+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Mongols

Field Marshal
    Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteHeir to the ThroneVictoria: Revolutions
    Victoria 2

Question The Mongols

Has anything been said about whether the Mongols would be in the game, similar to CK1?

I liked how they would arrive at a time when you usually had already won an empire, and were something like the late-game boss. However they often failed spectacularly and that could be very disappointing. Will anything be done about them?

Also, will they be just a giant all-coinquering blob? Or will they turn into a feudal realm that vassalizes princes and dukes, and generally stops being all-conquering?

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    Rome GoldSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedEU3 Collectors Edition
    500k club

There has not been any info regarding the Mongols yet. They'll definitely be in the game, but it has not been revealed how they will be handled.

Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Heir to the ThroneRome GoldMount & Blade: Warband500k club

This is an important question to consider, and I'm sure the devs have something cooked up already. I would favor several small waves of invasions, followed by the two big sustained invasion routes, then some settling down as happened historically, to form the Golden Horde and Il-Khanate (and their successor states: remember how scary the Timurids are in EU3?).

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    Rome GoldSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedEU3 Collectors Edition
    500k club

Yes, the Timurid invasion should be in the game for late starting dates. And Mongol chieftains like Timur Lenk should be able to rise up and gather their warriors and create havoc after the two main invasions (GH and Ilkhanate) are over.

The invasion should be dynamic, in one playthrough the khan might get killed in a skirmish against Cumans, in the other he might stand before the gates of Rome!

There should also be an option to bend the knee to the Khan. Then once the invasion peters out you can take advantage of it by striking out on your own again!

Of course, this being CK, this can all backfire in unforeseen ways.

I hope they make the Mongols more exciting than in Crusader Kings, they never seem to get very far for me, it's frustrating when I hear of them reaching the gates of Paris in other people's games!
    Being vassalised by the Empire sounds fun, I like that idea. Did the Mongol leaders rule their vassals differently to European leaders? Perhaps there could be events pertaining to that.
    I hope we get cool break-off states too, so that even if the main Empire gets defeated there might still be a Khan of Prussia or Bosnia.

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2

Huh? From what I remembers from early days of CK1 before they got patched, the Mongols tend to reach the Great Sea regularly. :S
    The Court of His Grace, Louis the Second, King of Hungary, Bohemia and Croatia in Medieval RPG

Field Marshal
    Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneSemper Fi
    Victoria 2Hoi 2 Beta500k club

I would like generic rule set for nomads that would applies to Mongol but also to others nomads tribes (Cumans or even Tuaregs for example).
    For example, they could be able to raise steppes cavalry from unsettled slots of their owned provinces (and classic troops from owned settlements like any other lord).
    [provinces will be owned by nomads when the capital barony is either owned by the horde or a vassals of the nomad horde)

The particularity of Mongol, will be that they will appears with lots of troops and with better strategic abilities. So even if they share a common "horde" ruleset or Cumans will not threaten the old continent while Mongols will.

As settlements will appears in their provinces, the nomads hordes will be less and less able to raise steppes cavalry and will become more and more sedentary (EDIT : like it happened with the Seljuq Turcs who could perhaps also start as nomad tribes).
    Last edited by Captain Frakas; 18-02-2011 at 18:22.
    One does not put a king on trial. One kills him.
    One cannot reign innocently: the insanity of doing so is evident. Every king is a rebel and a usurper.
    Saint Just.

Perfection Personified Calantyr's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the ThroneLeviathan: Warships
    Lost Empire - ImmortalsMagickaEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Rome GoldSword of the StarsSword of the Stars IIVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisWar of the RosesCK2: Holy KnightEU Rome Collectors Edition
    EU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

I want the Horde to scare me. Massively. I want to fear their coming, even if I'm huddled away in Iceland.
    "Too often Fate,
    by all abhorred,
    to savage poison,
    adds the sword."
    - Boethius, The Concillations of Philosophy

Quote Originally Posted by Calantyr View Post
    I want the Horde to scare me. Massively. I want to fear their coming, even if I'm huddled away in Iceland.
    I couldn´t agree more.

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMarch of the Eagles
    Rome GoldSemper FiSword of the StarsSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldSupreme Ruler: Cold War
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessPride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

I just hope they can arrive in alternative fashions. The Mongols invaded Central Asia only when their merchants were executed by a Persian kingdom (Can't remember the name) under the suspicion that they were spies.

I believe one of the previews had something like "There will be certain events, such as the arrival of the Mongols, to make the game more interesting".

Quote Originally Posted by Calantyr View Post
    Maybe Mongols' aggressiveness could depend at least partly on who (in what region) the human player plays. Mongols could take a bit easier if the player is some count-tier ruler in East, and be meaner if the player is a king somewhere in West.
    There is a theory which states that if anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
    ~Douglas Adams~

Quote Originally Posted by Leviathan07 View Post
    Also, will they be just a giant all-coinquering blob? Or will they turn into a feudal realm that vassalizes princes and dukes, and generally stops being all-conquering?
    I hope they will do the last thing. I know they did irl. For example Muzcowy formed their early empire (later Russia) by dealings with the mongols, where they paid tithes to the mongol overlords and helped collect more by defeating neighbours, thus expanding their own territory. Mongols also had infighting and fragmentation after the death of some Khan if I recall right, so after that remained powerful but in a fragmented state. Those you can see as starting countries in EU3. So it would be cool if it could turn in that direction during late game CK2.

Quote Originally Posted by Comrade Chaos View Post
    I just hope they can arrive in alternative fashions. The Mongols invaded Central Asia only when their merchants were executed by a Persian kingdom (Can't remember the name) under the suspicion that they were spies.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khw%C4%...C4%81h_dynasty

iirc a CK2 map-thread included reasons why that area should be expanded upon a bit in order to reflect the regions strategic/historic significance. especially vis-à-vis the Mongols.

Unfortunately i think that may be an area for modders... haven't quite seen the breakdown of it from the alpha screenshots so far.

Slacker Extraordinaire Zzzzz...'s Avatar
    67 games registered

If the place is comfy to sleep in, yes, you can find me there!
    I have faith on Paradox that they'll make the Mongols better this time. The 'No demense penalty' tied on Mongol culture is just not right. I would love to see them converting to Islam or even Christianity if they went deeper into Europe at some point at the game.
    The list of all my AARs: INKWELL

Current AAR: Golden Sun - A KR Kurdistan AAR - Darkest Hour
    The Policies of Grandeur - Coming Soon!

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultDiplomacyHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionRome GoldSengokuMount & Blade: Warband
    CK2: Holy KnightEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Blog Entries
    Maybe there can be a mongol setting before you start your game. Where you can set them to be timid, ill-tempered, or apocalyptic. Because there are times when I want to play and not worry about the mongols. But then there are times when you want them to crush all before them, maybe even you!

"Keen at start, careless at the end."-Tacitus.

Under the Scarlet Stefan: CKAAR
    The Blood of Genghis: EU3AAR

Quote Originally Posted by DukeWilleo1630 View Post
    Maybe there can be a mongol setting before you start your game. Where you can set them to be timid, ill-tempered, or apocalyptic. Because there are times when I want to play and not worry about the mongols. But then there are times when you want them to crush all before them, maybe even you!
    This sounds like a good idea. Perhaps you want to play an empire building game and want a good late game challenge in the form of the Mongols who could potentially destroy everything you made and send you straight back to the beginning.

They should also splinter after all of the madness has gone or their great Khan leader has died with a succession crisis. It would be great to see the Khan of Scotland battling it out with the Khan of England for example

I think the Mongols should appear in two forms.

1. The Horde: The massive doom armies that terrify the world over

2. Normal states: When the Mongols conquer they eventually form normal countries that you can interact with like the Il-Khanate, and the Jalayirids.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Comrade Chaos View Post
    Khwarezmian Empire?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast