+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 2.4.6 download/feedback thread.

2.4.6 download/feedback thread.

checksum BWGA.

a lot of politics work done on this one, but other than that it's mostly bugfixes etc.

you should see a lot more reactionaries early on, and a strong polarisation during the liberal revolution. Which should make it a much more violent time all round.

http://www.2shared.com/file/R2E88A9U/PDM_246.html
    For every subtle and complicated question, there is a simple and straightforward answer, which is wrong.

Creator of PDM:PoD for Heart of Darkness: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...ownload-thread
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand Creator of '1792' for March of the Eagles: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...69074-1792-mod

Arsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSword of the StarsSupreme Ruler 2020 Gold
    Supreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Play as Owari (again). Everything goes according to plan until 1845 (got opium in 1843) when my citizens cannot afford canned food. In 1854 united Japan has 15 M citizens. China has 360 M. Austrin lose 2 M even Schlesien occupied (they are not starving, only emigrates). As Owari I have 4 times cholera, 5 times flu, 1 time smallpox, it could be coincidence but it is uncommon.

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneVictoria 2

Quote Originally Posted by Hoody View Post
    As Owari I have 4 times cholera, 5 times flu, 1 time smallpox, it could be coincidence but it is uncommon.
    Those will pop up when your poor strata isn't getting its life needs, but even so that's pretty frequent. Did you use the changed files I posted, Naselus? (As in the second batch, I mean.)

I used batches 1 and 2, as opposed to the combined version.
    For every subtle and complicated question, there is a simple and straightforward answer, which is wrong.

Creator of PDM:PoD for Heart of Darkness: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...ownload-thread
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand Creator of '1792' for March of the Eagles: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...69074-1792-mod

Quote Originally Posted by Naselus View Post
    I used batches 1 and 2, as opposed to the combined version.
    Ahh, okay. Then their frequency should be reduced considerably in the combined version.

Quite the lively game

I'm in August of 1849 in a hands-off Haiti game.

I must say, this has been the most active and chaotic version of PDM or, indeed, of Victoria II that I have seen.

South America has been a mess (possibly in a good way). South Peru broke off from Peru as per events. Ecuador took a piece of Peru. Peru-Bolivia turned into Bolivia, lost a province to Chile. Peru, South Peru, and Bolivia all suffered reactionary revolts. South Peru had a secession of Peru-Bolivia, leaving them with only Arequipa. So now we have Peru, South Peru, Peru-Bolivia, and Bolivia all existing simultaneously and no one is the satellite of anyone else. I don't know whether that's a "broken" series of events. There are so many absolute monarchies there now that it's easy to imagine something like this happening as various dynasties claim the throne. So from a gameplay standpoint it might be good or bad, but it's easy to "explain away" from a megagame perspective. And it is certainly entertaining to watch.

Texas annexed by Mexico. USA white peaced with Mexico after failing to capture California. Central America went into a war against Mexico to humiliate it but ended up losing Costa Rica to Mexico's Columbian ally.

In Europe, Prussia takes S-H and Jylland as usual. UK undergoes Jacobin revolution, becomes a Democracy. Tunis annexed by France. Morocco divvied up between Portugal, Netherlands, and Spain.

Egypt takes a province from Ethiopia. Loses the Aegean Island to Two Sicilies. Prussia joins together with the Ottomans in a war against Egypt and Prussia gains Palestine and Lebanon, in addition to the Ottoman gain. Ottomans annex Nejad, intervene to prevent Spain from conquering Hejaz. Persia loses Tabriz to Russia. China takes Haka from Burma, loses it to the UK later, after Russia is unsuccessful in an intervention. Later, UK goes after China again but this time does not succeed and is forced to white peace after about a year. Panjab forces UK to white peace in a successful defense. Loses a province to Afghanistan, later retakes it.

Russia just declared war on Austria in an attempt to humiliate it. Britain just declared war on USA in an attempt to humiliate it.

It's like the whole world has gone mad! This is by far the most action-intensive game I have seen and I am loving it. The reactionary revolutions have been more active, but localized to South and Central America. I was surprised that the UK couldn't put down the Jacobin rebellion, which might have been a part of their failure to leave troops on the home islands.

Lots of shifting in the bottom two slots of the GP list. Netherlands becomes GP, later loses it, now is a GP again. Two Sicilies and Piedmont switch places as GP/secondary. Ottomans looked like they were going to do well, but apparently couldn't keep up with the industrializing Italians and Netherlands.

I have to do homework so I will keep it running, but expect to lose a lot of the play-by-play observations, as I will only be able to check in every 5-10 years or so. But overall, it's looking pretty darn good from here.

One more quick thing. USA just sphered Egypt, and then Egypt opted to leave the sphere. It doesn't look like USA got any caucus bells or anything like that against Egypt as repercussions. I seem to remember this being a % chance thing, with multiple outcomes, but I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a bug.

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindHearts of Iron III Collection
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

I just got the Spanish Flu event and it doesn't seem to actually do anything. I see the modifier in the politics tab, but I don't lose any population.

Greece and Netherlands both went Jacobin, so there is some pushback in the late 1840s to the reactionary tilt...

And the Ionian Islands. Early 1850s.

I saw USA sphere Mexico, Mexico leaving the sphere, and the USA getting a cut down to size war against them as a result. So that's cool.

Found a glitch!

Okay, so Columbia took Costa Rica from the United States of Central America, prior to its dissolution. When the USCA broke apart, Guatemala decided to fight to-unify it. They have succeeded in this, except it says they are at war with Costa Rica. But there is no Costa Rica on the map or nation list, and when I click on the nation which says it's Costa Rica when I let my cursor hover over it, it shows whatever country I am playing.

Found another glitch!

Syrian nationalists are allegedly successful in breaking away, but Syria hasn't actually formed. This might be because the Ottoman Empire controls Homs, but the rebellion is taking place in Egypt and the Syrians should be able to form in Ruwayshid.

More things I've never seen before.

Waing Chan formed after breaking away from Siam. That's pretty crazy. Also, Japan and Tokugawa fought to a white peace, which I've never seen before...

Quote Originally Posted by KaiserBenjamin View Post
    South America has been a mess (possibly in a good way). South Peru broke off from Peru as per events. Ecuador took a piece of Peru. Peru-Bolivia turned into Bolivia, lost a province to Chile. Peru, South Peru, and Bolivia all suffered reactionary revolts. South Peru had a secession of Peru-Bolivia, leaving them with only Arequipa. So now we have Peru, South Peru, Peru-Bolivia, and Bolivia all existing simultaneously and no one is the satellite of anyone else. I don't know whether that's a "broken" series of events. There are so many absolute monarchies there now that it's easy to imagine something like this happening as various dynasties claim the throne. So from a gameplay standpoint it might be good or bad, but it's easy to "explain away" from a megagame perspective. And it is certainly entertaining to watch.
    The combination of Peru/South Peru/PBC/Bolivia comes from their cores remaining in each country. So PBC has cores in South Peru, Bolivia has cores in PBC, etc. ...thus you can get nationalists breaking off from the rest of the country. Personally I think the event that has PBC revert to Bolivia should probably remove all PBC cores. There should possibly also be an event for South Peru to rejoin Peru if PBC no longer exists, or perhaps to make Peru and South Peru a cultural union.

OMG America FAIL

The CSA seceded successfully, then both USA and CSA were overrun with rebels, destroying the USA industry, knocking it out of the Great Power list, and sending it into a death spiral. The USA went from over 1,000 industry to less than 100 in a period of less than three years. The Anarchists and Reactionaries are fighting for power and it looks like it will go from Democracy to Bourgeois Dictatorship to some sort of reactionary government. The CSA is doing the exact same thing. Oh the humanity!

Taiping broke off successfully, but since they have no cores of the rest of China, they're just sitting there.

I also noticed that the "break out of sphere" leading to "cut down to size" caucus bell is working against China, because it puts them in regular conflict with western governments, leading to those governments adding provinces to their war goals. Maybe that's intentional though.

*EDIT* I noticed that the USA doesn't have cores on the American west. Maybe they haven't done Manifest Destiny yet, but that seems unusual to me.

*EDIT 2* I went back to 1860 and watched the ACW unfold. It looks like the rebellions pre-date the end of the war. Both the USA and CSA are slowly being overrun with reactionary rebels even as they fight each other. By the time they settle for peace, neither of them are capable of the at-home revolts. I have no idea whether this is something that will occur in most playthroughs or whether it's an aberrant event in mine.

Japan is slowly reunifying the island, but instead of going for conquest, it is doing it two provinces at at a time.

*EDIT 3* In my opinion, the "leave sphere of influence" event is firing far too often. It needs to be a rare thing, but it seems like it firing often, particularly with Mexico and China. And this complete USA collapse is just painful to watch. My hands-off Haiti is currently ranked higher than them, which is just embarrassing.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by KaiserBenjamin; 21-02-2011 at 00:53.

I wonder if the AI is capable of springing back from that. So long as the craftsmen stick around, it should be able to.
    B.B.B.B.B.B.B.B.B.Mod for CK II

Every winter my Uncle Bilbert used to go out and buy clothes for his entire hobbit family. I remember the first year I came along with him shopping. His tongue was swollen up so he was unable to speak but my uncle Bilbert was not concerned. He simply took me and my cousins to town and proudly presented his young relatives to the shopkeeper. The wise old clothesmaker just smiled and started taking measurements. After so many years of business he didn't hesitate to in fur my uncle's hobbits.

In general, I think the revolutions have gotten a little bit out of hand. If nothing else, given the prominence of ideological revolutions, I think we need to tone down the angry rioters, which happen somewhere at a pace of around once a month, if not more.

In general, I think the revolutions have gotten a little bit out of hand. If nothing else, given the prominence of ideological revolutions, I think we need to tone down the angry rioters, which happen somewhere at a pace of around once a month, if not more.
    Something must be driving militancy up. If those rebels weren't turning to the Angry Rioters, they would be turning to something else-- if militancy is high enough to make them rise, then they're going to join some group no matter what. It's very strange, I think, to see that much militancy in the USA unless it's lost some wars.

Quote Originally Posted by Rylock View Post
    Something must be driving militancy up. If those rebels weren't turning to the Angry Rioters, they would be turning to something else-- if militancy is high enough to make them rise, then they're going to join some group no matter what. It's very strange, I think, to see that much militancy in the USA unless it's lost some wars.
    Well it's not just the USA, militarism is just sky high everywhere outside of the Great Powers. It's like North Africa in real life now all across the globe in this game. I don't know, maybe it's just me though. I'll be interested to see if other people are also seeing this. How long do the liberal agitation events last, because I've been getting them recurrently for over a decade.

EDIT: Actually it's starting to settle down a little bit as I move into the 1870s. For a while there it was pretty intense, but it's starting to level out...

EDIT 2: USA finally got Manifest Destiny in 1871. Took them long enough!

EDIT 3: Japan finally unified (except Ainu) in 1875. Still uncivilized, but seems to be going at a much more realistic pace. TPG has the military power to annex China if it wanted to, but without cores it's taking one province at a time.
    Last edited by KaiserBenjamin; 21-02-2011 at 01:56.

Well it's not just the USA, militarism is just sky high everywhere outside of the Great Powers.
    If we're still having problems with pops meeting their life needs, that might very well be the cause.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast