• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Poor Holland. :(

Nice update!

Thank you! And don't feel too badly about the Netherlands. Even though they lost they captured/culture shifted one of France's colonial provinces. Since they were gonna lose regardless, it's nice they got to keep something for all their success on the battlefield!

Poor Holland Indeed, though I doubt that France can annex it without taking on its Colonial Empire. It's not like Empire: Total War.

Nice update by the way!

You are correct, France won't be able to take the Dutch capital unless it's their sole province. However, in some of my games the Netherlands moves their capital overseas once France is breathing down their neck. So it's not impossible for the Dutch to get kicked off the continent.

Thanks for the comment!

Chapter Four
Wherein a Leader Dies, a Leader Lives, Wars are Fought, and a Cliff is Hanged

Lord Protector David Clive fell ill with pneumonia in the fall of 1654. He passed away on November eleventh. Daniel Braddock, a veteran captain of the revolution, was elected to the office of Lord Protector.

image401.jpg

Braddock was a competent statesman, but, in contrast with his predecessor, a poor diplomat. He was elected on the strength of his military credentials. Many in Parliament were unhappy with the overly conciliatory nature of Clive’s foreign policy. England was an ascendant economic power: it was felt, then, that England’s military strength should follow suit. Braddock was more than happy to oblige their expectations. His early career as Lord Protector was marked with military measures.

In the later days of Clive’s protectorship, a Colonial Army was sent to Belize to put down a rebellion there. It was Braddock who received the first detailed reports from that expedition. They spoke of a small enclave of native people, unexpectedly un-conquered by the Spaniards. Braddock ordered this land incorporated into English colonial possessions on the otherwise Spanish main.

image402.jpg

The annexation was a practically instant affair. Before long, missionaries had brought English religion, language, and culture to the province.

This was not Braddock’s only instruction with regards to England’s colonial holdings. He ordered all self-sustaining colonies fortified. Clive’s settlement of dependent territories was continued; however, Braddock focused more on English Caribbean possessions, seeing them as strategic assets in the game against Spain.

image403.jpg

This policy of military construction was not limited to colonial fortification. In the summer of 1655, Braddock personally broke ground on the site of the future London Arsenal, and four ships-of-the-line were laid down in shipyards across England.

image404.jpg

The end of 1655 would see Braddock’s military skill tested. France had declared war against a coalition of powers on the Indian subcontinent. England dutifully answered the call to arms, but was primarily concerned with defending its possessions in the area. As Braddock prepared a squadron of ships and detachment of troops, a Mysorean army 12,000 strong marched on Madras.

image405.jpg

Madras was well fortified and could easily wait out a siege while reinforcements were en route. While the expedition to relieve Madras was still being organized, Braddock sent a message to the colonial governor that proved his cunning. It was known to the Lord Protector that the locals were becoming agitated by English rule. Braddock’s orders were to stoke them to armed rebellion. His thinking was that they would fight the Mysorean invasion: whoever prevailed would be well-bloodied and easy prey for the arriving English. His plan worked spectacularly.

image406.jpg

The whole host of Mysore was destroyed, and English troops defeated the remaining rebels on arrival. Without an army, Mysore was itself easy prey. The English Indian Army occupied the entire country.

image407.jpg

Despite England’s successes, France ended the war with a white peace. However, the English soldiers and ships would remain based in Madras. Braddock expected more successes in the east eventually. With Dutch, Spanish, and even Swedish possessions in the Far East, Braddock had to be prepared to open that theater even in a European war.

image408.jpg

Swedish Indochina!

Permanent detachments to North America, and now India, further reduced the main body of the New Model Army. Thus, Braddock expanded the ranks. Parliament had, after all, elected Braddock with the aim of expanding and exercising England’s martial power. So far they received their wish, but would Braddock’s blatant, boisterous belligerence bite off more than it could chew?

Great update! The conquest of India has begun!

Swedish Indochina is pretty weird though.

Thanks everyone for commenting! Also, I have over 1,000 views, so thanks everyone for reading! This AAR wouldn't be possible without viewers like you.

Swedish Indochina is pretty weird though.

Tell me about it. I did a double take when I saw that; but in this time period, historically, Sweden was the Swedish Empire and they did have overseas possessions (none in Asia, though). It's difficult to see in the world map I posted on the last page, but they have a colony in Delaware of all places. I've learnt it was established in 1638.

How's the spread of Puritanism going on the Home Isles?

Not well, I'm afraid. I've made no noteworthy missionary effort. Had Cromwell lived past the Civil War, I was going to do some conversions, but in my current role-playing I imagine a strong Puritan bloc in Parliament moderated by the fact the country is significantly Protestant. London, the seat of power and commerce, is not Reformed and thus I imagine a good deal of the merchants are not. Since my slider is fully Plutocrat, I have to assume the merchant class has considerable influence.

In game terms the government is Reformed, and in real life the Instrument of Government recognized Christianity of a "sound doctrine," and recommended its advancement by "good conversation." However, it stated that there would be no penalties for practitioners of other denominations (except Catholics). Furthermore, Cromwell allowed the resettlement of the Jews, so he was not single-mindedly devoted to religious conformity; and since, in my role-playing, neither of his successors have been as zealous, I've decided against widespread conversion. Though I do have in mind a character who would expend great energy on such endeavors, he would only appear if my role-play determines the Puritan faction managed to get "their man" in office.

Nice to the Commonwealth getting in on India - does the republic have any major threats looming on the horizon for Braddock to accidentally piss off?

Accidentally? No, no major threats accidentally pissed off. The next two chapters (maybe one if I can merge them) will answer your question more in particular.

I for one support our new Lord Protector and the other overlords in his country.

You should move deeper into India.

India will definitely see some English aggression before long. I might have taken territory in the previous war, but I had no control over it. The next will be fought on mine own terms.

Thanks again to all commenters and readers. I have to apologize: I wanted to get a chapter posted today, but my body decided not to sleep last night and I’ve been on the knife’s edge. I will assuredly get one posted by the weekend.

Chapter Five
Wherein Old Wounds are Open, a Forbidden Treaty Summons up the Blood, the Matter is Decided by Force of Arms

“There are good Englishmen in the ground, the first patriots of the republic, who fought and died for the resolution of the civil war. Mine own body bears the scars of that conflict. That same resolution for which we fought, and many died, had among its provisions the abrogation of the Scottish-Swedish alliance in perpetuity. It has come to my attention that those two powers have now violated that Peace Treaty which was by all parties made law. It is here we see the fundamental difference between our Commonwealth and those Kingdoms: they assume law is subject to kings; we believe kings subject to law. Now they will learn, for we will teach them, that the laws of the Commonwealth of England cannot be violated without consequence, and the law of peace is violated on pain of death.”

Such were the words of Daniel Braddock as he addressed Parliament in the summer of 1657. War was declared.

image501.jpg

The Subjugation of the Scottish King to English Law

The numbers did not favor England, not even on the sea, yet English morale was high. Even more so after the first battle of the war. Braddock masterfully led the New Model Army. He managed to destroy the entire Scottish Army--12,000 men--in a single battle.

image502.jpg

Unprecedented Victory

The English were now unchallenged on their island home, but the Swedish Empire posed a great danger. Numerically they rivaled the Commonwealth at sea and surpassed them on land. Blake had but 24 ships to defend the English coasts. His first engagement of the war was against the small navy of Mecklenburg as it attempted to land troops on an Ireland absent English troops.

image503.jpg

It was an easy victory. Had the forces arrayed against the Commonwealth been more coordinated it would not have been: weeks later a Swedish fleet again attempted to land troops at Meath--evidence a joint invasion was originally planned. As it was, the Swedish fleet outnumbered Blake's. The disparity would have been more extreme had they met their allies as planned.

Though the Swedish fleet enjoyed the advantage of numbers, Blake had a distinct tactical advantage. The Swedish had to protect their landing, which made the disposition of their ships predictable and exploitable to Blake. He engaged the Swedes with the intent to decide the matter of naval supremacy. It was decided.

image504.jpg

Several Swedish ships were lost: some to destruction, others to capture. Five Swedish regiments had managed to land on Ireland, but they were now isolated by the Commonwealth’s command of the sea. They would be easily dealt with once the war in Scotland was won. The front there progressed much the same as it had before; not surprising, for it was on that battlefield which Braddock learned to war.

image505.jpg

Meanwhile, in North America, the Colonial Army besieged the Swedish colony of Delaware.

image506.jpg

By the summer of 1658, one year after hostilities began, a new peace with Scotland was signed. They were allowed to conduct their internal affairs, but the Scottish could no longer be trusted with foreign policy. Thus, their king was disposed and a governor appointed by Westminster took his place.

image507.jpg

The war with Scotland was ended, the war with Sweden would continue.

Wonderful work against Sweden! It just shows how a leader can make all the difference in a battle!

Wonderful work against Sweden! It just shows how a leader can make all the difference in a battle!

Yep, I'm very lucky to have Blake, though to be honest even with Blake I would not have fought that battle normally. I usually micromanage my fleets but to add an extra layer of RP I'm only setting them on patrols. I almost plotzed when I saw 24 v 37 :eek: But the most significant thing about that battle is that I destroyed their transports. We'll see a little of the remaining Swedish navy next chapter, but they were too timid to try their luck against the Commonwealth Navy again :D

so soon it will be the Commonwealth of Great Britain one day. This is oh so good!!! :D

Glad you're enjoying it! Though I feel a union will happen later rather than sooner. But your comment brings up an interesting topic. Historically the Commonwealth of England became the Commonwealth of England, Scotland, and Ireland. The terms "Great Britain" and "British" aren't found in reference to this, which unless I'm mistaken was the first actual political (as opposed to personal) union of the nations (though really more like English occupation, annexation, e.g. Scotland got 30 seats in Parliament cf. England's 400). Anyway, there was one government but the countries kept their distinction in its official title. From an alt. history perspective, this may be an interesting point with regards to "Britishness." From a gameplay perspective, it has me questioning whether or not I should tag-switch when a "union" does happen. My writing for this AAR is informed by gameplay and the game engine, and the game already combines English and Scottish culture into the British Culture Group. Therefore I'm somewhat inclined to switch but still very unsure.

What are everybody's thoughts on the matter? And could anyone point me in the direction of a good reference that traces the historical connotations and usage of the word "British"?

Ah I see you're beginning to rival the Swedes themselves when it comes to sinking the Swedish navy :D

Just read it all. Very nice for a first AAR ever! :) Please do continue.

Ah I see you're beginning to rival the Swedes themselves when it comes to sinking the Swedish navy :D

I'm afraid I don't get the reference :eek:o But thanks for commenting! The Swedish navy will only have a cameo role in the next chapter, but an interesting one none the less.

Just read it all. Very nice for a first AAR ever! :) Please do continue.

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment! I plan to work on next chapter now and should have it posted some time today or tomorrow.

I'm a bit sorry though because Chapter 6, like Chapter 5, will be on the short side. I planned on combining them for a normal length chapter, or barring that release them in quick succession. Unfortunately my weekend and now my week were busier than anticipated. But the show must go on, I can't stop, won't stop, the spice must flow and all that. Expect an update soonish! :)

Excellent work, you've ensured the safety of the Home Isles once and for all, and you embarrassed some Swedes along the way. Not much to complain about there. :D

I'm afraid I don't get the reference :eek:o But thanks for commenting! The Swedish navy will only have a cameo role in the next chapter, but an interesting one none the less.

Well just look at the Vasa or the Battle of Öland for references to the fact that Swedes should stay clear of ships and water.

Chapter Six
Wherein the War against the Swedish Empire is Resolved

The matter of England’s northern neighbor had been settled. Now England’s military might could be singularly focused on the Swedish interlopers. The Fall season saw the Commonwealth’s first land victories against the Swede. First their Delaware colony was occupied, then their armies were swept from Ireland.

image601.jpg

Sweden attempted a peculiar retaliation in the colonial theater at year’s end. They landed a single regiment in Abnaki. It was quickly dispatched by the New Model Army’s North American detachment.

image602.jpg

This landing was nothing short of a curiosity to Braddock and his naval commanders. After the victory in the Irish Sea, Blake’s fleet had to retire to port. The Swedish fleet was thus able to escape, doubtlessly returning to port as well, having suffered more. Although the Commonwealth Navy was unable to account for the Swedish navy directly following the Battle of the Irish Sea, it was quite certain no enemy ships had passed through the Channel once they resumed patrol.

Wanting no further maritime mischief, Braddock ordered Blake to sail for the Baltic to conclude the Swedish navy. Blake found no resistance there, just a few newly built ships in port--no doubt replacements for the ships he had sunk. Therefore, Blake effected a blockade of the entire Baltic Seacoast. He positioned his main force at the Kattegat; if the Swedish navy was to liberate the Baltic Sea, which was practically a Swedish lake, they would need to meet him there.

image603.jpg

The effect this had on the Swedish Empire cannot be understated. To administrate their non-peninsular territories, Sweden needed Baltic sea lines of communication. Land routes were circuitous, through harsh geography, and inefficient. Thus, Blake’s blockade cost the Swedish Empire dearly, not just in terms of external trade but internally also.

With a handle on the sea war, Braddock prepared for the land campaign. The Lord Protector sent word to the colonial governor of Madras to investigate the possibility of an expedition against Swedish Indochina to be taken at his own discretion with the resources he had on hand. The governor’s reply was an interesting, if strange, intelligence report.

image604.jpg

Only a Knut Bagge could have devised this scheme!

“Adventure against the Swedes’ oriental holdings does not seem prudent action at this time,” read his report. “The forces there outnumber those under my command. I’ve spoken to a captain of La Royale, and it appears the remaining body of the Swedish fleet are embarking troops--one regiment at a time!--their destination unknown. If opportunity presents itself, I will take action, but at present it is unwise.”

Braddock was not too disturbed to have this avenue of action closed to him. He knew the central efforts had to be against Swedish soil, not the far periphery of their empire. He made entreaties to England’s ally the Dane, reasoning only a combined English-Danish march could hope to overcome Sweden’s 30,000 man army in a frontal attack, but was rebuffed. Denmark was glad to see their neighbor weakened, but for myriad reasons was unable to sustain even a joint war at this time. (They did, however, give their tacit support for England’s efforts: Blake’s boats found fond welcome in Danish ports.)

Thus denied his preferred straight fight, Braddock would have to content himself with “sneaking around”--Fabian tactics. As he was preparing to embark on this campaign, an envoy from Spain arrived with an unexpected message. King Felipe wished to resume the provisions of the Anglo-Portuguese treaty from the new seat of power over Portugal, Madrid. This was a transparent attempt to neutralize the danger the English-French alliance presented.

Lord Protector Daniel Braddock, like those members of parliament that elected him, viewed Spain as a rival to be replaced by the Commonwealth as the preeminent world power. He was therefore expected to reject, but didn’t. Instead, quite deviously, he accepted their hollow offer of alliance and immediately called upon the Spanish king to join England’s war. Naturally, Spain rejected. This was a considerable scandal in the international community. By refusing to honor a treaty they proposed, Spain was made to appear untrustworthy and cowardly. Braddock was no diplomat, but when he viewed a nation as an enemy, and the worldstage a battlefield, he was capable then of some truly splendid maneuvers. Just another move in the great game against the Spanish Empire.

image605.jpg

That matter concluded, Braddock left for Sweden. He decided to campaign in the southern Baltic coast. The fortifications there were less developed and the Swedish army would have to march up the Swedish coast and down the Finnish coast to reach him.

image606.jpg

While he occupied Swedish land, reports reached Braddock of the Swedish fleet. That same fleet that had been spotted off Indochina now sailed past Bermuda. Soon, Swedish soldiers were besieging English-occupied Delaware.

image607.jpg

Braddock could only laugh. The Swedes had sailed from the orient to North America to deposit 1,000 men in a futile attempt to retake their colony. The Swedish navy was too timid to engage Blake at the Kattegat; the Baltic sea lines would remain closed to Sweden. Braddock knew the war was won, but Sweden was unwilling to accept it: Even the most favorable peace offers were rejected. After all, their main army was undefeated and their core territory was contiguous. Clearly, these facts blinded them to the fact of their defeat. Braddock would need to enlighten them.

The New Model Army was back at sea by the time the Swedish army reached occupied territory. Braddock ordered 9,000 more footmen embarked for the Baltic campaign. He had in mind the boldest maneuver of the war.

image608.jpg

They met him in Stockholm for the coup de grâce. The assault of Stockholm was a bloody affair. Perhaps the most well defended province in the world, Stockholm boasted highly developed fortifications and a garrison of 6,000 men; but Braddock would not relent--Stockholm’s walls would.

image609.jpg

Braddock had arrayed 20+ thousand men for the assault, only these remained

The capture of his capital was finally enough to bring the Swedish king to the negotiating table. Before and during the Baltic campaign England had offered white peace, and Sweden rejected. With the spilling of so much English blood at Stockholm, Braddock's conscience would no longer allow him to settle for anything less than Swedish surrender. England demanded minor concessions, and Sweden accepted.

image610.jpg

Finally, peace. Would it last?

Excellent work, you've ensured the safety of the Home Isles once and for all, and you embarrassed some Swedes along the way. Not much to complain about there. :D

Glad you're enjoying it, thanks for commenting. If you liked the engagement with the Swedes in chapter five, you should love chapter six :cool:

Well just look at the Vasa or the Battle of Öland for references to the fact that Swedes should stay clear of ships and water.

Eek, those are some nautical embarrassments for sure. Looks like Swedes should stick to making video games :rofl:

This is an excellent AAR.

Thank you kindly, sir. Your readership and commentary are appreciated.