+ Reply to Thread

Thread: An Impossible Quest: VRRP on the Mac?

An Impossible Quest: VRRP on the Mac?

Hello everyone! First, allow me to apologize if this is the wrong place to ask this, but I don't know where else to attempt it.

I have a macintosh, the apparent bane of most Victoria 2 mods. I've installed some of the simpler ones, such as an early version of Rizzmond's colonization balancing mod, but my attempt at installing VRRP has resulted in moderately hilarious failure (or it would be from the outside, I'm sure). I don't know how Paradox's programming work, nor how the translation to Macintosh works, so I don't know where the breakdown would occur. I don't know how silly it is for me to ask here, but I may snap if I have to carefully copy files from place to place and check that they're all in the right place and then oh-ho, it doesn't work anyway.

Thank you all in advance!

It should be possible. Just install the mod files over the existing files like the guy in this thread did for PDM:http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...M-mod-on-a-Mac
    Economic theory: P → Q, P ∴ Q, QED
    Economic practice: P → Q ∴ {!P} = ∅, QED
    Economic research: P → Q ☡ ∴ Q, QED

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWdd6_ZxX8c

HoI AnthologyCrusader Kings IIDeus VultHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Supreme Ruler 2020 GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided

Since pretty much all mod files are "coded" in the internal code of the clausewitz engine, they should be just as readable by any system that can install the vanilla game. Though, I don't know much about cross-platform issues really, I'm just going by what (fairly little) I know about programming in general.
    So.. digital distribution equals communism?
    I disagree SO MUCH that I have to close this thread now.
    -Kallocain

Victoria 2 Realism & Rebalance Project 2010-2014, Requiescat in Pace

Europa Universalis III: In NomineMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome

You could, I suppose, find out where the "break" occurs by overwriting the vanilla files with VRRP files a few at a time, and see for which files the crash occurs. If all the rest can be added without problem and there are only a few "problem" cases, you should probably be able to manually do the required changes to the files in question. If you can find which files cause the break, I could help out with trying to see what can be done. No results are guaranteed though, I don't have a mac so I'd partly be feeling around in the dark.
    -Kallocain

This appears to be something to do with extracting straight from the zip to the game folder; the thread Keynes2.0 linked should be able to fix the problem.
    For every subtle and complicated question, there is a simple and straightforward answer, which is wrong.

Creator of PDM:PoD for Heart of Darkness: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...ownload-thread
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand Creator of '1792' for March of the Eagles: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...69074-1792-mod

Thank you all very much for replying!

I have already been doing the "replace like with like by hand" technique, but I think the issue may be the "up to date" part mentioned in the thread. Further analysis has shown that my v1.1 refuses update to v1.2, so I've done a bit of shuffling to get it to update on another computer and then put the updated version back on my computer. Hopefully, this'll solve the problem, and if not, I'll try the "one file at a time" technique."

Edit: FOR GREAT JUSTICE!~ It is done! Thank you all very much (again) for fulfilling my petty obsession and letting me enjoy this mod.
    Last edited by TheUnholyPotato; 02-02-2011 at 17:05.

If it was a non-obvious thing, could you perhaps write a small guide on how to get VRRP to work on a Mac? I could add it to the FAQ in the main mod thread for the benefit of other Mac users
    -Kallocain

Simplified and Stylish Realism Bob Ilyani's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided

What was the issue with VRRP on the Mac? I've been running versions of VRRP on my Mac since 1.1 and I've never once had an issue with installing and running the mod. I've had issues with other mods (PDM, Divergences, AoC) But never VRRP.

Okay, must've been a consequence of his difficulty with upgrading to 1.2 then.
    -Kallocain

Crusader Kings IIVictoria 2

Looking through this I'm trying to the the same myself, copying VRRP v1.161 in to the V2 folder. When starting it it always crashes though after the opening screens. Im using the Victoria 1.06 version front he Virtual programming site which I think is the newest one on there so I'm not sure how that correlates to the PC version of the game. Im assuming there is something very simple and very retarded I'm forgetting to do though, do any of you chaps have idea as to how to make it work?

The current VRRP version is made to work together with a specific (Aug 25th) beta of version 1.4 of V2. Unfortunately, I don't think they make Mac versions of public betas.
    -Kallocain

+ Reply to Thread