+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The Life and Deeds of Lord Robert Clifford

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Rome Gold

The Life and Deeds of Lord Robert Clifford

I've been itching to try out something that I haven't done before in an AAR - trying to emulate the style of the period in which the AAR is set. My AAR will be based around the life of Robert Clifford, a minor English nobleman from Westmorland, in the 1337 campaign. When he dies, the AAR will end. It might not have many updates at all, it might drag on for months, it depends on how long Robert lives. I will, if all goes well, have an update posted here by Friday evening at the latest (although I might get a chance tonight US Central Time, or tomorrow evening).

I've been reading a lot of fourteenth century texts like these, about the lives of certain people and such, so hopefully I can do some justice to the genre. As always, feedback and constructive criticism is encouraged. I hope you all enjoy!

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3

Hmm. The Black Prince, the end of the second Scottish independence war (raids still going on), the start of the Hundred Years War... lots of things to do for a minor English nobleman in Westmoreland .

Will watch .
    NavAARa: a little kingdom refusing to go down (My first little CKI AAR: reached goals, eventually abandoned)
    (Subbed) Emperor Nicholas the Leper at Imperium AARlandium Sacrum.
    Duchy of Dioclea, the (roundabout) return of the Illyrians. After St Mihailo... all hail the Nasokrator! (also abandoned)
    Now returning with Horns in the mist - The saga of the sons of Stenkil A brief CKII AAR. Already in 1380 and still going strong.
    Character Writer of the Week 18-03-2011.

"When in trouble, when in doubt, run in circles, scream, and shout".

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Rome GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided

Blog Entries
    Nice to see something starting in 1337. Good luck!
    Exile in the East - a Helleno-Varangian CK AAR (Part 28 posted 03 January 2012)
    AARland Choice AwAARds - CK historybook winner Q3 & Q4 2011
    Showcased 09-Sep-2011, Character writer of the week 28-Mar-2011
    Fan of the Week 07-Feb-2011 & 03-Jul-2011

Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3EU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneRome Gold
    Semper FiSword of the StarsVictoria 2Mount & Blade: Warband

Certainly an interesting concept! 1337 AARs are definitely rare. Actually I started one 1337 AAR but it was a miserable failure.
    "Cum boni nihil faciunt homines, malum praevalet"

"A man that flies from his fear may find that he has only taken a short cut to meet it." -

“Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends.” -Gandalf the Grey

Snowstorm killed the power for a few days, and because of that I'm swamped with work that got built up, but hopefully I can find some time to get an update posted within the next few days. Are the font and colors alright in this, or should I switch them up a bit?

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Rome GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided

Blog Entries
    Maybe one size bigger on the font?

Robert is a fairly old man for his day at 32. Does this mean he is a man in a hurry?
    Exile in the East - a Helleno-Varangian CK AAR (Part 28 posted 03 January 2012)
    AARland Choice AwAARds - CK historybook winner Q3 & Q4 2011
    Showcased 09-Sep-2011, Character writer of the week 28-Mar-2011
    Fan of the Week 07-Feb-2011 & 03-Jul-2011

A size bigger can be done. Robert is old indeed - he's in a hurry, aye, and even though I'll stop the AAR after his death (probably), I hope he has time to raise a good son.

I should have an update posted tomorrow.
    Last edited by Serek000; 07-02-2011 at 21:37.

One bigger font would be good indeed. Also, does it take a lot of work if you would remove the white background behind the book or change the color of it? It's not too disturbing, but it hurts my eyes a bit.

"A man that flies from his fear may find that he has only taken a short cut to meet it." -

“Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends.” -Gandalf the Grey

Rome GoldWarlock: Master of the ArcanePride of NationsRise of PrussiaCK2: Holy Knight

really neat idea, this could win records for the shortest AAR ever (to be actually completed), but its an intriguing start

Patron Saint of Suenik Iain Wilson's Avatar
    Deus VultFor The GloryRome Gold

Blog Entries
    Nice idea for an AAR, however given that he's 32 already and likely to go off to war Robert could be in for a short ride!
    ~~ My Current AARs ~~
    The Sleeper - an EU3 Narrative
    These Oranjes Are Not For Eating - Fun and Games in the Orange Free State
    Favourite Comedy Victoria AAR: Q1 10 Q2 10 Q3 10 Q4 10 Q1 11 Best Character Writer: 28th Feb 10; 5th Jul 10 WritAAR of the Week: 6th Mar 10
    For AARs past and present please visit my Ink Well

There has been a change of both font and size, and I cut off more of the background (I don't know why I didn't before!) so hopefully it is more readable. It's also a day late. One of these days I'll learn to be punctual with my AARs...

And aye, it'll probably be short - but Robert, as you will come to see, is a cautious man who values his health, so hopefully it won't be too short.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Patron Saint of Suenik Iain Wilson's Avatar
    Deus VultFor The GloryRome Gold

Blog Entries
    Very well written. Although you're probably chronicalling what amounts to about a dozen mouse clicks you're doing it well enough to keep your readers engaded and interested. Keep it up!
    ~~ My Current AARs ~~
    The Sleeper - an EU3 Narrative
    These Oranjes Are Not For Eating - Fun and Games in the Orange Free State
    Favourite Comedy Victoria AAR: Q1 10 Q2 10 Q3 10 Q4 10 Q1 11 Best Character Writer: 28th Feb 10; 5th Jul 10 WritAAR of the Week: 6th Mar 10
    For AARs past and present please visit my Ink Well

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCrusader Kings II
    Darkest HourDeus VultDungeonlandEast India Company CollectionEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III Collection
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneImpireEuropa Universalis III: In NomineIron Cross
    Leviathan: WarshipsThe Kings CrusadeMagickaMajesty II CollectionMarch of the Eagles
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeRome GoldSemper Fi
    SengokuThe Showdown EffectVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisWarlock: Master of the ArcaneWar of the RosesEU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise

Leet starttime!

Lady of the North Star Demi Moderator Saithis's Avatar
    Arsenal of DemocracyCities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus Vult
    Europa Universalis 3Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMagickaMajesty 2EU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Rome GoldSemper FiSengokuSword of the StarsVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordCK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEUIV: Call to arms event

Blog Entries
    Very interesting, I've not seen anything done like this before. I'll be reading.
    Sai's Inkwell - Click here to see more of my writing!
    Ongoing AARs:
    Valour of the North Star - Chronicles of the Hvide Clan: CK2 Narrative AAR, Last Updated: 9th June 2013
    Last Man and Shilling - Semper Fi HPP AustraliAAR: HOI3 SF HPP History-Book AAR, Last Updated: 9th June 2013
    Blood and Gold - The Second Spanish Republic: HOI3 FTM HPP History-Book/Narrative AAR, Last Updated: 18th August 2012
    Kings of Qritani - A Tale of Picts and Celts: Rome Narrative AAR, Last Updated: 4th September, 2012
    Sai Plays Game of Thrones: Burning Down Westeros: CK2 AGOT Gameplay Video AAR, Last Updated: 6th September, 2012
    If I type in this elegant Red, I am speaking in an official capacity as an AARland Demi-Moderator.
    Forum Rules | AARland FAQ | AARland Rules 1 | Rules 2

@ Iain Wilson: Thanks, I'll certainly try my best!
    @ Enewald: I've always been fond of the 1337 start time, but it doesn't lend itself well to dynasty play and such, but I figured it would work out just fine for an AAR that focuses on only one man
    @Saithis: I hope I can keep you entertained

@ All: I should have an update up by Tuesday at the latest, but I can probably do one either late tonight US Central Time or early tomorrow US Central Time. Does the new font and size work better?
    Last edited by Serek000; 13-02-2011 at 18:08.

Very well written. Fascinating style. It's always nice to see fresh ideas in AARland. And the text is a lot easier to read after you removed the white background and increased the font size.

NOP-field present Moderator Qorten's Avatar
    57 games registered

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyCities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings II
    DungeonlandElven Legacy CollectionEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesDivine Wind
    For The GloryGettysburgHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHeir to the Throne
    ImpireEuropa Universalis III: In NomineKing Arthur IILeviathan: WarshipsThe Kings Crusade
    Lost Empire - ImmortalsMagickaMajesty 2March of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Naval War: Arctic CirclePirates of Black CoveVictoria: RevolutionsSengokuShip Simulator Extremes
    Sword of the StarsSword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler: Cold WarSupreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the Arcane
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the RosesPride of NationsRise of PrussiaCK2: Holy Knight
    EU Rome Collectors EditionKnights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderTeleglitch: Die More Edition

The bookform has already been done by Brandenburg III, but it's nice to see it re-emerge. So far nice and smooth reading!

BB III's Weimar AAR I mentioned.

When I use this color I am speaking as a Moderator.

@ Auray: Thank you, and I'm glad the font/size change has helped.
    @ Qorten: Thank you, and I've not read that AAR before, due to it being before my time as a regular reader/writer (but I'll be sure to read through it now, as Brandenburg III is a favorite of mine)
    ---------------------------------------

Rome GoldWarlock: Master of the ArcanePride of NationsRise of PrussiaCK2: Holy Knight

again really well presented ... as above, you're making the most of the game events ... and, my current obsession, inventing particularly novel reasons for CBs

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast