• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

RedRooster81

Modding Paladin
55 Badges
Feb 16, 2010
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • 500k Club
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Rome Gold
I thought that I would introduce a mod idea that focuses around fantasy and magic. Events would be drawn from European folklore as well as some general early modern and modern fantasy/medieval works. Nothing outrageous, but things that would meld well with the rest of the game. The high medieval era that fits the vanilla CK2 timeframe is a time of transition in much of Europe, in which we see the conversion of the common folk and nobility of various countries from paganism to a more or less orthodox form of Christianity. A lot of the old faiths remained, especially among the common folk, but among the nobility as well. So, we are talking about witchcraft; magical beings like fairies, genies, nymphs, trolls...changelings; love potions (including special fertility treatments?); maybe an odd werewolf attack.

I am thinking of making general events, but some region or country specific. If this becomes a functioning mod sometime in 2012 or 2013, it would be good if people submitted events covering their own countries, if the interest is there. IIRC DVIP had some events somewhat like this, but I thought that it could be expanded upon for the new game. I think there should also be a core package for the mod, then add ons, so that you can customize how much fantasy you want in your history ;) and whether you want sort of flavor events or some bits of horror, etc.

How about swapping the diocese bishop court position to something like Court Wizard? Then you could have Merlin-like characters who aren't only doing wizardly stuff but also playing a part in courtly politics and kingdom management.

It's a pity that adapting King Arthur legend to CK2 would require too much inventive work and changing the whole setup (characters as well the map preferably). Otherwise, Crusades - as a central theme - may be modded to quests for a Holy Grail (according to developers we may have relicts in CK2 which would be convenient for narration purpose). "Piety" may be called a "Spirituality" (which would be gained by heroic deeds and would be needed to fully realize the Grail in its presence (Percival's failure)) - character traits and personal growth act a major role both in Crusader Kings and King Arthur's legend. Maybe pope could be Merlin, Arthur a permanent pope controller, Morgana an anti-popess (wearing different position names, of course)? etc etc. Although much of the "translating" of CK elements based on analogies would feel artificial, the main weakness I see is the feudal structure in CK that doesn't allow model the Knights of the Round Table at all.

EDIT: One solution for modelling of the Knights of the Round Table in CK context might be this... The Knights of the Round Table wouldn't be just courtiers in Camelot. All of them would be count-vassals of King Arthur, but instead of ruling a county somewhere in England they would have a seat behind the table. Table itself would be presented visually in a corner of a modified map in a separated area picturing a main hall of Camelot. Each seat around it (also pictured) would be in the game mechanics sense simply one modified province, owned by Round Table knight and having a capital of Arthur's realm as its only "neighbor province". Different province options and effects for those seat-provinces are "toggled off" and ignored, events tied to them deleted or changed - those aren't ordinary counties nor are the knights ordinary counts. The seat-provinces shouldn't be conquerable, only Arthur could grant a title (this requires special events which ensure that property). Count-knights would have a significant opinion bonus towards their king (and towards each other, if it's allowed in CK2), but they can rebel and switch sides in rare cases.

Last edited:
I like the idea of a court magician, though I'm not looking to do an Arthurian overhaul (but if you guys are interested, we'll see what the future holds). I would have magicians, astrologers, etc. as unofficial advisors, for whom events would be triggered (both to create them and for follow-up events). (There could be a decision for "consult your astrologer" before starting building projects or going to war, though I'm not sure what the effects should be, maybe a morale boost like omens in EU Rome?) You or your family members could also have visions, maybe a "mystic" trait. The Papacy could of course get suspicious if you kept a pagan wizard, Sufi mystic (cf. Enrique IV of Castille), or Jewish physician in your personal household and send a legate to investigate; at the least, your spiritual lord should have something to say about it, provided that he has the proper traits. After all, the Church claimed a monopoly on magic; everything else was officially either superstition or devil-worship. ;)

While I can't think of any spesific local folklore that genuinely can be connected to the game period, I certainly like the idea.
Instead of those boring "A courtier wishes to retire"-events, they could be whisked away by fairies or cursed by rivals.
Children could be abducted by the sidhe and replaced by changelings - with possible event chain leading up to recovery of the real child (very low probability), or the death of the child (very high probability).

Events of the type "A filthy beggar by the wayside asks for alms" - treat him badly and risk being cursed (one option is to kick him, poetic justice is being cursed with clump foot, or another option is to ridicule him, poetic justice is to gain a stammer etc). Treat him good and there's a slim chance something good happens (maybe a mysterious stranger donates a vast sum of monies in repayment, or a filthy token given in gratitude suddenly turns to gold or something similar). In most cases tho, nothing should happen at all to ensure people not only choose the "right" option.

Or more variations of the "white stag"-event. Kill the stag/apparition, pay geld (money or do quest) or be cursed by the owner etc...

"Cursed" and "Blessed" could be two traits - both influencing the outcome/percentage chance of events, on in a positive way, the other negatively (a bit of a pain tho, adding the modifiers to all the existing events).

Also, the likelyhood of such events should increase close to certain dates (or only happen on them), like equinox and solstice. Children born on those dates could start out as either "Blessed" or "Cursed", or simply more likely to be eaten by grues or given gifts by fairies.

Well, that was just some ideas of the top of my head.
While such things wouldn't be too historically correct (even tho the people of the time certainly believed stuff like that could happen), it would add a lot of flavor.

Also, the likelyhood of such events should increase close to certain dates (or only happen on them), like equinox and solstice. Children born on those dates could start out as either "Blessed" or "Cursed", or simply more likely to be eaten by grues or given gifts by fairies.

Well, that was just some ideas of the top of my head.
While such things wouldn't be too historically correct (even tho the people of the time certainly believed stuff like that could happen), it would add a lot of flavor.

I like the random chance for each firing of the event idea. In the DVIP mod and vanilla CK, you could just remember what was the "right" answer to each event that came up and push on, but this would give you a chance of good and bad results. I am interested in adding in flavor, and as I see CK as a kind of RPG, I think that you need to see the world as your characters would, and this means that you don't know who strangers are (that old beggar could be an elf, the devil, or Jesus Christ wandering the world incognito, or just an old guy without any means of supporting himself). There is an old tradition of gods going around to grant good things to people who are hospitable to strangers (Jupiter did it, so did Odin, Thor, and Loki).