• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter 1 - An important decision is being made

Starting countries played by humans: UK, France, (Poland), Soviet Union, Germany, Italy, Japan
Polish player could't join in for the first session and missed out on the first months.

::It was a bright summer’s day. The stream was running playfully along the green valley with cows grazing the northern side and an open forest covering the southern side. Above the tree-tops, in the far distant, the northernmost part of the Alps was visible with its white-tipped mountains. The sun shone done from a clear blue sky. It was one of these perfect summer’s days.::

::Johann Keller was surrounded by some of his best friends and they were all hanging out by the stream, sun-bathing, swimming, playing or flirting with the girls. Here, in the southern parts of Germany, the dark years after the World War had not been as devastating as in the cities. They always had the land to turn too. Still, after Adolf Hitler had seized power there were more jobs and more money coming in. Everybody was happy now. It was a brand new time when everything was possible. The yoke of the World War was gone and Hitler would now restore German greatness. Or so Johann Keller’s father said. It was a good time for an upcoming businessman and Johann had some ideas.::

::Heinrich Hahn, on the other hand, a short stocky youngster had even greater dreams. He just came splashing up from the water, took the miller’s boy, Walter, around the waist and threw him into the water. Heinrich’s family had a history with a close link to the military and Heinrich had already enlisted. The Wehrmacht was growing fast in size and strength. Hitler would take back what Germany had lost and Heinrich wanted to be a part of it. They had a brand new weapon. The Panzers. Heinrich talked about it all the time. He would be part of a panzer crew and was very proud of it too. Heinrich threw himself down on the blanket in the grass beside Johann with a panting laugh.::

::There were lot of other boys around sharing Johann’s or Heinrich’s dreams. One of them who didn’t have any specific dream was Lucas Bauer. He was a tall and fair youngster with a short, blond hair and clear blue eyes. He was the girl’s favorite and his successes in that game made him a hero amongst the boys. They all wanted to be his friend. But Lucas sat with Johann and Heinrich. The three of them were the closest of friends and had been so since they could walk. Now, it was the summer of 1938 and they were almost grownups. The adventure of life was awaiting them…::

1.jpg

September, 1938

The Anschluss was one thing, being supported by many, even within Austria. The Treaty of Munich was something entirely different with Czechoslovakia trying to resist with some support from the Commonwealth. Still, it all went Hitler’s way.

::Heinrich Hahn celebrated this and took it as a first step for the future greatness to come. He had now started to train with the mighty panzerkampfwagens. When he left the village he was all dressed up in is tankers uniform. He actually looked smart indeed and the girls, who normally did not fancy the short over-energetic boy, now flocked around him. However, as he made the mistake of talking too much of technical details they soon lost interest. Lucas Bauer was there of course, head taller than any guy, and as he was genuinely worried about Heinrich possible going to war, the girls thought him to be sooo gorgeously sensitive.::

::Johann was also worried, but with a slightly different perspective. A war did not suit his plans at all. Germany was already on a peaceful path to greatness. Why dig up the old corpses? His plans of trade needed open borders. Soft cheese was the thing and the cheese coming from the cows close to the Alps had a unique taste. If he could reach the markets in Britain, it would soon spread. Brits would love this cheese for their afternoon tea – Johann just knew it. It would be familiar enough but still a bit daring. Sudetland? Johann just did not care – but many around him did.::

2.jpg

December, 1938

::Heinrich Hahn was now part of a tank crew and had gotten a brand new Panzer III. He would be the driver and mechanic of this modern piece of war-machine. It was a grand moment. He was privately disappointed that Czechoslovakia gave up without a fight. It would have been a good start on his life-adventure. With Czechoslovakia gone they got transport orders closer to the Polish borders. Heinrich and Johann had always been interested in all the big wehicles around their farms, the engines and the mechanics. Even if he had dreamed to be a gunner, blasting the enemies away, his true skill was a driver and mechanic. In this, he was equaled by few while in shooting he was worse then most.::

::Johann Keller and Lucas Bauer was in London when it happened. Johann had brought samples of his cheese there and used Lucas to sell it. Lucas just had this superb way with people. He succeeded in getting a medium level buyer at Fortnum and Mason to order a small batch of cheese for their selection days that would come in a few months. Lucas and Johann celebrated in Soho that night, and experienced things that were beyond fantasy for two southern-German farmer’s guys. The day after, they noticed that Brits reacted differently on their German accent. Lot of them was peacefully hostile. It was worrying indeed. Johann decided to practice further on his English to wash more of the accent away. He dearly hoped Hitler would be satisfied with Czechoslovakia but somehow he doubted that.::

4.jpg

December, 1938

In the east – Japan is gaining ground. They have formed a pocket close to the eastern shore of China…

3.jpg

Several Chinese divisions and HQs are caught in the pocket.

5.jpg

Mid-January, 1939

Japan had made substantial gains in one and a half month, including eradicating the pocket. Only in the south east of China have the Japanese troops been forced to retreat slightly.

7-6.jpg

January, 1939

This was hectic days for the German leadership. There were a lot of decisions to be taken and the outside world tried to intervene in several ways. Well, Abwehr and Wilhelm Canaries were well funded and would cope with the foreign spies.

Joachim von Ribbentrop who had his ties with the Russians lengthy discussed with Hitler about potential benefits with a non-aggression pact. In the end, they decided they did not wanted to soil themselves dealing with the Rus. No pact!

Author’s note: There you have it. No pact. In SP-games, even on hard level, it has been easy to conquer Poland, Benelux and France within quite short time. But with a pact, you have to wait ages before being able to break the pact with SU. As an AI-run Soviet never DOWs Germany in the back it has been easy, if yet very gamey. Now, I wanted to try this on the guys. Would they dare break the peace? If not, I would crush them. If SU DOWd me in the back… Could I cope with it? I didn’t have the answer but I was eager to find out. I though it an interesting set up, especially since I, the HR-guru, had argued for a forced Rib-Mol pact. Alea iacta est. Let’s see how it all turns out. Any suggestions ;) ?

Last edited:
I'd say no pact means Soviets can go to war when they like, but probably there is some homerule preventing it. Bold move, as Germany can't support fight on two fronts. It always has been main reason for making pact for me.

Either that or go for Russia first. The Allies have a hard time dowing anybody and you could move around Poland by going for the Baltic states while Italy snatches up Turkey.

My my, I'd strike as fast as I could if I were soviets, while Germany is still engaged in the west...
Assuming my building policies have not lead me to have say, 50% officer ratio or something like that makes a war at this time practical impossibility.

(Doesn't no Molotov Ribbentrop mean Soviets don't get winter war nor annaxation of Baltics?, I'd definitely strike if it's possible...)

This actually makes things interesting for Poland. Poland could ally with Germany and attack the Soviets first, which is fairly easy since it shares the same government type. That would leave the Allies sitting around waiting until threat was high enough to declare war on their own. Of course, these posts are a game-year behind, so I can only guess what actually happened.

This actually makes things interesting for Poland. Poland could ally with Germany and attack the Soviets first, which is fairly easy since it shares the same government type. That would leave the Allies sitting around waiting until threat was high enough to declare war on their own. Of course, these posts are a game-year behind, so I can only guess what actually happened.

Incredibly gamey? Anyway Poland won't have neutrality to DoW SOV. Also, the Wehrmacht would be supplied from Poland, not Germany, which might be an issue.

Yes, in one game Germany also went for no Poland split and puppeted Poland.
That was a bad idea as there were issues with supplying through puppet, which should be solved by now.

I'd say no pact means Soviets can go to war when they like, but probably there is some homerule preventing it. Bold move, as Germany can't support fight on two fronts. It always has been main reason for making pact for me.

We have no House Rule preventing it, so it is a distinct possibility. However, it doesn’t mean Germany is doomed – in HoI (in reality I’m sure it would). If you check out my first AAR you’ll see an example when it worked – thought it was due to miscalculations that time.

Either that or go for Russia first. The Allies have a hard time dowing anybody and you could move around Poland by going for the Baltic states while Italy snatches up Turkey.

I must admit, I am too much a sucker for history to do something like that. And in HoI vanilla, if Germany does more than 1 DoW that is not Poland, Allies will be able to join in anyway. In Wildfires that also meant USA could join in… in 1939. I don’t want that to happen.

(Doesn't no Molotov Ribbentrop mean Soviets don't get winter war nor annaxation of Baltics?, I'd definitely strike if it's possible...)

Soviets doesn’t get anything from Poland and no Baltic States. Don’t know about winter war. Yes, I think they have to strike.

Once again, I’m too much of history nerd to even think in those terms. I think we have to take your thoughts and pull them through our House Rule grinder until next game ;)

China is losing ground very fast. It will be beaten in 1939.

I'm waiting for more action :D

You’ll get more action, Cybvep, don’t ye doubt. And yes, China is losing fast. Too fast if you ask me. We will buff them up until next game.

Last edited:
Very interesting strategy.

Im guessing that your main emphasis will be on projecting land power, especially tanks, into Europe while neglecting navies, africa and sealion. Kind of a schlieffen plan but with moscow as target? I guess you will have to rely on Italy and Japan to keep allies occupied while you smash the SU

Btw, I dont know when the descision comes, but couldnt the SU just not do the purges and instead retain their officers to ight immidiately?

Im guessing that your main emphasis will be on projecting land power, especially tanks, into Europe while neglecting navies, africa and sealion. Kind of a schlieffen plan but with moscow as target? I guess you will have to rely on Italy and Japan to keep allies occupied while you smash the SU

Btw, I dont know when the descision comes, but couldnt the SU just not do the purges and instead retain their officers to ight immidiately?

Yes, they could, at the cost of not being able to enact good laws due to lack of unity.

well , in the game that only kills leaders and does nothing to officer ratio ...

Oh, my mistake. I always thought it reduces officer ratio too. But it still does somewhat weaken russia or, at least if they want to fight immidiately?

Code:
###########################
# The Great Officer Purge #
###########################
	great_officer_purge = {
		potential = {
			tag = SOV
			not = { has_country_flag = the_great_officer_purge }
		}
		allow = {
			minister_alive = 4002		# Iosif Stalin
			year = 1937
		}
		effect = {
			set_country_flag = the_great_officer_purge
			national_unity = 25
			manpower = 250
			dissent = 5

minister_of_security = 4041
			chief_of_staff = 4051
			chief_of_navy = 4061
			chief_of_air = 4065
Taken from the wiki.

Last edited:

I can’t comment you build-up suggestions as it’s too early in the game to let than knowledge out. The Purge, as is seen in Reis post, happens 1937 and thus before this game starts. The SU player have no choice.

I will follow closely this one, as I did for the last.

Go on, France is watching you !!!!

Good. France have a distinct role to play, I promise you that.

And to ease up your day I must post this link that was sent to me today. The combination of the music, the action and the fierce soldiers doing it – and the total lack of relation to HoI – makes it simply hilarious for the likes of us. With paratroopers like this I would defeat Soviet within weeks.... Enjoy.

Last edited:
And to ease up your day I must post this link that was sent to me today. The combination of the music, the action and the fierce soldiers doing it – and the total lack of relation to HoI – makes it simply hilarious for the likes of us. With paratroopers like this I would defeat Soviet within weeks.... Enjoy.
LOL. One of the strangest and sexiest commercials I've ever seen :D