• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Derahan

Ever doubtful
27 Badges
Oct 30, 2009
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • 500k Club
  • 200k Club
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Rome Gold
  • March of the Eagles
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Rise of Prussia
  • Pride of Nations
  • East India Company
  • Sword of the Stars
Workers of the World, UNITE! - The History of the CCP 1869-1935

2cokmfa.jpg

So, this will be my second AAR, after my first one failed after corrupted save file. I have already played a bit into the game, and it is 1870 now and I have gotten the first communists in my upper house. This game gave me the idea of writing an AAR about the class struggle of the CCP (Chinas Communist Party) through victoria 2, 1870-1935 and maybe a little longer.

Any comments on my grammar are welcome, grammar Nazis; please don’t go hyper over my grammatical errors. I hope the people that read this will hopefully like it and continue to read it.

Further information I am using the VRRP mod, the newest version of it that hangs around on the mod forum. I also hope to join the AAR contest that is around.
Notice: I will not use many pictures and there won’t be many map pictures, as I am not good at restyling them. Anyone who wants to contribute whit anything is welcome to do it and I will take it into consideration.

this will mainly be a Narritive AAR, but there will be some History-book style to

Table of Content

Pre CCP timeline 1821-
Chapter one: History of Manchu China 1821-1869, The pre- Industrilised and Early Industrilised ages, Pre- CCP
Chapter Two: Escape from Xian
Chapter Three: Destination Kunming
Chapter Four: Brink of Civil war and the Murder of Minister Zhu, September 1869-December 1869
Chapter Five: Blood and Bullets
Chapter Six: First steps to become a Revolutionary

Last edited:
Chapter one: The History of Manchu China 1821-1869, The pre- industrilised and Early Industrilised ages, Pre- CCP

This story begins in 1821, at the acceding of to the throne of the middle kingdom by Wuchan Tuchian (1816-1869) after the death of his former father. He ascended to the throne after somewhat instability in the empire following the foreigners arrival to the middle kingdom. His reign would be the most important in Chinese history, and would effect the whole world.

2en2la0.jpg
Emperor Wuchan Tuchian

From 1821-1836, china made little progress and didn’t not do any advances in any fields of reformation, technology, living conditions or political modernisation this can be explained by that Wuchan ascended the throne at the age of 5. The years 1823-1829 a great famine struck china and around 10-20 million people were later estimated to have died from starvation and diseases. One of the Chinese poets of the time wrote:

‘’The emperor, son of the sun, could do very little to help the starving population due to his tender age. His eunuchs and ministers controlled the empire and cared little of the regular farmer. Thus, the people of the middle kingdom should revolt, kill the eunuchs and ministers and reinstate the emperor to power. Because the emperor is divine and the heavens have granted him the right to rule, not the people around him.’’ – Unknown Chinese Poet.

After this was written around 1824, a wave of Chinese nationalism struck every area of the Chinese society, except the nobility and the government. In 1828, the people of Shanghai, Chengdu, Xian, Nanjing, Canton, and Guangzhou revolted and created small states of their own. The government, still ruled by eunuchs sent in the army, and reestablished control over the cities, around 33,234 people were estimated to have died during the retaking of the army and many rebellion leaders were executed. And as quickly as the Chinese Nationalism had been formed, it disappeared at the same speed. Even though it might seem that it had been wiped away, the nationalism still remained in some people and it would later prove that it had not been beaten yet.

wi23qx.jpg
The execution of a Rebel Officer

1831, Wuchan became 15 years old and he assumed the position as emperor. He began with disposing the old eunuch rulers and assumes total control over the empire. The rest of the time, up to 1836 is a period of peace, and life went on as usual In the Chinese Empire.

In 1836, the situation changed, Wuchan had finally removed the last opposition against him and he declared a series of reforms for his empire. First of all, the army was reorganized and became a professional army, purging the former officers that were complete idiots and increasing the restrictions of what was allowed in the army.
In 1838, a second reform came. The administrative system was to be reorganized and people did have to do constant reports on how they spent their money, the exception were if they were to trade whit foreigners, which had to be reported at all times or a severe punishment were to be expected. The same time, a Russian who had settled down in Beijing, were killed in his house. The Russians demanded that they should be allowed to investigate the murder and the murderer to be trailed before a Russian court.

Of course the Chinese refused and the Russians declared war and invaded Mongolia. After a bloody war and bloody battles, a status quo was signed and each side licked their wounds.

Four years later 1842, the Russians came back, now demanding that Mongolia to be in cooperated into the Russian empire. But after heavy Chinese resistance, the Russian would eventually kicked out of china and back into Siberia. After this, there were no more wars from Russia. The last battle was near Aigun in Manchuria, if they russians had broken through, they could have occupied china, but General Dong Shaanxi and his 23,000 men held of the russian army of 60,000 soldiers and won the war for China.

e6yjv8.jpg
General Dong Shaanxi, the hero of China

The period of 1842-1850 was a period whit peace, minor border wars whit Korea, luang and dai nam. The Chinese population grew from 107m-122 million during these years, making it the fastest population growth on the planet. More westerners settled in china, and the middle kingdom was gradually opening itself. Even employing Europeans at the court as ministers. In 1850, the first factory opened up in Beijing and from there on the growth would be stunning.

During these years, the liberals of China, came to power and enact several political reforms, all could vote whit the same equality was just one of them. The army expanded from 200,000 to around 500,000 men and the Chinese government strengthened its administration of the empire. They began building railroads to, whit investments from Europe.

1850-1869, early industrialization and the rise of the Dragon

The period is often called by Chinese thinkers as ‘’the rise of the Dragon’’, as to mark when china rose from a period of backwardness and began looking forward for its rightful place in the world, as the middle kingdom, center of humanity.
During this period, the Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery was modernized and china’s army of 500,000 rose to nearly 750,000 standing soldiers and whit the new railroads, ca 2-4 million men could be mobilized to protect china.

Eventually the Chinese industry boomed and during these years, it grew more than 3000%, enough to make it the world’s largest industry and made China the economy beast of the world.

During this period, the liberals intensified the power and gave the capitalist more power. It was during this era that ‘’the communist manifesto’’ and ‘’Das Kapital’’ found its way to china, and soon the thoughts of a communist, classless utopia began to grew, and this is where this story will begin, on the streets of Xian, in 1869.

Last edited:
Very interesting start.

I'm curious on how your 23,000 man army was able to defeat a 60,000 man Russian army? How good was your general? Bravo, indeed!

Always good to see an interesting AAR around.

Thank you :)

Very interesting start.

I'm curious on how your 23,000 man army was able to defeat a 60,000 man Russian army? How good was your general? Bravo, indeed!

well, the fact is that i was a guard only army, and i had four of all basic military tech (except the cavalry one) and the russian army was very, very, low on supplies so they fell very quickly, plus it was a mountain province so i had extrra defense, and yes my general was very good, the best one i had so far.

thank you for reading :)

Chapter two:Escape from Xian

Zhan Liang was walking down the main road in Xian, the skies were blue and the sun stood high. Xian was one of few cities who weren’t affected by the industrialization so the people were happy and healthy. He walked past shop, after shop, after shop but didn’t look at any of them. He was heading for the ‘’four feathers’’ restaurant, where he was supposed to have a cup of tea with his two closest friends, Dayang Yuan, Leng Ching. The three of them had been friends since child birth and they met regularly at the four feathers. After a ten minutes walk on the road, he came to the restaurant where his two friends were already waiting.

‘’You look very disturbed.’’ Zhan said when he sat down by the table his friends had reserved.

His friends looked at each other. ‘’This might be the last time we see each other Zhan.’’ Dayang said. ‘’I have to flee from Xian.’’

Zhan almost chocked from his tea when he heard this. ‘’Why would you flee from Xian?’’ Zhan asked.

‘’The police is saying that they found evidence, that I murdered the minister they found dead three days ago. But I didn’t not do it, someone is trying to frame me for murder.’’ Zhan said.

‘’I have made an agreement with a friend, he will sneak you out tonight and take you to Kunming in the Yunnan region.’’ Leng said.

‘’But what about you two?’’ Dayang said whit a low voice.

‘’Don’t worry my friend, I will meet up with you in Kunming on a later date. And for Zhan, I don’t think he is in trouble, as the police don’t have any real evidence against him.’’

‘’I will stay here and report to you, when you two can return to Xian, when things have settled.’’ Zhan said.

The three friends nodded and did a handshake on it, then they left in three separate ways. People were beginning to flood the streets as night came closer, shops closed, police present increased and Zhan walked back home. On his way, he bumped into a European outside a book shop.

‘’My bad.’’ The European said and walked on.

What a strange man, Zhan tough and continued on home. Unknowingly, the European he had bumped into, was later to be one of the founding members of the CCP.
-Bild sing- Last known photo of Dayang with his mother.

The next day, Zhan woke up calmly, the birds sang, the sun stood high and the sky was as blue as yesterday. He rose from his bead, dressed in a traditional Chinese dress and ate some breakfast.

When he left his house and came out on the streets, policemen were running everywhere. And before he knew it, he had been arrested by the police and he was taken to the police headquarters in the center of the city. And he was forced into a interrogation room, sitting on one side of the table was a police, and on the other side Zhan.

‘’Where did your friend Dayang flee?’’ the police asked.

‘’I don’t know what you are talking about!’’ Zhan defended himself with.

‘’Oh I know you do, an eye witness saw you talk with Dayang yesterday, and a third person.’’ The policeman said.

‘’If you think I am going to betray my friends, you are very wrong, I won’t say a thing.’’ Zhan said.

‘’Don’t think you can keep your friends safe, we will get that information out of you one way or another. ‘’ The police said. ‘’Take him to his cell!’’

Zhan was led, to a small, 2mx5m big cell, with only a bed, a small table, not even a window. He was thrown into the cell and he hit his face on the ground. The policemen close the door, locked it and laughed as they walked away. Zhan sat down on the bed in the small cell, thinking of his future. Would they torture him or something worse, execution? He didn’t know.

dzufz8.jpg
The entrance to the police headquaters in Xian, abandoned in 1902

When night swallowed up the city, Zhan walked forth to the door to his cell and began to get the attention of the prison guard.

‘’Guard! Give me some food! This is inhumane!’’ Zhan yelled.

The guard rose up and walked up to Zhan’s cell. ‘’You are hiding a murderer, you get no food until you tell where he is!’’ the guard replied.

Zhan spitted him in the face. The guard got angry and locked up the door and entered the cell. He pushed up Zhan to the wall to the right of the door.

‘’Who do you think…’’ was all the guard said before an explosion tore apart Zhan’s cell. The Guard died immediately, but Zhan survived as the guard was between him and the explosion. A man rushed in into the cell and grabbed Zhan’s arm.

‘’Get up Zhan!’’ Leng yelled. ‘’We’re getting out of the city!’’

Zhan didn’t have time to reply and they both began to run towards the city gate. But the police were on their heels quickly and as they got closer to the city gate, they saw that it was closed. Without hesitation they ran up on the city walls and jumped over them onto a tree that stood close to the wall and they disappeared into the night. The police didn’t pursue them, , for they would never had found them in the dark, they thought that the two men would have to return to Xian some day, and then they would get their revenge.

vema2p.jpg
Photo of Zhan, age 22.

So this concludes chapter two, i am not very good at writing this but i wanted to give it a shot, any comments or critics are welcommed.

I liked the update! Though, I'm pretty sure back than they wouldn't have said, "My bad." when bumping into someone. :p It was very interesting and I'm looking forward to the third chapter. Well done.

I liked the update! Though, I'm pretty sure back than they wouldn't have said, "My bad." when bumping into someone. :p It was very interesting and I'm looking forward to the third chapter. Well done.

Thanks! and yes, but you know, a lonley european in the middle of china, would atleast be a little polite, next chapter will be up tomorrow or the day after tomorrow.

Chapter Three: Destination Kunming

The jungle was dense, trees stood close, roots where everywhere along with too big bushes. It felt like an eternity, before Zhan and Leng reached the small river they were looking for. Leng fell right forward when they reached the river and Zhan almost fell forward to, but he leaned on his legs and breathed heavily.

‘’Finally, the river!’’ Zhan said.

‘’Y…yes.’’ Leng replied while trying to get up.

‘’I’ll help you.’’ Zhan said and grabbed Leng’s army and dragged him up on his feet. ‘’Now we just have to wait for a ship, right?’’ Zhan asked.

Leng nodded and pointed up the river. ‘’There is a small shadow upstream, it is probably a boat, and I have enough money to take us down to Kunming.’’ Leng said and pointed to one of his pockets.

‘’Good, it’s a long way to Kunming, and I want to arrive before the end of December.’’ Zhan said.

‘’Don’t worry my friend, we will get there in time.’’ Leng said.

A couple of hours later, the ship arrived to the spot where Leng and Zhan had set up a little camp. After a short discussion, the ship’s captain decided to take them along to Kunming.

A few days later, the boat still made its way down the river and the two friends sat down at the tip of the ship. Leng meditated and Zhan almost slept. The sky were clear, the sun not to bright, just a tiny wind and the birds sang a song.

‘’this is life my friend.’’ Zhan said slowly.

‘’Enjoy it while you can, when we get to Kunming, things is bound to get more hectic.’’ Leng replied.

‘’You always know how to break good moments.’’ Zhan said.

‘’When will we get to Kunming?!’’ Leng yelled to the captain of the boat.

‘’We will be in Kunming tomorrow!’’ The captain yelled back.

Zhan began to sleep and Leng continued his meditation as the ship got closer to Kunming…

2ngy3wx.jpg

The ship that took Zhan and Leng from Xian to Kunming.

The boat arrived at Kunming late on the afternoon the day after. Most of the harbor was in wrecks, most of the piers were broken, and ship wrecks on the shores, and many people were working on clearing the shores and repairing the harbor. Zhan and Leng walked forth to a man who seemed to lead the work around the harbor.

‘’What happened here?’’ Zhan asked.

The man in a black traditional Chinese suit turned around. ‘’A tidal wave destroyed most of the harbor and the ships two weeks ago, and the government didn’t send any help so it took me these two weeks to organize the work. ‘’ the man said.

Leng stepped forward. ‘’Do you know where we can find the golden clam?’’ he asked the man.

‘’Just follow the main road behind me and turn right just before the library, and then you will see a sign which says: The golden clam.’’ He replied.

34eowmh.jpg

The destoryed harbor of Kunming

Zhan and Leng thanked for the information and made their way up the people packed Main Street before they turned right before the library and into an almost empty side street. They entered the Golden clam, which laid around 200 meters from the main street. Leng walked forth to the Innkeeper.

‘’I came here to see my friend Dayang.’’ He whispered.

The innkeeper nodded and opened a box, took forth a key and handed it over to Leng.
‘’Fourth room to the left.’’ He said and turned around to clean some glass.

Leng took the key and signed for Zhan to follow him up. They walked up an old stair that creaked a lot. When they got to the fourth room to the left, they used the key and unlocked the door and there, by a table sat Dayang and read a book. He rose up and greeted his friends, inviting them into the room and they sat down to talk.

‘’How come you are here so early?’’ Dayang asked.

‘’The police took Zhan, so I had to break him free and flee with him here.’’ Leng said.
‘’To bad, I hate to be such a pain in the ass.’’ Dayang said.

‘’Don’t worry about it, at least we are here together.’’ Zhan said.

‘’Any way, please tell me how you got here.’’ Dayang asked, Zhan and Leng began telling the story…

2elqnir.jpg

Picture of Leng at the age of 24