• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
UK player from this game here.

The mechanized units. Cpt Easy, you caught that UK was researching those? Then you know what is in stock for you. ;-) Someone mentioned it was a bit too late. Mind you, I started the research pretty early. But of course the production can't match the German output.

The western front. Indeed the French player had put up a formidable line. Compared to most MP games he did have a couple of extra months of production. The abundance in troops even let him shift disorganized troops from frontline battles and put in well rested units in those battles. A short comment about visible light tanks. There was the option of France being on the offensive by now (had Germany not turned west). That is why France is a bit light tank heavy.

The German double offensive. Brilliant play by Cpt Easy of course. But still we are all experienced players and had prepared for this particular scenario. Our expectations was that either France or Russia could push while Germany had his attention (and bulk of forces) on the other front. We were all surprised by the ability of the German forces. Well, it ain't over until the fat lady sings...

Your troops are so awesome that you are able to conduct offensives on BOTH fronts at once. Impressive, although it's hard to tell whether the game balance is flawed or you simply chose a good strategy when it comes to research. The Soviets don't seem to be that numerous and the Allies are clearly being pushed back. The initiative is in your hands, but you still haven't overcome your biggest obstacle - MP/IC advantage of your enemies. That's why France needs to be a top priority - otherwise, you will bleed to death sooner or later. The Allies can afford attrition warfare. You cannot.

Fighting on two fronts at the same time, nice. It would be good to hear how RM and IJN are doing. Good luck to your glorious conquest.

Simultaneous offensives on both fronts? Without even reinforcing the east? Now, that is impressive. You deserve a medal for pure awesomeness in a multiplayer game. :) What the hell are the Allies and Soviets doing that you manage to push them back that easily? I guess the Soviets may have too many of their troops in the north - so be careful that you don't repeat the mistake of the French and get overextended to a counterattack.

I am a tad puzzled though as to how the offensives are going so smoothly, perhaps the Soviets have an extremely large reserve to counter attack with when you, in their eyes, over extend yourself? Seems an odd strategy to pursue however, given that the "Skiddel Showdown" did not produce good results for them.

Bow. :wacko: Supreme how ur doing this,looks effortless atm.....just shows also how deadly german troops are vis a vis sov in 1940 on the defense.
What is surprising me more is the sheer ease with which the western allies situated behind riverbanks are being decimated...i'm guessing 60% of the wehrmacht is in the west along with the panzers.....france and britain combined should be able to hold a riverline i think the paratroops are also creating doubts in the allied plans and forcing to keep extra troops in reserve. Though the bloodbath has been large scale but still its has been worth it because u have been able to gain considerable ground in the west.Again it was just terrifically fast u have reached ille de france.

The western front. Indeed the French player had put up a formidable line. Compared to most MP games he did have a couple of extra months of production. The abundance in troops even let him shift disorganized troops from frontline battles and put in well rested units in those battles. A short comment about visible light tanks. There was the option of France being on the offensive by now (had Germany not turned west). That is why France is a bit light tank heavy. The German double offensive. Brilliant play by Cpt Easy of course. But still we are all experienced players and had prepared for this particular scenario. Our expectations was that either France or Russia could push while Germany had his attention (and bulk of forces) on the other front. We were all surprised by the ability of the German forces. Well, it ain't over until the fat lady sings...

Firstly, when it comes to multitasking, this part wasn’t too hard as it was actually quite few battles simultaneous. Like 6 land battles and occasional air battles. During “Operation Storm” with the Allies coming from the west it was a lot busier. Many of these battles also took extremely long time - as much as two weeks – so I actually had plenty of time doing other things. And as you see and have commented – it was quite expensive going, manpower-wise. But as Austerlitz say – It is so worth it in this situation. With France’s “Wall of Flesh” there were really no way around (except the Maginot line). Also - worth emphesizing is that it took a lot of time and effort to bash through it. Honestly, I was also very surprised how easy it went. As the game has further unfolded I have spied many of the reasons and I don’t want to spoil the events by telling yet. One thing, which Maxyboy already stated, was that France built an offensive army (light tank divisions) which had to be used for defensive measures when they came out of the production line. Had he built for defensive warfare, he’d been a lot stronger I think. Another thing which you must not forget is the brilliant pocket Japan created in the Far East quite early in the war. They caught about 15 Soviet divisions or so. That is no small amount and must affect the Red Army also on the west front as I guess some Soviet reinforcements have been placed in the East. Well… and I AM quite satisfied how my research/build up scheme worked out. Even though events went far away from my lousy original plan, my troop set up worked out well with certain kind of new troops being deployed at the right time, and so on. But I won’t go into details there. There’s a few other things, concerning the Soviet production which I found out later, the hard way so to speak, but you must earn that knowledge by reading about it later on ;)

Also – as I have stated earlier, I think it unbalanced that Japan can wage war the way they do this early. But we will try to address that ‘till next game.

While it's impressive that you can maintain attacks on two fronts, it's a bit unneccessary. You're not in a position to really achieve much in the east and your priority is in the west anyway. If anything, a more concentrated effort to either shorten the frontline with the Soviets or to knock out France faster would be more sensible. You're unable to win a war of attrition, so your manpower level must be constant reminder that you shouldn't waste your units.

My guess is that the offensive in the east is not to achieve any spectacular goals but, rather, to prevent the soviets from mounting an offensive of their own whilst he's at a crucial stage in the west. Land gained would also be good for falling back and stalling a soviet offensive with more land to effectively fight an elastic defence.

ADEE is completely right here. I did not start any offensive “unprovoced” in the East so far. It was all in the form of counter offensives of some kind or another due to Soviet actions against me or the Italian forces. As Japan was constantly harassing the Rus in the Far East, I was quite happy to give him more to think about when he messed around on my sector ;)

PS: The fresh milk from Heinrich's village tasted so bad that he still recognizes the flavor after its been turned into stale powder? XD

Heh heh. Very attentive there, Dain :) Well, you now, mountain milk do have a special taste… I think… Not that I am an expert in milk, fortunately :)

UK player from this game here. The mechanized units. Cpt Easy, you caught that UK was researching those? Then you know what is in stock for you. ;-)

Heh heh… Well, DO bring them on ;) It is my job to know what you're up to... even though... ehum... it don't always work out...

Got all the way caught up with your awesome AAR -- well done all around making an engaging story! One n00bish question -- how does one attach individual brigades to divisions (like your S-P artillery to your armored divisions)? I thought it wasn't possible, at least in SF.

Nice to have you onboard, Avindian. It’s the same, as far as I know. You can release brigades from a division at any time (not if they just consist of 2 brigades though). If you want to merge, you just have to put the various brigades (or a small division and an extra brigade) in a province were you have no other divisions and then press the merge-button (-><-).

(But I thought the last game was stopped because CptEasy got too stressed with it...? Or did you pick it up at some point?)

Stressed… well… I got toasted. Was crushed. Lost :(

We actually wanted to revive it to play out Seelöwe, but we realized that saved belonged to an old patch and did not work anymore so we left it dead.

…………..

New post later tonight…. I think.

Sudden Carnage

Chapter XXVI - Operation Wedge Part II

Countries played by humans: UK, France, Soviet Union, Germany, Italy, Japan

Recap: The Skidel Showdown and Operation Vice is history. Now, Wehrmacht have launched Operation Wedge. The French Wall of Flesh has been breached after about three weeks of extreme carnage. Now, a German panzer spearhead charges passed Lille… Simultaneous as Wehrmacht struggle towards Lille, the rest of the world trembles of fundamental events…

15-4.jpg

April 7th-13th, 1940

In early April, Japan launched another lightning strike towards one of its small neighbors. Even if Japan was at war with both the Soviet Union and United Britain, pushing them both back, they managed to mount another forceful attack.

Communist China had little to do against the veteran troops of the Kingdom of Japan. They made an effort to defend the mountainous capital but they were brushed aside in a matter of days. Communist China was one of a long row of nations which had perished under the sword of the Island-Shogun.

Authors note: Zid (Japan) cared little about the lands of Communist China but he was worried about their amount of troops and their communist ideology. Instead of letting the small nation tie down a quite substantial chunk of the Japanese army it was better simply erasing it and be free of the problem – especially as “threat” is not a particularly big issue in this game.

---The Lille Pocket---

16-5.jpg

April 13th, 1940

A rough week into the battle of St Omer and it was still on. After the massive battle of Dunkerque, the German forces had lost a little of its punch in this sector. Still, the pocket around Lille was almost finalized and an attack, however weak, upon the city itself was launched in order to tie down the troops there. The French leadership seemed not to be aware of the potential pocket – or chose to stay and defend it.

17-5.jpg

April 15th, 1940

The pocket around Lille succeeded and two French divisions were caught there. The French tried weakly to break the pocket but could not muster anything decisive. The attack on Lille was not prioritized. The Frenchmen there would not be able to flee. Wehrmacht wanted as many troops as possible to get a few days rest before next push.

This day, the French province of Reims also fell. The defenders of Reims had previously given France one of very few defensive victories but this time around they finally broke and pulled back.

The German leadership also realized by now that the French forces had deployed an awful lot of light armor units. Perhaps these were initially ordered to blitz through Germany if Wehrmacht’s focus had continued to be on the East. Now, however, the French armor had to be used as defensive units and they were little match for the German Panzer IVs.

From early April:
The attack on reims going on in last screen will probably be called off facing brit divs behind rivers as they are. On the paris spearhead i think u shouldn't probe too further and hold their until u bring up another column on its right province its right flank needs to be secured for a deep offensive against paris along with the envelopment attempt near lille.

Author’s note: Well, I managed to take Reims, albeit with high casualties. Lille is surrounded but it have gotten me a little stretched.

---Elsewhere in the world---

18-4.jpg

April 15th, 1940

After the fall of Siam, Japanese forces have slowly but surely been closing in on Rangoon in southern Burma. United Kingdom does not seem to have deployed any significant forces here – or they are waiting further back.

Japanese fleets can move around unchallenged. It is likely that United Kingdom have concentrated its presence in other theatres. Perhaps they were unprepared for this Japanese trick.

19-3.jpg

April 15th, 1940

Unite Kingdom has, however, a strong presence around Ethiopia. After annihilating a strong Italian force in Ed they have closed in unmercifully around Addis Abeba. The few remaining Italian units can do little to hold them back. Ethiopia will not last long.

20-5.jpg

April 15th, 1940

Italy pays the Allies back in the Med. Even though they have taken some punishment in the surface warfare and lost some submarines, they still have enough to continue to sink Allied tonnage.

British raiders are, however, successful in keeping a tight blockade of Tarabulus. The troops there still get enough supplies but their stockpiles are shrinking. This could prove to be a problem for the Italians further on.

21-4.jpg

April 18th, 1940

A prolonged research finally proved fruitful. We now know how to use our valuable Rare Materials (1941 lvl) in a more effective way. Very good!

:: During his work with setting up the logistic and maintenance routines for the brand new mechanized brigade Johann Keller also kept a close eye at the usage of certain resources. He knew that Hjalmar Sacht and some of his research colleges tried to make the production of certain rare materials more efficient. Johann noticed, however, that these technocrats focused to blindly on more efficient machinery, more efficient processes and more efficient refining. That fact that misusage, wastefulness and lack of recycling were responsible for a major loss of potential resources was not taken into consideration. From his work within a forming division, Johann Keller started to watch the routines of usage and waste of rare materials carefully and gave Hjalmar Sacht several pointers of how the already produced materials could last longer. Hjalmar had learnt to listen to Johann and this suggestions for new routines soon became wide spread leading to a more long lasting usage of present materials.::

---The Fifth attack on Shepetivka---

22-5.jpg

April 18th, 1940

In late March, the Germans launched an attack on a broad front in the Southern East Front. Three provinces including Shepetivka were captured in early April. The Red Army, however, almost immediately counter-attacked the conquerors of Shepetivka and just like the previous four times, they retreated in good order after hardly any resistance at all.

Now, about two weeks later, Wehrmacht attacked The Valley of Death the fifth time. Most of the troops on both sides had either rested or been replaced and it turned out to be yet another grim battle. The Red Army did not want to yield.

::It was somewhat hard to believe that they had been forced to retreat from Shepetivka once again, and now…. And now they were attacking into the God Damn Valley of Death again. Morale was low. It was less than two weeks since they won their last battle here. They had only just been managed to get a few new recruits in, do the most necessary repairs and gotten a few full nights of rest… and now they were at it again. The Red Army had managed a pretty strong defense with both light and medium tanks. None of these were even close to match their Panzer IV, but they still posed a considerable threat. Michael Wittman, the tank commander, had to use both kind and harsh words to urge his crew forwards in the battle. They hated the land even more than their opponents. Still, they knew the land inside and out and Heinrich could maneuver in the dark with little problem. The Red Army would lose this time again… and the next and the next.::

23-5.jpg

April 20th, 1940

As the German attack on Shepetivka continued, Italy’s slow grinding march in the South continued. Even if the Italian threat was lesser, the Red Army did not seem to have the kind of reserves here, as in Shepetivka, and their troops were wary and hackneyed. The Italians managed to secure Stanislawow and the important airport there. Soviet had continuously used it for its fighters and bombers. Now they were forced to use strips further into Soviet for their planes while the Italians got the ones close to the frontline.

Soviet Union continued to lose ground and did not seem to be able to stop the fascist tide.

24-5.jpg

April 21st-24th, 1940

As Germany had little problem to hold the air space over France, and also had deployed several new squadrons of Bf 109s, they could now start to have fighters on patrol in the East as well. The Russian fighters had mostly been fighting Italians, and at occasion the Japanese Zeros, but seemed unprepared to meet the superior Luftwaffe (41-uppgrades finished). They consequently took serious losses and fled in disarray. Germany even supported the ground troops with dive bombers (Henschel 129). It was the first time in more than 6 months.

The Red Army retreated the 24th of April. The total death toll in the Valley of Death was now up to 11 000 Germans and 26 000 Soviets.

::Heinrichs hate for Shepetivka only grew stronger. April was quite muddy and all they bodies that had been hidden by the snow now lay in the open, rotting away. The only comfort he took was the fact that it was much worse for the infantry who walked and lived in that muddy, sickening hell every day and every night. Heinrich himself, and some of the guys in the crew with him, often chose to sleep in the tanks cramp space even if it was far from comfortable. And it was all worse for the Rus. They just walked back into the Valley of Death, without killing any Germans, waiting for Wehrmacht to charge them once again, tearing them to pieces.::

::The Valley of Death. The name had gotten a new meaning lately. It started with the Rus troopers who one night came crying through the darkness, surrendering to the Germans, begging them to save them from the ghouls. As the rumor got wings, more and more soldiers saw them at night. Humanoids in damp, molding uniforms, staggering around in the all to close periphery of the sentinel’s night-time vision – wheezing and moaning as they went. Nobody left the night camps anymore. People had trouble sleeping, their eyes looking hollower by the days. Then the sickness came. The Ghoul fever. Heinrich though he knew what pale was before. But these poor sods were even paler. The soldiers huddled together at night and longed for the daylight and the releasing battles – were you at least had the luxury to see your enemy in the eye. ::

::With the support of a company of infantry, Heinrich and a groups of panzers had taken one of Shepetivka’s few hills. It was a clear but cold day, the wind coming sharply from the east. They had orders to hold the position, and did just that, just below the crest to avoid making silhouettes against the pale blue sky. This was one of few placed with any view at all and with the Hummels in position behind the hill, Heinrich and his friends acted spotters with their binos. They suddenly heard a sound… a very rare sound in the Valley of Death. Fighter engines. Suddenly the most dramatic dog-fights erupted in the sky above them. It was with marvelous speed and agility with which the smooth planes dodged, rolled and dived at each other – machine guns and auto-canons blazing. The panzer crews cheered as a soviet fighters tumbled from the sky with a tail of fire and smoke. They never saw the pilot jump. Another life swallowed by these blood-soaked fields of death…::

-------

Just a few days remains of the AARland Choice AwAARds. If you havn't voted for your favorite AARwriter this is more or less the last call. Vote away, guys! And if it is a vote on Sudden Carnage, then that would be under the HoI3 game play category ;)

Last edited:
CptEasy - this is a great AAR and I'm loving it. Well written and a good balance between the detail and the overview. More whole front screenshots in the east please. Keep up the great work..

How?:wacko:
Too good,too early.

Wehrmacht/captain combo supreme.:cool:

Hm...those poor Walking Dead, caught inbetween German and Soviet frontlines. Well, it could be worse. Heinrich could be forced to fight repeatedly for control of that one province to the southeast, the one with the abnormally long and unpronouncable name. XD

Hm...those poor Walking Dead, caught inbetween German and Soviet frontlines. Well, it could be worse. Heinrich could be forced to fight repeatedly for control of that one province to the southeast, the one with the abnormally long and unpronouncable name. XD
:)
By the way,the unpronounceable name can be translated as "Old Constantine's".

While your encirclement is not very spectacular in itself, it's hard not to see the strategic opportunity it gives you. Lille plays a central role in the defence of France. Its location and urban terrain make it a troublesome obstacle. Now the only Allied chance is to regroup on the river Seine and protect Paris at all cost.

Sudden Carnage

Chapter XXVII - Operation Wedge part III

Countries played by humans: UK, France, Soviet Union, Germany, Italy, Japan

Recap:Japan continues to conquer. Italy is struggling but is still a nuisance. Germany's East front is calm as a whole, but on some locations, like the Valley of Death, the carnage is terrible. In the West, Wehrmacht have launched Operation Wedge. The French Wall of Flesh has been breached after about three weeks of extreme carnage. A German panzer spearhead have surrounded Lille and now they push for new targets deeper into France...

26-3.jpg

April 22nd, 1940

During the massive battle of Shepetivka in the East, the German forces in the West initiated a new push. The Goal was not Paris, initially, but getting a strong foothold across the River Seine. Etampes would be the staging area for the attack on Paris itself, but that would come later.

Out in the open, the Allied defenders had little resistance to offer the Germans. Moreover, the French had not properly recovered from previous battles – in difference to the fully organized German attackers.

27-3.jpg

April 23rd, 1940

As Wehrmacht fought to breach the Allied western flank, the two French divisions in Lille gave up and surrendered. This was the first major French city to fall to the Germans, and also the first French divisions to surrender. It was a grand moment which was greatly celebrated in Germany. It also was a distinct proof that France was not doing some kind of tactical retreat – they were being beaten. Still, victory was still a distance away and a lot of things could happen before that.

28-4.jpg

April 26th, 1940

After the fall of the French resistance in Gamaches, von Arnim’s Panzer Division blitzed further while Luftwaffe made some reconnaissance missions behind the enemies frontline. They had a very poor reserve and the German leadership felt the time was ripe to increase the pressure.

All the Axis paratroopers had been stationed in Bruxelles since the fall of Belgium. During the massive battles in Northern France there had been little use to throw in a few paratroopers. There were just no place they could land without dropping into firing rifles. Now, with the western defensive line more or less beached, several alternatives opened itself. There were little time for planning and the German leadership issued fast orders.

The 2nd paradivision would go first and secure Caen – and thus lead the way for the two Japanese divisions.

::After several weeks in Bruxelles, which was fairly nice, it was time to go again, for Lucas Bauer and his friends in the 2nd Paratroop Division. The relation with the Belgians was not at all as good as with the Dutch, and there were several brawls at pubs and bars. A few paratroopers had even been killed and wounded – and several Belgians too.::

::It was quite an exciting mission. They would follow the coast, well passed the Seine River, and drop far behind the enemy line. The German leadership felt it important to avoid letting the retreating French get good defensive positions behind the river. As usual, the Germans went first, and the Japanese would follow. It was a nice late April weather, a little bit cold up in the air but nice down on the ground. Fighters had scouted the area in advance and it seemed the French, once again, had not at all bothered with a second line of defense… at least in this section of the front. Maybe they though the German panzer spearhead was too weak to pose a serious threat. Lucas knew little of these details but did not care. His target was the city of Caen, deep into France. What an adventure.::

::It was quite a beautiful ride along the coastline. Just before they passed the great harbors of Le Havre they saw black plumes rising towards the sky. The frontline. Their transport plane, a Ju-52, continued for quite a while longer before the red light started to flash. It was time. When Lucas looked through one of the small windows, he saw Caens sprawl far down below. Hans wooped when he rose. He was eager to go.::

30-5.jpg

April 26th, 1940

The airborne mission was a success. The western French flank had their retreat routes cut off and some frantic Allied movements started the just after the attack. Le Havre fell shortly thereafter and thus, in reality, the paratroopers were never really cut off in hostile lands. French light armor attacked the easternmost Japanese divisions and the lightly equipped paratroopers had difficulties in holding them back and called for German back up.

Thanks to the joint German and Japanese airborne mission, the Germans could easily secure routes over the river Seine and avoid costly river-battles.

31-3.jpg

April 29th, 1940

A few days after the airborne mission and Germany have secured the western flank and panzers have reinforced the Japanese paratroopers. The French light armor is no match what so ever to the German panzers. The German leadership now directed more divisions to use the safe crossing in the west to be able to mount an offensive from western France against Paris.

Another interesting detail – 3 days after the Axis paradrop and entire BEF had disappeared from the frontline. The Germans suspected that the Brits were afraid of being cut off from the harbors – but whether it was enough to make the Brits pull out BEF from France or just redeploy closer to the coast, in front of the German lines, was for the future to tell. As BEF was the size of 1-2 army corps, it was a substantial force, and their actions would affect the outcome, or at least the timing of it, of the fall of France.

Axis no longer doubted they would see Paris and France fall. The whole attack on the west had gone so much easier than expected – better than even the most optimistic plan. But the battle of France was far from over and many things could still happen. Frances was tied down in frontline battles with little flexibility, but BEF on the other hand, and the British Forces still on the Island, was a factor hard to calculate. Would UK give up France or did they have a surprise waiting?

32-4.jpg

April 23rd-30th, 1940

The Japanese forces who had marched through Siam now attacked the British defenders around Rangoon. When they attacked the city of Rangoon itself, they were supported by marines charging up the beaches after their amphibious landings. At least one British division surrendered after being surrounded and defeated in Rangoon. It was obvious the British had little in southern Burma to stop the Japanese onslaught.

36-3.jpg

With the huge ports in Rangoon in Japanese hands, British convoys could be targeted further into the British interest. A convoy from Britain to India now had to pass through three deadly areas with hostile submarines.

……………………………….
Author’s note: The French player had to break out from our session at this point but we chose to continue after adjusting the AI to hard
……………………………….

35-3.jpg

May 5th, 1940

The success of German raids had decreased slightly. This was probably due to Britain cutting down on convoy missions. The Brits however, managed to sink a few of the Dutch convoys. The German leadership was worried that Netherlands soon would run out of Rare Materials because of this.

The Brits had managed to damage a few of the German u-boats, but not to sink any. The German pressure at sea would continue.

37-2.jpg

May 9th-13th, 1940

British forces launched a surprise attack on Sardinia during late spring. They had already managed to block the port of Cagliari to receive supplies so when the British motorized reached the city, the defenders were in bad shape and gave up after short battle.

Still, Italian bombers managed to kill quite a few British troops who lacked air support.

Last edited:
Gripping stuff. Your advance in the West is simply superb and now when the AI controls France, a -20% combat penalty won't stop you from crushing the French. It's interesting how your position changed from very bad (war on the two fronts with powerful enemies) to quite good (progress on BOTH fronts, with a quick and decisive Western Campaign).

Good progress in Asia, too. Japan clearly dominates the Asian continent and it's unlikely that the British will have enough troops to save India from disaster. However, invading Sardinia was a smart move which secured an airfield and a port in a very strategic location. The British player didn't lose his nerves and performed a quick assault that cost him very little but forces the Axis to pay attention to the potential threat that the British pose for Italy and (Vichy) France.

I think that capturing Sardinia with so little effort was definitely worth it. The Brits got two naval bases and one airfield (more can be built if necessary) close to Italy and southern France almost free of any cost. This will make defending from potential amphibious invasions and air bombings a bit harder and force the Axis to watch Sardinia closely.

Sardinia could become a trap for Allied forces if the Axis decide to roll into Spain.

Hope the French player comes back for the next session. Considering your progress in NW France, France is about to fall, but he can still retreat to defensible positions, making the Axis advance slow and painful.

No doubt, English player has to act fast in Italy. In this case taking Sardinia is pretty much useless. He'd better start an invasion in Southern Italy, taking Taranto area and Sicily as well.

Last edited:
You're hard on the British attack on Sardinia ;) I did a similar thing myself as Britain in last AAR (Jolly Carnage) - even though that attack had the higher strategic goal of chasing a damaged Italian fleet out of Cagliari to an awaiting British fleet. Even so, I have to agree with Cybvep, Carolusmig and JDNIGHT. A nibble is better than nothing - and it didn't cost UK much time either.