Two combinations that made my life much much easier

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Actually QF-A-S is sufficient as both beam blast and AoE. Even though pressing QF-A-S-S-S or QF-QF-QF-A-S will give you more long term damage, when you time it as damage per second, qf-a-s does the same amount as the more key heavy variants, it just lasts 5 seconds shorter.

Anybody that requires more than 20 seconds to kill leaves you exposed when a goblin comes around your back. better to have similar dps with less key mashing.

What about best defense? I personally enjoy using E-D-F(volcano) / E-D-R(icey wall) and any beam type weapon (breaks a small hole in the wall and rapes whatever is behind it). Easily spammable too.

Favorite combination is E-S..S-R / E-S..S-F and equip it to your sword.... makes those mines an offensive spell too (also works great with the above mentioned E-D-F)

Best defence is ESR, freezing mines. Those jumping bastards are best dealt with by putting a shield in front of you E+RMB and then ERS at same spot. Mines will be other side of the shield and jumping bastards (c) will bounce of your shield to land on the mines, get 500 damage and freeze themselves.

Another good defence is Shift + A S F + RMB mashing. It'll create a wave after wave after wave of 900 dmg from three elements. It has a knockback so they can't touch you as long as you are mashing.

I like ASF/ASR+AOE for single player, sure. But if I'm feeling particularly brave, I've had a lot of fun trying to fire off these two nearly-identical spells in rapid succession:

EASF+MMB -> EASF+Lshift+RMB

While this may not be the most damaging thing you can do, and it can be very tricky to pull off in the exact situation I prefer - a mob o' goblins, preferably while NOT getting hit by archers - it is spectacular to watch everything immediately explode around you without taking any damage from it. When it works, it softens everything up a good bit.

I found shift+S+D+R is great for when your being over run. The mobs get knocked off their feet and are frozen.

Water Water Lightning Arcane is in many cases far superior to using frost or steam.

Not only does it soak and eletrocute but it pushes the enemies back as well.

Particularly useful in on platforms.

My favorite rapid defense and sword spell is: QRASE
Because of ice, this doesn't result in mines, but rather a quick appearing and disappearing group of ice-crystals, that electrocute for a LOT of damage. Because of the Arcane in there, kills wille explode as well.
As a sword spell, it's great to keep in your sword for a quick AOE in front of you.

Also, for dealing with big guys: simply freeze followed by a targeted lightning bolt (QFASA)

Conflag is also very powerfull, but I find the casting of it tedious (FQFFQFFQ). Will kill most unarmored small fries in a large wave in front of you.

Best defence is Staff of the Dead, Raise Dead (three times or so) and Arcane AoE :p I know the multiple summon thing is a glich-ish thing but I never had more fun playing a necromancer type wizard :D (and I love necromancers) I hope they will let us have more than a single summon (they will probably limit the summons to one in a future patch tho), at least on single player mode. (btw I don't just spam Raise Dead and Arcane AoE, I just use them as cannon fodder to keep big creatures away) Really fun to play like a necromancer, this game is made of pure win :D

While playing multiplayer i found that this combination of beams deals insane damage while keeping you save:

s+q combined with s + r

if you combine the beams you deal about 1500 damage a second and your target gets frozen.

i think instead of water you can also use steam but i dont know if that is effective or not

Q>E>R>R>A>S
Put it on your weapon.
It's the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Hitting R-R can cause a delay in creating the 2nd Cold element. Try firing it off as QERASR, or maybe RQERAS, or any other permutation that types in the repeated elements at different times, and you might improve on its conjuring speed a bit. (The delay will still be there, but you'll be using that time to create other elements, so it won't matter.)

Hmm... my preferred defensive cast is Shield Cold Earth Arcane, yielding a wall of rocks that slow everything that's near them and release slow AoE on being destroyed.

As for offensive casts... 2x Steam, 2x Lighting, 1x Arcane does around 2,800 as AoE and 700 damage a tick as a beam. For reference, 1x Steam, 1x Lighting, 3x Arcane deals around 2,300 as AoE and around 550 a tick as a beam. It will appear to do more when Vlad-tested for the full duration of the beam because the additional Arcane increases the duration of the beam. However, 2x Steam, 2x Lighting, 1x Arcane has the best damage per second.

Also, for the guy who suggested Water, Lighting, Arcane by casting ice, lighting, then fire.... Sorry. Water x1, Lighting x3, Arcane x1 deals around 2,000 as AoE, and just under 500 a tick as a beam. You can't stack a second Water element, because trying to add any elements while you have a Water and a Lightning will cause them to cancel.