Magicka is an Internet Connection killer?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I also have this problem. When i click, 'host' game it immediatly disconnects me from vent and from other net services, however it comes back after a second and people start joining my game. This didn't happen until the most recent patch.

Software can absolutely cause a restart due to a crash, it's actually pretty easy to cause.
No, "regular" software can't. It can cause an error and, depending on your Windows settings, this can cause your computer to reboot. (Yeah, Windows is software too, therefore "regular software".)
But then it is Windows that reboots the computer, and NOT the game. Now, Alcatar didn't state what Windows settings he currently has. Therefore, I picked the one malfunction that might damage the computer. The other one, "your computer restarts on errors, d'uh", seems a bit boring, considering the amount of errors Magicka currently throws.

If I'm allowed to speak: "one time my entire computer crashed. it just turned off completely, restarting itself" sounds like your PC overheated. A game usually can't restart anything, especially without asking. Your motherboard, however, might reboot if i.e. your CPU gets to hot.
But Magicka shouldn't turn your computer into an oven, especially if it "eats [others] for breakfast". Your fans of coolness +2 should keep everything at a nice level, no matter whether Magicka is causing an endless loop and using 100% of your CPU or not.

I can imagine that Magicka caused your computer to use 100% and your fans failed. Or one of your fans. Anyway, at least a mistake on both sides.

The only other possibility I can think of ad hoc is that your PC didn't restart by itself.
)

Well that's a fantastic evaluation Elbi, too bad you don't read threads properly.. 38dedo mentioned his PC restarting, not I.
Sadly this thread is just becoming aggro material now? Christ.

Re-read my opening post if you want to know my issue, thought that would have been done by someone posting so much.

To be honest, I read Naga's quote (someone talking about the PC restarting), Naga's post (that it's not the game's fault) and then your answer (that yours is better than Naga's). I guessed, since you defended your PC, that it was somehow attacked, yet it wasn't. Noone ever said your PC might be too weak for Magicka, still you talked about how awesome it is. Yeah, I jumped to conclusions there.

Your core issue was explained by the time the Monk posted this. Most of your other issues are directly connected to malfunctioning client<->server communication. Client says he got the weapon, while the server still lets it lie around / errors in collision detection, resulting in players falling "longer", thereby receiving more damage or weapons falling through the floor, etc.

Meh fair point, but as he was defending the game and attacking the guy who had every issue the same as I except the addition of his PC actually restarting itself - which I didn't read before I replied - I was stating that my hardware nor it's environment could be the reason of the issues at hand. And concerning his PC restarting your statement that it could (and probably would be by my experience also, his hardware overheating).

My reply to Naga being an attempt to ensure the thread doesn't become (what I have seen all too many of in the past) a "your PC is at fault" solution. (I also hate people who just throw it out there and ignore the thread from thereon - which might not be the case here though - although his language may suggest it).

And yes, I'm of the same mind as you are in your latest post as to the problems' cause. Just a couple of conclusions being jumped to, fair play.

Magicka 1.3.3.4 is out.
A friend connected to my game without a problem, then after some game glitching (skipping the tutorial and then a "force" spell pushing him back, causing the tutorial start to re-trigger and we both ended up back there. Then progress led us to be stuck behind the closed door (but suicide and reviving in front of the door bypassed this).

Because of lag, we wanted to see if he could be a better host, sadly my game crashed when I tried to join his game - as did my Hamachi, Skype and Steam's internet connection - although my PC internet connection still seemed to be active.

Now everytime I start Magicka, the game simply terminates as if I had exited it.
Sometimes I get to click "online play" before the CTD, but mostly the CTD occurs the moment I've skipped the 3 intro screens.

Fantastic. Some more issues.

I had similar problems described in this thread. Pressing refresh button ingame, would make the modem go berserk and find no servers and stop allowing any web traffic trough for about 1min. The modem has worked fine for years untill few months ago it did the same with certain other game. I figured the modem might be getting near its end cus i had heard people with poor quality modems complaining about pinging servers beeing impossible in few other games. So i went and got new one, and all the problems are gone.

Is there something to do to improve how clients get the serverinfos? I dont know.
Will the quality/age of your modem affect these kind of things? For sure.

Last edited:
When I host games there is no lag what-so-ever UNTIL someone places some mines and another player hits them. Once a player is thrown by mines, everyone desyncs and people start falling through the floor and walking around underneath the game.

guys......like I stated on page 1 of this thread.....

*most* connection issues right now have nothing to do with one's router or modem configuration etc. but rather with the fact that the "connection-state" is not being tracked on traffic sent by the game which (in a nutshell) ends with many models of older routers and/or modems being DOS'd. When the router catches up or is reset things start working again. One solution would be buying a special "gaming router" (which can survive this type of "loose netcode"), but the REAL solution is that the DEVS need some revising of their netcode. That's all.....

Thanks mate, my only continued discussion is a new issue (CTD) which has occurred in 1.3.3.4 and now 1.3.3.5 for me. I'll make a new thread.

And as I said before, thanks a lot mate :)

Going to necro this post, since it's still happening to me as well and the Other Side Of The Coin DLC was released just today. Given what was previously in this thread, I'm not going to argue the point that the problem is user/hardware error with people who clearly don't know better.

I know the router I'm running isn't exactly top notch, just your run of the mill consumer Linksys trash, but it's obvious that Magicka has a bad habit of bringing network infrastructure to it's knees. I am having problems where games failed to load where they previously succeeded, levels or party wipes causing the screen to go black and stay there, and during/after playing the ping on the network infrastructure shown in-game only gets worse whereas it was running perfectly smoothly for days before.

Port forwarding seems to improve the ping time slightly but not alleviate the issue and a DMZ zone has no effect.

Please don't thread necro, it's against the rules. You can open a new thread in the tech support form, if you like.

Status
Not open for further replies.