Gamersgate pre-order page just up, quick question!

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(111705)

Sergeant
30 Badges
Aug 21, 2008
  • Majesty 2
  • Humble Paradox Bundle
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Victoria 2 A House Divided Beta
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Semper Fi
  • Rome Gold
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Penumbra - Black Plague
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Lost Empire - Immortals
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Legio
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Galactic Assault
  • For The Glory
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III
  • East India Company
  • Deus Vult
  • Cities in Motion
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
"DRM: Requires a 3rd party download and account"

Any more info on this? Is Gamersgate selling the Steam version? I figure asking here is going to be quicker than asking on Gamersgate since the email support there has gone down the toilet recently.

http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-MAGICKA/magicka

I'm not pulling this question out of my ass just because I hate steam either, but this is the exact same thing it says on the other pages for steam games on Gamersgate (no idea why they went back on their promise to never sell steam games on there);
http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-RUSE/ruse-the-art-of-deception
http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-LAG/lead-and-gold-gangs-of-the-wild-west

I thought Shams said that there was no DRM in Magicka?

Love to see the preorder page up at gamersgate (at last!), but this is a bit concerning...

I do, on the other hand, have very good experience with the support at gamersgate, so I'll just ask them directly :)

EDIT: It could be Paradox Connect they're talking about, but better safe than sorry. Paradox Connect does not need a download, as far as I have seen.

Hi.
Yes this is corrent what you are asking. The reason is that we want to be part of the released and we don't know the status of the non-Steam version of the game. Not excatly what we would have wanted, but we still want to offer the games to our loyal customers.

My I ask, can you define recently regarding our e-mail support. We will def. look into this.

Regards

Hi.
Yes this is corrent what you are asking. The reason is that we want to be part of the released and we don't know the status of the non-Steam version of the game. Not excatly what we would have wanted, but we still want to offer the games to our loyal customers. My I ask, can you define recently regarding our e-mail support. We will def. look into this. Regards

Hmf. Ok. Will the non-Steam version be available on Gamersgate at all then?

On the email support, I used to email quite a bit on there. Just small questions and suggestions. But now recently it's more like talking to a wall. As if you're not actually talking to anyone working for Gamersgate but some third party email support or whatever what doesn't really have any say or can get any information outside a quick standard answers from a form format. And there's usually a week or so wait time for replies. It just feels I used to be able to talk to someone on Gamersgate on the email before if I wondered about something, but now I can't. Heh. I guess it may be that I personally used the support email address wrong before, and also that Gamersgate have become a lot more popular than it used to so the volume of email just makes it impossible to answer properly to emails not directly related to specific game problems and so on.

This is the reply I got. They don't cooperate with Steam, and DRM is subject to change until the game is released. I guess I'll wait until tomorrow with "pre-odering" then. Good thing the pointy stick Monty Python reference, the bash.org reference, the Pratchett reference, and the many other I probably missed are all available till month's end! :)

gamersgate support said:
We do not cooperate with Steam, still, until the game is released the DRM info is also subject to change.

I guess I'll wait until tomorrow with "pre-odering" then.

I'm probably going to do this as well. I feel confused over the differences between the Steam and non-Steam version, as well as their compatability concerning multiplayer, as well as what exactly GamersGate is offering and whether I need Steam to play the product from GamersGate.

There will only be one version of the game. This game will have DRM. Its the same version on Steam and GamersGate. We had a choice of to sell the game, and not sell the game. And we choose to sell the game, as we know many want to purchase the game on GamersGate.

New email, Steam is needed :( :(

Sorry for the last reply. Just to inform you. The Magicka version we will be selling will be dependent on Steam. There might be a non-Steam version in the future. But we will sell the version with Steam. Seems that you were right after all.

EDIT: emu'd by mistbite

Will there ever be a non-Steam version? This is a deal-breaker for me!

EDIT: or, at least, if there ever is a non-Steam version, can I switch to that one with my gamersgate version should I buy it from there?

Will there ever be a non-Steam version? This is a deal-breaker for me!

EDIT: or, at least, if there ever is a non-Steam version, can I switch to that one with my gamersgate version should I buy it from there?

We don't know anything for certain today. Its up to Paradox regarding a non-Steam version.

We don't know anything for certain today. Its up to Paradox regarding a non-Steam version.

Thanks, I'll wait with buying then.

I like Gamersgate and i like Steam, so i preordered today on Gamersgate, so i will have the advantages of both platforms. I can fully understand, why they first publish the game with steam-drm... a small, fun game you can play with your friends online via direct-ip without drm surely is pirate heaven.

I like Gamersgate and i like Steam, so i preordered today on Gamersgate, so i will have the advantages of both platforms. I can fully understand, why they first publish the game with steam-drm... a small, fun game you can play with your friends online via direct-ip without drm surely is pirate heaven.

That is under the assumption that DRM actually has effect on piracy. This would seem obvious, but there are few signals pointing that DRM prevents lost sales due to piracy. In any case, paradox in-house titles are DRM free and I doubt their piracy ratio is higher than the industry average.

I probably should feel bad for bringing this point up, though.

So is this the exact same offer as Steam's store version, with the same price and bonus DLC? I want my blue coins.

I just feel sad for obligatory Steam installation, account registration, game activation and letting Steam stay on your system as long as you want to play Magicka. :(
Buying it from GG is a given in any case.

I'm not a moderator here, but discussions on DRM/piracy and the effects thereof should be made in the OT forum.

Just bought it for me and a friend! :D