Official Magicka Status Report (Jan 25th)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Shams

Corporate Paladin
70 Badges
Nov 9, 2009
  • 500k Club
  • Magicka
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Majesty 2
  • March of the Eagles
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Prison Architect
  • Rome Gold
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Ship Simulator Extremes
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Dungeonland
  • Lead and Gold
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Gettysburg
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Impire
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • King Arthur II
Thanks for playing the game!

Here's the official status of Magicka as of now (25th of Jan).

Short story:
Singeplayer works fine for the most part, Multiplayer does not - patch on the way for both! (as soon as steam pushes the button). We'll patch the game as often as possible.

Long story:

Singleplayer: Small bugs reported here and there and a bunch of them are already fixed. We're especially aware of the "middle mouse click" bug. Re-map option on the way! Devs will fix more stuff as they come in.

Multiplayer: Players are experiencing connectivity problems. In addition to that we know that we have a bug with status effects not being reported correctly on the client side in MP. This leads to a bunch of problems. The fix is in the patch!

ADDITIONAL INFO:

Some players are reporting other problems. Please follow these general steps and hopefully it'll help most of you.

Make sure you're on a computer that has sufficient juice:

MINIMUM Requirements

• Operating system: Windows XP/Vista/Windows 7
  • Processor: Intel® Pentium® IV 2.4 GHz or AMD 3500+
  • Memory: 2 GB RAM
  • Hard disk space: 2 GB Available HDD Space
  • Video: NVIDIA® GeForce 8800 or equivalent
  • Direct X-compatible sound card
  • DirectX® 9
  • 3-button mouse, keyboard and speakers
  • Internet connection for multiplayer

We've seen that a bunch of players are reporting that the game is running poorly on their netbooks/laptops without proper graphics cards. This is the primary reason why the game is acting up.

Make sure you have the latest drivers for your graphics card. Visit www.nvidia.com or www.amd.com.

Make sure your have the following installed (should have autoinstalled)

• XNA Framework
  • Microsoft .net framework 3.5 (dotNetFx35setup.exe)

We (devs and publisher) are super committed to fix stuff that's broken and make sure you guys can have a great time with the game.

Additionally we've also have a bunch of improvements (password for private games etc) planned and will be patched in as soon as the major issues are out of the way!

Keep letting us know if there's anything else we can do!

Thanks again for playing and watch out for friendly fire!

/ Paradox & Arrowhead Team

Additional info can be found on:

Twitter: www.twitter.com/magickagame
The official Magicka Forum: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?496-Magicka
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Magickagame

Last edited:
Good news,

Steam did publish a wooping 500mb patch to no avail. MP problems are still there, so no going home till this is fixed Shams! ;)

Also Steam CD keys are one letter too long :)

Broken client, broken mechanics

Multiplayer: Players are experiencing connectivity problems. In addition to that we know that we have a bug with status effects not being reported correctly on the client side in MP. This leads to a bunch of problems. The fix is in the patch!

These aren't the issues that we had today. We had the following issues (plus some others):

Client crashed during multiplayer
Client froze during multiplayer
Character got stuck underwater during multiplayer

When the game was actually running, the connection was fine. Not sure what the status effects thing is about, but perhaps that is related to getting stuck underwater.

However, all the crashes wouldn't have been so bad if there was some working checkpoint mechanic in multiplayer. We have played through the tutorial level so many times because every time your multiplayer session ends (due to, for example, a crash), you must start again from the beginning. It was a funny little intro to the game and a helpful insight into the way the game plays the first couple of times, but it gets old pretty fast. This is a terribly broken mechanic for a game like this.

Glad to see that you're aware of the issues and you're on them. Some optimisation wouldn't go amiss further down the line, I think the amount of people stunned that they do not meet the system requirements for Magicka, when they are playing other far more graphically advanced games illustrates that there is an issue here somewhere.

As those who are interested in the casual nature of Magicka are unlikely to be running high spec rigs, it might be something that you want to look into.
(Once the most pressing issues are resolved of course.)

A bit more than a few issues imo.

Personally i can launch the game, fuss with options, but if i want to start a game/join a multiplayer game, game stops responding/hard freezes. :(

Halp.

All system requirements are met and surpassed.

(Intel Core 2 Duo 3.0 Ghz, 4GB ram, HD4850 1024mb)

I bought the game off of steam and it doesn't even start up for me.

Did you have any errors? I am able to launch the game just fine.

EDIT: It seems that when I ALT-TAB from the game to another application and then go back to the game, the game disappears from the taskbar but is still running in the background. I then had to open up the task manager and manually end the Magicka process to close the game. It does not show up in the applications menu, only in the processes menu.

Last edited:
issues ive noticed so far

there are certain areas in the game that will randomly run very slowly for no reason, single/multiplayer (worse in Multi)

multiplayer occasionally you cant cast spells such as nulify or lighting bolt, the annimation will happen but the spell doesnt do anything.

hard crash after loading new areas.

my system specs are as follows
Windows 7 Pro 64 bit
AMD Phenom II X4 955
Asus M4N9TD-EVO Motherboard
8 GB mushkin enhanced 1600
2 GTX470 SLI
1250 Watt Coolmaster PSU

based on this i do not believe that i should be experiencing the lag that i am.

EDIT: It seems that when I ALT-TAB from the game to another application and then go back to the game, the game disappears from the taskbar but is still running in the background. I then had to open up the task manager and manually end the Magicka process to close the game. It does not show up in the applications menu, only in the processes menu.

No error message, but i did check awhile later and it wasn't on the taskbar but running in the background but i can't get to the game.

I bought Magicka today with 3 of my friends so we could play multiplayer. We spent over an hour trying to play with little success. Among the numerous bugs I encountered in the span of an hour:

Various crashes and display corruption in the online play/lobby UI
Timeouts while connecting to a game that require you to restart Magicka
Stack overflow when crossing magic beams, crashes game to desktop for all players
Players getting 'stuck' inside a cinematic, unable to move until another cinematic plays (if ever)
The tutorial getting stuck or advancing very slowly, preventing players from continuing
Key NPCs being killed accidentally, preventing the game from advancing
Players being randomly dropped from multiplayer despite their connections still being up
A complete lack of support for NAT along with zero feedback when an attempt to connect to a game fails

Beyond the bugs are the more severe issues:

The netcode is completely unsuitable for a production game - it uses way too much bandwidth (to the point that none of us could play together at all without severe lag and crashes unless I hosted on my business-class connection), is extremely buggy, and responds badly to connection loss and latency by letting parts of the game get out of sync with each other or throwing up random modal dialogs in your face while you're trying to kill monsters. There's no gentle way to put this - the netcode is just plain bad.

The matchmaking is also barely usable - no way to password protect hosted games, tons of bugs in the lobby ui and 'find game' ui (for example, I can't scroll the list of available games... WTF?) - the only way my friends and I were able to successfully play together was when I hosted and they joined my match via steam's Join Game menu (credit is due for having steam integration - it seems to work, so good job there).

The balance of the various magic spells and combos is wildly out of whack as is the difficulty of the various enemies in the game, which makes it very difficult to enjoy the multiplayer arena matches (in the event that they actually work for more than a few minutes) - a high difficulty level like in Demon's Souls can be fun, but not when it makes the game unplayable or forces you to resort to spamming the same spell on one enemy for 3 minutes to kill it. The game simply is not tuned properly and it severely impacts the fun factor.

I impatiently await further patches to address issues with Magicka - when we were actually able to play together, we had tons of fun - but that fun only lasted for a few minutes until one of us got stuck or crashed or disconnected or the game glitched out. This game should not have left beta, but it would certainly be worth the cost of admission if only it *worked*.

Hi everyone,

Thanks for reporting all your issues! We've added them to the database and Arrowhead will get on them ASAP.

The lions share of bugs are concentrated around multiplayer - especially using the server browser. We suggest you wait with the server browser until it is patched. We'd like to present a workaround for playing online until it's fixed:

Hamachi -http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamachi_%28software%29

Hamachi is a free 3rd party program that simulates LAN environment (Magicka multiplayer works great over LAN/local co-op). In essence you are tricking Magicka to believe that you're on a network and you should be able to connect fine.

Drawbacks include that you can't just jump into any game, you have to plan ahead with your friends and you have to fiddle with Hamachi.

/s

Just a note, Hamachi is also a serious security problem. Expect the contents of your computer to be on the internet within seconds of installing that software.

I'm having a similar problem. The twist is that the game disappears when I click on online play. Disappears from taskbar but process still running.

PS: A Support/bug report sub forum would be great.

3rd party programs used at own volition, added warning.

/s

i fixed this issue. it`s temporary for now.

go to control panel=region and language
go administrative tab
change system locale
select english(united states)
restart.
its ok its running fine

Just a note, Hamachi is also a serious security problem. Expect the contents of your computer to be on the internet within seconds of installing that software.

Agreed, as I posted on the other Shams thread, we did the same but with Open VPN, since on of my friends runs a server at home. But that solution is off limit to most people I guess.

I'd like to clarify, neither singleplayer OR multiplayer work for me. I can get to the menu and muck about, but whenever i click anything that should lead to a bit of gameplay, the game hard freezes after 2 seconds and stops responding.

I've installed everything advised and surpass sysreqs.

I get the same error log every time:

LogicThread
System.IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
at PolygonHead.Text.SetText(String iText)
at Magicka.GameLogic.GameStates.Menu.Main.SubMenuCharacterSelect.UpdateGamers()
at Magicka.GameLogic.GameStates.Menu.Main.SubMenuCharacterSelect..ctor()
at Magicka.GameLogic.GameStates.Menu.Main.SubMenuCharacterSelect.get_Instance()
at Magicka.GameLogic.GameStates.Menu.Main.SubMenuCampaignSelect.ControllerA(Controller iSender)
at Magicka.GameLogic.GameStates.Menu.SubMenu.ControllerMouseClicked(Controller iSender)
at Magicka.GameLogic.GameStates.Menu.SubMenu.ControllerMouseAction(Controller iSender, Point iScreenSize, MouseState iState, MouseState iOldState)
at Magicka.GameLogic.Controls.KeyboardMouseController.Update(DataChannel iDataChannel, Single iDeltaTime)
at Magicka.GameLogic.Controls.ControlManager.HandleInput(DataChannel iDataChannel, Single iDeltaTime)
at Magicka.GameLogic.GameStates.GameState.Update(DataChannel iDataChannel, Single iDeltaTime)
at Magicka.GameLogic.GameStates.MenuState.Update(DataChannel iDataChannel, Single iDeltaTime)
at Magicka.GameLogic.GameStates.GameStateManager.Update(DataChannel iDataChannel, Single iDeltaTime)
at Magicka.Game.Update(Single iDeltaTime)
at Magicka.Game.ThreadedUpdate()

Thanks for playing the game!

Here's the official status of Magicka as of now (25th of Jan).

Short story:
Singeplayer works fine for the most part, Multiplayer does not - patch on the way for both! (as soon as steam pushes the button). We'll patch the game as often as possible.

Long story:

Singleplayer: Small bugs reported here and there and a bunch of them are already fixed. We're especially aware of the "middle mouse click" bug. Re-map option on the way! Devs will fix more stuff as they come in.

ADDITIONAL INFO:

Some players are reporting other problems. Please follow these general steps and hopefully it'll help most of you.

Make sure you're on a computer that has sufficient juice:

MINIMUM Requirements

• Operating system: Windows XP/Vista/Windows 7
  • Processor: Intel® Pentium® IV 2.4 GHz or AMD 3500+
  • Memory: 2 GB RAM
  • Hard disk space: 2 GB Available HDD Space
  • Video: NVIDIA® GeForce 8800 or equivalent
  • Direct X-compatible sound card
  • DirectX® 9
  • 3-button mouse, keyboard and speakers
  • Internet connection for multiplayer

We've seen that a bunch of players are reporting that the game is running poorly on their netbooks/laptops without proper graphics cards. This is the primary reason why the game is acting up.

Make sure you have the latest drivers for your graphics card. Visit www.nvidia.com or www.amd.com.

Make sure your have the following installed (should have autoinstalled)

• XNA Framework
  • Microsoft .net framework 3.5 (dotNetFx35setup.exe)

We (devs and publisher) are super committed to fix stuff that's broken and make sure you guys can have a great time with the game.

Additionally we've also have a bunch of improvements (password for private games etc) planned and will be patched in as soon as the major issues are out of the way!

Keep letting us know if there's anything else we can do!

Thanks again for playing and watch out for friendly fire!

/ Paradox & Arrowhead Team

Additional info can be found on:

Twitter: www.twitter.com/magickagame
The official Magicka Forum: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?496-Magicka
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Magickagame

im currently having a problem where i can sometimes see games listed when im searching for them in the multiplayer section but then when i try to refesh the contents, the listed games clear and it no longer shows any games listed at all until i restart the game.

also....a possible fix for the person asking about the steam Forum key being 1 character too long....for me i just put in the code 1 character short and it worked. Hope this helps