• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

thebigj_a

Lt. General
20 Badges
Apr 2, 2010
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Crusader Kings II
  • March of the Eagles
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Pride of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
I'm playing as Belgium, and I'm thinking of going to war with the Netherlands, only I can't. The box is grayed out, and it says I can't DoW the sphere leader. Netherlands is a secondary power, they don't have a sphere. I'm not in anyone's sphere, so I don't have a "sphere leader". Netherlands isn't in anyone's sphere either.

I clicked around, and found a few other countries I couldn't DoW with the same pop-up, such as Prussia. Again, I'm not in their sphere, or any sphere. The only common factor I can see is that the Netherlands, Prussia, and I are all allied with GB (but not with each other). If there's some kind of mechanic where you can't DoW allies of your allies, that's fine (though I'd find that both stifling and unrealistic), but the pop-up shouldn't say anything about SOI.

I'm still figuring the game out, so perhaps there's a mechanic I'm missing or something. What gives?

I'm playing as Belgium, and I'm thinking of going to war with the Netherlands, only I can't. The box is grayed out, and it says I can't DoW the sphere leader. Netherlands is a secondary power, they don't have a sphere. I'm not in anyone's sphere, so I don't have a "sphere leader". Netherlands isn't in anyone's sphere either.

I clicked around, and found a few other countries I couldn't DoW with the same pop-up, such as Prussia. Again, I'm not in their sphere, or any sphere. The only common factor I can see is that the Netherlands, Prussia, and I are all allied with GB (but not with each other). If there's some kind of mechanic where you can't DoW allies of your allies, that's fine (though I'd find that both stifling and unrealistic), but the pop-up shouldn't say anything about SOI.

I'm still figuring the game out, so perhaps there's a mechanic I'm missing or something. What gives?

You can't attack someone who is in the same sphere as you. Chances are the UK is the sphere leader and managed to grab you, Belgium, and Prussia somehow.

This sounds more like a bug - I would post it in the bug forum

Perhaps the Netherlands were a GP just before and you were in their sphere, but the game hasn't fully recognized the loss of GP-state of the Netherlands? Just an idea.

The game does prevent you declaring war on people who share a common sphere. So if you and the Dutch were say in Prussia's sphere, none of you would be able to DoW either of the others.

Though, since it sounds like you arn't in a sphere, this sounds like a bug. You tried saving and reloading to see if this persists?

Now I'm confused. Right before I saved and reloaded, I double checked to make sure neither I nor the Netherlands were in a SOI (it's only 2 years in, the Dutch have never been a GP). We weren't. But, when I saved and reloaded, it showed me as being in England's sphere. So apparently England got me into their sphere, but the game never told me, and it wasn't showing up on the diplomacy screen.

Now that it is, I still don't understand why I can't DoW the Dutch. They aren't in a sphere. If you are in a sphere, are you not allowed to DoW the sphere leader's allies?

If that's so, I guess it makes sense. But I still want to know how I ended up in a SOI without being informed, and without it showing on the diplo tab.

So, how do I get out of a sphere, short of becoming a GP myself? And if that is the only way, what's the quickest way to make Belgium a GP? I;ve conquered Tunisia, but if I'm in a position where the Dutch can DOW me, but not I them, I can't afford to send my army off a'conquering.