• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Blinkingsky

Second Lieutenant
40 Badges
Dec 16, 2010
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Crusader Kings Complete
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Tyranny - Tales from the Tiers
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Tyranny: Gold Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis III
Venezia!-A Venice AAR

'Ello everybody! I've been reading the AAR's here for a while, and decided that I was going to make one myself. Of course, me being me, I am horribly indecisive(you should see me trying to decide whether its a good idea to invade France as England-takes me hours to decide every time!)and as a result I am leaving it up to you, the people, to choose a country for me! No, I'm not going to post a poll, I'm just hoping you guys can agree on some nation that won't have me crying in a corner from being owned so quickly. Now of course I have a couple of ground rules for the vote:

1)No ridiculously hard nations. I'm a noob, not Prawnstar!
2)No Ottoman Empire-I have horrid luck with them(all neighboring countries declare on me when I have great relations with them :eek:)
3)No France or England-don't want things to be too easy :p

Oh yea, nearly forgot the rules for the actual AAR:

1)No cheating, modding, or save reloading(unless it is extreme circumstances)

Err, if anybody can think of more post them on here, cause atm i'm CLUELESS(then again, since when have I not been? :p)

Also, I need some guidance on how to post screenies and maybe even take them(only the taking part if the print screen button won't work very efficiently, and I suspect it won't.)

Alright, I've droned on for long enough *senses 30 possible readers already left*, so start voting!

Oh yea, and vote ends on January 27th at noon Eastern time(or later. depends when I check)

Last edited:
I would recommned Venice. Its lots of fun. Its not weak, but not so powerfull that its victory is a forgone conclusion.

Start off my expanding into Greece, building a great navy.

I use image shack to upload my photos. First load them to imagshack, and then use to the forum imbed code to put them as pictures here.

Also, I need some guidance on how to post screenies and maybe even take them(only the taking part if the print screen button won't work very efficiently, and I suspect it won't.)
For posting, I would suggest getting a free photobucket or imageshack account, upload your screenshots and insert the url of the uploaded photos into brackets.

For taking screenshots, F11 in EU3 makes a screenshot that is saved in the "screenshots" map in your EU3 map. I would suggest converting the .bmp into a .jpg or even better a .png file to reduce file size.

Everybody who has voted Venice: Never played them before. We shall see if they win(forgot to mention that voting ends on the 29th at about noon eastern time, or 5pm GMT)

Knul and Dogia: Thanks! I'll see if that works.

Zozo: I'm not sure why, but my luck has just been HORRID with the Ottomans. I'll start off alright, then all of a sudden everybody DOW's on me and I get mega pwned and split up :(

Last edited:
Alright, so the vote is going to be over 15 minutes early due to the fact that unless there is a HUGE swarm of votes for another country, then Venice is going to win. So as a result this AAR is now a Venice AAR! First update will probably be later today.

Update 1

Alright, so as you guys have voted, I shall be playing as Venice, so lets get things started!

Ok, so lets look at our situation....

EU3_13.jpg
EU3_14.jpg
EU3_15.jpg
EU3_16.jpg

Alright, so we are investing almost everything into stability, have a +.10 inflation reduction advisor and a +6.0 trade tech advisor, an excellent admiral, and we are a merchant republic with a slider move available. Let's use that move now on centralization.

EU3_17.jpg

Ah well. Its much better than a large rebellion.

Now lets see what the mission is....

EU3_18.jpg

Bah. They may be weak, but Aquilea has some powerful allies and is in the HRE, so i'll have to wait until there is a weaker emperor to do anything about this mission :mad:.

At this point, I actually get a few alliance offers

EU3_19.jpg

EU3_20.jpg
EU3_21.jpg

I accept the first two but decline the third one for obvious reasons. A couple months later....

EU3_22.jpg

YES!!! They are the HRE, so having them as my ally will help me immensely. Now I just need to manage my merchants and raise a couple of armies and i'm set for battle!

First, the merchants

EU3_24.jpg

Now to raise my ar...

EU3_25.jpg

Oh come on! I have to decline due to the fact that I can't take the stability hit right now, which means that I have lost the HRE as my ally. BUT, its a good thing that I did decline, because when I went to see who they were at war with, it showed me this:

EU3_26-1.jpg

Not only did Aquilea not back up their ally, but Hungary is also busy fighting off a bunch of other people, so they wouldn't really have been much help for me.

Eh, I got the Papal State to replace Hungary as one of my allies early in 1401.

EU3_27.jpg

At this point, I decided to get some exclusive trade rights in order to boost my CoT's trade value

EU3_28.jpg

EU3_29.jpg

A few months later in December of 1401, Achaea(who is in my Sphere of Influence), gets DOW'd on by Byzantium. I decided to join in defending them against Byzantium and Epirus.

EU3_32-1.jpg

When I send my first 3 troops over, I beat back an Byzantine attack on Achaea

EU3_33-1.jpg

While my troops were resting, Bavaria sent me a call to arms.

EU3_34-1.jpg

Trust me, i'm not THAT crazy to accept that call to arms!

After that suicidal call to arms message, I invaded Morea, which is held by Byzantium:

EU3_35.jpg

During the siege, Byzantium offered white peace, which I declined. Epirus tried to make me to release any vassals I had AND pay about 10 ducats. I declined not only because I wasn't surrendering anything, but also because of this:

EU3_38.jpg

Yea, that's their only province :rofl:

Eventually, after Austria became the HRE, and Epirus' failed attempt at offering me 1 ducat in order to get out of the war, I settled for this:

EU3_41.jpg

In order to bring down that minor infamy even faster, I filled my last advisor slot with somebody who reduces infamy by .05 per year(its horrid, but better than nothing.) I also attempt to get Trevisto into the HRE, but it got rejected :mad:. I also got a new ruler due to elections:

EU3_45.jpg

Military goes down by two, but administration goes up by three, so its alright. With the administration 8 now, I enact the liquor act. Why? 'Cause I like to have cash to rain down upon whoever I want to. Also at this point I get Trevisto accepted into the HRE :). The Ottomans also see fit to warn me, but I take it with a grain of salt since they like to warn everybody but not do anything at all.

EU3_49.jpg

I am about to reach the picture limit, so the update shall be continued in my next post right after this one!

Last edited:
Update 1 continued

After the warning, I got Achaea to become one of my allies so that I could DOW on people who DOW on them since I had to let them go from my Sphere of Influence due to crap prestige.

EU3_50.jpg

The Papal State also deemed it fit to drag me into a war with Urbino and lose 2 stability, since I don't wanna lose them. This pic sums up the entire war:

EU3_51.jpg

Less than 2 months later, I finally get Government tech level 4. I take the National Bank for my first NI.

EU3_52.jpg

EU3_53.jpg

I decide to send a missionary to Morea at this point so I can slowly start to make all of my provinces in the area Catholic. When I go to do this, I notice that the Ottomans have some forces at my border AND annexed Epirus.

EU3_54.jpg

Nothing happened to me, though. So for over a year nothing else happened, until October 4th, 1408, when I have my first ever rebellion in this game in Albania.

EU3_55.jpg

This is no biggy. All I need to do is load up my cavalr-

EU3_56.jpg

Oh dear

Random Feedback

LeCare Indeed they are. Why can't they leave me in peace? :(

Dogia He isn't. He died about 3 months before they DOW'd. I think they were waiting for him to die. I'ma screwed! :(

.....unless they get hit with my bad luck!

Last edited:
Update 2-I get my ass kicked and how I rebound

Alright so needless to say the Ottomans kicked the living hell outta me and Achaea(they were one of the nations to join in the defense of me). They annexed them and I was forced to give up both of my vassals and lose some territory, as shown here:

EU3_65.jpg

EU3_66.jpg

But not everything at this point was bad. Right after the war ended, I managed to get Venice integrated into the HRE, so as a result, I am now a member of the HRE!

EU3_68.jpg

This is going to help me IMMENSELY, due to the fact that now I can DOW on Aquilea or ANY HRE country with a casus belli and not have the Emperor come and pull a HULK SMASH!!! on me. Also, should the Ottomans DOW on me again, I shall have his backing :D

When election time came around again, I decided to replace my current ruler with the military candidate. He has 5 admin, 4 diplo, and 9 military!

EU3_73.jpg

Of course, 3 months later Genoa decides to embargo me, as does The Hansa, meaning i'm left out of 2 of the better CoT'S :mad:

EU3_74.jpg

11 months later in February of 1417, Naples DOW's on the Papal State, which calls me to help them, which I do. These 2 pics sum up the year-long war:

EU3_75.jpg

EU3_77.jpg

3 months later, Genoa decides to guarantee me. Kinda odd since they are still embargoing me :confused:

EU3_78.jpg

As soon as I got my troops home, I decided to invade Aquilea, but not before making his allies give me military access so that the -5 stability hit will discourage them from helping Aquilea out.

EU3_79.jpg

Unfortunately, my awesome military Doge dies the next month, so now I gotta put up with this guy:

EU3_80.jpg

:(

My slider movement comes in April, so I move one step towards land since my manpower regeneration is god-awful. Of course, naval peeps don't like that, so I lose enough ducats invested in naval to send me to the negatives :mad:

EU3_81.jpg

I DOW on Aquilea 6 months later since they were preoccupied with another enemy. I charge my 7000 cavalry army to siege the 1 province I want. Alas, Aquilea finished the siege they were doing and marched over and beat my army back off of the siege just before it could finish. Luckily, I had military access into Austria, which they didn't, so I retreated into Austrian territory in order to save myself from total defeat.Once my men's morale recovered, we hit a low-on-morale Aquilea stack to knock them out of Trevisto.

EU3_82.jpg

Since Milan(the alliance leader for their side) wouldn't take white peace, I had to concede defeat to get out of the war.

EU3_83.jpg

For the next year and couple months, nothing happens, until my current Doge decides to get assassinated by probably a relative of Ezio Auditore in December of 1421, and as thus I had to get a new one. Luckily, he's better than the old one :)

EU3_85.jpg

After that, nothing of note really happens until October of 1423, when lo and behold, Milan decides to guarantee me. Kinda odd, if you ask me, since we are, you know, mortal enemies XD

EU3_87.jpg

Alas, at this point I decide to cancel my mission to conquer part of Aquilea due to the fact its too damn annoying for now >.<

EU3_90.jpg

Of course, for my next mission, it just has to be conquer part of Milan, a nation possibly stronger than Aquilea

EU3_91.jpg

Luckily, they haven't researched into land tech AT ALL, while I am level 5, so that should hopefully give me an advantage.

EU3_92.jpg

A few years later, on December 1st, 1425 I decide to elect a new Doge, who is luckily even better than my old one

EU3_95.jpg

Of course, since the Ottomans hate me, 6 months later they fund a revolt in Albania -.-

EU3_96.jpg

I crush it swiftly, but it makes me worried that they will DOW on me soon.

Fast forward 3 years, and I gain an Alliance CB on Naples since the Papal State went to defend an ally of theirs. Like before, these two pics sum up the war nicely:

EU3_99.jpg

EU3_102.jpg

Did you expect anything new? :p

All is quiet for a year, until I decide to act on my mission of gaining some Milanese territory while Genoa is beating the crap outta them. Aragon also decides to give me some war subsidies.

EU3_106.jpg

Alas, as I am helping the Papal State to siege the last Milanese territory, my +.1 inflation reduction advisor dies. :(

EU3_107.jpg

I shall continue this update in my next post

4 months after my advisor dies(and me hiring a 2* inflation reduction guy as his replacement), I have finished all of the sieges on Milanese territory, and thus I take the territory that I need.

EU3_108.jpg

So now that my mission is complete, let's see what my new one is....

EU3_110.jpg

OH COME ON!!!!!!!:mad:

4 days after that, The Papal State calls me to war against Siena. Since Siena is one of the four provinces that I need to form Italy, I join the call to war, even though I take a 2 stability hit AND it could possibly bring in the emperor.

EU3_111.jpg

Luckily, Austria didn't join in, so it was basically just me and the Papal State vs. Siena and Savoy(turns out Siena is Savoy's vassal!). Unfortunately, the Papal State vassalizes Siena just before I could annex them :(. Since I didn't get a chance to, I go and take the province Nice from Savoy(forgot to get a pic of the peace deal XD).

Little while later and Hungary offers me an alliance. 2 months later my Doge dies from partying with Hungarian nobles

EU3_120.jpg

EU3_121.jpg

Oh yea, and I leave Corfu to its fate against the Ottomans

EU3_114.jpg

I DOW on Milan about 3 years later and proceed to vassalize their ally Montenegro

EU3_125.jpg

3 years after that, I finish sieging all of Milan's territory and as a result demand 3 of their 4 territories(the last one is their capital.)

EU3_135.jpg

EU3_136.jpg

After this update, I am now a 10 province major Italian power. One of those provinces is one of the 4 required to form the Italian state. All I need to do now is acquire Roma, Siena, and Ancona and get cores on those ones in order to form Italy.

Last edited: