• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I was o this website myself for a few years i know how busy it an be.

Love this AAR!!!

no it is not dead. I checked with Rensslaer, and it is on hiatus, meaning he plans to get back to it some day but has RL commitments to take care of first. same goes for his other HPP AAR, Locarno.

PCI = Partido Comunista Italiano (Italian Communist Party), I'd reckon.

Thanks, Reis91 - surely so.

Okay, so not a full-blown return to AARland, but at least an acknowledgement of future intent. Good luck with the book, so that you may return to the forums with all due haste. ;)

Thanks, Stuyvesant! I may not have time today to do an update, but I've been considering it. I just need to take a break from the book, AND a break from holiday preparations and the aftermath. I thought preparing an update for one of my AARs might be just the thing. We'll see!

Having co-written a sourcebook back in the 90s for the West End Games Indiana Jones RPG (it was the Artifacts book), I know the amount of work that goes into things. Thanks for checking in and letting us know what's up.

Very cool, KyrionMyrthar! I have one sourcebook for that game, but instead of buying the whole set I used it to create my own Indiana Jones style RPG. If I'd seen your book, and had the money, I probably would have grabbed it.

Who knows -- I might still write a story based on that old RPG. It was enough different from Indiana Jones that it wouldn't infringe on the copyrights.

Good luck with the book! Looking forward to your unmitigated return to the many AARs in your hands.

Thanks, WhisperingDeath! I may come back soon to start updating. Not sure exactly, because this book project just drags on and on...

I'm here.

Thanks, Danking! Welcome, if I've not welcomed you previously!

I am really enjoying this AAR. I just purchased a couple of Paradox games that I haven't been able to enjoy due to "old computer syndrome", HoI 3 being one of them. I'm learning a lot from this AAR and am looking forward to the conclusion. I'm also going to have to look up these strategy guides that everyone is mentioning.

Thanks, Ar Confederate! Welcome! Hope you're enjoying your Paradox games -- I know Gamersgate has some pretty good sales on right now, for the holidays. The Strategy Guides are linked from my Inkwell page (linked at the bottom of my signature). I did 3 Strategy Guides for HOI 3, covering the pre-release and early patch games. Much of the content of the Guides should still be valid, though some may have changed due to patch versions. The reason the info should still be valid is that I spent most of my time with the HOI 3 Guides showing real military strategy and how to translate it into game terms -- things like how to attack a defensive line and create a breakthrough.

you can find them in Rensslaer's inkwell (in his signature). they are well worth the read as some of the stuff is just strategy regardless of game version.

I guess you just said that, huh? lol Thanks!

delurks* very informative as usual. you really broke down this mod for me. Thanks dude.

Welcome, PJ Fallon! Have you been playing HPP? I've really enjoyed it. Looking forward to seeing it in use with the FTM expansion.

I was o this website myself for a few years i know how busy it an be.

Love this AAR!!!

Thanks, WraithLead! Welcome! Love your Reagan quote. I'm listening to an audiobook about Reagan, by an author who doesn't like him, and it's funny how often he'll mention something that to a liberal would make Reagan look bad, but to a conservative like me reminds us how much we liked him! lol I can't assume you're conservative just from the quote, but I just wanted to say I enjoyed the quote.

But this ARR is dead now :(

Welcome, Ouragon! Nope (as MisterBean points out) it's not dead. Just waiting for me to have time to work on it. I'm actually anxious to get back to this. I've been away too long.

no it is not dead. I checked with Rensslaer, and it is on hiatus, meaning he plans to get back to it some day but has RL commitments to take care of first. same goes for his other HPP AAR, Locarno.

Thanks again, MisterBean!

Yup that's the story -- I'll be back as soon as I get my book finished, if not before. There's a slight chance I might do an update to one of my AARs tonight, but I'm running out of time.

Thanks for your support! We'll see you soon, I hope.

Rensslaer

allright! Let's get this show on the road!!

*Raises a glas for the continuation of this AAR*

I seem to have forgotten this AAR, sorry Rens... :sad:

Just re-read the whole AAR in one sitting, fantastic stuff and I hope you continue with it.

Operation Griff – Part 1​

Before we go on, I want to first apologize for my long absence (about 7 months), and second point you back to Operation Brise, which coincides with this update (Brise is northern operations, Griff is southern). It might be a good idea to remember what was going on as Germany launched her first counteroffensive of the war. The link to that update is here, to recap.

Remember, also, that in July the decision had been made to move German defensive lines forward, in order to protect some key cities, including the energy production centers at Krakow.

AdvancePositions.jpg

Notice that I am taking up positions in defensible terrain, where possible – behind rivers, or in forests or rough terrain. The city of Krakow is, of course, also very defensible territory (urban fighting is the worst – probably ask any veteran and they’ll confirm). The slight exposure, north of Krakow was expected to be covered by Polish resistance, at least for the time being, there being enough Polish troops falling back from the east that they should tire and block the enemy there.

By the time German units reached their planned positions along the Czech border – around August 1 – the Soviets had already advanced to within a few miles of those positions. They might be expected to engage soon.

DefenseLinePlusGarr.jpg

As the primary defensive line moves forward, we are emplacing our newly created garrison divisions along the old defensive lines, along our borders. These garrison divisions, of two brigades, some with anti-aircraft battalions, soon also had artillery battalions added.

The southern generals were already mindful of the difficulties being experienced in the north, and so they were trending toward more caution in the employment of their forces. At the same time, they also had a desire to accomplish more, and prove themselves.

Krynica.jpg

About 3 days later, on the 4th, the Soviets made first contact with German forces, and after a brief fit of confusion and delay, they pressed the attack. The Germans were not so easy a foe as the Poles, being quite a bit better trained and operationally secure, as well as somewhat entrenched. But as the lead troops halted, more joined their ranks and the battle deepened.

By the evening of the 4th, the German position at Krynica was already starting to seem overextended. The Poles were retreating too quickly.

KrynicaFalling.jpg

Gen. Ruoff’s division was holding, in its entrenched positions, pretty well. But it was being flanked by another Soviet division from the north, which fortunately was already partially spent from its contact with the Poles.

Stukas and Dorniers began pounding the Russians advancing from Ozenna. North, along the line, German divisions continued to dig in, expecting to soon feel the brunt of Soviet attack. By the afternoon of the 6th, it was clear Krynica was not stable enough to hold. The 23rd began retreating to Novy Targ.

RuoffFallback.jpg

An armored quick-reaction force under Gen. Haase had been in Novy Targ, awaiting an opportunity to jump in, once the Soviets had advanced beyond the leading edge of the German defensive line. The idea, there, was to slip in along the Czech border and cut off the advance from the south.

Overlap.jpg

Now that Krynica had already fallen (and by now, sad reports of ruined chances in the north were trepidating the estimates of German commanders in the south), Haase reassessed, and began moving north behind the lines to where he would not be immediately engaged, and could still choose his opportunity to jump in. In his mind, the original plan was not quite blown. Not yet. Perhaps a few battlefield readjustments would fix things.

By noon on the 9th, the Soviets were already capitalizing on the retreat of Ruoff’s 23rd, which now was forced to fall back to Zywiec. A brief attempt by communist units to assault Novy Sacz, which by now was heavily fortified, was abandoned. The Soviets would slip past along a narrow front, covered on their left by the Czech border.

FromNovyTarg.jpg

One encouraging happenstance which coincided with all this activity along the front was the deployment of the first two Fallschirmjager divisions. The paratroops would need some time to come up to operational capacity, but minds began to spin as to how they might be employed in this current situation.

By the 13th, the Soviet advance had ground to a halt, a second attempt at Novy Sacz had stalled, and the Russians in Novy Torg had become remarkably exposed.

HaaseAdvance.jpg

Gen. Haase, meanwhile, had chosen his place to attack. He would slice in at Gorlice, southeast of Krakow, and try to push to the Czech border. Then, with any luck, he could re-implement the original Operation Griff playbook. The Soviets offered stiff resistance, but by the 17th, with his combined panzer and air attacks, the defenses at Gorlice were seeming softer and softer, being ground away.

GorliceBreakthrough.jpg

They gave ground on the 18th, and began to fall back, having suffered heavy losses. Even the Russian light tanks which had been brought in at the end were insufficient to stop the Panzer III and IV models working forward.

With Soviet troops rushing forward into Poland, there was no easy victory here. There were always divisions ready to fill the gaps – almost a fluidity, to the Soviet resistance. But the oncoming formations were not ready for defense – they were still hoping to meet the Poles before they all melted away and glory was lost. Not everybody was prepared for combat, where they were, and communications were lacking.

Gen. Haase’s 2nd and 9th Panzers, still barely tired, opted to strike straight east, on the 19th, into Pruchnik, in an ambitious attempt to cut off about a dozen Soviet divisions, or as many as they could get. The goal would be to push through to retake the airfield at Przymylsk, then drive south to Czechoslovakia.

PruchnikStrike.jpg

Gen. von Thoma, with the Panzer IVs of 6th Panzer, struck north into Rzeszow, in order to pin five communist divisions there, so that they could not interfere with Haase’s advance. This was a risk, using panzers in a delaying action against so many, but it was felt this was necessary.

News from the north was still not good. Operation Brise had proved a failure, and the Soviet advance was so rapid that now further extrication operations were underway. Reactive war was not the way to victory. Gen. Haase hoped he could show the way instead.

More to come….

Before I go, I want to thank everybody who voted for my AARs in the recent AARLand Choice AwAARds! In the 4th Quarter, even though this hasn’t been updated in 7 months, Kriegsgefahr actually won the HOI 3 Gameplay category (also won Q2), which is a test of all AARs updated in 2011. That is deeply honoring, and I really appreciate all your support! My V2 AAR I Am Siam, completed earlier in 2011, also tied for the V2 Gameplay award. And even Imperio Novo (Axis Portugal) got at least one vote.

Lastly, I hate to tell you this, but I’m not “back” quite yet. I was just suffering a cold this weekend, in the middle of a Colorado blizzard (the first this winter, if you can imagine!), and had some time on my hands, combined with an urge to get back to this. It’s still possible I may use the momentum of getting this one update up to prompt me to others in the next few days, but I can’t promise anything.

I’ll be “back” within another month or two, I’m hoping, depending on if I can actually find time to finish my book (which has taken way longer than expected).

Thanks!

Rensslaer

Nice to see this one updated again! I feel it's rather too soon to judge the true strength of both armies. There are encouraging signs that the German forces, especially the Panzers, can engage and beat the Soviets in the right circumstances, but your enemy has such overwhelming numbers and has not yet concentrated his power against you. These battles could best be described as skirmishes. The decisive phase is yet to come.

Whoho your back, well more back than before Lets get the Fireworks, Wait even better let's fire those fireworks at the Soviets best of both worlds, Celebrations and dead soviets who could complain except maybe the soviets.

I'm just happy this AAR is still alive and kicking, I look forward to the next update two months from now.

I just bought HoI3 and so am only now finding this excellent AAR. This is totally my style of play! I hate wars that can't be won easily, so I tend to build up until the last second, resulting in years of unhistorical peace.

It's good to hear that the AAR is not dead. I won't complain even if I get my Christmas present in early 2012 ;)

Thanks, Cybvep! I'm happy to get it moving again, if only slowly so far...

allright! Let's get this show on the road!!

Thank you for your support, Sir! :)

Really looking forward to an update on this! :)

There's definitely more to come. Just a matter of finding time for it. There's more of Operation Griff, plus I need to go back north and catch you up on what I hinted is going on...

*Raises a glas for the continuation of this AAR*

Thanks, Lews! You've been following my AARs since Fire Warms... don't you get tired of it? :p

I seem to have forgotten this AAR, sorry Rens... :sad:

Just re-read the whole AAR in one sitting, fantastic stuff and I hope you continue with it.

Wow, Tanzhang! I'm honored! That's alot of reading. Glad you enjoyed it.

this is looking a bit scary, maybe time for a more mobile defense (not that you have a lot to give up), so as to over-extend the Soviets?

Like a looming sandstorm about to envelop you! :) My plan, at this point, IS for a mobile defense, but I can't afford for my early defense lines to fall this soon. Otherwise, I may never be able to hold the 2nd defense line, which is still being built up. I may end up all the way back in Germany eventually, but I'd like for it not to be soon.

It looks like the Soviets were prepared...

Yeah, I didn't slow them down a whole lot.

Now THAT looks scary...

Second comment about "scary!" :D Yup. Pretty scary from this end, too.

Nice to see this one updated again! I feel it's rather too soon to judge the true strength of both armies. There are encouraging signs that the German forces, especially the Panzers, can engage and beat the Soviets in the right circumstances, but your enemy has such overwhelming numbers and has not yet concentrated his power against you. These battles could best be described as skirmishes. The decisive phase is yet to come.

Thanks, SSmith! I think you're right. Neither side has shown what they're capable of just yet. As I have more Panzers rolling off the lines (I haven't seen anything but light tanks on their end yet), I hope they'll be able to do what they need. Now, if I can just get my supply lines to hold up in Poland...

Whoho your back, well more back than before Lets get the Fireworks, Wait even better let's fire those fireworks at the Soviets best of both worlds, Celebrations and dead soviets who could complain except maybe the soviets.

Thanks, Thandros! I'll take all the firepower help I can get! :D

I'm just happy this AAR is still alive and kicking, I look forward to the next update two months from now.

Well.... Hopefully sooner than that! :D

I just bought HoI3 and so am only now finding this excellent AAR. This is totally my style of play! I hate wars that can't be won easily, so I tend to build up until the last second, resulting in years of unhistorical peace.

Great! Welcome, BootOnFace! Hope you're enjoying HOI 3 as much as I do, still, even after all this time (I've been playing it since the early beta, which must have been 2 or 3 years ago), and despite early complaints it wasn't playable, I felt it was perfectly enjoyable long before it was even released.

Strange variants on history are always fun, so long as they're realistic.

I may or may not try to put another update out this weekend. I'm placing about a 20-30% chance on it. Otherwise, hopefully next weekend or something.

Thanks again for your readership!

Rensslaer

just a thought, but won't your increased troop production put you in the UK's crosshairs? make sure everything stays quiet on the Western Front.

just a thought, but won't your increased troop production put you in the UK's crosshairs? make sure everything stays quiet on the Western Front.

Ahh, yes, but... :) I don't remember the exact formula, but if I remember correctly, the HPP mod, which I'm using, only gives 1/10th as much threat per military unit. And so I can build up reasonably without drawing the ire of the Allies. This is the only reason why I'm able to defend myself at all, but it's also the reason why I'm not able to defend myself completely.

Rensslaer