• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Apart from what's already suggested in the posts on page 2 of this thread, I can't say I have much help to offer. (post regarding triple buffering and the one with "extreme low resolution")

Your HD 5450 is quite a bit below the required 8800/X1900 cards. It's more like a GeForce 6800 or ATI X1650, but with more memory. So that explains why you need to keep all settings on low. What's good, and probably help you a lot, is your 1G dedicated memory. Still, being "barely adequate" will leave you open for more gaming trouble then if you had hardware that meets required. If you by any chance had tested your hardware on a site like "Can You Run It", and passed. That only shows how little trust one should give such a test.

You might consider updating graphic drivers to the 11.11 version and se if that can help you with the purple flashing.

The online part is quite tricky to give any advice about. Generally:. Magicka will need a fairly good internet connection to work properly. Most important if you host. Host should also have a low ping from/to clients, and make use of the filter settings to avoid unnecessary server info download. When all this is in place, the MP part usually works just fine. But as soon as any of the above have a "bad day", desync and other issues will be right around the corner. http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1739191

Anyone else ?

Well, I would recommend you to visit a board more dedicated to graphics then one specific game. It's not only the card to consider. You might need to update your PSU also, high spec cards tend to use a lot of power. And naturally you will need the card to do well with other games also.

Member "stinkytaco" over @ steam actually did some testing. So maybe a 295 GTX ? If that can be squeezed inside your budget. It's a quite expencive card, and quite a bit "over the top" just for Magicka, but maybe you can find a used one.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?p=21811076#post21811076
So far with what we have tested, Nvidia chipsets, Two 9600 sli enabled cards or a single dual GPU card 2XX series and up, plugged into a 620 nvidia chipset motherboard from Gigabit (AGP-16x slot) seems to be the best so far. The SLI system with two Dell OEM 8800 GTX, 1 gig cards in SLI mode worked, but was a bit sluggish after doing the Triple buffering and V-sync trick. The 8800 GTX worked just fine before hand.

Graphics cards come in way too many flavors to just suggest one. Our best results so far has been with a 295 GTX 1 gig card from XSI. That does not mean that it is the best choice though.

I shop at newegg.com for my personal hardware. It is best to check out the cards in your price range, then go and read as many reviews possible for them. This will still not ensure that Magicka will run well for you. Like I said before , there are just way too many card manufacturers out there to test every one.

Boards dedicated to graphics ? Like this perhaps:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/forum-15-208.html
Before you post a question. Find out as much as you can about your present hardware. Apart from DXdiag, like connections on your motherboard or what specific GPU-card your now using, power of PSU and so on. Post what's relevant to your question.

The sligthly famous Graphics Card Hierarchy Chart : http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews...e-gtx-560-ti-gaming-graphics-card,2857-7.html

Compare cards, just to get a hint: http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/video_lookup.php?gpu=GeForce+GTX+580

Most important, take your time. AND consider the rest of your computer, is it worth upgrading graphics.

Hey, I bought Magicka just a few weeks ago... although my machine can run the game (I checked if it could before I bought it AND re-checked on one of these "can my PC run this game" sites). I tried editing the priorities in my nVidia control panel, but I have a single graphics card. Here's some of my dxdiag which could help :

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 4/1/2012, 21:01:14
Machine name: GAMER-PC
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.111118-2330)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model: M61PME-S2P
BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) 8750 Triple-Core Processor (3 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
Memory: 3072MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 3072MB RAM
Page File: 1866MB used, 4276MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

------------
DxDiag Notes
------------
Display Tab 1: No problems found.
Sound Tab 1: No problems found.
Sound Tab 2: No problems found.
Input Tab: No problems found.

--------------------
DirectX Debug Levels
--------------------
Direct3D: 0/4 (retail)
DirectDraw: 0/4 (retail)
DirectInput: 0/5 (retail)
DirectMusic: 0/5 (retail)
DirectPlay: 0/9 (retail)
DirectSound: 0/5 (retail)
DirectShow: 0/6 (retail)

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 210
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce 210
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0A65&SUBSYS_34D51458&REV_A2
Display Memory: 1746 MB
Dedicated Memory: 466 MB
Shared Memory: 1279 MB
Current Mode: 1280 x 1024 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
Monitor Model: SyncMaster
Monitor Id: SAM01B7
Native Mode: 1280 x 1024(p) (60.020Hz)
Output Type: HD15
Driver Name: nvd3dum.dll,nvwgf2um.dll,nvwgf2um.dll
Driver File Version: 8.17.0012.9610 (English)
Driver Version: 8.17.12.9610
DDI Version: 10.1
Driver Model: WDDM 1.1
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 3/1/2012 02:59:00, 15009600 bytes

Hey, I bought Magicka just a few weeks ago... although my machine can run the game (I checked if it could before I bought it AND re-checked on one of these "can my PC run this game" sites). I tried editing the priorities in my nVidia control panel, but I have a single graphics card. Here's some of my dxdiag which could help :

The problem with a site like "Can you run it" is that it will, at best, tell you if you have the features required. But very little about performance. Almost all cards produced after 2008 will have the features needed. But quite some are way behind the 8800 in performance.

What you might have done instead, just to show what a few minutes of google and comparing will give.
Like this: http://www.hwcompare.com/872/geforce-8800-gtx-vs-geforce-gt-210/
The "Theoretically overall performance" of an 8800 GTX is 1250% of a GT 210.

I'm sorry, but the 210 is nowhere near the power of a GeForce 8800.
You will need to set everything as low as possible. Maybe play widowed. Still the 210 will struggle.

The problem with a site like "Can you run it" is that it will, at best, tell you if you have the features required. But very little about performance. Almost all cards produced after 2008 will have the features needed. But quite some are way behind the 8800 in performance.

What you might have done instead, just to show what a few minutes of google and comparing will give.
Like this: http://www.hwcompare.com/872/geforce-8800-gtx-vs-geforce-gt-210/
The "Theoretically overall performance" of an 8800 GTX is 1250% of a GT 210.

I'm sorry, but the 210 is nowhere near the power of a GeForce 8800.
You will need to set everything as low as possible. Maybe play widowed. Still the 210 will struggle.

Argh. that really sucks... ): Guess I'll just have to upgrade my graphics card. the problem is that this PC lied to me ; it has a sticker on its side claiming it runs on a 9400 GT. Oh well...

Argh. that really sucks... ): Guess I'll just have to upgrade my graphics card. the problem is that this PC lied to me ; it has a sticker on its side claiming it runs on a 9400 GT. Oh well...
OK. Although lying, it's not by that much. Sure the 9400 is a bit better then the 210, but there is no huge difference. The problem with all these different series is that you can't just "go by number". As example: GeForce 9800 GTX, GTS 250, GTS 150, 8800 GTX, GTS 450, 8800 GTS, GT 555M and GTS 240. All have, roughly, very similar performance.

this game is running like absolute shit no matter what settings i use.

i5-2500k
8gb 1600 ddr3 ram
gtx 460
windows 7

glad i wasted money on a game i can't run

I'm assuming you don't actually want any help since you're being so obtuse. If you really did I would suggest opening a thread in the bugs section with your dxdiag information and a detailed description of your issue.
For all we know you're running a laptop with 2 gfx cards and it's defaulting to the intel HD card. Or your drivers could be 17 years old. Or maybe you're actually complaining about online gameplay and you have a terrible net connection with the host. Etc... guess we'll never know.

zenstar is quite correct. 17 year old drivers on a GTX 460 will definitely make Magicka run like crap.

Seriously. If your using a resolution of 1920 x 1200 or below, and Magicka doesn't run smooth, something is wrong. With those specs Magicka should run just fine. By the very limited information you supply mcderpinson, I'd say your using the i5 graphics. This is a great game and absolutely no wasted money. Follow zenstar's advice and let us try to help you.

eh, i apologize for being a douche about it. i was just super frustrated.

anyway, i'm definitely not using integrated graphics.
on my graphics card monitor (evga precision), it shows that the discrete card is being used. (anywhere from 60-80%)

running at 1600x900 using and 296.10 drivers which are the most recent.

i'll post a thread in the tech section with my dxdiag info

again, sorry for being a dick

eh, i apologize for being a douche about it. i was just super frustrated.

anyway, i'm definitely not using integrated graphics.
on my graphics card monitor (evga precision), it shows that the discrete card is being used. (anywhere from 60-80%)

running at 1600x900 using and 296.10 drivers which are the most recent.

i'll post a thread in the tech section with my dxdiag info

again, sorry for being a dick

Cool. hopefully we'll be able to see something and help out (or the devs will see something and be able to say something or patch it or something).

Hello,

I just bought Magicka today but the game performance makes it unplayable for me.

I am running the game on a current gen mid-end machine:

Windows 7 (32-bit)
Intel i5-2500K
4096MB RAM
DirectX 11
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti (2 GB) w. 2 Displays (1st: 1920*1200 + 2nd: 1280*1024)

I tried the workarounds using Dxtory and D3DOverrider but none worked for me. My drivers are up to date, the systems runs great with new titles. Is there an actual solution/fix in the works or did I just waste some money? :)

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Hello,

I just bought Magicka today but the game performance makes it unplayable for me.

I am running the game on a current gen mid-end machine:

Windows 7 (32-bit)
Intel i5-2500K
4096MB RAM
DirectX 11
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti (2 GB) w. 2 Displays (1st: 1920*1200 + 2nd: 1280*1024)

I tried the workarounds using Dxtory and D3DOverrider but none worked for me. My drivers are up to date, the systems runs great with new titles. Is there an actual solution/fix in the works or did I just waste some money? :)

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

read this: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?522273-If-you-have-a-bug-or-a-crash...
and tehn make a new thread in the tech support & bugs subforum. Hopefully someone will recognise the issue and help, or the devs will see it and be able to figure it out.

Cheers

You should be able to play just fine.
The "1920*1200 " could be a problem, try adjusting down a notch. But if I remember correctly, it was resolution above 1920*1200 that made magicka crash. Not about bad performance ...

Also, if you haven't read this post, do: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1835437
About using triple buffering, and more.

Or maybe you found a new 2-screen problem? So, if you can't fix this, do post a thread like zenstar suggested.

Edit:
And oh yes, a question. Does running Magicka windowed make any huge difference in performance?

Last edited: