• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

vadermath

Major
22 Badges
Mar 13, 2009
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Darkest Hour
  • Magicka
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • 500k Club
  • War of the Roses
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2
  • Rome Gold
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/01/25/throne-together-a-crusader-kings-ii-preview/#more-48761

You’re old. Your wife’s plotting your downfall. Your son’s a dribbling imbecile. Your father-in-law hates your guts. And I know what you’re thinking. You’re thinking “Yes, that is certainly my life. Why would I want to play a game like Crusader Kings 2, which models all of this in a medieval environment?” Well, I’ll tell you why. It’s because you can cheat on your wife, kill your idiot son, raise a bastard child as your heir and send your father-in-law to rot in prison for the rest of his days.

:p

In CK2, battles will be fought with three commanding nobles on each side, with each taking responsibility for either the left or right flank or the middle of the battlefield. As three phases of the battle (skirmishing, melee and pursuit) play out, you can expect the various traits of each general to mix things up a bit. A coward might scupper the whole battle by holding his forces back, a bloodthirsty man may chase down enemy troops before turning to support the general next to him, and so on. Traits will also affect which of the new combat events pop up, with these both demanding that players make a difficult decision, and adding even more colour to the proceedings.

It sounds like battles will be very interesting. I am curious if you can choose the leaders of the army or the highest titled noble will always be prefered to an ordinary baron. If the former is true, then I can image that there will be hard choices - great leadership of a skilled baron or unqualified duke who thinks he should be in charge but whose loyalty is needed for stability of the realm?

Man that's a lotta good stuff.

edit: I'm going to guess that you'll be able to choose your commanders, but "command an army" will be an ambition (wasn't there one like that in Rome? I can't remember) It should make for some interesting situations when a moron wants the job.

Last edited:
Sounds great! He did not mention his sources, but some new morsels on battle. But the best part was that I laughed through the whole thing. I so have to write an AAR as a soap opera once this comes out.

I really like the interviews and previews at the moment ... normally they all just tell the same things, but there seems to be tidbits in each and everyone that are not covered by the others :) ... so LOTS of small details have been revealed in the past week or so :) ... and some pretty darn good ones.

I am sure CK2 will be the greatest PI game to date :) ... lets just hope the fanbase do it justice by rewarding PI for their hard work by buying this gem.

I really like the interviews and previews at the moment ... normally they all just tell the same things, but there seems to be tidbits in each and everyone that are not covered by the others :) ... so LOTS of small details have been revealed in the past week or so :) ... and some pretty darn good ones.

I am sure CK2 will be the greatest PI game to date :) ... lets just hope the fanbase do it justice by rewarding PI for their hard work by buying this gem.

I'm ready for pre-order myself. Maybe they can release a late beta before Christmas to pre-paying customers if they have enough subscribers. Not to rush our devs, we do love you guys! All I'm asking for is a stable game with some cool new features. I really appreciated King's comments last week on that. Then it's our jobs to push the limits of the new modified engine. ;)

Good preview, but it shows that while he claims to know CK1, he can't have known it well:

Crusader Kings 2 will also see the addition of buildings to the series, which I suspect might send a ripple of doubt through the CK faithful, but even these are imbued with a human element.
Buildings were part of CK1 too after all.;)

Good preview, but it shows that while he claims to know CK1, he can't have known it well:

I think what he means by buildings are actually baronies :) ... which are new. At least that is how I read his interpretation of buildings.

From what he's said previously (he's been pimping CKII on RPS quite satisfactorily for a while) he never actually got around to playing CK, just read an AAR that intrigued him enough to want to.

Those three commanders in a battle sounds really intriguing. It may actually make wars fun.

He mentioned a new engine, but I'm assuming by new engine, he just meant new graphical features. The game still uses Clausewitz, right?

Previous crusader king game was on Europa engine. So it's a new engine considering the series.
It's what was meant.

Man that's a lotta good stuff.

edit: I'm going to guess that you'll be able to choose your commanders, but "command an army" will be an ambition (wasn't there one like that in Rome? I can't remember) It should make for some interesting situations when a moron wants the job.

Could you detail a little bit ambitions of Rome please ?

Could you detail a little bit ambitions of Rome please ?

My son wants to lead armies and get glory. I don't let him. He becomes mad, later rebellious because he thinks I don't like him as much as my other son, who already have led armies in war for five years and have become the hero of the nation.