• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Very interesting AAR. You are incorrect about event that dragged Italy to war with allies. The game mechanics works this way: if you are a faction member and are at war with allies, dow on comintern WILL bring all axis members that are at war with allies, only members that are at peace won't auto join war.

This was a really fun AAR; I will certainly follow whichever one you start next. I wonder how you folks will do when/if FtM is incorporated!

Ah, finally. The conclusion has come! Good job, Cpt! A well-played game, indeed.

I think that the turning point was your effective defence of the Reich. Once the Allied units were repulsed, you gained the initiative which you didn't lose during the rest of the game. It's easy to criticise someone's strategy after the game is done, but IMO the Soviets couldn't do much because they were ill-prepared for war and too defensive. If I were the SOV player, I would attack with all my might through Lithuania in order to put as much pressure as possible while Germany was engaged in the West and I would withdraw my troops stationed in the Far East to Central Siberia instead of fighting the Japs head on. These two actions were the biggest mistakes of the SOV player.

However, generally I would say that the skill levels of the players in this game was quite well-balanced.

Cpt, you should play the Soviet Union or Italy for a change of pace. Also, someone should definitely play Nationalist China in the next game, in order to give the Japs as much trouble as possible.

Great AAR as always, and equally great play by you ;)

I can't help but think the UK player was far too cautious in his approach, with the situation in the east, he should have thrown everything he had into France in an attempt to at least cause you some problems...What happened to those mech units he researched early on, and I'm sure he must have had many more division in the UK by 1941 at his disposal.

Oh well, things like this seem much easier to say in hindsight - Great game and I'm looking forward to your next one! (Would be interesting how you fare as the USSR in the next game maybe? ;))

Excellent game; very dramatic at the end by the brits but too little too late.

Congrats on your victory! It seemed to me the main downfall was Allies & Comintern not supporting each other at the right times - but that's the benefit of hindsight and being an outside I guess :)

Is that a Soviet unit in France among the Brits?

When did Oman join the Axis? Did Japan 'liberate' it? With the closure of the Red Sea, the Brits need to have a look at the Suez or they may face the IJN knocking on the gates in force.

What is Japan doing currently? I imagine he is partially building infra in east asia and India, simply because there's not much else he can do. Anyway, comments from any other player would be great.

Japanese player here.

Japan was actually building mostly fleet throughout the campaign. The IJN never really got any hard resistance from the RN, as Maxyboy (I think quite skillfully) played a delaying campaign against me. The RN would have been eaten up by the IJN if he had stayed and fought. Oman and Yemen was puppied, as was Iraq. The largest problem japan faced was supply. I was producing supply for about 100 IC for most of the game, with good techs researched. I was also in a constant state of fuel deprivation, as all fuel was shipped out from mainland Japan to asiatic supply stations. Many japanese sailors had to row their CVS and BBs to get them away from Japan, and this really hurt my advance. Had the game progressed any further, I would have taken Persia to get their fuel and oil stockpile.

My thoughts on the game:

1) Besides the mistake that he made in the first portions of the game (the surround of the most eastern part of his army), Daphne played an excellent delaying campaign. It took years to get to any important areas. During some portions of the game, some parts of my front were OOS, and if he had made probing attacks then, I would have been even more delayed.

2) As for Maxyboy, I think he made the correct choice in abandoning asia. He could have given Italy a fatal blow when he attacked Greece, but the luck was against him. That could have slowed down the german campaign against the russian, but I think they would have fallen anyway. I was very glad that he did not attack my convoy lines with his subs, and I think that could have slowed me down considerably.

3) Japan was very strong when the game ended. I belive I could have withstood an attack by the USN for quite some time, and I had many ships in the construction line.

But I think the game was won by CptEasy´s patented double-fronted defence of Germany. When France fell, I think both I and Cpt Easy thought that we had won the game. USSR really had no chance to stand against all three axis by itself so early in the game.

Shame that USA couldn't become involved in the war, Axis blitzkrieg lead by the grand captain himself was too much to bear evidently, though I remember there were some tough times on the eastern front and the whole two front war. Epic game and AAR but sadly I was a little too busy to really follow this for quite some time. My hard work IRL was rewarded though (place at the university) so in that sense I'm extremely glad I wasn't actually following this AAR for quite some time :D

I hope we get another awesomely fabulous MP AAR by you guys. Personally I'd like to see an cpteasy play USa, maybe that way they end up actually fighting in the war, or something that he didn't play in earlier AARs, maybe soviet?

I've read all of these AAR's and they are excellent. Love to see players facing off instead of the AI. I do have some thoughts;

Perhaps you should allow the American (as a player) and the Brit to send expeditionary forces to USSR, representing the vast amount of lend lease equipment and resources sent to them by the allies. At present you do not seem to have a mechanic for this.

Is it possible for the Us to send expeditionary forces without being at war? it's been a while... if they can, that should be allowed -to the soviet- if possible.

Also, it might be a good idea to let the soviets build reserve units during a certain time period, perhaps once the war has started for half a year to a year or something, to represent the vast amount of troops the soviets raised at the outset of the russian war. These units would not be usable for combat immediately of course as they would need reinforcements, but they could be deployed further back and then create a "second wave" during 1942, giving the russians some more staying power.

Your bitter peace conditions might need a looking at, there were no guarantees that the soviets would surrender after the fall of leningrad/Moscow/stalingrad, especially not unless the vast aeas of Baku were taken or the rebuilt factories in the urals.

The game could also use some tighter supply rules I think, that would have to be hard coded. There does not seem to be enough supply and weather problems in the game right now, especially not in Asia. Something for paradox to rectify perhaps.

Another saga has been concluded.

I've enjoyed this AAR very much and it was interesting to follow.

Thanks for the good times and I am looking forward to the next one.