• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, looks like a fantasy scenario now or maybe something completely unexpected. I wouldn't mind. The last fantasy world conquest games that got me hooked were Fantasy General and Master of Magic. I wouldn't be averse to try PI's brand of real-time strategy in a fantasy world.

We didnt have Sweden in Rome either, and the goal was to conquer the world there too :)
Wait, so it was actually a trick hint? Cool, my money is on China again! After all, the goal of every single strategy game set in there is to unify the Middle Kingdom, which is the only civilized part of the world after all :D

On the other hand, this could rule out a Roman Empire game. After all, the "world" would be already conquered from the beginning...

Conquer the world + Sword = Alexander the great :)
I would go for a Rome themed game, but we already know it is a new, unrelated game...
And i hope conquer the world means there are no map limits !

I agree.And Macedonia have sun on flag.

It does sound quite a bit like it will be about Macedonia, most likely Alexander the Great...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/62/Flag_of_the_Republic_of_Macedonia_1991-1995.svg

MacedonEmpire.jpg

Although I have some reservations regarding:

- Playable countries (and thus how fun such game would be - provided that they continue with the grand strategy approach)
- How it would sell (they would not develop a game that would not sell!)

*sigh of relief it's not japanocentric*

*growing concern it might be fantasy oriented*

*glimmer of hope for Risk*

That sounds like a very narrow scope. Both area (Balkan via Asia Minor to India) and time (maximum two decades, right?). Though I'm open to arguments to the contrary. ;)

That is true. I would find a game about Alexander the Great's campaigns and nothing more lame. It might feature Alexander the Great though, and try to cover the entirety of a large portion of Ancient history?

An ancient Grand Strategy spanning a long period of time? But I would hate to see a game that has nothing more interesting to it than conquering the world.

That sounds like a very narrow scope. Both area (Balkan via Asia Minor to India) and time (maximum two decades, right?). Though I'm open to arguments to the contrary. ;)

Those are arbitrary constraints, seeing as I'm sure Paradox would find ways to make it bigger (extremely detailed map?) and longer (inclusion of hours into the equation?). Plus it could be a game set in the Ancient Era, not just the Alexander timeline.

Yep.
That's what makes AtG only a valid candidate.
Probably something with a wider time-line would be more appropriate.
("The sun will shine", meaning that Alexander empire will rise at some point in the game)

I'd be very excited by a game featuring Greek internal politics ala Rome but more detailed.

Perhaps a purely colonial game where the nations to play are Spain, England, Portugal, Netherlands and France fighting for control of the new world and trade routes to the east.

There'd be no Sweden, there'd be swords because swords an' stuff, and the sun that rises and never sets on a global empire.

Alexander sounds very likely indeed, the hints fit very well, but I see a few problems with it. First, it would probably have to be terribly short. Even if the grand campaign started when Philip II started his reign, you'd have about 36 years until Alexander's historical death, and by then if even you played historically you'd have most of the "world" in your hands already (unless the map is extended from Iberia to the whole of India). Even if you extend the timeline after that, it's just 79 years before the period covered in EU:Rome begins (359 BC to 280 BC). That's why I'd see it working better as an EU:Rome expansion.

Another problem would be the possible lack of playable countries, and especially of playable interesting countries who can actually do something in the available time. Unless of course they make the game so that any country can do what Macedonia did when played the "right" way. I'm not sure how I'd feel about that, to tell the truth...

Alexander seems far more likely now...

Hopefully it'll be a long game starting all the way back during the age of classical greece though :)
Either that or it could continue beyond Alexander and feature the diadoci and the early rise of Rome (something not actually covered in the game Rome). That would mean paradox would have to work out some sort of mechanism for empires falling though which is still unheard of in their games (and so I would welcome it, but doing that and keeping a game fun is surely a hard feat).

I suppose a game about the Mongols (sun will shine though?) or a fantasy game is also still possible.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.