• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Just picked this AAR up, as I'm currently working on a mod for me and a few of my friends to play a WWII in miniature in South America. I just wanted to see how other MP games went--and there's only one word for it (at least here): insanity.

Freaking subscribed...

unfortunately its a bit of a problem with photobucket that you can exceed your limit due to the number of visitors (remember every time you read this thread those images are accessed and drawn across. Not much that CptEasy can do about unfortunately.

Yeah photobucket screwed me over for this way back as well. Had to transfer over two hundred images to a new account on tinypic.com

Gee... Bastard Photobucket... *Deep sigh* I'll see what I can do. Probably wont send old pics to new account but will at least continue the story using another site for the pictures.

It says in my photobucket account "monthly bandwidth" is exeeded. Any photobucket veterans know if this means the pictures will come visible again once the monthly usage of this AAR has gone down? Or are they "gone" for good?

yes, they'll re-appear once the time limit is over. It can be a problem when you have a few large AARs in existence as if someone accesses an older one that counts against your current usage - must confess I've tended to use imageshack due to this residual problem (even if it does have the bad habit of randomly 'eating' images)

Khaz, Cybe and Loki: Thanks a lot for advices!

Filamu and von Uber: ...and thanks for cheering me on ;)

etepetete: Pics are up and runnin' again - but not due to any creative tricks for my part. Today, monthly badwith usage is only 4% so I guess we're good to go a little while until next overload ;)

I will try to use something else than photobucket for the rest of this AAR but due to vacation and some other irl-stuff I wont be able to keep up a rocket-pace on the posting so it might not become a problem anyway. New chapter coming up fairly soon depending on my success on the pic-issue.

But not quite sufficient to distract the German player from Russia, I expect that we will see several more landings in France/Netherlands. 2-3 distinct landing areas along the Atlantic coast and 1-2 in the Med would force serious action and coordination from Berlin/Rome, taking measurable pressure off Moscow. With Britain having withheld troops from India I expect this to be a real landing in force. How big are the Axis home theatres?

And nice to see you around, Frozen. Was some time ago. Almost though you had abandoned us ;)

Sudden Carnage

Chapter XXXVII – D-Day part II

Countries played by humans: UK, Soviet Union, Germany, Italy, Japan and USA.

Recap: Last months has been dark for the Allies and Commitern. The Red Army lost several terrible battles and lost a huge amount of troops in deadly pockets. Now, Wehrmacht I standing by the walls of Moscow itself. United Kingdom, having been active mostly in the Med, has now launched an attack on occupied France – surprising the weak German defense. The majority of Wehrmacht is bogged down in battles in the East.

xfnsar.jpg

January 23rd, 1941

Three days later. Two German divisions are surrounded and losing quickly. Japan landed paras to support but was advised to pull back, the same way as the HQ. There was just no way Wehrmacht could challenge British forces in the open with the few forces at hand.

Authors note: As you all realize – I had left the west quite weak. Now I paid the price…

rk0wn8.jpg

January 23rd, 1941

The plan was to build a defensive line behind the Seine River. Force was pulled from close and far to support this line. Paris must not fall.

Authors note: As seen on the dates. It took three days after I saw the attack (and probably four days from the initial British landing) before I started to pull chunks of forces from the east – like the 1st Panzer Division. They had a huge distance to traverse. Still, I feel the British attack is a little late. Had it been one month earlier, before Operation Kirov and sister-operations in the south, it would have hurt me much more. Now I actually could pull divisions away that did not have any critical role to play in the east. But – it is far from a harmless attack. With their motorized army and my few infantry units – they have an opportunity.

v5wisn.jpg

January 24th-27th, 1941

The British attack on France was followed by a successful naval operation against a wolf pack. This tactical victory was followed with diplomatic victory when Australia joined the Allies. And then United Kingdom they allow Russian movement through their lands? What kind of trick was that? Germany was more curious than afraid but it made the leadership suspiciously eye all of their borders and patrol the Baltic Sea even harder. What would come out of this? One last brave strike against the heart?

6xw3h0.jpg

January 23rd, 1941

While losing in the west, the Wehrmacht won the battle of Kirov, forcing some 10 exhausted Soviet divisions to flee towards Mosal’ks – the last Soviet province in the Kirov-pocket. And Mosal’ks was weak. While other Soviet strongholds, like Kirov, were rooted out, a single German infantry division kept the disorganized Red Army in Mosal’ks in check. The poor Russians had been running to the end of the line…

2nap7ir.jpg

January 26th, 1941

This was the glorious date when the last Soviet soldier surrendered in Mosal’ks. Operation Kirov was a success and the Kirov Pocket was no more. About 20 Soviet divisions, including some HQs had been defeated here. After the blows already delivered to the Red Army, concerning the loss of divisions, this was believed by the German leadership to be the final blow. The Bear was mortally wounded. It was not dead, but it would never rise again.
Still, the attack on Moscow had been delayed by a month.

vo505d.jpg

January 29th, 1941

With the battle of the Kirov Pocket being victorious and over with – Germany launched the attack of Moscow itself. It mostly consisted of infantry and one of the new heavy mechanized divisions. It seemed, however, like the Russian leadership chose not to try a foolish stand in the capital. They had only left a token defense. This would not become an epic battle.

oi6su1.jpg

January 29th, 1941

As the battle of Moscow raged on, the German blitz hit the retreating Soviet divisions around Brjansk – in the center of the East Front.

16llhcn.jpg

February 3rd to 11th, 1941

The Red Army was captured and did not break out of the Brjansk Pocket. After losing in Belye-Berega the Red Army retreated to Brjansk. The last Russian held on in Brjansk to the end of the month, but then the fascist tide had left Brjansk behind with only a few divisions to secure the victory.

2vlmnmt.jpg

February 6th, 1941

Weeks before the last shot was fired in the Brjansk, the 3rd Heavy Mechanized Divisions moved into Moscow and secured the last part of the Soviet capital after little more than a week of battle. As the mountains north east of Moscow soon was conquered too, the two Soviet garrison divisions were captured during their retreat and surrendered. The Bear kept bleeding.

2hyb1hf.jpg

January 30th, 1941

The Brits kept pushing in France. They had secured a broad and un-threatened bridge head and had no opposition as they moved forwards.

Authors note: The low stockpile symbol is just me being a little cheap on supply but I corrected it. It is of no strategic interest. I have no resource scarcity. And, if you look at the dates, Moscow is about to fall. Still, Daphne (Soviet) made sure I got close to no supply at all from that victory. The country that I can invite is Bulgaria, but with UK having presence in Greece I did not dare to do it.

Last edited:
Brest-Litovsk Redux? With so many Russian divisions ending up in POW camps, will the Heer be able to send the bulk of it's heavy forces back to France?

It seems the Russian player is getting (understandably) sloppy after facing the Axis onslaught for so long and facing somewhat of a lost cause. By the looks of it any new formations will be deployed in the Stalingrad area to try to defend the last meaningful city which would need to be held to help the allies, while the rest of the red army shall be held on the frontline to keep as much of the Wehrmacht as possible tied in combat.

In the west, it isn't inconceivable to think that the allies could liberate France, with their motorised force, few ready German formations, and I would guess many more landings to come. If this can be achieved, the allies could have a "second chance" at defending France. The problem of course is time, and the inevitability of large Axis forces making their way west very shortly.

One other thing; has the brief to the Italians changed at all with these events in France? I assume Britain will not have the strength to launch a large scale invasion of Italy with so many forces elsewhere, so perhaps some of their troops could be sent to defend France?

Wraith - Welcome on board. No - not the bulk. Still need them for Leningrad and pushing towards Stalingrad. Its difficult to protect all captured land as I have too few troops to cover up and keep pace at the same time. But I can pull some... at least to cover up somewhat. Depends how much the Brits are coming with and how fast.

ADEE - Italy will continue to focus on home-defense and the little army corps they have against Soviet. Britain have total naval dominance in the Med so they can easilly attack wherever. As an attack against Italy feels like a possible "desperate attack" it is important to cover up carefully. Also, Italy is quite active with air missions against the Brits in the Med which is not really visible in this AAR.

Lastly - I just saw one picture didn't come out in last chapter. Will fix it when I come back hope (traveling for the moment).

Must say, this AAR is quite epic!

You rock playing with Germany. Congrats

What's the IJN doing so far? They've covered the operations around India it seems, but what else are they doing? Are the Allies raiding Japanese convoys? Are the carriers doing something? Any chance to eventually support Italy around the eastern fringes of the Med?

Italy certainly needs to protect himself, but he can still contribute to the war on other ways than "just" air missions. Shoving a corps up to Italy should still be feasible, especially since the British player is using his best / fastest units up there, which dimishes the chances of the RN conducting landings in Italy proper quite a bit. In fact, the British player has to be careful as his units could be overrun if the Wehrmacht should find sufficient forces in the vicinity to stop them. There are probably up to 15 divisions in France (are there actually any British forces in Greece now?), which is quite a substantial force for the Brits, but nothing too dramatic for the Axis.

The Allies really need the USA to get involved.