• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Thragka

Second Lieutenant
72 Badges
Aug 11, 2010
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Semper Fi
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
It’s Always Sunni in Delhi

Introduction

Hello all and welcome to It’s Always Sunni in Delhi! This is my first AAR and indeed only my fourth ever game playing Europa Universalis, as well as my first game where I do not play a European nation, so it’s going to be something of a learning experience on all fronts! As a warning, style is going to be one of those – this is probably going to spend most of the time teetering between a simple record of gameplay and short sections of narrative, and very indecisively will it be teetering until I figure out a style that works for me.

I will, as the title rather forcefully suggests, be playing as Delhi, because it looks interesting at first glance – backed up against the Timurids and the Himalayas on the edge of India, Sunni but with a Hindu population and moderate in size to begin with compared to its neighbours (‘cept, of course, the Timmies). I don’t have any long-term goals as of yet, but the dream would be to eradicate Hinduism from the face of the earth and defend India from the heathen Europeans when they start turning up. I have no idea how feasible either of these goals are, but I’m sure that will contribute to the fun!

Comments and criticism are especially welcome, be it in the form of advice for the AAR or the game itself. And now, without further ado, let’s get down to business.

--

Prologue: The Sultan’s Dream.

Sultan Nusrat Shah Thuqluqid had ruled Delhi for five years by now, and as he lay in bed that morning, he mused that they had been wonderfully mediocre. The economy – okay.

EU3_6-1.jpg

The people – none too rebellious, even if they were all heretics.

EU3_3-1.jpg

The neighbours – cordial and courteous, to be sure, but there was no real spark. Even his court were a little passive. When he had come to the throne, he’d assumed that he was entering a whirlwind of intrigue and plots, where ministers would be backstabbing each other at the drop of a turban and it would take all his wit to ensure he didn’t end up a powerless figurehead being manipulated and outmanoeuvred by his supposed subordinates. Finding out that this was not the case had at first been disappointing, but as time passed he had actually come to like the sedentary aspects of his position. Nusrat Shah the Silent, they called him (or so his advisors told him), because only issued royal proclamations after a great deal of deliberation.

But this morning, he realised, he was bored. And he had been for some time. The lack of excitement had finally reached a critical point where it had gone on for too long, and he was going to do something about it. As soon as he had breakfast. On second thoughts, the rest of the court wouldn’t convene until after lunch, so he could probably wait until then.

Several hours later, Khidr Khan Hussein, the head of the Treasury, was surprised to find the Sultan already sitting on the throne when he slipped into the throne room shortly after noon. He made his obeisance, and – when Nusrat Shah had given permission – approached the throne.

“Your majesty, is there a reason that the court is graced with your presence this early?”
“As ever, my good chancellor, you are as perceptive as a hawk. Summon General Singh, and have him bring his maps.”

Nusrat Singh was not actually a soldier, but a learned military architect in charge of keeping Delhi’s fortifications strong and borders secure. The Sultan, however, judged him to have the best military mind in the nation, and so had made him the chief representative of the Army of Delhi in his court. When Hussein and Singh returned carrying rolled up maps, the Sultan stepped down to the great table as they spread them out.

EU3_1.jpg

EU3_2.jpg

This was the known world at the time, and Delhi was at its edge. To the north were the Abode of Snow, the Himalayas, and at the time it was fashionable to call them the World’s End Mountains. To the west, the Horde of the Great Khan Timur, whose lands stretched beyond the Sultan’s knowledge in the direction of the Holy Mecca. But everywhere else, as far as the Sultan could see on the maps, were petty kingdoms, few of them followers of the True Faith and equally few, at least in this cartographer’s rendering, of a comparable size with Delhi. The Sultan scratched his beard, and then turned to the rest of the room – it had started to fill up as the rest of his court arrived.

“See the lands that surround us!” called the Sultan, and the energy in his voice and his eyes surprised many in the court. “None of them are our equal. The only nation that can claim to be such is that of Khan Timur, and I say to you now that is because God has seen his faith and has justly rewarded him! My loyal servants, I know you have all made your submission to the true faith, but our people have not – nowhere across all these lands have they seen the light of Allah!”

EU3_3.jpg

“Actually, in Sind –” began one minor noble, but a swift elbow to the stomach from the man beside him shut him up.

“I say to you now, last night I had a dream! An angel visited me and told me that happiness and glory await us, in this life and the next, for all sons of Delhi that serve Delhi and Allah in spreading the word of the Prophet peacebuponhim to all corners of the world! To that effect, I am introducing a jizya, and will be forging alliances with the other great Muslim kingdoms of Deccan and Gujarat, in preparation to invade the Hindu scum of Rajputana! Today the world changes! It is up to you to play you part!” He clapped his hands, and at that symbol the court sprang to activity, all the princes and nobles and ministers scurrying away – nominally to help roll out the new tax across their realms and prepare their levies for the Sultan’s army, but more to look busy and eager than anything else. After all, it was nearly time for dinner. This business could wait until tomorrow.

Only Hussein, Singh, and the trader Saikander Ra’ana, Nusrat Shah’s most trusted advisors, stayed in the throne room.

EU3_5-1.jpg

“That business about the dream –” said Singh softly.

“Utter nonsense,” the Sultan declared flatly. “I am doing this for Delhi and Delhi alone. The Timurids are a threat as much as they are a role model, as are the Hindu kingdoms if they choose to unite against the few Sultans in their midst. We must make the first move, or I fear our name will be that of a weak, indecisive nation in a footnote of history, that could not seize an opportunity when so presented. In fact, I have decided that that opportunity has turned up in the form of Rajputana – specifically, their province of Ajmer, which has a sizeable Hindusthani population. But the people will need some sort of hogwash sugar-coating in order to realise this.”

EU3_8-1.jpg

The next day, the Sultan’s Super Swift Carrier Pigeon Communication Service tendered alliance offers to the Sultans of Deccan and Gujarat, both of whom were eventually swayed by Nusrat Shah’s arguments that a united Muslim front in India was necessary to ensure their safety. Deccan, however, did not want Delhi dictating the terms of their alliance, and it took several SSSCPCS exchanges for an agreement to be reached – Deccan was preparing to invade neighbouring Gondwana, and wanted Delhi’s assurance that they would support them in this war if Deccan would send troops to Rajputana.

EU3_8a.jpg

Four days later, everything was in place. The Army of Delhi, comprising four thousand infantry and a thousand cavalry, was assembled outside the walls of Delhi, and Sultan Nusrat Shah rode out of the gates of his palace, through the city streets and out to his loyal forces to the cheers of the crowd. He carried with him a cage containing three SSSCPCS pigeons – one to carry the declaration of war to Jaipur, and one to each of Delhi’s allies announcing that war was underway.

EU3_9a.jpg
EU3_9c.jpg

EU3_9b.jpg

With a flourish, the Sultan cut the cords tying the box closed and the birds took to the air. Pointing his sword to the sky after the bird with the red ribbon around his neck, the Sultan dug his heels into his horse and made it rear theatrically.

“We follow the bird. To Jaipur!” he roared. Five thousand voices shouted “To Jaipur!” back, and then the whole host was marching south, towards the plains beneath the Worlds End Mountains, their unsuspecting foe, and glory – or death.

Last edited:
Delhi has lots of potential for fun - will follow.

I had at first thought this was going to be at least partly based on It's Always Sunny in PhilaDHELphia (great pun there!), but I see you're missing a short, manic control freak and four useless sidekicks.

That said, I still got a few chuckles, especially with the SSSCPCS pigeons. Good start!

Thanks all! I'm afraid that there isn't anything more to the title than the pun, as I've never actually seen the show in question. But maybe I should do some research and try for a more faithful homage ...

--

Chapter 1: The Rising Star

Sultan Nusrat Shah left Delhi in the capable hands of his top advisors upon setting out with the army for Jaipur. The three ministers soon found that the court of Delhi was busier than it had been the past five years. Nusrat Shah’s initiative in forging bonds between three relatively strong Muslim states and the surprising ruthlessness with which his invasion of Rajputana took off immediately afterwards resonated around India, sparking lively debate in Muslim and Hindu court alike. The Sultan of Delhi was seen as somebody to pay attention to, and as a result more diplomats turned up in the royal palace during the following weeks than had visited in the previous year. Hussein, Singh and Ra’ana at first handled the Sultan’s diplomacy with ease, but soon began to find themselves out of their depth; the messages from neighbouring states stopped being empty congratulations and became more serious affairs of the state. The first such was an emissary from Bengal, asking if it were possible to find a bride in the court for the Sultan of Bengal’s nephew.

EU3_10.jpg

The more powerful nobles in the court put pressure on the three ministers to open up the ruling of the country to the nobility in Nusrat Shah’s absence, and it did not take long for the cabinet to cave – the Sultan, after all, usually delegated marriage requests to the nobles, and so it made sense to do so now. The ambassador from Bengal was only the first, and soon Delhi had marital links with the courts of Kashmir, Sind and even Kazakh as well. When word of this was sent to the Sultan on the campaign trail, he wrote back to say that any improvement in relations between Muslim states was a good idea, and as many royal marriages as possible should be arranged forthwith.

The Army of Delhi routed the two-thousand-strong Army of Rajputana outside Jaipur, but instead of laying siege to the enemy capital, Nusrat Shah pressed his forces further south to Ajmer – he did not want to be seen as a needless warmonger. The conquest of Ajmer had been the Casus Belli for war, or at least so Delhi had announced, and to keep an honourable face, capturing that province would be his first priority. To the south, Deccan was primarily concerned with its invasion of Gondwana. Deccan troops surged into the western province of Bastar, seeking a quick occupation, while the forces of Gondwana spilled into Nagpur, in an attempt to prevent the entire Deccan army from crossing their border.

EU3_11.jpg

Gujarat bore the first counterattack by Rajputana, suffering an early invasion of Ahmadabad. In response, they sent an army to besiege Udaipur while they levied troops in the east of the country to relieve the capital. Meanwhile, the tiny Sultanate of Kandesh looked on warily, safe for the moment between the three Muslim allies, but worried all the same that the fighting would spill over its borders.

EU3_12.jpg

The first Muslim victory at Jaipur had made it clear that the standing forces of Rajputana could not hope to beat the Army of Delhi – they were simply hopelessly outnumbered, so relief to Ajmer would not be coming any time soon. Instead, the Rajputani military spread their forces, trickling across the long, winding border with Delhi in an attempt to disrupt as much area as possible. Panipat, Mandla, Sutlej and Agra were all invaded by single Hindu regiments. When word came to Delhi that Rajputani forces were sighted along the border, General Singh raised three regiments in the surrounding provinces. Unfortunately, the forces of Sutlej were mobilised too late, and after failing to drive off the invaders, the Muslim forces fled to regroup north at Chandigarh.

EU3_13.jpg

When Hindu forces were spied from Delhi, General Singh took the desperate measure of leading the Royal Guard away from the city, leaving only a garrison behind and making north to meet the two thousand infantry that would be convening on Chandigarh. He gambled that he would have time to marshal a stronger force there than the besieging army, and relieve Delhi long before the city walls fell. When word of this reached Nusrat Shah, the Sultan throttled the SSSCPCS pigeon in rage, and decided to break off the siege of Ajmer in order to, as his aide recorded, “let some steam out properly”. In the second battle of Jaipur, the Army of Delhi completely eradicated a Hindu force of 800 losing only twenty men, with Nusrat Shah ordering that every last member of the enemy forces be hunted down and killed, before turning around and heading back to Ajmer. A Gujarati commander nearby agreed to use his forces in the area to prevent any more Hindu troops reaching Delhi before the city was relieved by Singh.

EU3_14.jpg

Two months later, Gujarat bowed out of the war, annexing Udaipur and receiving a small fee in reparations. Coupled with the fact that Deccan forces were now holding off armies from Rajputana and Gondwana within Delhi’s borders, the role of Deccan was soon important enough for many to conflate the two concurrent wars prosecuted by the Muslim allies as a single belligerence, the First Muslim Jihad in India. It was not a moniker that particularly appealed to Nusrat Shah, as he feared it would prompt other Hindu states to intervene, but it did have the positive effect of making the united Muslim front appear stronger than ever.

EU3_15.jpg

In the aftermath of the failed siege of Delhi, the cabinet began cracking down on any of the Hindu populace that were suspected of sympathy to the enemy – not directly, but by increasing the jizya and imposing restrictions on freedom of trade for Hindus. This backfired almost instantly, as the merchant classes became uncooperative with the government and Delhi’s trade suffered as a result.

EU3_17.jpg

However, in the west of the country, the general air of the Panjabi population was that the war was a good thing. Being closest to the Timurid Horde and subjected to annoying if infrequent raids, the Sultan’s desire to make Delhi a nation capable of standing up for itself rang true for the western provinces. Panjabi men began signing up to the army of their own accord, and in general the government experienced an unprecedented level of cooperation.

EU3_18.jpg

Almost a year after the war began, Rajputana sent its first offer of peace. The demands were the dissolution of the Muslim alliance and a pittance in reparations, more as a slap to the hand than an actual economic sanction. Nusrat Shah laughed off the emissary, informing him that he was in no position to argue; once Agra was relieved, there would be no Hindu forces in Delhi’s territory.

EU3_19.jpg
EU3_20.jpg

Angered, King Ranmal Rathore of Rajputana sent his forces north once more into Panipat, stated that Delhi could never mop up all of Rajputana’s fast-moving forces, and called for a white peace. This too Nusrat Shah rejected.

EU3_21.jpg

Eighteen months into the war, Ajmer finally fell to Nusrat Shah’s forces. Immediately, the Sultan led his army north to Jaipur, hoping to crush the Hindu royal guard there and force King Ranmal to accede to his demands. But the Hindu king would not even speak to the Sultan, and in the ensuing battle, Sultan Nusrat Shah Thugluqid suffered a fatal blow. Though Delhi won the field, the Sultan died that evening, plunging the military and government into chaos and threatening to undo all the gains Delhi had made so far.

EU3_24.jpg
EU3_25.jpg

Last edited:
For some reason those really small battles of just one or two regiments are so much more exciting and cool than the huge ones.

I know exactly what you mean. I find myself thinking things like "I have twenty less men, oh god I hope I can make a comeback!" and watching the morale bar for each battle rather than just keeping an eye on the numbers on the outliner.

And the Sultan doesn't get to see his victory. Pity.

Chapter 2: The First Jihad

News of the death of Nusrat Shah arrived at the same time as word that Rajputani forces had convened once more on Sutlej and Agra; even worse, King Ranmal attempted to take advantage of the panic he knew would ensue by sending yet another regiment to besiege Delhi. The court was plunged into chaos as arguments erupted in the throne room over the future of both the throne and the war. The nobility were broadly divided into two camps: those who felt that Delhi should end the war and give themselves the space to work out the succession crisis, and their opponents who saw the death of Nusrat Shah as a reason to strike harder against Rajputana than ever before.

“We cannot possibly hold the country together through a war against a vastly more mobile foe without a Sultan!” argued a pro-peace noble. “Our armies have no leaders and are far from home. We must ask King Ranmal for peace and –”

Ask him for peace?” interrupted Ibrahim Shaja’atid, a prince from the south. He was the most vocal of the pro-war camp, and not without reason, for his lands had been invaded by both Rajputana and Gondwana over the past year, and seen much fighting. “Why ask, when we are winning? We hold Ajmer, and we will have the heretics meet us on our own terms!”

“Ranmal will never bargain with us – he has us by the throat, and our head is not in very good shape,” countered his opponent. “Nusrat Shah wanted the country to be strong, and if peace is the way –”

“Hold your tongue,” said General Singh, and there was a moment of shocked silence – until then, the cabinet ministers had just been observing the row. “It is easy to invoke the name of our late Sultan to substantiate any claim you want about ‘making the country strong’ – by peace, by war, by making a deal with a djinn. But you insult his name with your cowardice.”

“You insolent fool! The law puts this matter in the hands of the nobles, you glorified scribes!”

“Then I would like to see how you fare when Nusrat Shah’s last edict puts the army in our hands,” returned Singh.
“And the keys to the treasury, too,” said Hussein, leaning forward and placing his elbows on the desk. Saikander Ra’ana rolled his eyes at the ensuing uproar, slammed a palm on the table and stood.

“Do you want a civil war?” he yelled above the din. “Because if we do not solve this matter within, say, the next hour, the forces of Rajputana will be outside our gates, and when they kill us all your souls are free to squabble over which parts of the country you want to haunt!” The room went quiet as ministers and nobles brought their temper back into check and considered this. Ra’ana muttered something to the other two ministers and then wandered over to Shaja’atid and his supporters, while Singh spread out some maps and reports over the table.

“Our gracious friend is right,” he said, “in saying that we are winning. We have mopped up petty Hindu raiding forces before –”
“– when you fled the city,” muttered some. Singh gave no sign of having heard.
“– and our armies have their orders to head for Sutlej and Agra. And our economy has not suffered drastically; there has been no more looting and burning than we planned for before the war. If we act quickly and take the fight to the enemy, not only will we save Delhi, but we will honour Nusrat Shah’s memory by taking Ajmer as he planned. All we need is to agree on a ruler, at least for the duration of the war, to regroup our forces and strike back decisively.”

At this signal, a pro-war noble spoke up. “I nominate Ibrahim Shaja’atid to take the throne in this crisis.”

“I will accept, if you will have me,” said Ibrahim.

“Then let us vote quickly,” said Hussein in an almost bored tone. “All in favour?”

The entire pro-war side of the room raised their hands, and when some on the other side did too, it was decided. “I will, then, be acting Sultan for the duration of this war, and I promise you that I will lead us to victory. I will meet the Army of Delhi in Agra and lead them back to relieve the capital as fast as I can.” With that, the nobles dispersed, Ibrahim went to find a horse and guard to escort him south, and the three ministers began to tidy up the throne room.

EU3_25a.jpg

The Hindu forces were defeated in Agra swiftly and Ibrahim wasted no time in turning them north for Delhi. With the capital relieved, communication to and from the surrounding states resumed. One piece of news sparked interest in Delhi – to the south, Vijaynagar had invaded and annexed the tiny island nation of Maldive. It was seen as a move to counter Muslim expansionism, and the court wondered whether this was a manifestation of the effect Nusrat Shah’s initiative was still having far and wide.

EU3_26.jpg

A month and a half after Ibrahim’s ascension to the throne, Delhi received an offer of a white peace from Gondwana. Two thirds of the country was occupied, and Deccan troops were assaulting Indravati. Ibrahim thought it gracious for Delhi and Gondwana to reach an honourable peace before Deccan dictated the exact terms for the end of the war, so he accepted. This, however, did not go down well with the Deccan court, as they saw it as a failure to show ultimate support for the Muslim cause. Seemingly for this reason, Deccan for some time rejected all attempts to form royal marriages between herself and Delhi, but other than this there seemed to be little effect on the relation between the two countries.

EU3_27.jpg
EU3_29.jpg

In the mean time, Delhi continued to flourish in reputation, not least when she was the first Indian nation to receive envoys from two peoples from beyond the Abode of Snow. Representatives from the Chagatai Khanate and the Oriat Horde both visited the Sultan’s court, claiming that they had heard of the stirrings in the subcontinent from the few traders that picked their way between the snowy peaks. It interested the court, but Ibrahim was slightly uneasy – if the Himalayas were not really the World’s End Mountains, then the northern lands of the sultanate would no doubt one day have to be defended.

EU3_28.jpg
EU3_32.jpg

Some two years after the war had began, the last fortress in Gondwana fell to Deccan, and the Sultan of Deccan surprised Ibrahim by annexing Gondwana outright. It was a foolhardy move, and incurred much ill will in other Hindu courts. Ibrahim was unsure how to take it. He knew Nusrat Shah would have criticised it as too aggravating a move, and he also knew that by drawing their side of the war to a quick conclusion, Deccan were showing Delhi that their military were more accomplished. To show that Delhi could look after itself, Ibrahim split his forces across Rajputana, hoping to occupy it all without Deccan interference, and leaving only a small reserve to mop up the Hindu troops still within Delhi’s borders.

EU3_30.jpg
EU3_31.jpg

First Bikaner fell to Delhi. Then Jaipur was assaulted by sixteen thousand Muslim troops, only three thousand of which were from Delhi. Despite the disproportionate number of troops, Ibrahim himself was at the forefront of the assault, and so the Deccan army allowed Delhi to take control of the forces. Perhaps they suspected that with the capital taken, Ibrahim would be quick in settling a peace with the Hindus, and this would not have been an unreasonable suspicion. But Ibrahim truly believed the aggressive rhetoric that had won support for his succession, and wanted to show Deccan up for annexing Gondwana, so he marched west from the city to continue the sieges of the remaining Rajputani fortresses.

EU3_33.jpg

With Delhi clearly already victorious, morale in the sultanate skyrocketed. The nobles and the people began to accept Ibrahim’s rule. It must be said that Ibrahim worked well with his cabinet, and his collaboration with General Singh had ensured that not a single Muslim fortress had fallen to Hindus, while now the cities of Rajputana were toppling like dominoes. While happy to allocate credit where it was due, Ibrahim was slightly rankled that praise was falling on the people who had effectively offered him the throne, and this was the cause of tension between the Sultan and the cabinet later on.

EU3_38.jpg

The remaining enemy fortresses fell within six months of the occupation of Jaipur. Jaisalmer was the last to surrender, and it was from there that King Ranmal had been leading the remainder of his forces. The Hindu king and the two sultans met to discuss the terms upon which the war would end. Ibrahim surprised everyone by demanding Rajputana’s complete annexation, and the beleaguered King Ranmal had no choice but to agree. Ibrahim’s motivation had been twofold; in his mind, he wanted to satisfy Delhi’s retribution for Nusrat Shah’s revenge, but he also wanted to show Deccan that Delhi would not take second place to it. But the Deccan had one last surprise up her sleeve – after Ranmal had signed away his kingdom, her Sultan nonchalantly announced that with this war concluded, Deccan would be starting another Jihad against Orissa, and was sure Delhi would be faithful to their alliance.

EU3_36.jpg
EU3_37.jpg
EU3_39.jpg

Ibrahim was torn. He was no fool, and knew how much work it would be to manage the annexation of Rajputana – Delhi had just increased its size by half again, and however much of a warlike spirit he had, he knew the country needed careful management for the coming years. But he was also reticent to give up the throne, and there was certainly a cause to be made that he was to step down and allow a proper election of a new Sultan when peace arrived. With Delhi still at war, however ... perhaps the throne would be his for a little while longer.

EU3_40.jpg

“Of course we shall support you,” Ibrahim said with a smile to his ally, and the other Sultan grinned back, with more over-the-top confidence passing between them than honest friendship. Two Hindu nations had been wiped off the face of the Earth, and Delhi was going to war once more.

--

Swallowing 21 infamy was quite a lot, but the way I see it, it's early days yet and I may as well make use of the despotic monarchy bonus. I wasn't expecting to be going back to war, but no sense breaking a powerful alliance just yet. The coming years will no doubt reveal whether or not such early expansionism was a wise move.

Chapter 3: In Defence of the Realm

Following the annexation of Rajputana, Ibrahim led the Army of Delhi and the newly named Army of Jaipur east to defend against any attacks by Orissa’s allies of Bihar and Nepal. It was tempting to drive into Bihar and try to occupy it, but Ibrahim knew this would be unwise. Although the Sultanate had a claim to ownership of the Bihari lands since before the time of Nusrat Shah, Ibrahim knew that Deccan would be dictating the peace terms however the war ended, and there was no way her Sultan would cede any land to his ally-cum-rival.

Ibrahim took a slightly indirect route to the eastern front, cutting north to the capital in order to stop at court. Despite grumblings about the second war, the nobility agreed that there was no sense electing a new Sultan with war in the east and the task of pacifying the Rajputni lands. Ibrahim also issued his first royal decree, reforming the laws of land ownership in and around the capital and the rights of the peasants to work it. The costs in time and manpower to administrate the reform kept the court bureaucracy busy over the next months – no doubt one of the reasons Ibrahim instigated it – with the end result, mostly, of filling the Sultan’s coffers in both gold and manpower. Ibrahim also raised taxes across the nation for the duration of the war.

EU3_42.jpg

After this, the Army of Delhi moved south, but not long after reaching Ibrahim’s estate in Agra turned north again. An SSSCPCS pigeon from the Army of Jaipur informed the Sultan that Nepalese and Bihari troops had been spotted moving towards Lucknow in a concerted attack. Ibrahim set off at a slow pace – if both enemy armies could be drawn in against the weak-looking Army of Jaipur, he was certain that a hammer-and-sickle tactic with the Army of Delhi would crush them both.

EU3_45.jpg

The Bihari forces stopped encroaching on Delhian territory when their scouts noticed Ibrahim’s army approaching from the south. The Nepalese forces, however, pressed on, only to be caught between all eight thousand troops in the Sultan’s military. Rather than fight a hopeless battle, the Nepali commander ordered a retreat, but still lost a third of his forces in the uncoordinated manoeuvre that followed.

EU3_46.jpg

With the threat of invasion removed, at least for the moment, Ibrahim felt that it was time he began to address some of Delhi’s internal affairs. The Sultan truly believed in the vision his predecessor had offered, the vision of a Delhi made strong by her piety. He pressured the court into letting him adopt the title of Khalifa. It was not very popular with the Hindu population, but it did impress surrounding Muslim nations and began to draw learned scholars in Islam to the mountain court.

EU3_48.jpg

Abroad, the war seemed to be going well for the Muslim side, with Deccan’s ally Bengal capturing the Bihari capital. However, these early successes were undone as Bihar pushed back against Bengal and Orissa pushed west into the Gondwanese lands recently annexed by Deccan. When Orissan troops came too close to the border with Delhi, Ibrahim felt it was time to intervene, and led the army of Delhi into Delhi to push back the small Orissan force in Gondwana.

EU3_50.jpg

Ibrahim kept his men stationed along the eastern border in case of another incursion, and spent a lot of his time “leading” the army by living at his own estate in Agra with his wife. A year into the war, a son was born to the Sultan while and named Bahlûl Ludi. The babe was large, and strong, and the Sultan was known to remark that given time, he would become a better warrior than his father.

EU3_52.jpg

His life at home, however, came to an end when a threat arose not from the east, but in the form of a rebellion in Rajputni lands to the west. First came word of four, and then eight thousand nationalists in Thar, as many rebels as Delhi had men under arms. Ibrahim made for Jaipur quickly with the Army of Delhi, and then waited to rendezvous with the rest of his men from Lucknow before pressing on to deal with the uprising. While waiting, he received an urgent message from the Sultan of Deccan – the southern Empire of Vijaynagar had just declared war, and Delhi was called to arms once more. Vijaynagar were a much more formidable foe – rumour had it that they had an army of between twenty and thirty thousand men – but Ibrahim could not, in good faith, desert his ally now. With rebels to the west and Nepali forces invading from the east once more, Delhi had no forces to send south, but Ibrahim offered Deccan his nominal support until such time as he could promise more than that. He also sent word to the northern nobles to find three thousand more men for his armies, for he feared that he would need them sooner rather than later.

EU3_55.jpg

When Vijaynagar attacked, the original war with Orissa seemed to lose significance with Deccan. When her only active ally, Bengal, negotiated a white peace with the Hindu alliance, it took little over a month for the careworn Sultan to see that his Jihad could not be resolved successfully. Peace came just as the freshly levied northern troops made to relieve Lucknow, but upon arriving they could do nothing but escort their erstwhile foes to the border with as much forced friendship as they could muster.

EU3_57.jpg
EU3_60.jpg

Vijaynagar and her vassals Mysore and Travnacore flooded across Deccan’s south border just as Orissa ebbed away from the east. Within six months the first Deccan fortress had fallen and there were no Muslim troops close to threatening the new Hindu enemy. Ibrahim could offer no support, for it took all eleven thousand over a year to mop up all of the Rajputni rebels in the southwest. It was a long and stressful campaign for the Sultan, and it troubled him to spend almost as much time pacifying the region as it had taken to conquer it in the first place.

EU3_63.jpg

By the time Delhi was in a position to send aid to Deccan, it was too late. The war-weary Sultan settled with ceding Vijaynagar a southern province to give them a land connection to Goa rather than stay in the fight and risk losing more. Worse still for Delhi, on the same day came reports of another Rajputni uprising back where the first one had begun. A weary Ibrahim ordered the Army of Jaipur to deal with it, retiring to Agra for a short holiday before his planned return to the capital.

EU3_64.jpg

Delhi was at peace for the first time in six years. In that time, there had been several changes in India. The two Muslim allies were stronger than ever, but the imposing power of Vijaynagar would not permit them to bully the smaller Hindu kingdoms. The coming years were to be an era of relative peace, and for Delhi a prosperous era, despite the trouble that was encroaching from both home and abroad.

EU3_65.jpg

+60% Fort Defence is wow. You can let people siege all they want and go grabbing territory from them.

Timurids are looking really large and red.

Adopting the claim to the Caliphate should upset all the other Caliphate claimants, that's how these things go.

RGB: Yup, I've not lost a single province so far. Once Deccan stops dragging me into wars every time their truces expire, I might be able to dictate some more conquering of my own and use that tactic. The Timurids recently warned me, so I guess I'm doing something right.

Boris ze Spider: Just the one that the outliner shows in Chandigarh; the Sunni missionary rate is only 0.25 per year. But in my next update we get to see some of my religious policies pay off!

Nice work! And awesome pun in the title!