• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hi and welcome Hockefan,

Yeah I noticed. Sounds like the Pentagon we know and love. We'll only include at best one of them in the initial release, though.

Which do you guys think is the best one for the game?

Does Russia have anything comparable? Hmm, don't think so.

Freedom Class for game and crazy Independence for the Futuretech DLC.

As sexy as it is Inde I imagine would look out of place.

The first iron clads looked out of place. The first Dreadnaught class was unique. That said perhaps the more conventional vessel should be stuck with at release due it being a safer bet that it will make it into the American Navy.

Hi and welcome Hockefan,

Yeah I noticed. Sounds like the Pentagon we know and love. We'll only include at best one of them in the initial release, though.

Which do you guys think is the best one for the game?

Does Russia have anything comparable? Hmm, don't think so.

The Freedom class with an ASW module would be the best choice for the game, but I hope to see the Independence in a DLC too.
The Russian "counterpart" to the LCS is the Stereguscij class (Project 20380).
Will the Gorskov class for the russians be in the game too? And what about the DDG1000? If there is a post about this classes already , I apologize for my laziness to search for them.

Thank you for developing this promising game! The genre has been waiting for new masterpieces for quite some time now...
Just a few questions about the game since we've not seen the actual demos yet
1) Is the 3D part of the game just for visualizing the outcome or used for control/command purposes as well, meaning can the game be completely played with a tactical display/map only? Are the 3D models somehow involved in damage/outcome resolution or is damage computed behind the scenes and just visualized?
2) Compared to e.g. Harpoon games, is NWAC going to be a similar simulation of naval warfare with tons of heavy calculations under the hood or more closer to an action RTS with simplified battlemodelling?
3) Coastlines are going to be quite accurate, but are you enabling archipelagos as well for hiding purposes?
4) Have you decided the final unit list already? Did any Finnish units make it there? =)

Last edited:
Hello and welcome dzeijay,

Sorry for missing this posting earlier. Apparently a lot of threads were marked as read without me having seen them, so if anybody else feels we missed anything over the Gamescom week, feel free to bump it a bit.

Thank you for developing this promising game! The genre has been waiting for new masterpieces for quite some time now...
Just a few questions about the game since we've not seen the actual demos yet
1) Is the 3D part of the game just for visualizing the outcome or used for control/command purposes as well, meaning can the game be completely played with a tactical display/map only? Are the 3D models somehow involved in damage/outcome resolution or is damage computed behind the scenes and just visualized?
We are planning for the 3D view to be mainly visualisation. The interaction will take place mostly, if not exclusively, on the overview map. You should, however, receive very useful visual feedback about what is going on there, so it's not just eye candy.

2) Compared to e.g. Harpoon games, is NWAC going to be a similar simulation of naval warfare with tons of heavy calculations under the hood or more closer to an action RTS with simplified battlemodelling?
There's tons of heavy calculations under the hood, indeed :) But we think that this does not detract from an RTS approach to the gameplay mechanics.

Simple examples: a detection is calculated based on a huge array of factors, including sensor power, bearing, distance, size/noise, stealth, coating, other nearby units, depth/terrain, sun and moonlight, the weather and jamming. So it's not a simple matter of being within a set range. However, for a player, you detect it, or you don't :)

3) Coastlines are going to be quite accurate, but are you enabling archipelagos as well for hiding purposes?
That's the plan.

4) Have you decided the final unit list already? Did any Finnish units make it there? =)
The unit list is not completed, but the Hamina class missile boat is on it indeed.

The Finnish air force is using Hornets, which we'll probably not include. Maybe we'll make a wild assumption and guess that the Finnish are going to get some Super Hornets as a replacement :)

Simple examples: a detection is calculated based on a huge array of factors, including sensor power, bearing, distance, size/noise, stealth, coating, other nearby units, depth/terrain, sun and moonlight, the weather and jamming. So it's not a simple matter of being within a set range. However, for a player, you detect it, or you don't :)

Now we're talking! Making the simulation as real as possible is my biggest wish for the game. It just feels so much better knowing that there are lots of things affecting instead of a plain simple dice roll. I still bear the scars of classic Empire and Empire Deluxe games and old Civilizations where the weakest transporter unit could sink a battleship with a bunch of luck... but then of course, they were not war simulations.

The unit list is not completed, but the Hamina class missile boat is on it indeed.

The Finnish air force is using Hornets, which we'll probably not include. Maybe we'll make a wild assumption and guess that the Finnish are going to get some Super Hornets as a replacement :)

Thank you for that. I wish you'd include the standard C/D hornet as well, maybe with the same 3d model but different stats, but on the other hand, I wonder how many of the current 4G and 4.5G fighters are used by the game's warring countries anymore around year 2030...

Will there be weapons loadouts in NWAC including laser-guided bombs? Also, I suggest making the AS-16 the only anti-ship weapon of the Backfire and Bear in NWAC, since the AS-4 is no longer in use.

It's funny that you mention this. We started NWAC some time ago, and a lot of the weapons and sensors we put into it are since reported as becoming obsolete. We'll surely make the most recent weapons available, some of which have a pretty sick range, btw.

But it's not unfeasible in a real war that the new weapons run out and old weapon stocks are brought back into play, so we'll probably keep some of the old loadouts as well.