• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Perhaps there should be an event, where the Pope offers the crown of a kingdom or at least a claim on the crown and royal demesne, on his conditions, so at least in CK1 terms the religious law is set on church supremacy for a much longer time than normal. Obviously that kingdom and the papacy should have problems; but another reason is proximity, the Papal States and the kingdom of Sicily later Naples were neighbors, so the conflict also had a political component.

This may be an interesting solution.

Is this confirmed? I'd love that. All the fun of character role-playing without the consequences!

No, AFAIK the statement is incorrect. This is what Doomdark said

Originally Posted by Doomdark
Will we choose characters at the beginning, or hasn't this been decided yet?
You will choose to play one of the landed nobles that existed at the start date you pick, and go from there

Intrigue. Characters forming alliances and stabbing each other in the back in order to move a step up the ladder. And of course I'm looking forward to getting back to the feudalism side of things. Just being a sovereign who has to manage vassals and is trying to gain more titles for himself. I'm also really looking forward to the (hopefully) inevitable Muslim expansion.

Just a question, will there be an official converter from CKII to EUIII?

This is probably one of the most consistently requested features for every game you guys release, so why is it never implemented?
I'm not trying to be snarky - i'm genuinely curious if there's some significant technical hurdle or whatever.

It can be hard to make a good converter that works properly and, well, let's put it simple; we prefer to use the development time we get to make the game a good game, so a converter is not really prioritized as it does not make the game any better, just longer. This is mostly my opinion though.

Last edited:
About savegame converters, there are a few reasons.
1. its one of those features that sounds great but doesnt end up as great in practice. So much data has to be "made up" between games (for example all pop data if converting to V2, or no germany in hoi3) and often the player goes on conquering sprees which leave the map less interesting to continue playing with.
2. If we do an official converter it would have to have a high quality level which would be a pretty big undertaking
3. all the data thats needed for converting is in plain text so its something very well suited for modders to make a tool for.
4. I'm not convinced enough people would actually use the feature for it to be worth the effort to make an official one. There are fan made converters for a few games, do a lot of people use them?

It can be hard to make a good converter that works properly and, well, let's put it simple; we prefer to use the development time we get to make the game a good game, so a converter is not really prioritized as it does not make the game any better, just longer. This is mostly my opinion though.

I think this is very good decision. I tried to convert only a handful of games, but it always generated very strange results and the imported game was no fun.

This is probably one of the most consistently requested features for every game you guys release, so why is it never implemented?
I'm not trying to be snarky - i'm genuinely curious if there's some significant technical hurdle or whatever.

Paradox have made two converters : one for CK->EU2 and another for V:R -> HOI2DDA.
The fan community have made lots of converters for each paradox games and their converters were really better than the official ones.

So I really prefers that Paradox works on game features and that the fan community make good converters.

The short answer is this:
Paradox converters have (historically) sucked. And not sucked a little, sucked a lot. OTOH the converters random dudes make on the forum are typically pretty good.

The long answer is that making a good converter is very, very hard. For example there are a lot more countries in CK then EU. Ireland, for example, almost always has a dozen or so Counts and Dukes. But in EU2 there're only 4 Irish provinces. What do you do if the English have created the Irish King-title, but have no desmene provinces in Ireland, the Anglo-Irish Kingdom has collapsed due to having an incredibly crappy ruler, there are 5 Irish Duke-level characters, but the only guy with a multi-county realm is the independent Count of Dublin and Ulster?

If you're some guy practicing his Java you can get away with saying the four Dukes of provinces that appear in EU2 are the only ones who get to keep playing, and England (which is now unified because there's no tag for the Count of Essex in EU2) gets cores on the whole damn island. If you're Johan people demand miracles.

It only gets worse when people mod the hell out of their games, and think it's perfectly reasonable to ask Paradox's programmers to spend a day a week keeping the converter up-to-date with the latest mods.

This is actually the reason converters made by random guys tend to be pretty good. They don't have to bother thinking of miracles, and if they didn't have lots of free programming time they wouldn't have made the converter in the first place. They can generally either keep up with mods, or help the people who use mods convert their games.

Nick

everything! but mostly everything going terribly badly
and the new intrigue and relationships stuff sound like they will make things going badly absolutely BRILLIANT

To actually see the mongols hit (not sure why, but I always gave up on my games before they made their entrance) maybe this game will keep me hooked long enough

To play it multiplayer with my little brother, as part of the Hautevilles. I crown myself king of Sicily. And place him on the throne of Italy.

Better yet, more ppl joining in a Sicilian MP, and then setting each of us up as kings of Crusader Kingdoms