• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Ok, how many meters in 1 square?

The with of a regular street+sidewalk is 4 squares. According to the Ministry of transportation guide to urban street planning, the with of a local street should be 14-18 meters. If we take the average of 16, and divide it by 4, we will get that 1 square = 4 meters. Q.E.D.

Water can be added by first molding a lower area with the terrain tools, then selecting "Toggle water" and clicking on the lower terrain. That should fill your basin with water. Clicking again with the tool removes the water.
FOr some reason I can not get water to work. I do exactly as the instructions tell me to do..I lower the land, select the water decoration, but then no matter where I point to the mouse cursor shows an orange square and no matter what it does not paint water. What am I missing?

FOr some reason I can not get water to work. I do exactly as the instructions tell me to do..I lower the land, select the water decoration, but then no matter where I point to the mouse cursor shows an orange square and no matter what it does not paint water. What am I missing?

Try making it deeper.

The with of a regular street+sidewalk is 4 squares. According to the Ministry of transportation guide to urban street planning, the with of a local street should be 14-18 meters. If we take the average of 16, and divide it by 4, we will get that 1 square = 4 meters. Q.E.D.

We actually decided one square to be 3 meters and all the metric information in the game is based on that.

Is there anyway of increasing map size after you have started to build a city. I find that I am running out of room and after the amount of work I have done so far I would be most unhappy to have to start again

Just a tip from me, if you suffer from counting grid tiles for measurement reasons:

Just construct a road from the points you want to measure and watch the price. Since one tile is per 20$, you can divide by 20 and get the number of tiles. Like this, you can construct a grid and label the roads for your orientation.

(Of course you can remove the road after measuring...)

Especially for long distances on big maps an useful trick...

Good advice!
Let me just correct you, one square of road is 3 tiles. So you need to divide the total price by 60. (every tile is 3 meters)

I'm a tad confused about the grid. What distance is the smallest square on the grid. (Each big square is 4x4 small squares)

Ah!! the veil has been lifted. Thank you. I am attempting to build my home town in New Zealand (Tauranga). It is quite difficult to get it quite the way I would like but I do realise that CIM is not a city building game. I find the use of google earth invaluable even considering how out of date the imagery is. What would make life a lot easier would be smaller commercial buildings and a bigger variety. When I have got the town to a more useable standard I will upload it