• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Interesting situation,but what would be really gamey is if russia dowed wehr during poland then it would a impossible situation for germany ,brits french russia plus poland,and with 38 start gg more or less,it should be taken care this doesn't happen as poland could give russia military access i think?In reality germany would never attack poland risking a two front war as wehrmacht high command flatly told hitler it was near impossible for germany to win such a conflict.

Can't wait to see the important cheese-related incidents occuring near Johann.

How about a peaceful conclusion of the matters because of the deliciousness of alpine cheese? Definitly a possibility in my book.

Can't wait to see the important cheese-related incidents occuring near Johann.

How about a peaceful conclusion of the matters because of the deliciousness of alpine cheese? Definitly a possibility in my book.

That would be a real cheesy peace, wouldn't it ;) More cheesy stories tomorrow.

Chapter II - The road to war

Countries played by humans: UK, France, Poland, Soviet Union, Germany, Italy, Japan

8.jpg

February, 1939

::Heinrich Hahn and his 1st Panzer Division had been based behind the Oder River during the winter. They were still far away from the Polish border but the talk was that war would surely come. In January they got a new divisional commander, Erwing Rommel. Heinrich had just seen him a couple of times when the major general came down to inspect the troops and even talk to people low in rank. He seemed a solid guy to Heinrich.::

::So far, they were three divisions under lieutenant general “Schneller-Heinz” Guderian. He was said to be the father of tank warfare - the way Heinrich and his fellows were trained. Heinrich’s tank commander, Michael Wittmann, had very high thoughts of Guderian and felt confident that their superior doctrines and skill would be the most powerful tool for victory. Heinrich in turn had very high thoughts of his tank commander and was sure his words were true. The gunner, a man called Bobby, thought the same and he and Heinrich quickly became friends.::

::Under Rommel’s command, they continued to train their Blitzkrieg tactics. The task of their panzer corps would most certainly be to blitz deep into Poland and lead the way for the infantry. Heinrich could barely wait for the war to come and he shared his thoughts with his fellow squad members, with whom he already felt a growing friendship. With few exceptions they felt like him. They were young and immortal, and they wanted to give Germany its grandness back and pay back to all those nations that had imposed the decade of poverty on them and their youth. The time was ripe.::

9.jpg

March, 1939

Since mid January, the Japanese forces hade mainly made successful offensives in the north and in the south, while the center was a stalemate. It was obvious, however, that China and her allies had little to do except stalling Japans march to victory.

…..

For now on – Poland have a player.

1-1.jpg

March 23rd, 1939

::The 1st Panzer Division was strengthened by a brigade of armored cars, transferred from a motorized division on the west front. Heinrich thought it was interesting with so many different vehicles in the division and when he was not training for the war, that everybody was sure to come, he visited the other brigades and made friends with other mechanics – helping them out. Several times, he wished that Johann could have been there with him, so they could have enjoyed these powerful vehicles together.::

::Johann Keller, being far away from any kinds of troops, cursed the hostilities in the world. Fortnum and Mason had paid handsomely for the first batch of cheese and Johann had felt like a king. Even if his family had a fair bit of land, they seldom had very much money. It felt so good to give a little bit of luxury to them. Also, secretly, Johann had been slightly envious of his older brother who had become an infantryman and thus received much honor back home. Now, Johann was the one everybody talked about.::

::But it would not last. Fortum and Mason did not want a second batch. Even though they said the cheese was delicious, the problem was that German products did not sell in London anymore and costumers even got annoyed by their appearance. Kaiser! What bad luck! Johann and Lucas had thought about ways to counter this but when it was clear that Johann couldn’t offer Lucas any more jobs, the tall man, always thinking short-term if at all, looked for other jobs.::

::Lucas found, however, that most jobs now days pointed in the directions of Wehrmacht. As girls around him found soldiers being attractive and some of his friends received a ridiculous amount of status after they became soldiers, Lucas started to drift in this direction. Rumors said it would be war with the Poles – a short and quick one – and then it would be peace again. Lucas though it’d be a nice adventure after all. The guys said they’d be heroes afterwards. Well, that sounded nice. Still, he had liked that business trip to London with Johann.::

::It all came down to pure coincident – as it usually did for Lucas. A recruiter in a smart uniform, medals and an iron cross, came to the village. He was a good speaker too and Lucas was swept away by grand nationalistic feelings and before his head cleared up he had signed on as an infantryman. He didn’t feel sorry about it, though. His whole life was just a series of coincident. You could just shrug, follow the path in front of you and make the best of it.::

2-1.jpg

April 25th, 1939

German is mobilizing after a several week long dispute with the Poles about the Danzig corridor. Would the Poles back down?

::Johann Keller heard the news on the radio and simply closed his eyes. What madness. He just did not have words for it. His last hope for a deal with Fortnum and Mason crumbled. Luckily, he had just got an offer from an Italian businessman. He had gone to Milano in the beginning of the month and it now appeared it was met with success. Still, cheese from the Alps where a lot less attractive in Italy than in Britain, which was painfully clear when he looked at the price per kilo of cheese. This would not make him rich. Still, the money earned would sustain him in his further pursuit for the perfect deal.::

::Lucas Bauer had made his officer notice him. It was not that he was brighter than average or hit better with the rifle, but his physical qualities and mental endurance made him stand out. Also, he was the kind of character that never got grumpy or sour. He could always muster a joke and a smile no matter what hell the drill sergeants dragged them through. One of his officers suggested that Lucas would apply for the new (second) paratrooper division that was about to be created. Lucas passed the trials with little problems and therefore left the regular infantry.::

Authors note: The attack on Poland is one post away. The war is soon here. The question is - how will USSR react? And what will Allies do? They will probably not repeat "Operation Trident" as I executed it in Years of Jolly Carnage but I expect them to do more than just sit back. The questions is what...

Last edited:
Those updates are smaller and smaller! :p I miss your old, long posts.

China is clearly too weak, but there is nothing you can do about it right now. The Allies will likely try to create a proper defence line in France, although if you go for the SU early on, they may try to attack you ;)

After Japan is done with China, they may attack either USSR or the Allies - they will have the initiative.

I don t really know the inside working of the game, but if SU and UK and France dow Germany when you attack Poland, and are agressive, time of worries will come soon.

Harden your heart !

Those updates are smaller and smaller! :p I miss your old, long posts.

After Japan is done with China, they may attack either USSR or the Allies - they will have the initiative.

Now, Cybvep – the modern person is far too accustomed to get what they want right away or not at all. It is good to have to wait a little. But, I must admit, the initial posts were a little short for my taste too. It’s a result of me being too eager to start. I should have waited at least one week. We have only reached the first days of 1940 so far. After next gaming session, I will be able to continue with longer and more violence-filled posts as there’s a lot of material coming up.

Yes, without a buffed China, Japan really has the position to do whatever they like. This is likely our last game with an unmodded-China.

I don t really know the inside working of the game, but if SU and UK and France dow Germany when you attack Poland, and are aggressive, time of worries will come soon.

Harden your heart !

I guess so – if that is the path they chose…

Tensions rising and I hate cliffhangers :p Good update though.

A life without tension would be like a Christmas dinner without schnapps ;)

without a buffed China, Japan really has the position to do whatever they like.

There are indeed quite a numer of opportunities for early post-china Japan, presumably you will go for a historical grab of lower east asia and then India. What was your long term strategic thinking when you made your choice? Usually people in MP never go for the US or USSR early, and it would be interesting to see if you contemplated a more unconventional strategy.

I second cyvep the tension is reaching breaking point..get on with it.:D

Hey CptEasy, just thought I'd say I enjoyed your last AAR, albeit perhaps a little premature in the ending; I would have thought the situation may have been salvageable if they got bogged down in the UK and SU declared from the east, guess we'll never know though :p (I forgot to comment before so thought I may as well put it here)

Anyway, looking forwards to seeing an AAR of yours from the other side of the war. Hopefully it will be just as fun to read and I'll certainly be following it intensely, good luck :)

Hey CptEasy, just thought I'd say I enjoyed your last AAR, albeit perhaps a little premature in the ending; I would have thought the situation may have been salvageable if they got bogged down in the UK and SU declared from the east, guess we'll never know though :p (I forgot to comment before so thought I may as well put it here)

Anyway, looking forwards to seeing an AAR of yours from the other side of the war. Hopefully it will be just as fun to read and I'll certainly be following it intensely, good luck :)

From a strategial point, the end was premature - but not from game-playing point of view. A slight difference. Anyway - thanks for the kind words ADEE. Hope to see more comments from you :)

@Frozen - can't tell you too much as its too early in the game. However, this game-plan will at least not be conventional. If it is clever is a nother matter... ;)

@Traks&Austerlitz - game night tonight so new post probably tomorrow if I don't get bogged down on an "after work". Blood will be shed.

Last edited:
So... Any updates?

Hehe... As always, Cybvep, your spirit is refreshing! Still, I do have some office hours to kill and a beer or two to sink... but then you'll have a post :)

@FinFish - Great having you onboard again!

Can't wait to see what the sneaky Axis have planned for the Allies this time around!

I've been lurking, watching the two past AARs and thy have been fantastic. It will be great to see how this one goes an will be following this one much enthusiasm.
I'm sure it will live upto my expectations.