King Arthur - Rightheous Christian Very Hard Playthrough

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
27.jpg

kay.jpg
Looks like I can finally play Dragon Age 2.

gar.jpg
What are you talking about?

mark.jpg
If you're done breaking the fourth wall, can we start planning our defense of Camelot?

kay.jpg
I...very well. Our royal guards will be of no use. A shame, really. They are too slow and would be easy picking to their archers. We have almost zero ranged firepower. I only have your magic to rely upon, Sir Gareth.

gar.jpg
You can count on me.

kay.jpg
Make it count.

aly.jpg
My knights are mostly intact, as well as Sir Mark's. The giants are willing to fight to the death.

kay.jpg
Aye. Four Welsh generals will lead them in battle. I will count on you both to provide the major punch in the battle. I fear I cannot do much in this battle but plot our army's movements. I'm certain they will use their superior numbers to secure control of the city, which will lower our morale. Try to not let this happen.

mark.jpg
I'll try my best.

kay.jpg
Ride fast. It is very likely that you will meet their sole riders in one of the points in the city. If so, send them to hell and charge at their archers. The rest will have to wait according to how the battle goes.

gar.jpg
God bless.

kay.jpg
Let's go. We've got heathens to slay and a kingdom to save.

00.jpg

The battle has begun. As planned, Sir Alymere and Sir Mark will lead a cavalry charge down the western victory point. The eastern victory point will be the giant's responsibility. Unfortunately, the enemy riders made it first and have successfully capped our western VP.

01.jpg

kay.jpg
Here they come...Gareth! Now!

02.jpg

kay.jpg
Excellent! I see our flag rising on the west. Sir Mark did it!

03.jpg

aly.jpg
I wonder how the giants are doing on the eastern VP...

04.jpg

kay.jpg
Giants aren't that fast...but they made it there first to the VP. They'll be more than a match for that Welsh infantry! Signal our riders to begin their charge!

05.jpg

mark.jpg
The signal! MEN, FORM THE WEDGE!

06.jpg

aly.jpg
Breakthrough! We've got to make it!

kay.jpg
Gareth! AGAIN!

07.jpg

gar.jpg
Blast, those Welsh archers are resistant to magic...and their heroes aren't helping...

08.jpg

kay.jpg
It's up to them now...I CALL UPON THE FOG OF AVALON! Protect our allies from the arrows!

09.jpg

aly.jpg
The fog! Let's go!

The enemy activates Dragon's Eye and Double Rain of Arrows....the fog is basically....useless.

10.jpg

aly.jpg
DO NOT FALTER!

11.jpg

kay.jpg
They did it!

The Welsh infantry is not a heavy infantry and broke under the charge. Dozens of them perished in the charge.

kay.jpg
Just a little more...I think we've got this!

12.jpg

The fighting continued under the fog. With the whole city under the defender's control, the attackers began to tire. The riders' charge took the wind out of their offensive.

13.jpg

The giants, losing one of their number only, slammed its giant club into another welsh attacker, sending the poor fool flying. They retreated.

14.jpg

gar.jpg
Well done, Commander.

kay.jpg
Heh.

15.jpg

The defenders of Camelot have pulled a stunning victory, wiping out at least five Welsh army within less than two years, but they're still back to where they started. And the province of West Mercia rebelled, the kingdom looks fragile.

16.jpg

The clock is still ticking.

kay.jpg
We're ready to negotiate.

aly.jpg
We shouldn't deal with these heretics!

mark.jpg
Sir Alymere, the Commander and I has discussed this matter and our army is not strong enough to settle everything with brute force.

gar.jpg
We shouldn't gift them directly, perhaps donate a construction fund to build a church, and convert more to our one true God.

kay.jpg
Exactly. Summon the baron, this should appease them for a while.

01.jpg

aly.jpg
We've fully reinforced all our standing army, no message from King Arthur as of yet from the south. Shall we stay in Camelot or attack?

kay.jpg
What a foolish question. Onwards!

02.jpg

We must cut them down before they get stronger. Our surviving army is becoming more and more experienced. Replacing them is going to cost us dearly.

03.jpg

The opponents start at a much more advantageous terrain. They will get their VPs first, but that's no big advantage. There's no way they're going to beat us with VP domination.

04.jpg

We quickly set up position. There wasn't enough time to get our archers to cover. They will have to exchange fire on the plains. But the Welsh army is mistaken if I will play this battle fairly.

05.jpg

All of our melee forces will charge onward under the cover of the magical Fog. A Victory point actually grants the Storms of Avalon, but I decided not to use it. The Storm slows down the troop marching speed as well. Not what we need.

06.jpg

At the same time, Dragon's Eye is activated to rain arrows from range. Curse of Shadows were thrown. It's nice to fight in the open once more.

07.jpg

Did I mention I don't intend to play fair? One archer held by a spell, another decimated by Curse as arrows continued to pour down from the sky. This is for Camelot!

08.jpg

The Fog clears and we're almost finished with the lot.

09.jpg

It's good to be back on the offensive.

10.jpg

11.jpg

Winter is soon to fall. Best to replenish the losses and recruit another cavalry unit. Saxon Riders will fill the gap left behind by the dead Cavalry.

kay.jpg
Any news from Arthur?

aly.jpg
I'm afraid not. We've received no instructions since he escaped from Camelot during the Welsh invasion.

kay.jpg
I'm sure he has a plan. For now, we must work on our own.

gar.jpg
Commander, I've terrible news!

mark.jpg
Is it the King?

gar.jpg
Nay, tis' terrible!

12.jpg

kay.jpg
It is as I have feared. *unrolls a map*

13.jpg

kay.jpg
West Mercia is under rebel control at the moment, and if this letter is true, then the Saxon King is isolated on the eastern coast of Britain. We cannot render aid.

mark.jpg
Are we not obligated to help? Our alliance...

kay.jpg
Is worthless at the moment. They've not supplied anything of value for years. We've been fighting for our own crusades. Their bishops plot and demand for our cooperation and what do we get? A rebelling province, a near catastrophic defeat and their constant demand for Jesus Christ to save themselves. We are on our own, brothers. God only helps those who help themselves.

aly.jpg
Wise words. What then, Commander?

kay.jpg
Train for the winter. Keep the faith alive. Our King knows everything and he has a plan for us. Saxon can wait.

14.jpg
15.jpg

Sir Alymere improves his mighty blow to rank 2. Sir Gareth enhances his Ward.

16.jpg

Our giants have reached the pinnacle of veteran status. Rank 10. Balor Strike. A fearsome special ability that lowers their overall damage but spreads it in wider area, devastating.

The snow has melted. And the army of Camelot gathers once more.

17.jpg

18.jpg

The Saxons are doomed to fall as the Wales Crusades continues.

01.jpg

This map can get messy, but I decide to just rush for the 3 VPs. Starting from the two center points. The southern one, I shall sent a lone unit to capture it.

02.jpg

Curse of Shadow opener to soften their archers.

03.jpg

The enemy pulls a lone cavalry to capture the eastern-most VP. We can't intercept. Their archers are too many and are hidden in the forest.

04.jpg

We advance under cover of the Fog.

05.jpg

The enemy caster has Dragon's Breath. We're pretty much forced to swallow it. Instant deaths to our expensive cavalry.

06.jpg

Their archers advanced too close. Perfect for our melee charge.

07.jpg

Or not. Double Dragon's Breath. Dragon's Eye. Cloud of Arrows....FUUuuuuuU~~~

08.jpg

In a fit of rage, I held one of their unit with magic and smacked them with a Curse of Shadow on top of it.

09.jpg

What's this? OUTMATCHED IN MELEE? FLEE!

10.jpg

Thanks to the VP majority, I'm still ahead, but our main cavalry is taking a severe beating from the Cleaves and rapid Dragon's Breath. Never underestimate Welsh wizards.

11.jpg

Starting to feel frustrated cause the Royal Guards AREN"T DOING ANYTHING. They're too slow and ineffective in the forest march. GRRR.

12.jpg

I finally nailed the cleaving bastard with a hold spell and proceed to murder him.

13.jpg

The numbers are flattering to us. But the casualty was mostly our expensive cavalry.

14.jpg

Another minor setback as we return to Camelot to replenish our forces.

kay.jpg
Report, Sir Alymere.

aly.jpg
It'll take at least half a year to restore our strength. I think our offensive for this year is over.

kay.jpg
That is alright. I doubt Wales has enough forces to mount another offensive. They are barely holding on to their defenses.

gar.jpg
Not for long...

kay.jpg
Sir Mark, reports from the East?

15.jpg

mark.jpg
The Rebel Province of Murcia has no commanding officers to worry us. They are content with just plundering the countryside. We can bypass them if we want to assist the Saxons.

aly.jpg
King Raedwald has given direct command of his last province to us, Commander. Perhaps we should..

kay.jpg
No. It is too late.

16.jpg

kay.jpg
The great Saxon Kingdom is no more. We stand alone. Now let's move on towards....

Sir Kay paused as his gaze turned towards the window. His expression turned grim. Dark clouds gather over southwestern Britannia.

17.jpg

mark.jpg
What in the world?

18.jpg

19.jpg

aly.jpg
There's a dark cloud! Over Viroconium?!

20.jpg

gar.jpg
It can't be.

kay.jpg
Samhain.

01.jpg

kay.jpg
Halt.
aly.jpg
This is all they had?
mark.jpg
We've met nothing but token resistance, it seems our counter-offensive has trimmed their numbers severely.
gar.jpg
No doubt their provinces are drained of manpower after the slaughter we gave them.
kay.jpg
Our food supply is running low, let's do something about it during the winter.
02.jpg

mark.jpg
What about the ghost army?
kay.jpg
There's nothing we can do without the Grail.
03.jpg

gar.jpg
The Lady of the Lake may know more.
04.jpg

kay.jpg
I suppose. Best we settle our battle against Wales before we do so. These ghost armies will soon ravage our bordering eastern provinces. We need all the resources we can get.
08.jpg

mark.jpg
What of the King?
kay.jpg
He will return to Camelot. Soon.

06.jpg

09.jpg

bal.jpg
Milord, a rider approaches.
king.jpg
He seems to be in danger, assist him, Sir Balan.
bal.jpg
Archers, fire!
10.jpg

11.jpg

king.jpg
Sir Balan, what do you know of this Green Knight?
bal.jpg
Very little. I've thought of him as a myth of the Old Faith.
12.jpg

bal.jpg
How did Sir Tristan get captured?
13.jpg

king.jpg
Your master risked his life for a lady?
14.jpg

king.jpg
Sir Balan, do what you can to assist Sir Tristan.
15.jpg

bal.jpg
I could attack, but perhaps this Green Knight can be talked down. If all else fails, my blade will speak.
16.jpg

17.jpg

bal.jpg
Interesting. What is the challenge?
18.jpg

bal.jpg
Very well.
19.jpg

20.jpg

bal.jpg
By the gods.
21.jpg

bal.jpg
Tis' not good...
22.jpg

23.jpg

bal.jpg
My King's name and honor is at stake. I will not yield to cowardice.
24.jpg

bal.jpg
.....Bless you.

25.jpg

Sir Tristan comes attached with Sangreal Knight unit. The best of the best in Christian Cavalry.

26.jpg

Sir Tristan unfortunately comes with poor skill picks. Mana burn is terrible for this difficulty. A shame really, since his general class skill is decent pick.

27.jpg

So many ladies, but none of them are right for my knights.

king.jpg
Finally, we've met.
kay.jpg
Your Majesty. Are these..?
28.jpg

king.jpg
We've heard of the news. Take these Saxon Knights and Sangreal Knights under your care. Godspeed, Commander. Finish the fight.
aly.jpg
Oh, you can count on that.

I've switched over our primary offense option to mounted knights. Archers are just going to get raped by the spells and this option might be the most expensive, but I see no other way to survive the ridiculous spells that old faith armies pack. And you wondered why I took so long to update, it's because I experimented with different setups.

Look forward to incoming mounted assault on the next update.
00.jpg

01.jpg

Sir Gawain was after Lady Iseult. We had helped his rival, Sir Tristan instead. Thankfully, his presence is confined to the province of East Mercia, which is under rebel control at the moment.

kay.jpg
We've been through the worst. You've all survived with me. There's no doubt this is destined by the Lord Himself. Let the miracle of Camelot be our war cry as we march together into the Stronghold of Wales once more!
mark.jpg
Commander,I've something to share with you.
02.jpg

kay.jpg
Stupendous. You are now a Dragon.
aly.jpg
*chuckles* To arms!
03.jpg

04.jpg

The fools cower inside their Stronghold. This will be their grave.

05.jpg

"I saw heaven standing open and there before me was a white horse, whose rider is called Faithful and True. With justice he judges and makes war." - Revelations 19:11

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

We split up the light cavalry to capture VP, the mounted knights will collide head on.

10.jpg

More spell barrage to lower their archer effectiveness.

11.jpg

Time to put the fear of God into these heathens!

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

They enveloped our column in a curse, but we pressed on with God's strength.

18.jpg

They will not stop us.

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

After years of bloody wars, the strength of Wales is finally broken. Two provinces remain, but none doubt the true outcome. The Stronghold will not change hands any more.

Good progress against Wales - soon time to turn to the East and clean up those provinces or do you have an event chain to follow?

Also got to laugh at the 'Ye Olde Pole Dancer' look the ladies of the court have going on.

Camelot's finest continues their rampage into Wales territory. Only two last provinces remained.

01.jpg

Lots of archers, but our finest mounted cavalry will blaze ahead with no fear.

02.jpg

This map is heavily forested. It's all about speed to secure the 2 VP.

03.jpg

A lone cavalry will dash ahead to capture the faraway VP, while the rest of the army march on to make a fight of the other.

04.jpg

Their archers make nice targets for Curse of Shadows as well.

05.jpg

Let's sweep them.

06.jpg

Normally this would be really bad for the mounted units if there are spearmen in the forests.

07.jpg

Our archers soak up a few curses. No worries. They're no longer the backbone of the army.

08.jpg

The enemy scatter their units around as our knights wreak havoc.

09.jpg

We'll make a grab for their lone VP to the south while we press on.

10.jpg

The casualties are pretty moderate on our side. Cavalry got hit a few times and archers dying to curses, but the mounted knights are at full strength.

11.jpg

Too strong.

12.jpg

13.jpg

This is when I decide to just go for broke. More mounted knights please!

14.jpg

6 Mounted, 1 giant and 4 archers. Any more and we wouldn't have any ranged fire power.

Curious about something - you mention that Legodrance (sp?) has an odd/nonsensical trait combo, that manaburn isn't useful on your difficulty, all while enemy casters are the units that seem to be giving you the most difficulty.

Is there a reason why you don't use the Enfeeble --> Burning Magic combo to instantly kill enemy heroes? Particulary since Legodrance starts with this combo out of the box (he's one of my favorite heroes for this reason).

When I began the war with Wales in my last game I stop playing because enemy was insanely better in numbers than me (I had a better quality army, but they finally felt over the hordes of enemies). But now I'm inspired to try again... I was doing the same way as you, Christian/Rightful, and I'll try again that way.

Wow, how unfortunate that this is incomplete. One of the more captivating AARs I've read, plus I'd never even heard of this game but now I own it. Though I think I will go Tyrant Wizard King instead.

Great read - thanks for what you did get done, read every damn word which is rare in any thread but especially an AAR!

Gah, why did you do the "Old Faith" way in Breaking the Curse on a Christian playhthrough, why?

For the life of me I can't figure out how to get Christian points out of it, I always get OF points. And as it happens, in your previous playthrough in the Codex you SKIPPED this quest, when I sought it out (because you said you did it the Christian way the last time around - in your OF playthrough!)....
Perfect. Just my luck.

Gah, why did you do the "Old Faith" way in Breaking the Curse on a Christian playhthrough, why?

For the life of me I can't figure out how to get Christian points out of it, I always get OF points. And as it happens, in your previous playthrough in the Codex you SKIPPED this quest, when I sought it out (because you said you did it the Christian way the last time around - in your OF playthrough!)....
Perfect. Just my luck.

There is no way to get Christian points in "Breaking the Curse" because BtC is the Old Faith path for the Cursed Sword Questline. The Christian alternative is called "Cleansing Faith." However, it's located next to the Cursed Manor location in Kent, and since rk47 targeted Viriconium, he presumably went with BtC for simplicity's sake.