• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
best not bet if any... whatever it is usefull for someone with good production base. Not one of the best though, but still nice one. The best are the military ones - everyone need them, even naval country. Smithian economics is not always. Sometime if you have higher tax than production, buearocracy can be better... also the trade can be more profitable sometimes. If you don't have any land/military ideas it does not mean you don't need them, it just mean you need others, and have no place for them.

EDIT: Also it is late time idea, so it makes it worse one.

If somebody is particularly adventurous, I'd love to see which would be better for my economy -- the +20% production from Smithian Economics (Production is my single biggest revenue right now) or the -20% Land Maintenance cost from Regimental System (my single highest cost).

If somebody is particularly adventurous, I'd love to see which would be better for my economy -- the +20% production from Smithian Economics (Production is my single biggest revenue right now) or the -20% Land Maintenance cost from Regimental System (my single highest cost).

It is hard to say without seeing your economy. But i thought regimental system gave minus to recruitment time...

It is hard to say without seeing your economy. But i thought regimental system gave minus to recruitment time...

It did, but that changed in DW.

Here's my thoughts, Regimental System will increase the money your are actually recieving, Smithian Economics will increase the number of money you can invest.

That's a good thought.

I'm working on Chapter 15 as we speak -- the contest is still going for sweet, sweet luchre in the way of province naming action! Any non-Eurasian province is up for grabs. It will be really obvious (or at least I think so ;) ) after this upcoming update.

Chapter 15: Korea and the Indian Road

March 1670: Aleut will produce fur. Sadly, we're about two hundred years too early for the gold rush. :( We do get another free Constable, thanks to some bored farmers, in Kuznetsk. It's a shame they never build anything else.

May 1670: Korea is forced to release Chagatai by the Jalayrids. Why, thank you! A tasty snack! Also, for the first time (odd since it's the first NI I got), the "National Bank pays dividends" fires, for 100 free ducats.

June 1670: Korea starts trying to spy on Russian territory -- careful now, that could get you in trouble.

July 1670: I find out there are plenty of slaves in Rio de Oro.

August 1670: I move my NF to Thar -- I'd really like border friction on Bihar, please!

November 1670: The natives of Koda adopt Orthodoxy as their religion.

February 1671: Jugjur cores.

May 1671: Erserum converts to Orthodoxy.

June 1671: Albazinsky cores.

July 1671: Our favorite event, agricultural revolution, fires. +2 tax to Kursk.

August 1671: Lest you think life is roses for Russia, I lose most of my production research for being heretical.

October 1671: Tripoli wants military access, probably to attack the Mamluks. Knock yourselves out!

November 1671: Manchu collapses, restoring Ming. They trade places a bunch of times during this AAR; at the moment Manchu is an OPM in Beijing. Trebizon also converts.

December 1671: Bohemia warns me, one of the few times in the game I need to take one seriously, if not too seriously. Believe me Bohemia, I have no intentions on your neighbors. Not yet, anyway. Nadym joins the conversion parade.

January 1672: Butalsk cores and it's time for a slider move, in this case toward Mercantilism. I lose a couple of merchants, one in Venezia and one in Nanjing.

May 1672: Bulgaria warns me this time. Bulgaria, I've fought Bohemia, killed Bohemians, had military access with Bohemians, and you, sir, are no Bohemia.

June 1672: Lady Luck wakes up from a two year nap and gives me a border friction CB on Korea. I'll wait just a little longer.

August 1672: Now that is a leader we can all be proud of. If I don't mention re-electing him, assume it's because I was giddy he lived for another election.

chapter15august1672.jpg

January 1673: Another quality CB, this time Tribal Conquest on Candar. I'm just burning off enough infamy before unleashing the Russian armies upon my enemies!

March 1673: I have a great harvest and gain 50 ducats in Production Technology. Look, with my economy, 500 ducats is a rounding error. 50 ducats is what I have in my couch cushions.

April 1673: Tashkent converts.

May 1673: Since QftNW apparently really wants me to improve my navy, I take the other option for once. I wish these bonuses would scale with time -- +20 to Naval Tech Investment for four months really makes no difference this late in the game. A couple days later, I get a nine month bonus to trade tech -- this is a staggering +30 per month. :rolleyes: I've been a good boy, not engaging in any warmongering for a while, but enough is enough. It is time to take some Korean territory, pre-avenging the loss of Korean territory in the Russo-Japanese War! Bihar honors, but their territory is too expensive at this point.

chapter15may1673.jpg

June 1673: As three Russian armies invade Korea, we find out Yakutsk cores.

August 1673: Two of my Japanese provinces become self-sustaining and a third province, Kyzyl Kum, converts to Orthodoxy.

September 1673: Uighurstan defects to Russia, and Chagatai disappears. It's no Oirat Horde, but I've eaten Chagatai two or three times already. The Mamluks send an insult, perhaps knowing I will not attack them yet due to infamy. Your time shall come, Mamluks. Then we'll see who insults whom!

October 1673: Fighting non-Western Europeans is so refreshing -- I can be outnumbered 2:1 and still win devastating victories.

chapter15october1673.jpg

I immediately send a diplomat with all the gory details, and the peace offer, which Korea must accept.

chapter15october16732.jpg

November 1673: Yet another agricultural revolution, this time in Kulunda. Is it really a revolution if we keep having them every couple of years?

January 1674: Udskoye cores.

February 1674: Aleut becomes self-sustaining.

April 1674: More lucrative trade, more insignificant improvements to Trade Tech. Move along, nothing to see here.

August 1675: Yazgod converts. That's not a typo -- an entire year passed without anything interesting happening. I hate burning off infamy.

October 1675: Murgan cores. Brandenburg and Bohemia are at it -- this time, Brandenburg gives up one province (Meissen), cash, cores, and releases Magdeburg. Sigh. I wish I could be Imperial, too.

November 1675: Boundary dispute with Prussia, my vassal, for a core on Samogitia. All of a sudden, diplo-annexing them seems to be a lot more attractive. Great Britain takes some provinces from Ming, including Siak and Mozambique. Wait, Ming in Mozambique? I've never seen that before.

November 1676: We discover another Alaskan province. Once again, a year passes with nothing interesting. I swear, the next updates will be so action-packed your head will spin.

December 1676: Now a clash between Bohemia and Austria starts.

February 1677: Land 33 and shiny new Coehorn Mortars.

April 1677: Tula gets hit by the Agricultural Revolution again.

May 1677: Ust Yurt and Udinsky core.

June 1677: Dornod converts.

July 1677: Government 33 and a new NI. I can't pick Cabinet fast enough :D

January 1678: Bithnyia converts and Jasagdu cores and converts! First time that's ever happened in one month. I also sign an alliance with Moldavia. Why? Because I can. More seriously, they're excellent buffer state material if Austria gets uppity. I promise, some action is coming soon!

March 1678: I'm finally done with this stupid mission. The reward is pretty sweet -- a 4* Diplomat. God wants a University in Archangelsk, so we begin construction immediately.

August 1678: Tshiyet Noyan converts -- I'm waiting for a quality CB now.

October 1678: Sayin Noyan converts too, making it even less imperative I remember which is which.

December 1678: Finally, a bumbling Korean spy gift wraps exactly what I wanted -- an opportunity to go after Bihar. It is WAR!!

chapter15december1678.jpg

Ming and Bihar both honor. Let's rock and roll!

February 1679: While I get my troops in position, two provinces core, specifically Dzungaria and Okhotsk.

March 1679: Unusually for Asia, I outnumber the opposing army in this battle. Result: thousands of Korean casualties, zero Russian casualties. Altai converts at the news of our glorious victory.

chapter15march1679.jpg

April 1679: Ming's turn to get stomped. I think a few Russian soldiers tripped and their guns went off, or they died of exhaustion from repeatedly firing smoothbore muskets.

chapter15april1679.jpg

May 1679: Korea gets another dose of Russian technical superiority. 17 Russian soldiers load their muskets the wrong way as a practical joke. They will be missed. Transylvania, perhaps noting the ineptness of Russian troops, warns us. There is peace, and the Indian Road is completed. The entire Russian Republic (except Alexandria, Rio de Oro and islands/Pacific provinces) is now contiguous! As you'll see in the next State of the Republic, Kutch's productivity explodes .

chapter15may1679.jpg

The peace:

chapter15may16792.jpg

July 1679: It's time to produce Naval Supplies in Kenai.

September 1679: If you can't figure out which European power I DOW [hint: this province isn't Mamluk for long], I don't know what to tell you :D

chapter15september1679.jpg

The second province is a bit less obvious, so there is the potential for a special bonus province naming! That's right, you could name up to three provinces anything you like (as long as it's tasteful, of course)!

Thus ends the update. Sorry this one was a little dry, but it's all in preparation for an incredibly chaotic two decades to finish the 17th century, and just wait until we get into the 18th century! It'll be a hoot, I promise. There should be another update (or two) headed your way this weekend.

Love it!

Though fighting non Europeans is rather unfair actually. :p

The Great Game of Anatolia is about to erupt into outright scuffles over who gets the little dog piece! :eek: Good luck against Perfidious Albion - how's their navy?

Also, congratulations on finally establishing a link with your ports in India. No more will the Motherland be forced to rely on infidels or the high seas to trade with Her jolly little seaside resorts. I expect the explosion in Kutch's income is due to all the Petersburgers heading south for the winter, buckets and spades in tow.

Feedback​

Ashantai: You'll get your wish soon enough :)

loki100: I thought for sure he'd die of a heart attack right after the election -- every election he survived was a gift.

Iwanow: Absolutely right. The manpower I get from the eastern provinces is critical to fending off larger European armies.

Nekromans: First of all, congratulations! You're the only one to actually name the power I'll fight next, so you get to name any non-Eurasian province I own (for reference, SE Australia, Alaska, a few Pacific islands). PM me with your preference and the new name.

To your actual comments -- here's the beauty of a huge, contiguous empire -- I couldn't give a fig about GB's navy. They are largest in the world at this point, but they don't build many transports, and we don't border each other anywhere other than Anatolia, so each army they send just gets cut down :D I have surprisingly little coast line, and a host of willing allies.

You're probably right about Kutch, I've been to St. Petersburg, and while it's a lovely city, it's never exactly warm. I was there in the summer of '04 and it never got above 60 F.

To clear things up, Mus is eaten by GB, giving me the Reconquest CB. There's still one more province naming up for grabs -- What's the other province I take?

I ended up taking Smithian Economics at Gov't 50 -- I didn't have the tech to take Esprit de Corps or Improved Foraging yet. Next will be Esprit de Corps, and, if the game lasts that long, improved foraging.

Request for feedback​

This may be a bit premature, but I'm nearly done with the playing of this game (in the 1760s), and I'm thinking about a new AAR after this one is done. One of my goals, as soon as I heard about this game, was to try to reform the Roman Empire, and I don't mean Byzantium :) (For the history buffs, I'm talking the Roman Empire at it's greatest extent under Trajan). This would include Italy, the Balkans, France, Spain, North Africa, and England (but not Great Britain -- not a huge amount of Roman penetration into Scotland or Ireland). My question to you, loyal readers, is this: Which Italian power would be the best to use in this situation? I'm not looking for a huge challenge -- I think this is challenging enough a goal as it is. My guess would be Milan, but there's also the HRE factor. What do you think?

Chapter 16: Cleaning up Anatolia and the Far East

February 1680: We get a border friction CB on Maharasthra -- to be honest, I'm not super interested in expanding farther in India right now. I'd like to focus on the Far East.

March 1680: With tribal conquest, I can take out Saruhan, cementing my hold on Anatolia and giving me the last province for the Bosphorus Sound Toll. To war!

chapter16march1680.jpg

It's Saruhan, Tripoli, and the Mamluks (alliance leader).

April 1680: Alaska sure is popular, with people leaving Beloozero for Kenai.

May 1680: North Ufa wins the free constable sweepstakes. It's like Publisher's Clearinghouse, but without the big novelty check. Also, Saruhan is defeated, meaning he won't be able to make those huge armies for Sauron. Wait, I was thinking of something else. :D

chapter16may1680.jpg

August 1680: Another firing of the Colonial Ventures event, again I go with naval improvement.

October 1680: I'm not proud of this battle -- despite a huge lead in tech, a force with no leader took as many casualties as the Mamluk army did. The Mamluks may be behind me in tech, but they're a far cry from the Far Eastern powers.

chapter16october1680.jpg

However, it does convince the Mamluks to sue for white peace, which I accept. Since I didn't use the reconquest CB, I can't take Mus for free infamy, so I'll have to wait. Probably a mistake, but it does make things more interesting down the road :D

November 1680: Candar must fall for conspiring to keep land from the Russian Republic! It is our birthright (or something).

chapter16november1680.jpg

I find out something interesting. The Mamluks honor, yet don't take the stab hit for breaking the truce. Does anybody know if this is WAD? :confused:

December 1680: A missionary in Zheteru gets sick -- he's been there a really long time, so I don't blame him. I send another missionary with 20 ducats to help him out.

February 1681: Candar is "liberated" from the burdens of independence. The Russian Republic is no mere bloodthirsty collection of warmongers -- its leaders must answer to the people of Russia! Fortunately, the people of Russia are also a bloodthirsty collection of warmongers. :)

chapter16february1681.jpg

March 1681: Two nine pip generals duke it out this time, and the events are much more pleasing to the people of Russia.

chapter16march1681.jpg

April 1681: Kamnuskoye cores.

May 1681: Swahili, alliance leader, offers white peace. I go to war with Swahili like a dozen times over the next hundred years, but our troops never meet and I don't touch their provinces. Eventually, you'd think they'd start dishonoring.

chapter16may1681.jpg

July 1681: Production 31 and the Grain Depot, one of the best buildings for a military power. It's like the old provincial decision, but without the increased RR. +25% to national manpower (possibly an increase to reinforce speed?) is something that's ridiculously cheap at 980 ducats. I build it in Thrace.

August 1681: Tauisk cores.

June 1682: Sind, on the other hand, de-cores. In my defense, a) Burgundy is a reasonable force to reckon with at this point and b) I forgot I had the core. Meanwhile, some nationalists in Yakesa are frustrated about the lack of autonomy. They soon have all the autonomy they can handle, with their spirits freed from their bodies.

August 1682: Brandenburg releases Hannover -- I'm surprised with how regularly Brandenburg gets beaten up, even as HRE. You'd think they'd either stop getting elections or they'd start winning. Bohemia is the one that delivers the blow here. A Bohemian HRE is about my worst fear right now, apart from some coalition of Western Europeans against me.

January 1683: Ferghana converts.

April 1683: The University of Archangelsk is completed -- God now asks us for a new fort in Bithynia, which I begin constructing. Burgundy asks me for Military Access -- I'm a spiteful jerk, so I say no :)

June 1683: My 4* diplomat dies, and all I can drum up is a 2* diplomat. It's better than nothing, I guess.

November 1683: Colonial Ventures fires again, more work on the navy. I briefly think about taking my core on Livland, but Riga is Burgundy's vassal, and the HRE would also be brought in, so I decide to bide my time.

January 1684: Deren cores.

April 1684: Border friction on Persia. That's enticing, but I have bigger fish to fry right now -- the infamy fish.

June 1684: I finally re-establish the Swiss alliance. Dadra also cores. Switzerland immediately asks me to help against Parma. This will repeat every five years for a long time -- I never attack Parma and Parma never attacks me, because most of Parma's provinces are in Africa and North America, where my presence is minimal. Switzerland usually takes Parma right away in these wars, so there's not much to do.

July 1684: Border friction with Tibet leads immediately to war -- I want a bigger presence in East Asia, and only by expanding my borders there can I trigger more border friction CBs, maybe even a boundary dispute or two.

chapter16july1684.jpg

Dai Viet and Wu both honor -- neither are in much of a position to do anything, though.

December 1684: Bavaria is beaten by Austria -- they lose a little more than prestige, but not much more. The only real blob left in Central Europe is Bohemia -- Austria's not a real threat, Brandenburg is HRE but hasn't added a huge amount of territory.

January 1685: Wu, alliance leader, offers white peace before any real action. Now Wu, if you didn't want war with Russia, you shouldn't have honored your alliance. Simple logic, really. Declined.

September 1685: Hovd and Saghalin Oula core. This is a good time to mention a strategy I started with Vicky 2 -- I name my armies after the regions they belong in. It doesn't quite have the historical flavor of PI's choices, but it does help me keep track of where armies are and where they belong. It also helps remind me where I need more troops when I get a boost to land forcelimits.

The war with Tibet is taking a very long time. Seems there are these big rocks in the way called the Himalayas. They're quite tricky to get over (or around) :)

October 1685: Colonial Ventures = naval investment. You know the drill by now.

November 1685: The fortress in Bithnyia is finished. Our new mission is the naval race with Great Britain again. Pass! Instead, we're to colonize Menade. That's better!

March 1686: Morocco warns us. I don't even border Morocco.

May 1686: I ask Ming for military access -- it turns out Wu is Tibet's overlord, so I need to smack Wu around for peace.

June 1686: Korea DOWs Wu. They're even farther from Wu than I am, so I don't know what they expect to accomplish.

November 1686: Finally, Wu coughs up the Tibetan provinces.

chapter16november1686.jpg

December 1686: Bursa converts.

January 1687: Border dispute with Korea you say? I have my eye on a COT that Korea holds, so I'll burn off a little infamy first.

February 1687: Azerbaijan cores (yay!) and so does Urumqui (yay?). Prussia becomes part of Russia, which ends a lot of confusion for some.

chapter16february1687.jpg

I get military access through Bavaria -- for a brief bit, I thought about war with Burgundy at this point, but decided against it. I also colonize Menade, which leads to another colony, according to God: Bone.

July 1687: Suntar Khayat cores. Speaking of cores, it's time to take mine from Core-e-a (you may groan, if you like. I did typing it :D).

chapter16july1687.jpg

Bihar dishonors, Ming doesn't follow up their guarantee, so it's just Russia vs. Korea. Poor Korea.

August 1687: Some people abandon Dzungaria, in the Himalayas, for Menade, in the South Pacific. Now that move makes sense.

October 1687: I guess Korea was still at war with Wu, because they white peaced with them and Tibet.

November 1687: Khorasan warns us.

January 1688: Hungary too.

April 1688: Peace with Korea -- I take my core and the COT in Chengde.

chapter16april1688.jpg

May 1688: Woukon pirates fires -- the result is that Korea hates me even more now. I'll live with that. Korea may not. Perhaps God wishes to retire to the South Pacific, since after I colonize Bone, Flores is next. Turkestan converts.

August 1688: Nepal warns me.

September 1688: Azerbaijan converts.

October 1688: Sakhalin converts. I also move toward Mercantilism and get a nearly worthless collector.

January 1689: I can change my units at this point -- I forgot to take a screenie of which tech I got :rolleyes:

February 1689: Sayin Noyan cores. Sometime around this, GB DOWs the Mamluks. I don't remember why (trade dispute, maybe?) It didn't seem important until after the war started, and I decided to wait and see what GB took.

June 1689: Tshiyet Noyan cores.

July 1689: Apparently, God's had enough colonizing for a while, so now we're to build a University in Poltava.

November 1689: Those bastard limeys took my core! I'll not stand for this. WAAAAARRRR!

chapter16november1689.jpg

The tale of the tape:

chapter16november16892.jpg

I've got a whole bunch of vassals that honor too -- none of them are all that relevant. The vast majority of the forces are mine, with Switzerland a distant second, and everybody else way behind them.

December 1689: The Mamluks bolster a British ally, giving away three provinces to Algeria.

To see how the war turns out, you'll have to tune into to the next update :D I've got that and the next State of the Republic slated for this weekend.

Request for feedback

How do you feel about the level of detail I've been providing? Is it too much? I'm specifically thinking about cores/conversions and some of the repeated events (Colonial Ventures, for one). Regarding cores/conversions, I could do one of two things:

1) Sum them up at the end of the update

or

2) Just mention really interesting ones from now on (Pentarchy provinces converting, COTs coring, etc.).

Which do you think? Or do you like things as they currently are?