• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Agree on the Polish front, the Polish player could've retreated from those battles, thereby saving his troops longer and dragging out this campaign longer.

Good job on that bomber interception, you almost knocked out one of their wings!

I still can't quite see why the French are not doing much over there, they certainly do have the possibility to make you feel their presence. Same goes for the UK. An amphibious landing would be possible but risky. Once Poland is done with, the Wehrmacht will certainly steamroll any Allied forces in Northern Germany, no matter how many ships they have on the shores.

Btw... has anyone ever tried to remove the Polish forces from Poland and put them onto French soil before hostilites start in a MP game? That'd give the westfront some serious numerical boost.

Hi again, I agree I probably should comment on here more than I did before :p

What I will say so far is good job on the steady progress in Poland, you can't afford to go all out blitz when a threat of an attack looms in the west so that's a good decision IMO. One question though, what was the nasty surprise which you referred to in Chapter 3, was it the French "attack"?

Not much else to say yet, other than good read so far ;)

Last edited:
The Polish player was careless in the south. The pocket near Krakow could have been avoided or at least the losses could have been minimised.

The French "attack" looks more like reconnaissance than the real offensive. It's possible that the Allies are planning something else. Maybe they are preparing forces for some daring amphibious operation? Still, giving up on Poland with 3 human players on board (ENG, FRA, POL) wouldn't be a good move, so they should at least try to do some damage.

Agree on the Polish front, the Polish player could've retreated from those battles, thereby saving his troops longer and dragging out this campaign longer.

I still can't quite see why the French are not doing much over there, they certainly do have the possibility to make you feel their presence. Same goes for the UK. An amphibious landing would be possible but risky. Once Poland is done with, the Wehrmacht will certainly steamroll any Allied forces in Northern Germany, no matter how many ships they have on the shores.

I invite the Allied players to say something about their strategy concerning themselves and Poland. Still, as is visible, their defensive tactics in Poland have cost me some time as the invasion is close to one month old already.

Btw... has anyone ever tried to remove the Polish forces from Poland and put them onto French soil before hostilites start in a MP game? That'd give the westfront some serious numerical boost.

But if Poland gives up and become German puppets – it's sort of a major bummer… Even if they are annexed it’s a bummer as the Polish army is completely wasted for nothing.

Hi again, I agree I probably should comment on here more than I did before :p

What I will say so far is good job on the steady progress in Poland, you can't afford to go all out blitz when a threat of an attack looms in the west so that's a good decision IMO. One question though, what was the nasty surprise which you referred to in Chapter 3, was it the French "attack"?

Comments are good :). Ehum… you are right. Not very nasty, perhaps. So, in order to try and calm you – more is coming ;)

Nice post, CptEasy!
Though I wonder where are your remaining troops. Don't tell these on the West Wall are your only :)

Thanks! No, those are it, basically. And I have an infantry production focus. If you play a Sept38 vanilla campaign, there is actually quite little room to have any more ground troops in May39 than I have now. Well, I have a rough army corps in the Hamburg-area but they are definitely needed there in an MP-game.

But if Poland gives up and become German puppets – it's sort of a major bummer… Even if they are annexed it’s a bummer as the Polish army is completely wasted for nothing.
They'd be a GiE just as in any other game, but they'd be in a position to actually reinforce the Allies enough to make a serious push into Germany the second Danzig or War is triggered. If in doubt, they can be handed over as Expeditionary forces... at least that's my thought, not sure if it would work out ;)

Comments are good :). Ehum… you are right. Not very nasty, perhaps. So, in order to try and calm you – more is coming ;)

Hehehe fair enough, looking forward to the next post anyway; will be interesting to see if the allies pick up on activity and/or, hopefully, see the fall of Poland (I'm rooting for the Axis this time for obvious reasons ;))

Nice pocket!Inexplicable allied inactivity though.
Perhaps they have made a deal with the russians?
Once u take poland SU engages u and then a real allied offensive begins,these may be just probing attacks.Seems a little farfetched atm but might become reality.Because otherwise the allied response seems lethargic.

Chapter V – The Road to Warzaw

Countries played by humans: UK, France, Poland, Soviet Union, Germany, Italy, Japan

Recap: The Poznan pocket saw five Polish divisions being captured. Now, with the Krakow pocket sealed, Warsaw is the target, with Lodz in the middle of the road. RAF has been helping the Poles but more than that, the Brits have been absent. The French have made a few probing attacks but without and success.

28.jpg

June 4th, 1939

While the fight continued for Krakow in the south, Wehrmacht pressed on for Warsaw, and in order to take the capital they had to capture Lodz. Lodz contained a quite big contingent of Poles and even if it mostly consisted of HQs, the German leadership did not want to allow them to reach Warsaw. This dilemma gave birth to the first airborne operation of the war. The 1st Fallschirmjäger Division was dropped north east from Lodz, effectively blocking the shortest route to Warsaw. At the same time, the 1st Panzer Division fought south east from Lodz, in Warka, to seal off Lodz eastwards and to connect with the paratroopers.

::Heinrich Hahn hadn’t seen too much battle yet. Model’s 3rd Panzers had taken the heavier battles in the opening of the campaign and Rommel’s 1st had been behind the line waiting for the right moment to breach. The battle in Warna was similar to the earlier battles. They met an enemy, a HQ or infantry weakened from earlier battles, and crushed them within a few hours. They continuously moved forwards and did not get much sleep. The weather was good, however, and the battles hardly dangerous. It was a perfect way to drill your skills to perfection without risking your life too much. Even though the crew started to get tired after a month of offensives, Heinrich liked the life as a panzer crew man.::

::Lucas Bauer trained hard every day in base camp. So far they mostly trained their physical strength and endurance, and practiced ground combat tactics. The 4th of June was a special day as they got the news that their brothers in the 1st Fallschirmjäger Division had made their first combat jump which had been a success. Many of Lucas friends longed for their first combat jump and discussed how it would feel, but Lucas himself was quite happy if it would wait a little bit longer. Real battle still seemed so distant to him.::

30.jpg

June 6th, 1939

This glorious date, both the cities of Lodz and Krakow fell. In Krakow (lower picture), the fighting had been hard and long, while in Lodz, it was more a short and methodic slaughter. The battles of the Krakow pocket would continue yet for a while and in the north, the road to Warsaw lay open.

29.jpg

June 4th, 1939

France now initiated their second attack on the West Wall. This time, they found a slightly weaker spot and attacked with abandon – shocking the militia.

32.jpg

June 8th, 1939

The attack on Pirmasens intensified and the Grenztruppen had a very hard time defending themselves. They got reinforced by a motorized division, but the trucks had difficulties to get into position in the woods.

325.jpg

Pirmasens is one very beautiful spot by the river Rheine. The forests and the river also made a suitable defensive position.

33.jpg

June 10th, 1939

Pirmasens fell without the motorized reinforcements ever reaching the front. German forces immediately counter-attacked the French troops who conquered Pirmasens, but without really getting the best out of the situation. Lörzer’s Bf 109s had been grinded down and needed reinforcements and reorganization after severe losses, and all other branches of Luftwaffe were occupied in Poland. This gave the Allies the upper hand in the air and also the initiative on the ground.

The French push had little strategic value and the German leadership was not very worried. Several new infantry divisions had been deployed in the area and just needed some time to organize. Poland would not last very long and then more forces could be directed to the West Wall.

Still, to lose land to France was a distinct loss of prestige and Goebbels blamed it all on the militias who, in fact, were the only non-regular force in the entire Third Reich. He managed to make fun of the French army by stating that “the frog-eaters can only win when they attack men to old to serve as regular soldiers”.
….

Authors note: I was a little bit (but just a little) surprised that UK did not try anything nasty during my offensive against Poland. Sure, they have based fighters and bombers in Poland and my still fairly weak Luftwaffe had problems to cope – but that even fight did not do much to stop my ground troops. And no Brit has been visible in France either. I guess he have chosen to play safe and preserve strength to what’s to come. Still, it was a relief to not have a third front (like I opened in “Years of Jolly Carnage” during “Operation Trident”).

35.jpg

June 13th, 1939

The last part of the plan - Warsaw. The troops in Königsberg have been lashing out and pressed the Poles back from the north. Coming from the south on the east flank, the two Panzer divisions under Rommel and Model are pressing forwards east of Warsaw while infantry secure the provinces west of Warsaw.

37.jpg

June 18th, 1939

5 days later, Warsaw and Ostrow are surrounded and under attack. In the east, Grodno is captured. A huge contingent of Polish troops and HQs are surrounded and surrendered just north west of Warsaw. Partly thanks to the paradrop, these troops are not in Warsaw now.

Author’s note: If I have calculated things right, Poland will surrender after the fall of Warsaw without me having to take Danzig as well. Grodno gives 2 vp and had to be taken, but just as expected, it was weakly defended by some militias.

Poland is more or less doomed. Even with Pirmasens lost, the Allied pressure must be described as quite low. With Poland gone, the war will enter a new phase. The question is - how will that phase look?

I thought ur campaign in poland was a prudent and clean setpiece.
Poland is gone and unless something i'm missing the allied efort in the west was laughable.

Exciting update there :)

I half expected some sort of major offensive open up with hidden british/french units behind the front to attempt to force their way through the hole that was punched through the west wall, as that would really be the only strategic reason for taking that province...That didn't materialise so it's left me quite confused really as to what the allied intentions are. In terms of any allied operation, my guess is that they have a 2 week window at most in which to start one, as after then the troops from the eastern front will be far too large in number and quality for any allied attack to be worthwhile. If nothing comes in 2 weeks (presumably in the next update) then we shall pretty much know for sure if the allied strategy lies in pure defence or some sort of delaying action. I'm intrigued to say the least ;)

Speculation aside, now onto your side of work - All I can say really, is wow. By taking a more methodical approach and "slow blitzkrieg" tactic, you were able to cover all bases and manage to take very few losses in a relatively low risk strategy; all of those encirclements certainly were impressive, creating that many pockets against a human player. Poland, as you say, won't last long now so all in all there's not really any way in which you could have done better on the eastern front so far.

Your AARs always do seem gripping anyway, thanks again :)

Am I the only one who thinks that the Allies are wasting a big opportunity? I mean, if they don't do anything know, then they will be on defence at least for the several months. Unless they planned something big, one could say that Germany is on the right track.

The allies are going for a full on defensive posture, if the UK has been producing armour, they can drop that in with massed French infantry and stop the Germans in northern France, the French fleet secures against landings in the med and the British fleet secures the channel. Then once it's certain that the attack had been halted, the SU DoWs germany to clean up, japan cant help them as they are still in china and even if they did, it will take 6 months before the SU players knows anything about it.

This is certainly the strategy I would take, especially after seeing Operation Trident fail in the previous AAR. It would seem that against a competent human player, a 1939 allied offensive is impossible to successfully pull off.

Japan is not busy in China anymore. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Japan tried to attack Burma and India. By conquering some islands in the Indian Ocean they can try to help the Axis in Africa, too.

The Allies can't hope to stall the Axis everywhere. As long as the Axis keeps the initiative, it has a chance.

It was only around 1 month ago that Japan managed to annex Guaxie Clique (sp). I doubt they have finished off Nat China in a month.
Either way even if they get 1-2 months between the halting of the german advance in western europe and the falling of Nat China, that is plenty of time for the SU to drive a motorised wedge to Berlin. I dont know how many mobile units they start with in 38 but they have more than enough to concentrate and force a hole in the, probably thin, german defences.
India is not worth that much if in 1-2 months Germany will fall, it would allow the British and the French to concentrate 75% of thier fleet in the Asian Theatre. This would choke off the Japanese on the mainland while the SU redeploys over to the East and sweeps down through manchuria.

Great update! Indeed the French do not seem like much to worry about. How is your production looking? And have you been sinking any Brit convoys already?

Can’t tell you anymore about my production than I already have due to sneaky Allied spies in the forum ;) I don’t have any raiding parties out. As UK are in war only with me, it would have been so easy for them to initiate a massive sub-hunter operation. I will keep my U-boats in the docks for the time being.

Exciting update there :)

I half expected some sort of major offensive open up with hidden british/french units behind the front to attempt to force their way through the hole that was punched through the west wall, as that would really be the only strategic reason for taking that province...That didn't materialize so it's left me quite confused really as to what the allied intentions are. In terms of any allied operation, my guess is that they have a 2 week window at most in which to start one, as after then the troops from the eastern front will be far too large in number and quality for any allied attack to be worthwhile. If nothing comes in 2 weeks (presumably in the next update) then we shall pretty much know for sure if the allied strategy lies in pure defense or some sort of delaying action. I'm intrigued to say the least ;)

Am I the only one who thinks that the Allies are wasting a big opportunity? I mean, if they don't do anything know, then they will be on defence at least for the several months. Unless they planned something big, one could say that Germany is on the right track.

No you're not :p But like I say, I reckon there's probably roughly another 2 week opportunity for the allies to do something, although they're leaving things a bit late if they are planning on doing something...

It was obvious to me that they would not go for any large scale operation “Trident-style” or similar. That would have had to start quite shortly after Germany DOWing Poland to be effective. So the Allies have something else planned (as I was sure they’d plan something clever…). Could be a new defensive strategy or perhaps something else… (see below)

The allies are going for a full on defensive posture, if the UK has been producing armour, they can drop that in with massed French infantry and stop the Germans in northern France, the French fleet secures against landings in the med and the British fleet secures the channel. Then once it's certain that the attack had been halted, the SU DoWs germany to clean up, japan cant help them as they are still in china and even if they did, it will take 6 months before the SU players knows anything about it.

Japan is not busy in China anymore. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Japan tried to attack Burma and India. By conquering some islands in the Indian Ocean they can try to help the Axis in Africa, too. The Allies can't hope to stall the Axis everywhere. As long as the Axis keeps the initiative, it has a chance.

The other though was off course that SU would DOW Germany in the back. From the experience from Wildfires I somehow suspected they would not go for that option. But if they would, Axis was quite sure, similar to what Masta Mark suggests, the Soviet DOW would come the minute when Germany DOWed Belgium. In that case, Germany would really be stuck in a hard place. But we had some plans for this eventuality as well.

Next chapter coming later this week.

This is certainly the strategy I would take, especially after seeing Operation Trident fail in the previous AAR. It would seem that against a competent human player, a 1939 allied offensive is impossible to successfully pull off.

I wouldn't exactly call last AAR's Operation Trident a failure just because the UK failed to conquer all of Germany. That was not the goal of the landings. In what the UK set out to do, it succeeded spectacularly: It threw the German player into disarray and he lost a lot of his resource and IC production during that time - It might also have impacted his production queue quite severely. Not to mention that it reliefed a lot of pressure from the Polish player. For the price of only 2 brigades, it was an excellent operational victory.

I guess the Allies really intend to wait in defense for a Russian backstab. Hopefully Germany knows what it's doing. :)

Soviet power in 1939 is being way overestimated,in 1939 their officer ratio is disastrous..units downright obsolete and tech and organization of divisions subpar with poor leadership available.Either they can tech or they can pump officers can't do both.
Only their armour is off any good offensively....german infantry on the defensive in 1939 can easily hold off soviet infantry 3 times its number especially with territorial pride and much better divisional commanders.
This was demonstrated in wildfires,however capt easy unlike in taht scenario can't take the offensive with too many encirclements as he lacks armour so u quick counterthrust at moscow while holding the seigfried line is probably out of the question.
Anyway interesting situation.