• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(256603)

Recruit
1 Badges
Jan 27, 2011
  • Magicka
[Feature request] Important issues to fix

Multiplayer browsing

Currently trying to join a multiplayer game is very difficult because of the server browser. That is really only appropriate for games where you can join multiplayer games in progress (Half-Life, Quake, etc.) or where there's usually some time spent before the host starts the game.

But in Magicka, someone can host a game, wait a few seconds for people to join, then start the game. The browser might list that game before it became full, but when someone tries to join it, the attempt fails since the game launched already, or possibly the host left. The point is these games are in the waiting state for far too short a time to be worth listing, especially since the list does not query each game for status updates.

What should be done is a beefed-up Quick Start feature where you can for example indicate you're looking for Adventure games with a ping of less than 150 and want to start anywhere between level 4 and 6. Then a "Searching..." prompt appears with a cancel button, and you wait until a game matching your parameters is found, at which point you join it and are immediately assigned a slot (no having to click "Join") to reserve your place in that server.

Currently 90% of the games I click on either launch or disconnect before I have a chance to join them. I click them, get the loading prompt for a few seconds, then nothing.

Also the host should be able to choose a level to start in, less than or equal to the level he's currently at with his wizard. I know a lot of people want this.

Cancelling spells
Often I might charge up some components but then something changes and I realize I need to do something different. There's no way to cancel the currently charged components aside from either selecting opposites one-by-one to erase each component (like fire-earth-life being cancelled with arcane-lightning-cold) or by firing it somewhere, which can kill you if there's a lightning component and you've gotten wet, or kill a teammate, etc.

I think Backspace should delete the last charged component and Delete should clear all components.

Component-entry delay
The game seems to have a delay before a new component can be charged, probably partly to prevent cheating such as with AutoHotkey as well as to reduce the effectiveness of keyboards so they're more balanced with gamepads. But I find it really annoying. I would prefer if you can enter the letters as quickly as you can and the delay happens after to try to cast it. So if a five-component cast should take one second to enter, and it's entered in 0.4 seconds, then after the user clicks the mouse/spacebar to cast the spell, there would be a 0.6 second pause before the spell is actually cast. Or something.

Last edited:
I'm sorry but I disagree completely re: cancelling spells, and I'm going to sound very snarky when I do it so just be ready for that, sorry.

Stacking elements by accident and having to find something to do with them IS part of the system. If you don't believe me, think about it. The game starts with a nice little tutorial, but when it's all said and done you're basically starting the game with 8 elements. That's a lot. You also start with a ZILLION ways to combine them into stuff. Uh... that's also a lot. You're gonna screw up. A lot. You're going to have trouble with the system, and cast things wrong, and you might often die as a result, and this is all intentional. Oh, and if you don't believe me, the very first spell someone hands you is Revive.

Wizards die. All the time. Often three times before breakfast.

I always just fire unintended elements somewhere unimportant and start over, and if I screw up and die, I know it's because I did something stupid, and then I laugh and start over. The ability to royally hose yourself and your friends is completely intentional, and that part of the game needs no fixing.

I'm sorry but I disagree completely re: cancelling spells, and I'm going to sound very snarky when I do it so just be ready for that, sorry.

Stacking elements by accident and having to find something to do with them IS part of the system. If you don't believe me, think about it. The game starts with a nice little tutorial, but when it's all said and done you're basically starting the game with 8 elements. That's a lot. You also start with a ZILLION ways to combine them into stuff. Uh... that's also a lot. You're gonna screw up. A lot. You're going to have trouble with the system, and cast things wrong, and you might often die as a result, and this is all intentional. Oh, and if you don't believe me, the very first spell someone hands you is Revive.

Wizards die. All the time. Often three times before breakfast.

I always just fire unintended elements somewhere unimportant and start over, and if I screw up and die, I know it's because I did something stupid, and then I laugh and start over. The ability to royally hose yourself and your friends is completely intentional, and that part of the game needs no fixing.

ure so right. same if you use a logitech keyboard and create macros for spells

I agree with Kermix.

Yes you should make mistakes!

But there are already options to "cancelling spells" by intention.
You can _always_ purge an element by conjourning it's opposite.
Expect for shield you can do "cancel" all elemets the way down to zero!

Ask a teammember to use the Magicka "Nullify" - so you lose alle our conjours with an instant cast.

As other posts at this board stated to have " shortcuts " or " cancelling " mechanics - it would simply destroy game mechanics and intentions.
You can do a lot of spam casts alreasy - having someone in a coop game who's casting the Lightning Magicka all the time due to a "shortcut" to cast a magicka - it would make the game completly senseless ^^

It's okay for me if he is repeating it all over the time, because he will meet an opponent who immune to that spell or simply he can't keep up recasting it to defeat a whole bunch of gobblins :p

Last edited:
ure so right. same if you use a logitech keyboard and create macros for spells

Well you will always have some kind of ... 3rd party in every game.

Cheat, Trainer, Macro Programms ... and yes logitech keyboards.
But those aren't intended - but hardly to prevent someone from using it.

Besides that - you don't need to change the game. It wasn't meant that way and if someone uses a makro it is still not an argument to change the gameplay.

Also, in my experience it looks like only identical elements have any sort of "delay" on them. I tried ASFF and FASF and the second one triggered faster (since I wasn't trying to make two fire elements in rapid succession). They're identical except for the order. 5x Earth will still take a second or two to put together.

this

and the makro-thingy was just a marginal note. May it come up in another topic. Cheats and Trainers will be detected by VAC sooner or (probably) later. Logitech not. But this are problems any pvp game have. thats why i prefer to play with friends

Actually, I think there's something in this game to mess that up as well. I have a programmable Logitech G11 keyboard and most of the time I get incorrect combo's instead of the ones I recorded (especially in longer combo's, like the arcane/steam/steam/lightning/lightning beam). Then again, I dislike PvP and play with friends only who know I have this thing and they're fine with it, so I affect no one.

My biggest handicap is aiming with the mouse anyway, hence one of my gaming-nicks is "General Direction". ;)