• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter 4: No surrender, my fellow Dutchmen!

scan2105_lm_003.jpg

The winter months of 1941
At the beginning of 1941, the situation for Winkelman and the Dutch people looked grim. The Netherlands were surrounded, being the last allied power on the continent. During 1940 this country and it's people had become an example of the epic struggle against fascism. However, Winkelman was sad. He knew it would be a very long time until the Dutch would be able to turn the tide.

12januari1941situatie.jpg

The Dutch fortress surrounded by the German aggressor

All the German attacks seemed to be focussed on Den Helder, and indeed it became a struggle to hold on to this coastal fortress. The Luftwaffe bombed the Dutch and allied troops over and over again, and manpower was simply lacking. Many divisions would be halved in strength and some even decimated in Winkelman's desperate attempt to hold Den Helder. He knew he could not hold for long.

However, seeing that any German breakthrough was only possible using the Luftwaffe's airpower and the United Kingdom reluctant to provide air support, Winkelman ordered the production of four squadrons of the licence-built British Hurricane MK. II interceptors.
1ejachtvliegtuiggroep.jpg

Although production started in February, it remained yet to be seen whether the first interceptor group would be finished in time to protect our troops in Den Helder against another German attack.

In order to provide enough pilots for these interceptors and fully reinforce all other Dutch divisions, Winkelman decided to disband the only Dutch division not yet equipped by artillery. This would free up enough manpower to reinforce his troops and give the Army Air Arm sufficient amounts of pilots and ground
personnel.
disbandunit12feb1941.jpg

Disbanding the 8th Division

By the end of February, Winkelman's mind was only occupied with the planned German spring-offensive. The sheer size and brutality of the German forces would make any normal head of state shiver in terror and go insane. Winkelman just drank five beers instead of his standard four every evening, and so far it worked fine.

5januari1941oob.jpg

The Allied defensive positions during the relatively calm winter months

The terrible battle of Den Helder
March started with a shock. The Luftwaffe and Wehrmacht attacked Den Helder with enormous force. For every corps attacking and getting halted at the Den Helder fortifications, a fresh one would take its place. By the 13th day of fighting Winkelman had already shifted many troops, and the constant air attacks caused enormous casualties.

denhelder13march41.jpg

British divisions holding Den Helder, while Greek troops act as reserves. Dutch troops had retreated earlier, after sustaining horrid losses because of the German Stukas.

denhelderapril1941.jpg

By April 1941 the Greeks and British had already retreated once, and now the New Zealanders and Canadians attempted to hold the line.

denhelder10april41.jpg

By the tenth of April, the Greeks and Dutch were ordered into battle again after reinforcing and reorganizing. However, Winkelman saw he would have to abandon Den Helder: The manpower losses could not be sustained.

By the 13th of April, Winkelman ordered a retreat to Amsterdam. Den Helder was lost. The strait of water between Den Helder and Western Friesland was a terrible sight: Littered with dead German soldiers, tank wreckages, and trucks. Hitler had pushed for a costly victory. Many battles had been fought over this fortress, so the total number of German casualties during the course of 1939, 1940, and 1941 must have been enormous.
denhelderlost.jpg

The loss of Den Helder.

Under air attack the former defenders of Den Helder retreated to the fortress of Amsterdam.
reatreatdenhelder.jpg

The retreat of the allied defenders.

denhelderaftermath.jpg

The new front-line, which leaved very little room for the Dutch troops to manoeuvre. HQs could not be placed behind the front any more, and disorganized troops would always risk retreating to a place that was also being attacked. However, Winkelman knew that victory was possible in the end. There will be no surrender!

Den Helder indeed is quite a decisive blow... On the plus side you now have only fortified provinces left! Hopefully heavily fortified, ie. 8-10 levels of fortifications. With those levels you should be more than capable of making the AI fear the attack enough so that it will never ever actually gain the balls to seriously try it.

You should make a transport and try to attack an undefended province in France.

How many troops do the germans have over there?

I had three transport flotillas, but the Germans garrisoned all of their port provinces.

Ouch, I hope you can survive.

I bet you've allready tried to set objectives for your allies?
Yes, but since it attracted huge numbers of expeditionary troops I remove them from time to time. There are already more allied divisions than Dutch defending fortress Holland, which is not entirely the point of this AAR. Although to have any chance of victory I do need the allied expeditionary forces.

I have to say I am getting concerned about this! Just how many divisions do you have left that are still capable of resistance? Do you have any provincial AA cover? Unfortunately it looks like those fighters will be too few and too late... it seems the Luftwaffe will be the decisive factor in this struggle. :(
No provincial AA. I thought that did not help against ground attacks? I can assure you that it will be all right though. I played a few years ahead.

Den Helder indeed is quite a decisive blow... On the plus side you now have only fortified provinces left! Hopefully heavily fortified, ie. 8-10 levels of fortifications. With those levels you should be more than capable of making the AI fear the attack enough so that it will never ever actually gain the balls to seriously try it.
Well, they do try occasional attacks against my southern provinces but being protected from rivers and level 5-8 forts they always fail miserable. Fortress Holland is a huge drain on German manpower.

I would have used a fleet to cross a channel in order to defend Den Helder. If any Germans managed to enter Den Helder then I would counter-attack them and block the channel so they couldn't escape and force them to surrender.

However, now there is more intrigue ;)

Been watching from the shadows for a while and seeing how you do, just a question, at what point will you consider an evacuation to the colonies, how much ground will you have to lose?

Oh and you can block straits, but not if the enemy is already engaged in combat I believe.

Been watching from the shadows for a while and seeing how you do, just a question, at what point will you consider an evacuation to the colonies, how much ground will you have to lose?

Oh and you can block straits, but not if the enemy is already engaged in combat I believe.

I am sure an evacuation to the colonies is not necessary. I would only do this once Amsterdam is my last province in Europe. However, I can say that having played till '44 now, things got... better. You will not see me retreating to the colonies :). I might follow that strategy in another AAR.

Very interesting, almost WW1 style battles. Those CAS bombing unopposed can really ruin your day, though.

No provincial AA. I thought that did not help against ground attacks? I can assure you that it will be all right though. I played a few years ahead.

And here I was thinking you'd be brought down soon. Good show! Could we have a screenshot of your land leaders in the next installment? I'm curious how experienced they are by now.

If nothing else, you've shown those French who the real tough men are in Europe!

Any chance we might see the Dutch Tricolour over the Reichstag?

If I'd tell that know, it would spoil the adventure yet to come :)

And here I was thinking you'd be brought down soon. Good show! Could we have a screenshot of your land leaders in the next installment? I'm curious how experienced they are by now.

Sure, I think I still have some '41 saves around. My next update will focus on the Dutch navy though, which has seen some nice action during 1940 - '41.

It's a fantastic defense you've managed. I always wanted to try my hand at a Netherlands game, but I doubt I'd do half as well as you. Keep up the great work.

My next update will focus on the Dutch navy though, which has seen some nice action during 1940 - '41.

Good to hear, I'm very excited to read this!

Congratulations! I've just nominated Fortress Holland for [post=12123956]The Weekly AAR Showcase[/post]

I've just started following this now that it's been highlighted as the Weekly Showcase, and I must say I'm impressed. A dogged defense - hopefully you won't come unstuck!

Great AAR!

Can we expect a new update anytime soon? Do not want to rush you, but I'm checking this forum every day before work and would very much like to see an update to this execellent AAR. Frequent updates keep this AAR on my first-to-read list, and with me perhaps many others.

Please read my comment as a incentive to post more frequently, since that's what it is. You're doing much better than anything I managed to achieve, and I would like to see how The Netherlands in this game could survive the German onslaught.

Don't keep us waiting, just let us now how your divisions and naval units are faring against the German troops!

Congratulations! I've just nominated Fortress Holland for [post=12123956]The Weekly AAR Showcase[/post]

Thanks! This will give me some much-needed motivation to work on an update :).

I'll be reading from now on. ;)

Thanks! I hope you won't regret it... ;)

I've just started following this now that it's been highlighted as the Weekly Showcase, and I must say I'm impressed. A dogged defense - hopefully you won't come unstuck!

The Germans will be pushed back. Total victory or no victory. :)

Great AAR!

Can we expect a new update anytime soon? Do not want to rush you, but I'm checking this forum every day before work and would very much like to see an update to this execellent AAR. Frequent updates keep this AAR on my first-to-read list, and with me perhaps many others.

Please read my comment as a incentive to post more frequently, since that's what it is. You're doing much better than anything I managed to achieve, and I would like to see how The Netherlands in this game could survive the German onslaught.

Don't keep us waiting, just let us now how your divisions and naval units are faring against the German troops!

I'll try to get an update up tomorrow. I'm travelling around the country this week though(went to Amsterdam today, going to the far north tomorrow) to help family and have some fun, but I'll take my notebook with me. I'm too exhausted to write anything now... But yes, I will try to post more frequently :).

One question I have for you guys is how my policy on expeditionary forces should be. I decided to in the Far East only use Dutch units, but Fortress Holland is in April 1941 defended by the following:

8 Dutch Divisions: best quality allied troops on Dutch soil, each division has 3 model IV infantry brigades and one model V artillery brigade.

12 allied divisions(Greece, Canada, Great Britain, Belgium): 8 of these are very bad quality(3 model I or II INF brigades) and understrength. 4 of these are British and decent quality: An armoured division, two gurkha divisions, and one motorized infantry division.

Furthermore about 10 French divisions not under my command.

How much expeditionary forces is acceptable?

It will be a big hassle to keep returning them, and the main defence was led by Dutch forces until allied help later in 1940, but eventually I want to take the fight to the Germans. For that I simply have inadequate manpower: My INT wings will soon give protection against air attacks, but even with that protection I would bleed to zero manpower very soon if on the offensive, while not being able to produce any units to hold a line more than 8 provinces wide(not even considering I still need to send divisions to the Asian theatre).

Basically Dutch manpower is a-historical in HOI 3 because a nation of 9 million people(not counting the colonies of course) should be more than capable of mobilizing an army of 8 divisions. In reality the Dutch homeland army in 1940(after mobilization) consisted of 280.000 men: Much more than the roughly 10 divisions worth of troops you are able to mobilize up to full strength before running out of manpower in vanilla HOI 3. This is how I justify my use of expeditionary forces :p.

Coming up tomorrow:
Update on production showing an overview of 1941
Update on naval actions showing an overview of 1940 - 1941
Update on leaders and OOB structure