+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Questions about the Map editor

Hi,

Is there a way to place advertisement on TOP of buildings instead of in front of them? In the game I see advertisment signs on top of buildings but somehow in the map editor in cannot increase the hight.

Thanks,

Private
    Cities in Motion

By pressing PgUp / PgDn keys you can change elevation of objects in the map editor.

Hello, I have a question - how to measure distance in the editor?

General Demi Moderator giladteller's Avatar
    Cities in MotionCities in Motion 2EU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    MagickaKnights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition500k club

Quote Originally Posted by XAN_ View Post
    Hello, I have a question - how to measure distance in the editor?
    Right now only by counting squares.
    When I am using this color, I am speaking as a Demi-Moderator. Please PM me, or any other moderator if you have any issues with how we run the forums.

Signature?
    I don't sign on anything without my lawyer!

My Blog | Cities in Motion WIKI | Cities in Motion 2 WIKI
    CiM Wiki on social networks:
    Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | YouTube

Ok, how many meters in 1 square?

Quote Originally Posted by XAN_ View Post
    Ok, how many meters in 1 square?
    The with of a regular street+sidewalk is 4 squares. According to the Ministry of transportation guide to urban street planning, the with of a local street should be 14-18 meters. If we take the average of 16, and divide it by 4, we will get that 1 square = 4 meters. Q.E.D.
    When I am using this color, I am speaking as a Demi-Moderator. Please PM me, or any other moderator if you have any issues with how we run the forums.

Signature?

Quote Originally Posted by giladteller View Post
    The with of a regular street+sidewalk is 4 squares. According to the Ministry of transportation guide to urban street planning, the with of a local street should be 14-18 meters. If we take the average of 16, and divide it by 4, we will get that 1 square = 4 meters. Q.E.D.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Co_Karoliina View Post
    Water can be added by first molding a lower area with the terrain tools, then selecting "Toggle water" and clicking on the lower terrain. That should fill your basin with water. Clicking again with the tool removes the water.
    FOr some reason I can not get water to work. I do exactly as the instructions tell me to do..I lower the land, select the water decoration, but then no matter where I point to the mouse cursor shows an orange square and no matter what it does not paint water. What am I missing?
    You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not fool all of the people all of the time.

A. Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Ranger View Post
    FOr some reason I can not get water to work. I do exactly as the instructions tell me to do..I lower the land, select the water decoration, but then no matter where I point to the mouse cursor shows an orange square and no matter what it does not paint water. What am I missing?
    Try making it deeper.

Signature?

Try making it deeper.
    I tried that, also shallower, wider, narrower. Nothing works. There has to be a glitch somewhere.
    You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not fool all of the people all of the time.

A. Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Ranger View Post
    I tried that, also shallower, wider, narrower. Nothing works. There has to be a glitch somewhere.
    Ok, I got this to work. I just didn't go deep enough. Not intuitive, but it does work.

A. Lincoln

Cities in Motion

We actually decided one square to be 3 meters and all the metric information in the game is based on that.

General Demi Moderator douglasrac's Avatar
    Cities in MotionCities in Motion 2EU3 CompleteMagicka500k club

Quote Originally Posted by stevebone View Post
    you can do that... by starting a map... making the lines and make a save. it will then have the pre-set routes and stuff and play it from there as a scenario

about the demonstrations: it is possible to make use of them as i did in my map

http://img703.imageshack.us/i/stadion1v.jpg/
    How did you make them to work in your map stevebone??

Cities in Motion

Is there anyway of increasing map size after you have started to build a city. I find that I am running out of room and after the amount of work I have done so far I would be most unhappy to have to start again

Just a tip from me, if you suffer from counting grid tiles for measurement reasons:

Just construct a road from the points you want to measure and watch the price. Since one tile is per 20$, you can divide by 20 and get the number of tiles. Like this, you can construct a grid and label the roads for your orientation.

(Of course you can remove the road after measuring...)

Especially for long distances on big maps an useful trick...

Good advice!
    Let me just correct you, one square of road is 3 tiles. So you need to divide the total price by 60. (every tile is 3 meters)

Signature?

Cities in Motion

I'm a tad confused about the grid. What distance is the smallest square on the grid. (Each big square is 4x4 small squares)

1 tile = 3 meters.
    1 road square = 4 tiles.
    Attachment 37265

Signature?

Cities in Motion

Ah!! the veil has been lifted. Thank you. I am attempting to build my home town in New Zealand (Tauranga). It is quite difficult to get it quite the way I would like but I do realise that CIM is not a city building game. I find the use of google earth invaluable even considering how out of date the imagery is. What would make life a lot easier would be smaller commercial buildings and a bigger variety. When I have got the town to a more useable standard I will upload it

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast