion!
    Like what you see? Check out my Inkwell for awards and completed AARs!

If I use this color, I am speaking as a Demi-Mod. If you have any questions, please PM me directly. Forum Rules|Interactive AARs|AARland Rules #1|AARland Rules #2

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae Victis

I've been greatly enjoying your Cuzco AAR and this seems a spiffing idea for a new AAR. Top hole old boy, I shall be following (and I also promise to refrain from any further use of 'posh gentlemanly' language!).
    This AAR Soks
    WritAAR of the Week: 8 January 2012 and Weekly AAR Showcase: 15 April 2012

Are you Deshtined to suffer another kiss?
    Favourite EU Comedy AAR AARland Choice AwAARds 2010 (Q3) and 2011 (Q3)
    Character Writer of the Week: 5 December 2010

My Inkwell - Warning! This content is rated EP: Extremely Poor
    Fan of the Week: 7 September 2010, 27 February 2011 and 26 April 2012

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Mount & Blade: WarbandCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Subscribed. I really should start playing some more EU3 instead of reading AAR's

I like your style thus far. Subscribing for sure
    WritAAR of the Week
    3/8/2004 | 8/10/2014

Crusader Kings
    House of Threedrop [A Game of Thrones Mod AAR] - Ongoing | Rise of the Nerevarine [An Elder Kings Mod AAR] - Ongoing

Europa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryHearts of Iron III Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Malurous View Post

If this was DW or MEIOU I'd be terrified, but alas there's no such thing here. Unless you mean Ferrara?
    Oh He Who Will Not Be Mentioned is there, he's just in his "safehouse"
    Ferrara...poof, a mere flip flopper
    Now...TO THE SEA! To conquer the INCA! or the Aztecs, I'm not picky
    Or just TO THE SEA! Since I don't see how you'd pop a core on any Aztec/African/Indian/ROTW territory without the ability to build a boat, nay a ship.
    I was Sir blsteen, Knight of the Eastern West... in :One Last HurRAAh: A Milanese Empire Interactive AAR:

I was FOTW 11/25/09 and 9/12/10

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Mount & Blade: WarbandPride of Nations500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Quote Originally Posted by Malurous View Post
    Oh and I'm especially glad to have you in here as you've been an inspiration - while Children of the Sun is a very different style, I've done more or less this style before (in my Succession Game accounts) and any refinement I've done on it since has a lot to do with reading Yamato Destiny.
    That's very kind of you to say so! I've very much enjoyed reading Children of the Sun and it's obvious that you're a fine writer.

I've always seen Yamato Destiny as being composed mainly of my scrambling to provide semi-plausible reasons for gameplay decisions/events, which occasionally leads me into long digressions. I'm hoping to have a bit more of a considered approach to its continuation in V2, if I ever get the conversion done.
    AAR in progress
    Yet this will go onward the same: the Yamato Destiny - Continuation of the last AAR in Victoria 2. Last updated 17th October 2012

Completed AAR
    The Yamato Destiny: A Japan HTTT AAR

200k clubHoI AnthologyCities in MotionCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the Americas
    Deus VultEast India CompanyEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    LegioMagickaEuropa Universalis: RomeSengokuSword of the Stars
    The Showdown EffectVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisWarlock: Master of the Arcane
    CK2: Holy KnightEU3 Collectors Edition500k club

Update coming!

Quote Originally Posted by Avindian View Post
    Very good AAR so far, enjoy the format and the topic. Do you have any specific goals in mind?
    Thanks! Not really - a lot depends on the direction I happen to be allowed to expand to. And how the world develops.

Quote Originally Posted by morningSIDEr View Post
    I've been greatly enjoying your Cuzco AAR and this seems a spiffing idea for a new AAR. Top hole old boy, I shall be following (and I also promise to refrain from any further use of 'posh gentlemanly' language!).
    Thanks for the kind words, good to have you here as well, posh gentlemanly or not!

Quote Originally Posted by Tallfellow View Post
    Subscribed. I really should start playing some more EU3 instead of reading AAR's
    I'm fine with you just reading AARs.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry v. Keiper View Post
    I like your style thus far. Subscribing for sure
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by blsteen View Post
    Oh He Who Will Not Be Mentioned is there, he's just in his "safehouse"
    Ferrara...poof, a mere flip flopper
    Now...TO THE SEA! To conquer the INCA! or the Aztecs, I'm not picky
    Or just TO THE SEA! Since I don't see how you'd pop a core on any Aztec/African/Indian/ROTW territory without the ability to build a boat, nay a ship.
    Hehe... Overseas and/or islands are pretty much out of the question with the variant rules... Maybe the Inca will come here?

Quote Originally Posted by Dewirix View Post
    That's very kind of you to say so! I've very much enjoyed reading Children of the Sun and it's obvious that you're a fine writer.
    Thank you! Children of the Sun is a different beast as it's pretty much pure gameplay except for the "theatrical" segments (and the modern day survival horror ). Game world perspective and player's perspective require somewhat different things from the writer.

I've always seen Yamato Destiny as being composed mainly of my scrambling to provide semi-plausible reasons for gameplay decisions/events, which occasionally leads me into long digressions. I'm hoping to have a bit more of a considered approach to its continuation in V2, if I ever get the conversion done.
    I for one really hope you get it done, it would be great to see where that leads to.

I think the main thing I've tried to poach from your AAR (and others too, but mainly yours) is "scrambling to provide semi-plausible reasons for gameplay decisions/events". I think you did a heck of a job with that, however. I haven't been that good at transitions from one event or set of events to another (something you get away with in a gameplay AAR because you can just list stuff if you can't think of anything smart ) and that's something I've been trying to work on here.
    Last edited by Malurous; 05-03-2011 at 16:49. Reason: tag
    Read my Cuzco MEIOU AAR Children of the Sun! (ongoing)
    AARland Choice AwAARd: EU Gameplay Q1 & Q2 2011, Weekly AAR Showcase 17-10-2010,

Follow Gentlemen in Germany - a Brunswick AAR! (ongoing)

Participating in 1001 Sultans - A Jalayirids Succession AAR (ongoing)

WritAAR of the Week 24-5-2011, Fan of the Week 3-12-2009 & 15-1-2012
    Speed - A Castille (mini-?)AAR (finished)
    Took part in the HT Succession Game (finished)

200k clubHoI AnthologyCities in MotionCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the Americas
    The Showdown EffectVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisWarlock: Master of the Arcane

1408-1419: The Hehn Rebellion

After the war it was time to let the wounds heal. The initial funds were acquired by letting the mercenaries in Westfalen know that they weren't needed, getting a partial refund. Military spending was also heavily cut: everyone realized that this was only temporary.

To compensate for the annulled treaties, Heinrich negotiated alliances with Brabant and Trier, stronger nations than those that Brunswick had been associated with earlier. The traditional pact with Gelre was also signed.

The economic healing was complicated when Treasurer Schütze died of old age. There weren't any competent replacements available, so the King decided to alleviate the loss by once again lessening mercantilist restrictions, as well as by extending the land reforms to the new province of Westfalen.

Early 1411 was a good time for Brunswick: with the high income it was now estimated that the loan could be repaid, while the Palatinate finally gave up on the war.

Soon afterwards, Mecklenburg re-entered Brunswick's alliance.

Later in the year it became apparent that there was one wound that wouldn't heal: the King's condition was getting worse by the day. Finally on October 17th, after thirty-eight years on the throne and many important policy reforms, King Heinrich died of his injury.

With a young Karl Wilhelm, the nobles attempted to establish a council to temporarily lead the nation, but this turned out to be problematic. Born out of wedlock, Karl Wilhelm's imminent rise to the throne wasn't well received, and some nobles supported Johann Hehn as the King instead. A local noble, Hehn's family was an important one in Brunswick and had serious backing in Anhalt as well.

It all started badly for the loyalists: the cut military expenses led to poorly prepared defenders in the province of Brunswick. Hehn, having strong support in that area of the nation thanks to Anhalt being in close vicinity, was able to gather enough forces to successfully assault the city.

Hehn's army then continued towards Westfalen, but the royal military was quick to reorganize and managed to beat the rebels in a close battle outside Paderborn.

Still, Hehn did not give up. The national distress turned out to be a good motivator, and led to new advances in military technology.

In the next battle, the improvements surprised the rebels and gave the loyalists the upper hand. The usurper Johann Hehn was finally slain in the ensuing slaughter in late June 1412. The Hehn faction couldn't find another strong leader, so the rebellion died with him.

Unfortunately, in investigations carried over the next few months it was discovered that the Milanese advisor Lamberti had been conspiring with Hehn. Having access to budget documents due to his role as an economic expert, the Collector had leaked information regarding the temporary defensive budget cuts - and therefore weaknesses - to the usurper in hopes of personal gain. While the regency council tended to be lenient to ordinary people who had sided with the pretender, a traitor of Lamberti's stature was swiftly executed. Sadly any qualified people to take his place couldn't be found.

Despite losing some trade experts lately, Brunswick was able to accumulate enough cash by May 1413 when it was time to pay the loan the nation had taken during the conquest of Paderborn.

Feeling overworked as the only economic advisor in the court, the remaining Treasurer Schauseil finished the training of his late colleague's son, Anton Ulrich Schütze, to the same profession. Brunswick again had another trustworthy local advisor.

Not wanting to be undone, his own son, an able Natural Scientist, joined the court the next year.

Finally in June 1415, Karl I Wilhelm rose to the throne. His gifted half-brother Wilhelm was the next in line.

Next year there was an advance in naval technology, its roots in the previous King's obsession with reaching Morocco. While it wasn't seen as something that's ordinarily useful for the land-locked Brunswick and didn't get government funds as a result, some of the researchers Heinrich had appointed had continued working on the project on their own.

Only months later, Julius Schauseil proved his worth to the court as new production methods were introduced.

The father Schauseil had been lucky enough to see his son's triumph, but died of old age only about a year later, in August 1417. This wasn't the most high profile death of the year however, as the talented eleven year old heir Wilhelm fell ill late in the year and died on December 17th.

During the search for a replacement for Schauseil next year, Karl I Wilhelm and Brunswick's nobles proved that they had gotten over the civil war. As a gesture of goodwill to remove any remaining tensions, Hehn's son was hired as a court advisor.

This led to an unexpected bonus. Thanks to the Hehn family's ties to Anhalt and some discontent among the nobility of that country, the good treatment and demonstration of mercy had the effect of many important people in Anhalt yearning for Brunswick rule instead.

Karl Wilhelm wasn't a talented man in any way, but that didn't stop him from trying hard when an opportunity like this presented itself. Perhaps too hard: drawing up plans to attack Anhalt turned out to be too stressful for the poor man, and he died of a sudden fit of disease in the spring of 1419. He was only eighteen years old.

The following process showed the weaknesses of the decentralized feudal system that Brunswick utilized. With no clear successor, the nobles somehow ended up swearing allegiance to the King of Friesland.

Few could explain how this had happened, as most nobles felt hatred towards the vile Frisians - after all, they had humbled Brunswick in a recent war. This led to barbs flying between the two countries, so relations, already strained by the war, began falling further.

But for now, nothing could change the fact that Brunswick would be ruled by the foreign King Albrecht II van Egmont, the father of whom had caused the wound that eventually proved to be the death of King Heinrich.
    AARland Choice AwAARd: EU Gameplay Q1 & Q2 2011, Weekly AAR Showcase 17-10-2010,

People's Commissar of the Navy Demi Moderator Avindian's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneLeviathan: Warships
    March of the EaglesVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper FiSengoku
    Sword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    V2 BetaCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of Nations
    EUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica

An unfortunate but interesting turn. From a strictly gameplay perspective, how does one get out of a personal union?
    AARland Awards TsAAR -- Q3 ACAs have just begun! EU IV|CK II|Vicky II|HOI 3|Darkest Hour
    Consecrated blood waters my fields: a Hvitserk megacampaign -- Brand new!
    Sonderweg oder Anderweg? -- Part 3 of the Hohenzollerns Megacampaign -- Interactive and looking for players
    Tukhachevsky's Army and the Politburo -- an Interactive Soviet TFH AAR -- Updates|Administration -- Nearing its thrilling conclusion!
    Like what you see? Check out my Inkwell for awards and completed AARs!

If I use this color, I am speaking as a Demi-Mod. If you have any questions, please PM me directly. Forum Rules|Interactive AARs|AARland Rules #1|AARland Rules #2

Quote Originally Posted by Avindian View Post
    An unfortunate but interesting turn. From a strictly gameplay perspective, how does one get out of a personal union?
    One of the following:
    • Have negative relations with the senior partner (typically by insulting, which the "barbs flying" was) and the union ends when the monarch dies
    • Change to a republic
    • Fall to pretender rebels (which tends to lead to nasty policy slider changes)
    • Attack the senior partner - this counts as a war without a proper CB so there is a stability hit and the Emperor will join an internal war (like would be the case here)

And yeah, I find it interesting too. The game threw some exciting coincidences at me there as far as telling a story goes.

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryHeir to the Throne
    Rome GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Oh no! Still, it's good from an RPing perspective I think. The best part is that when you toss out the foreigner you might well get a decent King!
    A Blessing and a Curse: EUIV Narrative AAR! In Progress
    Downfall: A Byzantine Narrative AAR. See the fall of the mightiest empire the world has ever seen. On Hold 3rd Place OVERALL EU3 (Highest Narrative) AARland Choice Awards Q3 2012!
    The Grey Eminence: A British Narrative/History AAR. Witness the rise of Great Britain to world power! COMPLETE! WINNER EU - Narrative for AARland Choice AwAARds 2012 Q1!
    The Eternal Exile: Nation Hopping AAR with a mix of narrative and game-play. On Hold. | WINNER EU - Narrative for AARland Choice AwAARds 2011 Q1!

Winner: AAR Showcase 29/11/2011 | Winner: Character Writer of the Week 19/1/2012 | Winner: Fan of the Week 20/9/2010 and 20/8/2012 | I was Character Writer of the Week 13/12/2010

Insults, I believe. Then hope the king dies.

Sad to see, but gentlemen do not give up because of adversity.

Insults. Republics are not made by gentlemen, but by voracious politicians.

Rise up against Friesland! Liberty against the foreign king!
    WritAAR of the Week
    3/8/2004 | 8/10/2014

Crusader Kings
    House of Threedrop [A Game of Thrones Mod AAR] - Ongoing | Rise of the Nerevarine [An Elder Kings Mod AAR] - Ongoing

Quote Originally Posted by Ashantai View Post
    Oh no! Still, it's good from an RPing perspective I think.
    Yeah, and the senior nation was an interesting one considering recent history.

Fortunately, vanilla is very fast for me, so it won't take that long in real world time.

The best part is that when you toss out the foreigner you might well get a decent King!
    Hopefully that's the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Omen View Post
    Insults, I believe. Then hope the king dies.

Sad to see, but gentlemen do not give up because of adversity.
    True, gentlemen never give up, they hurl insults instead! I'm advocating a non-literal interpretation of "insult" in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by Morrell8 View Post
    Insults. Republics are not made by gentlemen, but by voracious politicians.
    Yes, insults are more gentlemanly than republics. At least you have noble people insulting.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry v. Keiper View Post
    Rise up against Friesland! Liberty against the foreign king!
    Will do!

Quote Originally Posted by Boris ze Spider View Post
    Those vile frisisans.
    Indeed. They have the nerve to start leading us after taking our cash and beating up our King? I gotta say that I don't know what our nobles were thinking.

Europa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryHearts of Iron III Collection

A PU with Friesland isn't the end...
    And wouldn't the gentlemanly thing to do is suffer under the PU and be polite while muttering under your breath?
    I was Sir blsteen, Knight of the Eastern West... in :One Last HurRAAh: A Milanese Empire Interactive AAR:

I was FOTW 11/25/09 and 9/12/10

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae Victis

Very well written, easily and seamlessly tying every event together to create a very good update, the civil war proving an especially good read. A pity that you are stuck in a personal union with Friesland but it should make for yet more interesting content.
    This AAR Soks
    WritAAR of the Week: 8 January 2012 and Weekly AAR Showcase: 15 April 2012

Are you Deshtined to suffer another kiss?
    Favourite EU Comedy AAR AARland Choice AwAARds 2010 (Q3) and 2011 (Q3)
    Character Writer of the Week: 5 December 2010

My Inkwell - Warning! This content is rated EP: Extremely Poor
    Fan of the Week: 7 September 2010, 27 February 2011 and 26 April 2012

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryHeir to the Throne
    Rome GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

The gentlemanly thing is to stab them...politely.
    A Blessing and a Curse: EUIV Narrative AAR! In Progress
    Downfall: A Byzantine Narrative AAR. See the fall of the mightiest empire the world has ever seen. On Hold 3rd Place OVERALL EU3 (Highest Narrative) AARland Choice Awards Q3 2012!
    The Grey Eminence: A British Narrative/History AAR. Witness the rise of Great Britain to world power! COMPLETE! WINNER EU - Narrative for AARland Choice AwAARds 2012 Q1!
    The Eternal Exile: Nation Hopping AAR with a mix of narrative and game-play. On Hold. | WINNER EU - Narrative for AARland Choice AwAARds 2011 Q1!

Winner: AAR Showcase 29/11/2011 | Winner: Character Writer of the Week 19/1/2012 | Winner: Fan of the Week 20/9/2010 and 20/8/2012 | I was Character Writer of the Week 13/12/2010

Too bad you will hve to wait to take teh core on anhalt. But i suppose you will never lose it if its same cultural group

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 27 ... LastLast