• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

delra

Master of Orion
34 Badges
Jan 27, 2008
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Victoria 2
SOI thing seems to rely mostly on experience coming from observation of AI behaviour.

So far I've noticed that:

- AI will first discredit you when you are meddling with a country they want/have already.
- If you are still bearing at full speed into that country after being discredited, you are sure to earn a ban.
- If you are banned and don't remove priority, you will have your relations dropped to Cordial unless there is someone else AI might spend that influence on instead (third rival).
- Sometimes it's easier to sneak in without raising too much attention. Priority 1 over extended period of time with regular pauses will slowly build you up without launching AI's defensive mechanism.

- AI doesn't like to meddle with others' SOIs unless it's their neighbour or one of special good countries. If it's a far away minor bordering noone important you're pretty safe to be able to keep it under your boot.
- Having a country in SOI, 100 relations "saved up" in there and still having +1 priority there means that no influence is pumped there.
- With the above setup AI will be unlikely to come and try to snatch this country. If attempts are made on it, discrediting on regular basis should disinterest AI over time.

- Relations do play a role in this game. AIs will go after those they don't like or consider enemy first. So spend a while raising relations with other GPs to save some influence points in the long run. AI will challenge your SOI if it feels threatened by you and is looking for potential allies (when you are USA, UK is influencing Mexico and USCA for example, raise relations to +100 and it'll stop).
- Some countries are special. Brazil, Japan, China, Netherlands, Sweden - those AI will keep actively fighting for no matter what. Prepare to sink a lot of influence into those if you want them. Often it's worth it.
- Some countries aren't special. :) Most of South and Central America, Arabian Peninsula, Denmark, Portugal, those AI will happily give up on.

- AI spreads thin. Best way to remove someone from their SOI is to first distract them. Keep bearing at +3 priority at all their SOI members except your target (all at once or one after another) and earn bans and discredits everywhere. Force AI to work there to rebuild and save relations. Then hit the country you want removed from their SOI with all you have until you earn Discredit. When discredited, remove influence and attack entire sphere again at once. Repeat until the country is torn away. Best practiced with Saxony as Prussia.
- When banned but still at +3 priority you aren't pumping influence into the target country but AI seems to think you do. So if you manage to get banned in their entire SOI and leave priorities at +3 everywhere and then add your target country with priority +1 (one you actually want to snatch), AI might not even notice what's going on. Get banned in Bavaria, Wurtemburg and Baden, leave +3 priority and add Saxony with +1 for an easy test in this.

This is good stuff. I have also had good luck sphering tertiary powers that nobody seems to care about: Ecuador, Argentina, Ethiopia, Dai Nam, Chile. Nobody ever screws with your SOI as they are not high value targets. I do find that it is quite easy to cast off a single nosy power sniffing around your SOI. Wait until their influence is in the 90s and ban them. They lose more influence than you do. Totally worth it to keep China yours. However, I find that when two or three GPs are coming after you in your sphere, you cannot generate enough influence to chase them all away. In such cases, whether it is China, non-GP Ottomans or whatever else, I find it better to walk away from the contention. It sinks influence down a black hole.

This is good stuff. I have also had good luck sphering tertiary powers that nobody seems to care about: Ecuador, Argentina, Ethiopia, Dai Nam, Chile. Nobody ever screws with your SOI as they are not high value targets. I do find that it is quite easy to cast off a single nosy power sniffing around your SOI. Wait until their influence is in the 90s and ban them. They lose more influence than you do. Totally worth it to keep China yours. However, I find that when two or three GPs are coming after you in your sphere, you cannot generate enough influence to chase them all away. In such cases, whether it is China, non-GP Ottomans or whatever else, I find it better to walk away from the contention. It sinks influence down a black hole.

In that case the trick is :

Build up to 100 influence, accept to be thrown out of the SOI by the first GP, ban the second, and then let the third rake the country in its own SOI. Let imagine it happend in a short time, the result will be :

You : influence 35 pts
GP1 : onfluence 0 pts
GP2: influence 0pts + ban 1 year
Gp3 : country in SOI + 0pts

So assuming you maxed you the tech for influence (needed for having China in your SOI), you will outpace GP1 and GP3, if they fight eachother, you will easily regain the country in your SOI, if they not, let GP1 take the country out of GP3 SOI, ban GP3, and rush influence to outpace GP1.

It is a funny game to do when you do not have other things to do (waiting to reduce infamy for exemple).