• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Why don't you just merge with Total War guys now...

Like I said in a previous post:

I don't see any relation between the total war series and paradoxian clauswitz games. They are completely different. Just because they're set in the same era, and fall under the "strategy" category, that doesn't mean one replaces the other. It's like comparing between pants and sweaters just because they fall under "clothes" category.

They are such different games that don't even compete with eachother.

Like I said in a previous post:

They are such different games that don't even compete with eachother.

The difference is the relation. A coperation between creative assembly and paradox would make the most epic strategy game ever. Just imagine, a rome game or an acient Japan game with the best from Paradox and the best from creative assembly...

Seeing Johan's silence in the other thead I assume that the end date is not to be disclosed as of yet?

The game should end when you unify Japan (and historically, we could consider that it happened with the Meiji restoration and the end of the Boshin War in 1869, as the Tokugawa shogunate didn't totally unified Japan).

The game should end when you unify Japan (and historically, we could consider that it happened with the Meiji restoration and the end of the Boshin War in 1869, as the Tokugawa shogunate didn't totally unified Japan).
So last 200 years of the game we should spend doing nothing and then get overrun by rebels? ;)

Can someone confirm or deny from the developers if this is going to use the CK 2 character, political, and marriage engine?

Obviously there would be differences (bastard children were more acceptable in Japan and there was no Pope... well there was the Emperor), but overall there is a good deal of similarity between CK and the Sengoku era.

Technically, Toyotomi unified Japan, but could not get the Shogun title because of his low birth. Had Ieyasu not revolted against his son, the same thing could have happened starting with Toyotomi's line. The simple fact that the Shogun had formed did not mean that 300 years of peace would have lasted. Many of the vassals still retained their armies.

Also, is Korea and Manchu included? Toyotomi did invade Korea before he died.

Release date will surely be at least summer 2012. With CK2, the HoI3 expansion, and a probably Vicky2 expansion in the work, Paradox is a busy company indeed. Not that I mind it; having a lot of time between releases lets me enjoy them more. :D

Sure, but this is a newly created third internal team, with Sengoku being their first project; the main team is working on CK2, and the expansion team is working on the HOI3 expansion.

So last 200 years of the game we should spend doing nothing and then get overrun by rebels? ;)

You could be the rebel! ;)
Or you could try to be faster than historically.
The game would end when japan is totally unified. If it last 200 years it will be because of your playstyle.
game should end on an objective or an event, not on a arbitrary date.

Or convert the data to EU3.

Also, is Korea and Manchu included? Toyotomi did invade Korea before he died.
Looks like not. But the focus of the game is in unifying Japan, not in going conquest spree after it. Korea would also require China. Not only did it participate in the war on Korean side, but conquering China was Hideyoshis ultimate objective. Adding all that would be quite a lot of extra work.

Sure, but this is a newly created third internal team, with Sengoku being their first project; the main team is working on CK2, and the expansion team is working on the HOI3 expansion.

It's not a "new" team, it's just one of the teams, and the teams switch members depending on the projects.

The game looks like it might be interesting but couldn't it have been given a more memorable name, or at least a relevant English sub-title like Shogun has?

I don't know much about far-eastern history so when I saw the title of the e-mail "Paradox Interactive Announce Sengoku" I assumed it was going to be a puzzle game, an impression further reinforced by the plain logo at the top of the e-mail. It wasn't until I got to the bit that said 'grand strategy' and especially 'internally developed' that I started to take an interest and actually looked up what the name referred to.

Sengoku looks like a very interesting game but I cannot help but think that this is another game similar to EU-Rome, with a smallish map and much the same flavor overall. Thoughts?

Well, I like Rome, especially with the VV addon.
But it looks more like it will be a game similar to CKII. If they make it complex enough, it has great pontential. Imagine yourself starting as a vassal, uniting a clan and conqer japan on a hard long road.

I will definitely buy it. Like every handmade paradox game :)

I liked EU:Rome, but I think it's problem is that there wasn't the same level of character interaction as would be from a CK style game, which Sengoku apparently is supposed to be.

The Sengoku period is all about uniting the kokujins of a koku, and use that force to conquer nearby provinces. Most sengoku daimyos functioned as mere leader of a coalition of minor lords from a province, and their realms collapsed when the minor lords abandoned them (doesn't help that most sengoku daimyos started as deputies of the true owner of each koku). If this is modelled, it would be similar to CK in how you need to appease and maintain the support of your vassals, which I think have a lot of potential.

Seeing Johan's silence in the other thead I assume that the end date is not to be disclosed as of yet?

Well, the sensible end date would be Genna Enbu in 1615, which marked the end large scale warfare for a couple of hundred years. Otherwise, there's the Battle of Sekigahara in 1600, which heralded the start of the Edo Period, but which would leave the Toyotomi as unfinished business. The worst case scenario would be IMHO an end date at the destruction of the Ashikaga Shogunate in 1573, which marked the start of the Azuchi-Momoyama Period, but Japan was highly fragmented then, and the most famous sengoku daimyos were still active.

Last edited: