• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

tuore

Caramelised Utopian
76 Badges
Mar 16, 2009
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Lost Empire - Immortals
  • Magicka
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • 500k Club
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Deus Vult
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Island Bound
  • 200k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
rotti.png

Welcome to Reign of Terror - a global alternate history modification for Darkest Hour.

What is Reign of Terror?

Reign of Terror has a unique timeline featuring a vastly different World War One setup, the anarchist dominance across the world and the rise of integralist theories. It is very hard to condense the results of this timeline in a simple question, but one could say the first point of diversion focuses around the question "What if Serbia didn't withdraw?" and a different Great War after that. The timeline reveals more about this. The research behind this mod has been very accurate, and a huge proportion of the events in the timeline would have been plausible in real life as well.

Reign of Terror begins on the 24th of February 1934, a few weeks after an integralist coup in France (as a part of the February 6th Crisis). At this point, the world is vastly different from real life. The Russian Civil War has come to a ceasefire after years and years of indecisive fighting, anarchism has gained ground and reached nation-level adaptations and the Wall Street crash has brought the world economy to its knees. China has split. Authoritanianism is taking over Europe. No one is safe, and the war might come at any time from any direction. The world is living a dark time and anarchy, chaos and radicalism is ruling over the world. It is a true reign of Terror.

worldin1934.png

Boo! This is all implausible, this is just a fantasy mod!
It's not. If you take a look at the timeline and compare the events to real history, you will notice several similarities. I can guarantee you, Serbia did really try to attack Albania, they really did get warned by Italy and Austria-Hungary. All of the interwar events are based on real happenings, too. France really nearly suffered a coup in 1934, Makhno could have taken over Ukraine etc.

So this is by no means a fantasy mod, but an alternate history modification based on plausible events.

Why did you make this?
For a long time I enjoyed Kaiserreich and the interesting setup it brought. Sure, it's still very awesome, but I just wanted to explore other alt-historical possibilities. I stumbled upon several interesting threads over at alternatehistory.com, and finally some months ago refined the final form.

What can I do to help?
At the moment, the most important thing I need is research. I need to find correct ministers, flags, events and other stuff for all the new and old countries.
If you don't feel like contributing through research, you can go ahead and learn the timeline, then start writing in the wiki (link at the bottom).
Graphics design is welcome, too. In fact, any way you can help is appreciated.

Links

RoTWiki

Imperial Gamble - the old discussion thread for the mod. This is the thread where we together discussed and formed the final form of the timeline.

Note that the wiki is still in a very early stage. I have also experienced lag myself, so I might in the future transfer it over to another wiki provider.

Sweet mother of God, what's with the mega-Poland?

Sweet mother of God, what's with the mega-Poland?

Russia was still intact when the Great War ended, so they demanded parts of eastern Germany. The civil war was delayed until 1926 (at which point all the revolters were extremely unhappy of Russia and were strong), and that's when Poland emerged. They then proceeded to attack Lithuania (for sea access) and Ukraine. Now the Polish-League of Nations relations are quite cold.

Russia was still intact when the Great War ended, so they demanded parts of eastern Germany. The civil war was delayed until 1926 (at which point all the revolters were extremely unhappy of Russia and were strong), and that's when Poland emerged. They then proceeded to attack Lithuania (for sea access) and Ukraine. Now the Polish-League of Nations relations are quite cold.

Hmmm. In such a setup, Poles are probably ~60% of the population. Hope they start without cores on all that Lithuanian territory. :eek: Massive dissent also seems appropriate...

Is the LoN less inconsequential in this timeline?

Is the LoN less inconsequential in this timeline?

They were incapable of doing just about anything during the RCW, they guaranteed some independences. But they have a lot influence over German and Austrian politics (and polish aggressions might make the LoN give Germany their blessing to attack).

Last edited:
looking great.

I'm right in the middle of compiling info (ministers and military leaders) on Zhili (which we might rename to Fengtian, I'm seriously confused on that part...) from wiki (mostly Japanese googletranslated) and Kaiserreich + HoI files. Got 25 names at the moment with some sparse background info and recommended post.

I have also started with some thinking of "how did we end up here?" for China but I'm too confused to add something to the timeline. Will add something this evening or the coming days.

Looks really interesting!

This will require a significant number of events to ease the player into a new timeline, as well as keep them immersed without feeling he's playing some kind of pure fantasy mod...

This will require a significant number of events to ease the player into a new timeline, as well as keep them immersed without feeling he's playing some kind of pure fantasy mod...
The Kaiserriech mod is an example of sucha mod which succeded with said thing. Also, don't underestimate the power of introduction text for each country. :)

Ok, so what is the setup of Spain and Latin America in this mod? And please, don't answer me with the typical cliché things (radicalism in South America, the monarchy survived in Spain, etc.).

Ok, so what is the setup of Spain and Latin America in this mod? And please, don't answer me with the typical cliché things (radicalism in South America, the monarchy survived in Spain, etc.).

Spain, which is a democracy, has to keep an eye out for France (which has just become an authoritanian nation), and they have to deal with the increased popularity of Federación Anarquista Ibérica.
There are also planned global colonial revolts (triggered by a crisis over the british colonies in China), during which Spain might be able to snatch French Morocco.

South America is a bit "broken" after the Chaco War, in which Argentina, Chile and Brazil defended Paraguay and divided Bolivia completely. These three nations now have quite cold tensions, and border disputes are not uncommon.
Also, the integralist movements in Brazil are getting fuel after the successful integralist coup in France. Ação Integralista Brasileira was historically one of the largest political parties ever, and in this mod, it has even more popularity due to recent events.

The Kaiserriech mod is an example of sucha mod which succeded with said thing. Also, don't underestimate the power of introduction text for each country. :)

I completely forgot about the introduction texts! :eek:

It is at the moment unfinished (and to some degree on my list of to do!)

Need to read up a bit on the end of Qing and the Warlord-Republic of China relationship first which might take some time.

Well, I read the wiki and I saw the first hole. Anarchists participating in elections. This is not as it worked, and much less for guys like the FAI in Spain that were orthodox anarcho-syndicalists, so no recognition of the parliament.