+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Colony vs State?

Arsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper Fi
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae Victis

Question Colony vs State?

I've been away from Vicky 2 for a while, and I'm hoping someone can refresh my memory about something.

What are the differences between colonies and states in this game, and what are the requirements for converting the former into the latter?

academic outlaw Moderator safferli's Avatar
    DiplomacyV2 BetaHoi 2 BetaEU3 Collectors EditionEUIV: Call to arms event

Blog Entries
    You need 1% native bureaucrats to turn a colony into a state. Colonies do not count towards your average literacy, and I think crimefighting is easier. They also get a large emigration bonus.
    When I speak in regal, manly grey I do so as a moderator.
    Never publicly comment or answer to a moderation post. Please write a PM (see Rule #2 of the Forum Rules).

--
    How to give a proper man-to-man hug

Ireland's Teardrop -- EU3 DW Munster/Ireland AAR. Follow the story of Munster, taking over the entire North American continent!
    Rule Helvetia! Helvetia Rule the Waves... -- Victoria 2 beta AAR. Watch Switzerland defeat the British Royal Navy... or die trying!
    What if the Pope had 200,000 men? -- A Papal States EU3 1.3 aar (abandoned/finished after owning 70% of the world)

Quote Originally Posted by safferli View Post
    You need 1% native bureaucrats to turn a colony into a state.
    Native bureaucrats? I thought it was accepted culture bureaucrats?

Quote Originally Posted by safferli View Post
    Colonies do not count towards your average literacy, and I think crimefighting is easier. They also get a large emigration bonus.
    Also, you can't build factories in colonies.

Blog Entries
    Ah, sorry, I mean "native culture bureaucrats", so primary culture bureaucrats. Sorry, my wording was very misleading.
    Never publicly comment or answer to a moderation post. Please write a PM (see Rule #2 of the Forum Rules).

--

Ireland's Teardrop -- EU3 DW Munster/Ireland AAR. Follow the story of Munster, taking over the entire North American continent!
    Rule Helvetia! Helvetia Rule the Waves... -- Victoria 2 beta AAR. Watch Switzerland defeat the British Royal Navy... or die trying!
    What if the Pope had 200,000 men? -- A Papal States EU3 1.3 aar (abandoned/finished after owning 70% of the world)

do they impact votes? I've noticed my UH becoming decidedly more conservative with colonization.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakius View Post
    do they impact votes? I've noticed my UH becoming decidedly more conservative with colonization.
    Depending on your voting rights. Mostly, colonies will not be of primary culture.

--

Quote Originally Posted by Jakius View Post
    AFAIK, colonies have no votes, whether there are otherwise vote-eligible pops living there, or not. Once they become states, anyone who can vote (according to your party policy and political reforms), has a vote.

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided

In 1.3 b there is no assimilation in colonies. Another reason to convert to states.

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper FiVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness500k clubEuropa Universalis IVEUIV: Wealth of Nations
    EUIV: Conquest of Paradise

Once you convert a colony to a state, there will be less immigration to it from your existing states. I believe it can also affect your literacy rate. Basically if you convert a couple states with a lot of illiterate pops, it will bring down your average literacy rate and slow research.
    10 centuries in 5 minutes: www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rvlp7cBWwIw

200 Countries, 200 Years, 4 Minutes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbkSRLYSojo

+ Reply to Thread