• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Understood, "shining sun" belonged to Macedonia; Vergina Sun
150px-Vergiasun.svg.png

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vergina_Sun

I am still certain this game is about Ulm. Isn't subjugating the world the same as conquering it?

Because it is a completely new game, not a sequel to a previous franchise. EU = Europa Universalis.

Making a grand strategy, like Pdox do, then not naming it EU does not necessarily a completely new game make.

Could be Alexander the Great.
There are swords, Macedonia is quite a hot place, there would be no Sweden in such a game and Alexander surely aimed at conquering the world.

I'm not sure how this would sell though.

i tell you what, i am figuring this is the way they'll go and i would buy it. here's to hoping its not a fantasy game, would not buy that.

An Alexander era game would be awesome, if they redesign the Rome concept from the ground up.

Separate "court characters" from "all other characters in this kingdom". Make kingdoms and other polities more "ad-hoc" creations, rather than the fundamental entities that the game revolves around. Make battles matter more! Allow events to be triggered when you are losing a battle, or are winning, or upon losing it.

Find a way to interact with "barbarian lands", that does NOT rely on them being "polities"!!!! Stop treating barbarian lands as empty provinces with the occasional army spawn.

Allow on-the-fly creation of "alliances of convenience" - as in, let the player contact an AI nation and ask whether they want to be part of an attack on a neighbour, within the next 6 months. Stop treating all alliances as for-life-compacts.

Let the player have some sort of influence on training and organization of the armies that are levied from the provinces. Let there be a difference between calling just the nobles and their retainers, and calling the peasant / city levies.

And: Let there be fun with "roving characters", i.e. guys who travel across the map, going from one court to another. Like, mercenary captains, prophets, exiled leaders.

Is a strategic only game based on Alexander fun? I think without tactical combat both Alexander and EU.Shogun would be boring.

Thank you! Probably the best argument against an Alexander game is that it really wouldn't be all that fun.

Think about it: unless they added real time battles (which would be awesome), how would running around conquering provinces with a professional army led by a 9/9/9 general against militia grade troops and standard generals?

I think more than anything its going to be Sengoku Jidai, or perhaps the fabled sci-fi paradox game I'm waiting for.

I see a few possibilities. First: Ancient world, possibly starting in the time of alexander the great, his flag was the sun. Could extend for a longer period though. Only problem is that swords, while they existed, was very uncommon and not used for battle. I think at the time of Alexander, only the persians had iron swords.
Second possibility. The far east. China usually considered themselves the world, and China was internally seen as the entire civilized world. Japan could be included, but both glory and sun was symbols also used in china.
Third: Something completely different, not in same form as previous paradox games.

Last edited:
It could still be Gengis Khan conquering the World known to him
It could also still be The 400-1000 ad period with mediterranean and western asia and north africa
It could also be the colonizing of the americas by the european powers
they all involve swords, no sweden and definitely plenty of sun.
A game about ancient China factions trying to unite their country would also be possible and fun with these hints
A fantasy game with plenty of factions and a large campaign would also be possible.

+1
way to make it obvious paradox :(

How many other Empire's conquered pretty much what they thought was the entire known world.
China comes to mind. Until recently, they have always pretty much disregarded anything outside China as irrelevant.

But one empire which definitely did NOT conquer pretty much what they thought was the entire know world was Alexander's. They knew full well about the existance of places like Italy, Iberia and the rest of the Mediterranean world. Also, India. Maybe if Alexander had lived longer he'd have turned west, but as it was, he only conquered about half of it (an impressive feat all the same, mind you).

Could be uniting Japan, with Japan being the only thing covered.;) Like a deeper version of the damiyo dynamic of Magna Mundi.

Status
Not open for further replies.