• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

keynes2.0

Field Marshal
45 Badges
Jun 27, 2010
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Rome Gold
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • March of the Eagles
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Hearts of Iron Anthology
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Darkest Hour
  • East India Company
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Age of Wonders II
  • Age of Wonders
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
  • Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Surviving Mars
  • BATTLETECH
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Pride of Nations
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
  • Cities: Skylines
I noticed today that if I pause a game or load it without starting the clock, the task manager shows it as already using about 1.5 GHz on a 1.87 GHz processor. Even if I leave it for five minutes to settle down, I don't see a change. I wonder if this issue appears for everyone else.

Please notice, this is NOT a thread to make general complaints about performance issues. I just want to know if this specific issue is exclusive to my system or not before taking it to the bug forum. So please do not complain about other performance related issues in this thread when a new thread is just a click away.

1.57ghz of 1.87ghz, is this based off a percentage?
When the game is paused for me it drops down, I cant give a number because my cpu changes clock speed depending on if it is being used (1.5ghz->3.3ghz), since v2 is single threaded my cpu has to OC itself on 1 thread using intel step + mobo software, if I have time later I will go set the clock speed and have a look to compare (like said while in game I can see % used through my g15, but I cant see its actual clock).

I do know howerver that when I pause window v2 that the cpu uses 0% (or as close too). Dont know if that helps.

01% CPU when paused

As another data point, I'm just learning V2, so I came here hoping to find some information about the game that isn't in the manual. Thus, the game is sitting paused right now in the background.

Dual 3Ghz processors, 4GB onboard ram.
Set at 1200x1000 resolution, 32-bit, full screen mode, I'm ALT-TAB'd out right now.

Task manager is sorted by CPU usage. V2game.exe is bouncing around at 00 or 01 percent of the total dual processor capacity. Never gets much above it. System Idle is almost always up above 90%, with FireFox occasionally jumping above 10% and some virus scanners and other defenses running a few percents.

Hope that helps.

Well I've tried this and what I get is a bit more complicated.

I can't see Task Manager when I have the game up, so I have to press ALT+TAB to get out of it. When I have the game paused, but minimised in the background there is no CPU usage from it (it just flickers from 0% to 1%). From this you would assume there was no usage at all while paused.

But, when I got back into the game (still have it paused) and then wait for a little while and go back to look at Task Manager, it shows that during that time the game was using 35% CPU resources. This makes sense, since there are a lot of things going on in the game, Flags fluttering, troops walking, ships sailing, province construction going on, etc.

All that has to be animated, so we would expect it to use some processor power. Whether that's an unusual amount or not, I can't say, but the game definitely uses the CPU when paused.

It's possible to put the game into windowed mode by going into the settings folder and changing "windowed = no" to "windowed = yes"

When you were seeing a computer usage of near zero was victoria the active window? Because the usage drops way down for me too if another window is the active window.

Last edited:
I believe it does. You are saying there is no cpu usage when paused, correct?

No, there is no CPU usage when the game is paused and minimized to the tray. When the game is paused in game I believe it still uses the cpu but only very slightly, if I move around the map or click things it uses cpu but otherwise after a few seconds it "calms down" and sits at low - no CPU usage. But like said if minimized it uses 0 cpu.

Edited by myself to keep the forum a peacefull and polite place

Last edited:
Oh, crap, your right. I didn't even realize that I was misusing the terminology. What I ment to say was that my 1.87 GHz processor was running at about 80% capacity when I had the game open and paused. I didn't bother to think that GHz was an inverse, not linear relationship. There isn't a need to be quite so condescending about a simple mistake however.

Oh, crap, your right. I didn't even realize that I was misusing the terminology. What I ment to say was that my 1.87 GHz processor was running at about 80% capacity when I had the game open and paused. I didn't bother to think that GHz was an inverse, not linear relationship. There isn't a need to be quite so condescending about a simple mistake however.

I simply mirrord your behavior in several post :p

If you do not like it, imagine easily others may also not like you when you act that way.

That said, allow me to delete my post, I suppose you learned your lesson enought :p

It's possible to put the game into windowed mode by going into the settings folder and changing "windowed = no" to "windowed = yes"

When you were seeing a computer usage of near zero was victoria the active window? Because the usage drops way down for me too if another window is the active window.
Well I couldn't find anything in the settings file that said "windowed =", but anyway, I can definitely confirm that the game uses no CPU resources when it is Paused and minimised, but does use it when you have it paused and open (maximised).

I can track the CPU usage on the Task Manager graph, it uses about 35% when paused, more when running. Also if you let it run when minimized it uses only 10%.