• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(259759)

Second Lieutenant
Jan 31, 2011
Hey Guys

i was messing around with the XMLs from this thread -> http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1742338
and ive found a way to host a "pvp" in challenges WITHOUT sending anyone any files.

just copy paste the code into: Steam\steamapps\common\magicka\Content\Levels\Chal lenges\chs_havindr_arena.xml

Also dont forget to BACKUP your XML file before

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<Scene>
  <model>ch_havindr_arena</model>
  <reverb roomType="10" mix="40" />
  <Indoor>true</Indoor>
  <trigger id="Start" repeat="False">
    <if />
    <then>
	<cameramagnify magnification="0.6"/>
      	<playMusic cue="music_encounter" delay="4"/>
        <playAnimation name="rope1" loop="true"/>
        <playAnimation name="rope2" loop="true"/>
        <playAnimation name="rope3" loop="true"/>
        <playAnimation name="rope4" loop="true"/>
	<unlockMagick magicktype="revive" delay="0"/>
	<unlockMagick magicktype="haste" delay="30"/>
	<unlockMagick magicktype="grease" delay="60"/>
	<unlockMagick magicktype="tornado" delay="90"/>
	<unlockMagick magicktype="teleport" delay="120"/>
	<unlockMagick magicktype="sundead" delay="150"/>
	<unlockMagick magicktype="nullify" delay="180"/>
	<unlockMagick magicktype="vortex" delay="210"/>
    </then>
  </trigger>

<RuleSet type="Survival" waves="3">
    <spawnAreas>
      <area>north</area>
      <area>west</area>
      <area>east</area>
      <area>south</area>
    </spawnAreas>
  </RuleSet>

<!--Free For All or 2vs2-->
  <wave>
    <waveActions area="any" delay="60">
        <playAnimation name="grate_anim" loop="true" children="true" speed="1"/>
    </waveActions>
    <waveActions area="any" delay="120">
        <playAnimation name="grate_anim" loop="true" children="true" speed="-1"/>
    </waveActions>
    <waveActions area="any" delay="180">
    </waveActions>
    <waveActions area="any" delay="240">
        <playAnimation name="grate_anim" loop="true" children="true" speed="-1"/>
    </waveActions>
    <waveActions area="any" delay="300">
    </waveActions>
  </wave>
<!-- 2 -->
  <wave>
    <waveActions area="any" delay="0">
    </waveActions>
  </wave>
 <!--THE END - Everyone has to die so that everyone can see the scoreboard-->
  <wave>
      <spawn type="beholder_malign" nr="10"/>
    </waveActions>
    </waveActions>
    </waveActions>
    </waveActions>
  </wave>
</Scene>

SO in the end, the whole point of this is, is to have fun by setting some rules:

Code:
1st. we start in the middle
2nd. pick a pillar and go behind it
3rd. the Last Man Standing rezzes everyone
4th. go back to the pillars fully healed and fight again.

U can basicly go mayhem style 1vs1vs1vs1 or set up teams of 2vs2 with play colors.(ex. 2 red vs 2 yellows)

Note: this new XML, opens up the pit on harvindr arena, adding more crazyness to the pvp. This arena is now set to 10minutes, and hast no more chests spawning. Also the skills now are given to the player like very second "wave"(1 wave takes around 30 sec)

Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONWs7k5tyu8 old

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxzSK_OHprY new

PS. nullify is probably the most used magicka in pvp, and all those magickas that require time to cast arent that good at all.
If u dont want some of the magickas that are on the xml file, just delete them.

PS2. I dunno what are the arrowhead or paradox thoughts on this matter, messing around with the xml files and shiz, but untill we have a working pvp officially released, i think this is more then enough to have some fun :D

Last edited:
So if anybody's interested in some PvP just add me on Steam (Pandemic21). This edit does work, obviously, and I'm interested in playing some games with people who might know what they're doing a bit more then the random people who join my game :p.

If you wanna host it that's fine, if not I'll be hosting it from USE.

Well have fun, but PVP real more balance stuff.
Maybe works for you but if i would meet 'my own lvl' it would even be funny like 1 shot duo..''

The real PVP need more Health improvements or less dmg changes, with 1.3.3.7 patch normal mode it wont just work.

You guys who like this have fun, but for me i think i'll wait for some proper PVP-Arena

PVP would work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Egrvk08UO1Q

Can't wait for an official mode, but this will have to do for now. Still Awesome.

I'm not really sure if I'm ready to agree with you there. I'll admit the spawning thing that you can trap your opponent if you are lucky. (Similar with Quake Live.)

Before i start with this 1 shot duo i want to see what Arrowhead will give us.

See you around, Dttzi

Ive been doing some poking around with the xml files, and ive done some improvements into this mod, including some "map intervention", time limit reduced to 10min, all 20 waves setupped, so it does work with all other normal challenges, and this 20 waves are used has a "coutdown" before the arena finishes, and the score screen pops up. Ofc the person with less deaths is the winner.

Frapsed video incoming later, after work.

btw Dttzi, this mod is the only thing that seperates the real pvp mode tath is half implemented and buggy, and u need to send files between players, and with my mod u can just normally host a multiplayer game and play.
Also about balance, i cant change any dmg multipliers without having to send files to other players, and my wish is not to do that, thats arrowhead/paradox job.

Till we have a proper PVP arena, this will be my dailie fix of Magicka.

PS. it would be awsome if arrowhead would implement something like Starcraft 2 ladder, where u play vs players of ur own skill, on diferent leagues, depending on ms, etc.

btw Dttzi, this mod is the only thing that seperates the real pvp mode tath is half implemented and buggy, and u need to send files between players, and with my mod u can just normally host a multiplayer game and play.
Also about balance, i cant change any dmg multipliers without having to send files to other players, and my wish is not to do that, thats arrowhead/paradox job.

My post wasn't meant to offend you and it had nice parts like i mentioned with the spawning camp and as well i mentioned i thought it still needs some hp improvements etc but that's probebly nothing you can do, so we have to wait for Arrowhead to take action just like you said and what i said in previous post.

So i dont see the meaning of the reply, when the answere is in my first post.

If i wasn't clear enough i admit this is the best you/we can do until we get 'hopefully' proper PVP-section into the game made by Arrowhead.

See you around, Dttzi

My post wasn't meant to offend you and it had nice parts like i mentioned with the spawning camp and as well i mentioned i thought it still needs some hp improvements etc but that's probebly nothing you can do, so we have to wait for Arrowhead to take action just like you said and what i said in previous post.

So i dont see the meaning of the reply, when the answere is in my first post.

If i wasn't clear enough i admit this is the best you/we can do until we get 'hopefully' proper PVP-section into the game made by Arrowhead.

See you around, Dttzi

I agree that the PVP work-around is by no means what the official PVP mode will be like. What I do believe, however, is that the core mechanics for fun gameplay is present in Magicka and that the video demonstrates the potential. From here the edges can be smoothed out (and indeed do need to be smoothed out), but the basic mechanics for an enjoyable PVP mode are here.

So actually I just realized that you may have misinterpreted my initial post. It wasn't a response to you, it was for anyone who was skeptical about the potential of even an official Magicka PVP release. I actually hadn't read your first comment on this thread until just now and agree with your remark. =P

Hmm. I started it singleplayer to experiment with, and used raise dead to summon some zombies, and had no problems killing a bunch of them, but as soon as I got them all wet with water spells, it declared victory. How bizarre.

(Restarted, used an AOE instead of a beam, and it did it again. What is this I don't even.)