• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Spruce

Straight Templar Monk
41 Badges
Jul 30, 2001
Visit site
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Prison Architect
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • Diplomacy
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Victoria 2
I'm researching Heavy armour as Germany, I'm now up to the 1941 tech but still don't see the Tiger picture when the Schewere Abteilung is selected ? I see some generic picture that resembles the picture of the previous generation of that heavy tech, it doesn't resemble a Tiger

Is this bugged or what ?

When I select my armour units (regular armour) I see the corresponding pz III or pz IV depending on the tech level.

playing 2.04 patch SF

Maybe you havent got to Tiger tank levels of tech yet?

In the original files the only German heavy tank picture is named "GER_heavy_armor_brigade_0.tga". As far as I remember this picture never shows up even with the first model. In fact it shows a Tiger and therefor should be named "GER_heavy_armor_brigade_1.tga" because of this line in the models.csv: "GER_heavy_armor_brigade_1;PzKpfw.VIE Tiger;PzKpfw.VIE Tiger;PzKpfw. VIE Tiger;;PzKpfw.VIE Tiger;;;;;;;;;x". When the file is renamed the picture properly shows up for the tiger model.

1) Andergaster thanks, I try to understand your reply, but I'm not getting it. What to do ?

2) What I don't get it is that the other units all have evolving pictures (pz III - pz IV etc.), but the heavy armour it's always the same. That seems weird...

The unit pictures are located in "x:\...\hearts of iron III\gfx\models\" or for example "c:\program files\paradox interactive\hearts of iron III\gfx\models\". These files are tga files. "GER_heavy_armor_brigade_0.tga" is the only picture for German heavy tanks (in vanilla HOI3/SF). In fact it should be named "GER_heavy_armor_brigade_1.tga" to appear with the Tiger model in game. --> just rename that file and you should see the Tiger picture with your heavy armour brigades named "PzKpfw.VIE Tiger". If you want to do more: To open these files in Windows you could use programs like "irfanview" for example. "Gimp 2" is a good and free tool for people who want to edit the files.

The "major nation immersion pack" is a mod which you can find in the mod section of this forum. The mod includes more models, model pictures, model names and tech names. It includes all majors with the exception of Japan.

- The downsides:
1. because of the many new models in this mod the dlc tank sprites for Germany, USSR and US do not show the proper tank model anymore.
2. The mod is designed for the 1936 scenario only. The changed models might break the game ballance in later games (e.g.: the tank model 5 is not a Panther but maybe a IIIN or the Iowa is suddenly a Colorado class battleship of the 1920s)
3. The mod is designed for an older game version and especially the "common weapons of ww2" dlc might pose a problem here (not sure)

I use that mod too. But I made my own adjustments and I did not copy and paste the mod but was checking every line in every file whether I agree with the changes or not.
If you only play the 1936 campaign and if you do not care that the sprites do not match with the model names this mod is :cool:

regarding unit pictures in vanilla HOI: I still wait for the HOI version which shows a picture of the Japanese Kongo-class battlecruiser for the Kongo-class battlecruiser instead of the battleship Fuso. Since the first game the Paradoxian-Fuso claims to be a Fuso and a Kongo:wacko:

Andergaster, that didn't work changing it to "GER_heavy_armor_brigade_1.tga"

are you sure,

I have a clean install of the game as backup and just tested this: Starting a 1938 campaign with Germany > brigade build screen > heavy armor brigade > Tiger VIE/picture: T-35 > ctrl+tab > rename file (exchange 0 with 1) > maximise HOI3 > clicking on a different brigade than on the heavy tank brigade again > picture: Tiger!

So I am pretty sure that this is the problem. When it does not show up, the file is either broken or there is something wrong with the filename. The picture showing up on the Kingtiger (e.g. in the 1940 campaign=model 1941?) is of cause again the T-35. When you want to see the Tiger picture for all German heavy tank versions just make copies of that file and name them from GER_heavy_armour_brigade_1 to ..._brigade_9.

Same problems for SU with not only Heavy but any other pictures. Eg. first heavy is strange, second - KV-1, next will again display strange (common?) picture. Same for MNT, art, etc.

Yeah noticed the problems with the pictures. Gonna try the mod, thaks joeldaalv.

But what is the point of researching and building heavy armour? It costs a huge investment in leadership and production while the heavy armour component/regiment slows down an entire armoured or motorised division due to its lack of speed (4/5 mph I think instead of 9 mph)!

The only use I can think of for a heavy armour component is defensive. But is the investment worth it? And wouldnt it be smarter to build more and better medium tanks instead?

It would have been nice if this had been setup correctly from the beginning, as it was in HOI 1&2.

2nd'd. Has it been reported as a bug so they fix it for the next expansion? There are many little things I find annoying that I am surprised weren't fixed in the last patch as they don't sound like they'd take that long to fix <_<

So is it a bug then ?

A heart of iron game without the infamous Tiger tank, what it is going on ... why are we even discussing 2.04 ?

the pictures were discussed several times and it was also discussed why paradox almost certainly won't fix it.
there are enough mods available and if you don't like them fix the pictures yourself.

the pictures were discussed several times and it was also discussed why paradox almost certainly won't fix it.
there are enough mods available and if you don't like them fix the pictures yourself.

First of all, I wasn't aware that this had been discussed several times. I payed the money for both vanilla game and SF, then put the game back into the fridge as it was not performing well at release. Now I come back again with the new patch and have some questions as any customer could have.

Second, people will be coming up with this again and again. Tiger tank picture not in a grand strategy WW2 is very weird. Imho, such a thing should not fall into categorie - to be modded and stuff. For sure if Pz III and PZ IV etc. is in the game, but not the Tiger ?

Third, personally spoken - as a father of 2 young children, having virtually no more time left to play Paradox games, I'm very disappointed with such matters. Late at night I jump behind my computer if I find some time to spare, and then I want to rock with my Tiger tank crushing the allies and commies - and not with some poor look a like. And not go looking for mods and stuff to play with.

Everybody is talking about "what the customer really wants", so that's how I feel - nobody touches my Tiger tank in a WW2 grand strategy game. What's next - Crusader kings II purified from any historical immersion ? This really tastes bad ...

Last edited: