• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bad Traffic--GREAT GAME!

. So I started a sandbox in Amsterdan and saw the traffic jams were just as bad. But after building a subway from the airport to downtown the gridlock gradually reduced until things were moving again and buses and trams were possible. At the time I thought this was a problem with the early code since it made starting with buses and trams impossible...
Just started a custom game using tutorial sandbox and upped money to maximum, so started the metro with semicircular trams at each station and a few bus lines for good measure and them BAM--TRAFFIC JAM! Might be a bug in the program--seems a little too difficult to make money if everyone is always stuck in traffic. Please HELP!:eek:

Just adding my voice and echoing the sentiments of others here - fantastically polished and well done game guys, thank you.
I like the idea of the high traffic areas to be aware of and this changing in relation to other transport options, however it does tend to get out of hand very easily and once it's out of control it goes completely against the game mechanic and things become impossible.
This can be demonstrated on any map - build a small loop bus line of 3 or 4 stops on completely green roads (but not too far from the center), add a single bus, and watch those roads turn red even before the peeps at the stops get unhappy. This will then cascade into the waiting passengers getting miserable and then finally the city getting snarled.
The nett effect is adding a small bus route actually increases the number of cars on the road where there were none before anything was built - this doesn't seem right?

So hat no Problems with the Berlin Mission, had a good Tram System, a very good Metro system and no busses in the City Center! It works pretty good, but i also think that the Traffik and the Trams and everything is to careful when they try to move around obstacles. There a some Jams, only because one car is waiting to turn left, but can't because its waiting for the other lane to be completely empty, but that happens VERY rarely. And when that happens, ONE car moves and the rest of the city is waiting again.
So i had no problems with the Missions, but i think the city people create Jams themselve very quickly because of the very "shy" people. Stoplights would be a really sweet feature helping at junctions.

I'd like to echo the concerns of others about the traffic. I fired up a few games in Helsinki, and after a while learned where the traffic bunches up last. Unfortunately, it still did gridlock within six months, rendering it impossible for my buses and trams to move, even though I had managed to stick only to smaller lesser used roads. I never had this problem in the beta.

I was having problems with gridlocks in the second scenario in the campaign (Amsterdam). I edited the following values in my game.script file:

Code:
// time in seconds after the citizen can move again
$grid.citizens.minCycleDuration = 300;
$grid.citizens.maxCycleDuration = 600;

I set them to 450 and 900 respectively. No more gridlocks, the game is a joy to play now. There is even still a healthy amount of traffic to contend with.

I was having problems with gridlocks in the second scenario in the campaign (Amsterdam). I edited the following values in my game.script file:

Code:
// time in seconds after the citizen can move again
$grid.citizens.minCycleDuration = 300;
$grid.citizens.maxCycleDuration = 600;

I set them to 450 and 900 respectively. No more gridlocks, the game is a joy to play now. There is even still a healthy amount of traffic to contend with.

Sounds good - where is that script to be found?

I've restarted the Berlin Campaign maybe 3,4 times now. The latest attempt seems to be working alright. I'm actually getting positive cashflow for once. Let's see how this goes as the time progresses.

I think my latest attempt failed as well. was making some money at first, but any profit I have slowly erodes as time goes on. Pretty much when the church mission shows up I'm losing money and can't recover.

Noooo, leave it. I think you should make it optional for people, for those that enjoy dense traffic. :D

Unhostile, maybe you should read the rest of the thread. (Also have you tried the full game yet? (Don't see your icon))
We already established that the amount of traffic is not the real issue, but the gridlocking that seems to happen when you run buses through the city.
Try playing the campaign, you'll notice it will be hard to complete due to the gridlocks.

I don't think the resolution should be found by modifying the parameters, but by changing the way traffic is routed.

I played the first scenario - Berlin - yesterday! I got right into the heavy traffic and the lines of cars stretched very far. But somehow this is whats make the game fun I think. The challenge to try to build a system that could ease the traffic and not interfere too much, causing jams etc. The city feels alive! But I could agree that the gridlock timer for removing cars is a bit too long. But coolest way to fix the problem would be if cars used other lane when buss stops etc. to give a more realistic simulation and flow in traffic.

By the way, would be cool with a developers diary with information on how car simulation and people simulation works. For instance, what happens when angry customers leave a bus stop? Where do they go, why?

Hello all. just had to register here to add my consern.

I realy love this game, but after 4. failed attempt i kinda start to hate it:( Traffic is just to bad. Im looseing money all the time, trying to place routes at roads whit less traffic but as the game goes on i still get stuck, and i do have to cross those main roads sometimes anyway. Last game i even had to sell some of my buss due to those where stuck.

Some here might tell me to learn to play, but if this game is supose to be like this its just to hard for me and im forced to stop playing it.

First, use this tool to unpack your metro.gs file: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?520114-Extracting-GS-files-First-step-to-modding

Next, open your "Cities in Motion\metro\scripts\game.script" file with a text editor and change the settings. Should be around line 80 or so.

What do those values change exactly? And would it be possible for you to upload a modded file for us noobs?

Edit: Nevermind. Figured it out myself. Thanks though, this really worked!

Last edited:
The traffic is pretty busy, especially in Amsterdam, since the bridges make bottlenecks for the traffic. When you get better coverage, the traffic starts to diminish, since people will rather take take public transport option. If you can afford it, metro helps a lot.

No it really doesn't. I have 9 metro stops in amsterdamn, and significant coverage on about 75% of the map, and the traffic is still a mess.

After further playing I would say increasing coverage hasn't helped me out on this. At the moment vehicle capacities are too low, I can't be expected to run 10 busses on a line that reaches maybe few blocks? They get stuck in traffic, people wait and then those 10 busses come right after one another, maybe 5 of them can take new passengers from that stop, just isn't working.

Edit: Just tried increasing the amount of busses in traffic to get those angry mobs moving, used side roads but the line crossed one major artery, I have now almost 20 busses stuck on that one intersection.

Last edited:
Funny thing. annoying thing.

In the Demo Version, there is much less traffic. It plays good.
I'm gettimg disappointed and annoyed that the full version is getting played so poor because of the high ammount of Traffic!

Status
Not open for further replies.