• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(111702)

First Lieutenant
13 Badges
Aug 21, 2008
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
I've been away from Vicky 2 for a while, and I'm hoping someone can refresh my memory about something.

What are the differences between colonies and states in this game, and what are the requirements for converting the former into the latter?

You need 1% native bureaucrats to turn a colony into a state. Colonies do not count towards your average literacy, and I think crimefighting is easier. They also get a large emigration bonus.

Ah, sorry, I mean "native culture bureaucrats", so primary culture bureaucrats. Sorry, my wording was very misleading.

do they impact votes? I've noticed my UH becoming decidedly more conservative with colonization.

Depending on your voting rights. Mostly, colonies will not be of primary culture.

Once you convert a colony to a state, there will be less immigration to it from your existing states. I believe it can also affect your literacy rate. Basically if you convert a couple states with a lot of illiterate pops, it will bring down your average literacy rate and slow research.