• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
China comes to mind. Until recently, they have always pretty much disregarded anything outside China as irrelevant.

But one empire which definitely did NOT conquer pretty much what they thought was the entire know world was Alexander's. They knew full well about the existance of places like Italy, Iberia and the rest of the Mediterranean world. Also, India. Maybe if Alexander had lived longer he'd have turned west, but as it was, he only conquered about half of it (an impressive feat all the same, mind you).

But, Alexander had every intention of conquering anything and everything he came across. If not for an early death who knows? There might not have been a Rome. I think that an Ancient game is the best idea, I'm already starting to get tons of ideas for expansions:)

Learn something every day.

For god's sake don't learn that :) It is not true...Iron swords had been used in Greece for at least seven hundred years before Alexander the Great. The Mycenean palaces were supposed to be destroyed by iron yielding Greek-Dorian tribes. In any case, by the time of the first Athenian democracy, about 200 years prior to Alexander, iron swords were the norm in Greece...

I'm still hoping for a fantasy or New World game. A New World game to be a spiritual successor of Colonization would be awesome, since the remake was som sadly abandoned and flawed.

I still have hope for a pre-Alexander, early civilizations game.

-No Sweden (Self explanatory)
-Swords (Makes sense)
-The Sun will shine (Discovery of first philosophy or agricultural techs)
-World Conquest (Conquest of Mediterranean basin +Mesopotamia +India +China)

But, Alexander had every intention of conquering anything and everything he came across. If not for an early death who knows? There might not have been a Rome. I think that an Ancient game is the best idea, I'm already starting to get tons of ideas for expansions:)
I know, world conquest was indeed Alexander's goal. What's more, Johan claimed that world conquest was the objective, but that doesn't necesarilly mean it has historically been completed in whichever setting they have chosen. I was just answering Darkarbiter's claim that Alexander achieved it and also trying to point out that Project Glory being about the Macedonian Empire is not as foregone a conclusion as many people here seem to think :) There are still plenty of settings which would fit with all hints, after all.

Last edited:
Ancient times, clearly. "World conquest" term would not be used for Japan game. Sun was a symbol for many ancient cultures. And there were swords.

Japan does indeed seem to be off the table.

An Alexander the Great game looks a good candidate now. But, I think an ancient period game involving Egypt in a starring role is possible as well. The sun was pretty darn important to them and they were certainly interested in conquest, although they weren't as successful as Alexander.

Conquering the world is the goal.

Now that sounds very risky!

Perhaps a purely colonial game where the nations to play are Spain, England, Portugal, Netherlands and France fighting for control of the new world and trade routes to the east.

There'd be no Sweden, there'd be swords because swords an' stuff, and the sun that rises and never sets on a global empire.

Except for the fact that Sweden did have colonies in the New World....

Alexander did intend to conquer India before he was beaten,so I guess that covers almost the entire known world of the time-east of Greece.

If the game is going to include Alexander the Great, hopefully it is larger in scope than just covering Alexander. As a couple of people have said, an ancient world game could be quite fun.

Alexander did intend to conquer India before he was beaten,so I guess that covers almost the entire known world of the time-east of Greece.

Not only India, he was also aiming for Arabia and Carthage.
He even gave orders of building a massive warfleet to conquer all of north-africa!

As far as Besuchov is leading the new developing team, and Divine Wind has been his last work, I wonder if Paradox is making profit of the inversion made to bring Far East to EU universe properly... and continue developing a brand new game from it.

So... expecting Asia Universalis (was not somewhat like an expansion or remake of Europa Universalis II called 'Asian chapters'?)

I'm guessing an Alexander (era) game too.

Looking at their upcoming games list, Paradox pretty much has all major historical era's covered (even a fantasy and sf game) except the ancient period.

A Japan game would be too soon after Divine Wind, I think. That, and Shogun, of course.

Personally, I would have preferred a remake of Ageods Great Invasions (covering roughly 350-1066) but the "sun will shine" hint seems to contradict that. That, and "no Sweden". Also, too close to CK2, I guess. Too bad.

So Alexander then. Now, I like the Ancients. It 's my favorite historical backdrop. I like Alexander even more. Fascinating man. But, indeed, as others have said, will he make for a interesting game? Conquering the world, all very well. But no real need for deep diplomacy then. Nor deep strategy, aside from securing supply lines and stuff like that. I guess an Alexander game would be more focussed on tactical manoeuvres, formations and troop morale. But that would imply a tactical map mode.

Hm. We'll know soon enough. Looking forward to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.