+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 31 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast

Thread: Crusader Kings II - Dev Diary 5 - The map

Bavarian Emperor X_MasterDave_X's Avatar
    200k clubAchtung PanzerArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in Motion
    Crusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDarkest HourDeus VultEast India Company
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneIron CrossKing Arthur IIThe Kings Crusade
    Lost Empire - ImmortalsMagickaMajesty 2March of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Pirates of Black CoveVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeRome GoldSemper Fi
    SengokuSword of the StarsSword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler 2020 GoldSupreme Ruler: Cold War
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband
    Warlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordPride of NationsRise of PrussiaCK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Quote Originally Posted by vertinox View Post
    King, I think you are mistaken on what we are asking for. We're not calling for a reversion to the 2D engine but rather a 3d map that looks more like a historic map rather than a Google Earth map. With an emphasis on simplicity and aesthetics rather than extraneous detail.

Take the amazing success of Minecraft. It is 3d, but its success is perhaps because of its graphical simplicity rather than the complexity a 3d engine could provide. Even die hard FPS players love it.

It doesn't matter what technology you use, but the art direction and the useful display on important information is key for long term playability.

The map doesn't have to look like Google Earth to make sales. The map can look good in 3d and still look like a classical map.

And yes please use the 3d engine because they are way more modable than the old maps and the development costs are not as much as the old 2d games.
    +1 Exactly that !!!

But i bet its just that some fans and the designer have different opionions how a map in a medieval game should look like. The designer wants a classical normal looking world. And some fans would like a more minimalistic looking world, somehow closer to the map we see at start of "Lord of Rings".

Maybe there is room for both.....or even better....still planned.

Maybe this world looks like we saw it on this fotos from close, but very different from higher above. Like it is in HoI3 too. There the map from far looks like a old folded map form the old days of WW2.

I bet the fans would smile big to see the CK2 Map in the style of Middle Earth when you zoom out far enough.
    One of the 2 lucky winners of the 200k celebration
    TY Paradox for lifetime supply of your games !!!

Oooh, a Custom User Title? Gwyn ap Nud's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Mount & Blade: Warband500k clubEuropa Universalis IVEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseCrusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
    Crusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
    Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India

I would hardly call it a 'craze'. I sincerely doubt that anyone's going to go back to 2d maps. It would be like going from detailed models of units to sprites: a step back, that would make the game unsellable.
    I know I believe in nothing, but it is my nothing
    Cogito Ergo Sum

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineKing Arthur IIMagickaEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Rome: Vae VictisCK2: Holy KnightEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by LordofSaxony View Post
    I suppose they could shrink the soldier graphics down to about 1/6 the size or so, and have each group of 5,000 soldiers act as 1 soldier icon. So if you have 15,000 soldiers you'll see 3 soldiers grouped, if you have 30,000 you'll see 6 soldiers grouped, and so on. You wouldn't even need to hover over their army to see the size, you could have a solid guess that way, at least within 5k or so.
    I hope they shrink them down to 1/6 or so regardless of creating armies instead of single soldier icons. The current size looks rather ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Garuda View Post
    I miss the beautiful 2D maps of EU1&2, Vicky 1 and CK1.
    Dude, those are some impressive rose tinted glasses you've got there. CK1 is the only pre-Clausewitz Paradox game I'd still play, but the map was ugly as hell and difficult to use because it was so muddy.

Quote Originally Posted by galuska View Post
    I really like this new map.
    not map modes, but map layers!
    I would love to be able to see the mountains, but it would be good to view country colours on top of them. (not brown-green based on topography, but all black if HRE, all white while zooming onto Portugal, etc.) The same would be with religion layer (not green-brown on topography, but silver with catholic, copper with orthodox, gold with muslim), etc.
    This! I've been asking for layers instead of modes since EUIII was still in dev.
    Last edited by Zan Thrax; 05-02-2011 at 01:09. Reason: combined posts
    Victoria 2: Bismark 1

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: Chronicles
    Hearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourVictoria: RevolutionsRome Gold
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessPride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

I'm curious, why so many bones in your meshes? At a glance I can count 16 and judging by the animations it seems like a bit of overkill. Would be interesting to see the edgeflow and the amount of tris in your models, by the way.

Oh, and I'm loving the ocean floors and the smoother borders.

Crusader Kings IIRome Gold500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Planeta Tierra, Sistema Solar, Via Láctea
    In Civilization there is the option to use single soldiers as graphics. You can give the option to us to use single soldiers or groups if our computer can handle it. And you are improving the engine to use multithread anyway, right? Well...
    All the glory of the world fits in a grain of rice. José Martí
    Rapper, I am like a book, you never will touch me. Melow

Quote Originally Posted by vertinox View Post
    King, I think you are mistaken on what we are asking for. We're not calling for a reversion to the 2D engine but rather a 3d map that looks more like a historic map rather than a Google Earth map. With an emphasis on simplicity and aesthetics rather than extraneous detail.

Take the amazing success of Minecraft. It is 3d, but its success is perhaps because of its graphical simplicity rather than the complexity a 3d engine could provide. Even die hard FPS players love it.

It doesn't matter what technology you use, but the art direction and the useful display on important information is key for long term playability.

The map doesn't have to look like Google Earth to make sales. The map can look good in 3d and still look like a classical map.

And yes please use the 3d engine because they are way more modable than the old maps and the development costs are not as much as the old 2d games.
    More eloquently put then me but yes to 3D and at the same time be more imaginative and contribute something to humanity that is more then a forest that looks like a forest from a plane, Jesus!
    Re-textured Map for HOI3. http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...d.php?t=429738
    Re-textured Map For EU3\Cities. http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...d.php?t=283243
    Re-textured map for Victoria II. http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...d.php?t=498811
    Re-textured map for Divine Wind. http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...or-Divine-Wind.

A map should look like a map and not a cheap version of the world from a high altitude balloon.

Quote Originally Posted by bitmapmedivh View Post
    I'm curious, why so many bones in your meshes? At a glance I can count 16 and judging by the animations it seems like a bit of overkill.
    16 seems to be optimal number for proper humanoid model/animation. For example, IIRC in M2TW there are 18 bones per soldier, and there can be thousands of them rendered simultainosly without a problem (even though they have much more polygons/higher res textures, than 3d models in paradox games).

Will the units and province names also rotate when you rotate the map?

If this was the case then map rotation would be more useful/appealing

You can see in EUR that it doesn't feel right:

To be honest: This map looks awful!
    Speaking as a hardcore CK-Fan ...
    Storm over Tintagel - A Cornwall AAR for CK: DV and TASS ... Started: 26.07.2008 ++ Updated: May 2009...

Final Patch - Ideas for new conditions and effects

Quote Originally Posted by performer View Post
    To be honest: This map looks awful!
    Speaking as a hardcore CK-Fan ...
    To be honest: This map is not yet done

Achtung PanzerArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest Hour
    Deus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindFor The GloryFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMagicka
    Majesty 2EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper Fi
    Sword of the StarsSword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler 2020 GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandCK2: Holy KnightKnights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Alpha screenshots are alpha.

A Game of DwarvesCrusader Kings IIDungeonlandEuropa Universalis 3EU3 Complete
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneLeviathan: Warships
    Penumbra - Black PlagueSemper FiSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldThe Showdown EffectWarlock: Master of the Arcane
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the RosesPride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms eventEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica
    Crusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
    Crusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaCrusader Kings II: Charlemagne

Blog Entries
    I don't care much about the map (I don't like reaistic graphics, though). I want a DD about the Pope!

Banned

Well. The map in CK1 was awful, and this map looks awesome.

Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Heir to the ThroneRome GoldMount & Blade: Warband500k club

Quote Originally Posted by Hardradi View Post
    Will the units and province names also rotate when you rotate the map?

If this was the case then map rotation would be more useful/appealing

You can see in EUR that it doesn't feel right:

I loaded up Rome to see what you mean (it's been a while since I played). I agree that the names and units should follow the rotation.

I think that some of the complaints about the map will disappear once details like forests and marsh are added (because on the sample screenshot Swabia is looking a bit too bald). If it ends up looking like EU Rome's, I think it will be a great improvement on CK1's comparatively drab terrain map.

Edit: As an aside, can provincial terrain types change by event, say if you drain marshland or expand the number of baronies to the detriment of light forestland? Just an idea born of the late night.

I remember terrain-changing events in CK (AKA 'draining the marshland'), though they didn't change the actual terrain type, just the province's prosperity.

Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Heir to the ThroneRome GoldMount & Blade: Warband500k club

Quote Originally Posted by vadermath View Post
    I remember terrain-changing events in CK (AKA 'draining the marshland'), though they didn't change the actual terrain type, just the province's prosperity.
    That's what I was thinking of. While the game is in development, I thought that it would be cool if the devs put in a function like { set_terrain = plains } or something like that.

Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDeus VultEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneMagicka
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengokuSword of the Stars II
    Supreme Ruler: Cold WarSupreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2Rome: Vae VictisCK2: Holy Knight
    500k club

I don't know why people are so obsessed how the map looks now.
    I am interested how it will look when the game comes out and then I will judge...

But I love it !!

All I care about is whether there will be a political map; I like my map filled with colours, makes the entire affair much more...immersive. I feel like a King who's looking at a map of Europe whilst making plans, forging ideas, and dealing with intrigue.

Map sucks =((((((((( can not make it a semblance of DW or Rome?

Quote Originally Posted by WolfSS View Post
    Map sucks =((((((((( can not make it a semblance of DW or Rome?
    It is alpha screenie, so it lacks some features, and I doubt this will be final version, cause some borders could use a little bit of editing
    But nevertheless I like it so far

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 31 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast