+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: What do you look most forward to with CKII ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ruwaard View Post
    Perhaps there should be an event, where the Pope offers the crown of a kingdom or at least a claim on the crown and royal demesne, on his conditions, so at least in CK1 terms the religious law is set on church supremacy for a much longer time than normal. Obviously that kingdom and the papacy should have problems; but another reason is proximity, the Papal States and the kingdom of Sicily later Naples were neighbors, so the conflict also had a political component.
    This may be an interesting solution.

Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus Vult
    East India Company CollectionEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper Fi
    SengokuShip Simulator ExtremesVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of Nations
    EUIV: Conquest of ParadiseCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The Republic
    Crusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaCrusader Kings II: Charlemagne

Quote Originally Posted by Calantyr View Post
    Playing characters without having to own a province. Great addition (if I remember correctly).
    Is this confirmed? I'd love that. All the fun of character role-playing without the consequences!

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne

Quote Originally Posted by Gatkramp View Post
    Defeating everyone as the English.
    Partybreaker.

Defeating the English as the French or as the Rabbit of Caerbannog (well, it almost succeeded!)

Defeating the English as the vicious Chicken of Bristol at the Battle of Badenhill.

Ordnung muß sein Supermoderator Veldmaarschalk's Avatar
    77 games registered

200k clubCrusader Kings IIV2 BetaCK2: Holy Knight500k club

Quote Originally Posted by fletcherreed View Post
    Is this confirmed? I'd love that. All the fun of character role-playing without the consequences!
    No, AFAIK the statement is incorrect. This is what Doomdark said

Originally Posted by Doomdark
    Will we choose characters at the beginning, or hasn't this been decided yet?
    You will choose to play one of the landed nobles that existed at the start date you pick, and go from there

Intrigue. Characters forming alliances and stabbing each other in the back in order to move a step up the ladder. And of course I'm looking forward to getting back to the feudalism side of things. Just being a sovereign who has to manage vassals and is trying to gain more titles for himself. I'm also really looking forward to the (hopefully) inevitable Muslim expansion.

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultDivine WindHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    March of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSengoku
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessCK2: Holy KnightEU3 Collectors Edition
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms eventEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise
    EUIV: Res Publica

Just a question, will there be an official converter from CKII to EUIII?
    Traits: Thrifty clerk, Poet, Kind, Deceitful, Charitable, Wroth, Proud, Ambitious, Arbitrary, Homosexual, Zealot

Lore Lady Paradox Dev Team SolSara's Avatar
    200k clubEuropa Universalis 3500k club

Quote Originally Posted by Sam L View Post
    Just a question, will there be an official converter from CKII to EUIII?
    Probably not.
    Narrative Designer - Runemaster

Vita Brevis, Ars Longa

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis: Chronicles
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Lead and GoldMagickaMajesty 2Penumbra - Black PlagueVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengokuVictoria 2Rome: Vae Victis
    Mount & Blade: WarbandCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Quote Originally Posted by SolSara View Post
    Probably not.
    This is probably one of the most consistently requested features for every game you guys release, so why is it never implemented?
    I'm not trying to be snarky - i'm genuinely curious if there's some significant technical hurdle or whatever.
    Sola Virtus Invicta

Lore Lady Paradox Dev Team SolSara's Avatar
    200k clubEuropa Universalis 3500k club

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleidoscope View Post
    This is probably one of the most consistently requested features for every game you guys release, so why is it never implemented?
    I'm not trying to be snarky - i'm genuinely curious if there's some significant technical hurdle or whatever.
    It can be hard to make a good converter that works properly and, well, let's put it simple; we prefer to use the development time we get to make the game a good game, so a converter is not really prioritized as it does not make the game any better, just longer. This is mostly my opinion though.
    Last edited by SolSara; 24-02-2011 at 17:20.
    Narrative Designer - Runemaster

Vita Brevis, Ars Longa

Oberkommando HOI4 Paradox Dev Team podcat's Avatar
    200k clubHoI AnthologyDiplomacyFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengokuVictoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

About savegame converters, there are a few reasons.
    1. its one of those features that sounds great but doesnt end up as great in practice. So much data has to be "made up" between games (for example all pop data if converting to V2, or no germany in hoi3) and often the player goes on conquering sprees which leave the map less interesting to continue playing with.
    2. If we do an official converter it would have to have a high quality level which would be a pretty big undertaking
    3. all the data thats needed for converting is in plain text so its something very well suited for modders to make a tool for.
    4. I'm not convinced enough people would actually use the feature for it to be worth the effort to make an official one. There are fan made converters for a few games, do a lot of people use them?

200k clubCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDeus VultEuropa Universalis: Chronicles
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourMagickaRome Gold
    Semper FiVictoria 2Mount & Blade: WarbandWar of the RosesCK2: Holy Knight
    500k club

Quote Originally Posted by SolSara View Post
    It can be hard to make a good converter that works properly and, well, let's put it simple; we prefer to use the development time we get to make the game a good game, so a converter is not really prioritized as it does not make the game any better, just longer. This is mostly my opinion though.
    I think this is very good decision. I tried to convert only a handful of games, but it always generated very strange results and the imported game was no fun.
    "'Religious faith. Belief in daemons, belief in spirits, belief in an afterlife and all the other trappings of a preternatural existence, simply existed to make us all more comfortable and content in the face of a measureless cosmos. They were sops, bolsters for the soul, crutches for the intellect, prayers and lucky charms to help us through the darkness. But we have witnessed the cosmos now, my friends. We have passed amongst it. We have learned and understood the fabric of reality. We have seen the stars from behind, and found they have no clockwork mechanisms, no golden chariots carrying them abroad. We have realized there is no need for god, or any gods, and by extension no use any longer for daemons or devils or spirits."

- Primary Iterator Kyril Sindermann

Field Marshal
    Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneSemper Fi
    Victoria 2Hoi 2 Beta500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Paradox have made two converters : one for CK->EU2 and another for V:R -> HOI2DDA.
    The fan community have made lots of converters for each paradox games and their converters were really better than the official ones.

So I really prefers that Paradox works on game features and that the fan community make good converters.
    One does not put a king on trial. One kills him.
    One cannot reign innocently: the insanity of doing so is evident. Every king is a rebel and a usurper.
    Saint Just.

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine

The short answer is this:
    Paradox converters have (historically) sucked. And not sucked a little, sucked a lot. OTOH the converters random dudes make on the forum are typically pretty good.

The long answer is that making a good converter is very, very hard. For example there are a lot more countries in CK then EU. Ireland, for example, almost always has a dozen or so Counts and Dukes. But in EU2 there're only 4 Irish provinces. What do you do if the English have created the Irish King-title, but have no desmene provinces in Ireland, the Anglo-Irish Kingdom has collapsed due to having an incredibly crappy ruler, there are 5 Irish Duke-level characters, but the only guy with a multi-county realm is the independent Count of Dublin and Ulster?

If you're some guy practicing his Java you can get away with saying the four Dukes of provinces that appear in EU2 are the only ones who get to keep playing, and England (which is now unified because there's no tag for the Count of Essex in EU2) gets cores on the whole damn island. If you're Johan people demand miracles.

It only gets worse when people mod the hell out of their games, and think it's perfectly reasonable to ask Paradox's programmers to spend a day a week keeping the converter up-to-date with the latest mods.

This is actually the reason converters made by random guys tend to be pretty good. They don't have to bother thinking of miracles, and if they didn't have lots of free programming time they wouldn't have made the converter in the first place. They can generally either keep up with mods, or help the people who use mods convert their games.

Nick

Im looking forward to modding my peasant surname into the game and going from there haha.

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    Rome GoldSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedEU3 Collectors Edition
    500k club

There will probably be awesome fan made converters, so it doesn't bother me.

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesDivine WindHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
    Crusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of India
    Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne

everything! but mostly everything going terribly badly
    and the new intrigue and relationships stuff sound like they will make things going badly absolutely BRILLIANT
    Nationality: New Zealander One of what we all are, your companion and your friend.
    Religion: Roman Catholic I believe in you my brothers and sisters.
    Ideology: Distributist (I'm bored, so for the time being,) POPULIST.
    Issues: Moralism/Full Citizenship I have no convictions I stand for the People, I stand for You.
    How did some slip of a girlyboy from communist East Berlin become the internationally ignored song stylist barely standing before you?

Don't Press the O

Euro-centric Diplomat Negru Voda's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3For the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourMagickaSemper FiVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness500k club

To actually see the mongols hit (not sure why, but I always gave up on my games before they made their entrance) maybe this game will keep me hooked long enough

To play it multiplayer with my little brother, as part of the Hautevilles. I crown myself king of Sicily. And place him on the throne of Italy.

Better yet, more ppl joining in a Sicilian MP, and then setting each of us up as kings of Crusader Kingdoms
    ~My old signature took up too much space, so I made this one.

~P.S: You're wonderful.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4