• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Except for the fact that Sweden did have colonies in the New World....

You could omit Sweden from such a game though, like Colonization did.

We didnt have Sweden in Rome either, and the goal was to conquer the world there too :)

That rise my hopes again for a Dark Age game because during all this era, the goal was to rebuild the Universal empire, and at some point to convert everyone (muslims invasion). I think that could also be an Alexander the Great game, and I would not be so deceived by that, but I honestly think that Dark Age is an era that is not covered enought by games. And, indeed, China could deserve some love, as well as Japan.

Except for the fact that Sweden did have colonies in the New World....

So did Kurland.

We're talking real countries here.

The Persian Empire was conquered by one white Macedonian with a spear, therefore instead of including Persia as a playable country it will be represented as colonizable territory.-Paradox, on EU: Alexander.

The hint cleary says conquering the world is the goal. If the hint is not misleading, which of course can be, then the goal really is to conquer the world! I mean, there usualy is no goal, you just do whatever you want to do, but if the hint says that the goal is to conquer the world, then this is a game with a very clear and defined objective: to conquer the world (I thought I should clear that out). And in a game where conquering the world is the one objective, then factions must be balanced, which points out to a fantasy game. Or alexander where you only play alexander.

Why not "classic ancient era" game which covers all of this:
- Old Greek city-states era
- Alexander era (thus the "sun will shine")
- Roman era (early kingdom and republic, maybe empire)

While parts of this covers same time period and location as EU:R, it is based on broader era and will replace EU:R as "kind of" sequel (not direct one as game will be differently branded).

I would be very happy with this game.

The new hint seems to confirm what I proposed in my previous post (on the thread about the hint # 4).

In fact, Alexander the Great had designed to conquer the world known at the time. He wanted to combine East and West, which gave birth to the Hellenistic civilization.

Viking Age, maybe?

Somehow I don't see how Japan is out of the question:

- There are swords.
- Conquering the world (i.e. conquering Japan) is the only possible winning solution for ending Sengoku Jidai
- It has great potential for gameplay
- It's quite a current topic (*cough* Total War *cough*)
- the Sun seems a very good hint for Japan

I don't see Alexander/Greece as a plausible solution. "Conquering the World" can't possibly be a "permanent" solution, i.e. a victory condition here - remember, Alexanders actually DID just that, but his heirs failed at keeping the empire together. The area of Alexander's empire was not as cut-off as Japan during the Sengoku Jidai (or China during 3K/CQ periods, which might also be a solution) and just conquering all of it hardly seems like a permanent victory, even within the scale of a game.
It's no secret that I would not really like an Alexander-based game, but I also think that it won't happen.

Guys, I think what Johan might be really trying to tell us with this hint is simply that this is in fact a grand strategy game and not some weird new thing like an online game or whatever. Maybe we are looking too much into it.

Conquer the world? Well, who got closest? Let's see...

Mongol_Empire_map.gif

Oh right, the Mongols. The sun thing? Yeah, they would've conquered Japan too if the weather was nicer.

To find out what they are developing we must first ask what haven't they covered, timeline wise and feature wise.

Timeline wise they already have 280 BC - 27 AD 1066 - 1820 AD 1836 - 1945 AD

Feature wise, well you can try to figure that out :rofl:

The hint cleary says conquering the world is the goal. If the hint is not misleading, which of course can be, then the goal really is to conquer the world! I mean, there usualy is no goal, you just do whatever you want to do, but if the hint says that the goal is to conquer the world, then this is a game with a very clear and defined objective: to conquer the world (I thought I should clear that out). And in a game where conquering the world is the one objective, then factions must be balanced, which points out to a fantasy game. Or alexander where you only play alexander.

Why do people forget that PI mentioned that it was goal in Rome as well?
In other words, that means that it happened in time when some nation tried to conquer everything on map. But as Rome, it is not a must-have goal. It is just supposed to be achievable (the opposite to most of other games they make where they want to stop the player from conquering everything).

If this is a Sengoku conquer the (known) world game, then we'll have Korea, China, Luzon and Cambodia on the map, since Toyotomi Hideyoshi invaded Korea before he united Japan, and legend says that his ultimate goal is to conquer China, if he invade China a bit later, who knows, he might succed

Conquer the world? Well, who got closest? Let's see...

Mongol_Empire_map.gif

Oh right, the Mongols. The sun thing? Yeah, they would've conquered Japan too if the weather was nicer.

But on that basis... the British Empire was bigger, swords were used and the sun never set on the British Empire...
(But Sweden would be there...)

I'd wish for an ancient grand strategy game... or dark ages.

Status
Not open for further replies.