• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Hamanu

Captain
42 Badges
Apr 5, 2006
  • Surviving Mars
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For The Glory
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Rome Gold
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
I don't know if this has been mentioned but I think it would be cool if you could force an enemy to maintain or change his succession law. Say you married your son to the only daughter of a neighbor and you wanted to ensure that your eldest grandson inherits even if said neighbor were to have a son at a later date by forcing him to maintain female succession.

I like the idea, but even if with inheritance allowed through the female line or by women (the former was much more common than the latter) wouldn't his son have a better claim? This doesn't mean that it is a bad idea; it should be possible to force him to make him accept his grandson (from the female line) instead of his son. Kind of like the treaty between Stephen of Blois and 'empress' Matilda, which made Henry d'Anjou, the son of Matilda, the heir of Stephen instead of Stephen's own sons.
However this will probably not always apply for all titles, for instance they may lose the kingdom with the royal demesne*, but are allowed to keep an ancestral duchy and/or county(/counties).

* = I hope that a distinction will be made between royal and personal/dynastic demesne, the latter may become part of the royal demesne after a dynasty goes extinct.

I like the idea, but even if with inheritance allowed through the female line or by women (the former was much more common than the latter) wouldn't his son have a better claim? This doesn't mean that it is a bad idea; it should be possible to force him to make him accept his grandson (from the female line) instead of his son. Kind of like the treaty between Stephen of Blois and 'empress' Matilda, which made Henry d'Anjou, the son of Matilda, the heir of Stephen instead of Stephen's own sons.
However this will probably not always apply for all titles, for instance they may lose the kingdom with the royal demesne*, but are allowed to keep an ancestral duchy and/or county(/counties).

* = I hope that a distinction will be made between royal and personal/dynastic demesne, the latter may become part of the royal demesne after a dynasty goes extinct.

You answered your own question with the example of Henry I :) This would be explained that you would force the nobles of said realm to swear fealty to your grandson regardless of succession laws. These laws were, by the way, rarely set in stone and immutable. Maybe you'd have events firing afterwards that would make life harder for your grandson. but that's the fun of the game.