• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Those easy victories with pushing French back were slightly unexpected.
French don't have good ministers in 1939 and 1940, no defense minister at all. Which is for game balance, probably.
Toughest French defense I have seen has been until July of 1939, so if you win in West till that time, it is still good.
Overall losses in that campaign for Germany was around 100,000, a lot lost on Paris and Den Haag.
Oh, and now you will have to go for Belgium/Netherlands probably, as giving military access is signal of "I am joining soon".

Mediterranean is nasty place, as AI moves all convoys through there, when in reality ships went around Africa and every convoy operation in Med was major task.
Still, in no time most of Italian navy will be decimated by French and maybe UK, confining Axis to European theater. And Italy will have to keep strong defenses on the boot to deter Allied invasion.

And Soviets probably are busy cranking out more troops.

Last edited:
Nice progress in the West - your troops are clearly superior. Also, your PARAs will be useful in forming encirclements.

I do hope so. As previously stated, I’m quite inexperienced of using paras against human players. Still, the defenders are equally inexperienced in defending against human commanded paratroopers. A lame vs a blind…

Be careful, though. The Soviets may be up to sth nasty, like an attack through Lithuania. You would be forced to give up some territory in order to stall their advance and it would be hard to fight on both fronts. In fact, lack of Soviet activity in Poland and Ukraine may indicate that they are slowly moving troops to the SOV-LIT border. If I were you, I would make some reconnaissance flights there.

Hm, yes. That’s a nasty idea. If the Soviets have sparetroops to blitz through Lithuania I’m royally f****d. Good idea with the scouting run. Still, I have quite good defensive lines so I will cry my eyes out if I need to retreat from those… Especially as it took so much blood, sweat and tears to take them. I’m bloody pot committed…

Well. We’ll see how it goes. With Japan pressing eagerly from the East I hope Soviet need all his troops in pure old school defensive lines.

Those easy victories with pushing French back were slightly unexpected.
French don't have good ministers in 1939 and 1940, no defense minister at all. Which is for game balance, probably.
Toughest French defense I have seen has been until July of 1939, so if you win in West till that time, it is still good.
Overall losses in that campaign for Germany was around 100,000, a lot lost on Paris and Den Haag.
Oh, and now you will have to go for Belgium/Netherlands probably, as giving military access is signal of "I am joining soon".

You sure do move ahead of time here, Traks, even though I like the sound of it. My problem, of course, is that it’s way past July -39 and I haven’t taken a single French province yet….

Yes, Belgium have given access to both France and UK so… just as you say… I expect them to join any day now… Have mercy on me….

Mediterranean is nasty place, as AI moves all convoys through there, when in reality ships went around Africa and every convoy operation in Med was major task.
Still, in no time most of Italian navy will be decimated by French and maybe UK, confining Axis to European theater. And Italy will have to keep strong defenses on the boot to deter Allied invasion.

And Soviets probably are busy cranking out more troops.

Italian player was pushing his limit a little bit too hard – at least for my taste. Still, it was good for Operation Hammer Sickle, I thought, that Italy pulled hard at French/Anglo attention in the Med so my “mounting up the attack” would go unnoticed. Still, losing too much of RM is just too costly.

Yes – USSR is probably spitting out troop at an alarming rate. They question is just what kind of troops and with what strategy he will go at me. Strong in air? Armor blitz? Grinding horde of inf?

Sorry, I meant July 1940, of course.

SU probably goes for short and medium term strategy, as there is no longterm in 1939 total war scenario.
He could go for small fish with some 5 divs.

Everything will work for the Soviets. It's YOU who have to act, not them. The Allies and the USSR have greater resources (especially MP-wise), so they will win the attrition war if you don't manage to do sth drastic. That's why stabilising the frontlines can only be your short-term goal. Your medium-term goal should be to either eliminate France (so that the Allies would be confined to the UK) and then concentrating on USSR or creating a strong line in the West while taking the USSR first. You don't have any other real options. Africa is doomed. Scandinavia would be a waste of effort. The Balkans would give you no strategic advantage.

Both proposed strategies seem viable. Stalling the Allies in the West is certainly possible and Japan could aid you vs the USSR by taking or at least threatening Central Siberia. Cracking the West is also possible, although you would need to guard your Eastern border carefully. The Japanese could aid you by attacking the British possessions in Asia, which would reduce the Allied potential even further. This could slow down their advance into Central Siberia, but it's a consequence of going for the Western powers first.

Anyway, you either take the initiative or you die.

Anyway, you either take the initiative or you die.

Thanks for that unequivocal piece of advice, Cybe ;) I’ll hope Operation Hammer Sickle will provide just that initiative….

Most interesting MP AAR so far, I guess ;)

Though Cybvep is right, of course, I strongly suggest you to go West at first.
And a little bit of joke. Wouldn't be a surprise for you if Allies invade Italy?

Thanks. Will do. About Italy – Yes, it is a risk. Still, for the moment, UK is under attack in so many parts of the world and has at least a full army corps in France if not more. I just don’t think they have ground troops enough. It’s just 1939, you know, and with our House Rules against building reserves it is difficult to quickly produce a lot of ground troops. But yes – we fear it and Italy is definitely the weak belly on the Fascist Beast. Rome is actually just defended by some two divisions… quite scary what can happen when you think about it…

where are the allies now? at this rate the german front will be at maginot again in no time ...

To continue on my response to Pkawol, UK is busy on many fronts. They are gaining ground in Libya at the moment. I just took back two German provinces during the last two weeks or so it’s not very quickly – and in the northern part of the French/German border nothing has happened as the Allies are dug in behind the river. They will be hard to dislodge if I can’t trick them away somehow. Or what do you think, Sprites?

….

New post tonight, I think.

It's a bit surprising that you managed to push back the French that easily. Apparently, the player overestimated himself and kept attacking until his troops were completely exhausted. That's a...questionable strategy. :)
The situation to the east looks dangerous for you - surely the Red Army will attack with renewed strength after it becomes obvious that you shifted troops to the west? That looks like a huge gamble. But perhaps I overestimate the strength of the Soviet war machine this early in the game.

Sudden Carnage

Chapter XV – Operation Hammer Sickle part III

Countries played by humans: UK, France, Soviet Union, Germany, Italy, Japan

Recap: After the break-out of the two-front war, Germany have concentrated on the Soviet Union. Now, with Operation Storm losing momentum and the defense in the West buckling, Wehrmacht must renew their strategy and focus on the West.

Now, as the German forces are fighting to retake the last bit of southernmost part of the West Wall - Operation Hammer Sickle is ready to be launched in the center and north where the Allies had made substantial land gains and also been able to dig in. It will not be easy but it is time to make a go at it…

30-2.jpg

November 19th, 1939

As troops included in Operation Hammer Sickle started to move towards their target provinces, the German Sea Wolves tore the British convoys apart. They had patrols out but could not stop the U-boats to sink a large amount of tonnage. With the Italian efforts in the Med, the Brits would surely have a tough time now.

November 21st, 1939

::The 1st Panzer Division had been doing little the last month. Since the last battle during mid October they had only had one marsh-order, and that was to Dubno. Here they had been more or less still for more than three weeks. They dug in and waited for orders. After a while, rumors trickled down to them that no more offensives from their side were to be expected during the winter. The officers did not confirm the rumor but the soldiers, not having much better to do, started to prepare more comfortable living quarters. The company HQ was in a farmstead but Heinrich and a group of three panzers were based in small grove on a windswept plain. The tent was strengthened with wooden poles and the soft walls were clad, from the outside with brushwood and dried mosses. After about a week, their living quarters got a lean-to kitchen outside the tent, and a week after that, they built a little hut, big enough for two or three men to play cards in, so that remaining men got more space in the tent. It was just important to have the possibility to change environment once in a while.::

::Heinrich Hahn and Baltazar Voll got a day off and went into the city of Dubno. Some parts of the city was really old and they even had a castle with a modern prison which NKVD had used for important POWs when it fell in German hands. They managed to rescue a few German soldiers who had fallen in Russian captivity. A few of them came from the 1st Paratroop Division. In town they failed to get more cigarettes but managed to lay their hands on a lot of homebrewed vodka. That would warm them good during the nights which became colder and colder.::

315.jpg

The remnants of the old castle wall from the 15-century and the newer building next to it, build by the Poles as a prison but later used by NKVD.

::Suddenly they got a marsh order. They’d be the spearhead of an attack straight into the Soviet Union. It worried them that the order seemed to come with no premonition. Normally there were always some rumors coming first. This could only mean the whole idea was something drawn up in haste and that was never good. The first snow had come the day before. It had melted away to a film of slush on the roads but lay as a fine white powder on the grass and plowed fields. It pained them to leave their little self made settlement but there’s nothing to it. And order was an order. Michael Wittmann was his usual energetic self. Heinrich suspected that his tank commander was happy about the order. Soon, their panzers rolled out from their little glade, tracks creaking. They were on the move again – towards the actual border to Soviet Union. As the warmth from the powerful engine seeped into the crew compartment, their good mood returned. This would be a grand moment.::

31-1.jpg

The Red Army had started an offensive in the Italian sector of the east front. This caused some mild alarm in the Italian camp. Having plenty of idle troops, the Germans launched a powerful panzer-attack into the steppes of Shepetivka. The attack had no other purpose than to disturb and mislead the Soviet leadership. It did have some emotional importance as this was the first attack on Russian soil.

::The Red Army was waiting for them – three infantry divisions well dug in along the snow powdered fields. They were, however, not prepared to face the might of Erwing Rommel’s 1st Panzer side by side with Walter Models 3rd Panzer out in the open. Together, they could quickly shift flanks, blitz through or concentrate firepower in a way the Russians had significant problems to cope with.::

32-2.jpg

November 22nd, 1939

After a week of fighting, the French gave up Hinterzarten and pulled back to the Maginot fortress. The southern part of the West Wall was recaptured at last. It was great news in the German media, except they made it sound like it was all part of the big plan. Pictures, actually from the slaughter in Donaueschingen, on enormous amounts of dead French soldiers were shown.

Though the events did not have any connection to each other, the victory in Hinterzarten correlated with Operation Hammer Sickle being ready to launch. It is time to roll the dice of the fate of the Fatherland…

33-2.jpg

November 25th, 1939

An entire army corps had marched into Koblenz and now attacked across the Rhine River into Morbach according to the plan. The defenders were dug in behind the river in a network of earth-bunkers and trenches which made them quite formidable. The Wehrmacht, however, was used to this tactic and quickly made an encircling maneuver towards the British sector.

The German leadership was a little worried about the tough defense and was reluctant to initiate the airborne part of the operation. The risk of having them cut off and lost felt too great.

34-1.jpg

November 25th, 1939

Roughly 24 hours later, and the British division had retreated. They might have gotten scared by the chock of being surrounded. Their retreat left the two French divisions in a tough spot. The Germans gained ground and won the air superiority. At the same time, an assault started further north to stop the French from bringing in reinforcements to Morbach. Further east, two panzer division were inbound to be prepared to blitz into an opening.

The Brits retreating into St Wendel was not only a good thing. It was one of the areas designated for a paradrop. As things started to swing the German way in Morbach, the Japan/German leadership wanted to launch the airborne operations. These hours were nervous ones…

36-1.jpg

November 27th, 1939

The British push in North Africa had slowed down, but not stopped. The Italian troops made a valiant stand in the mountains around Tarabulus. It did not look too bright.

38-1.jpg

November 27th-29th, 1939

::The Red Army just couldn’t hold them off in the open. The two panzer divisions just tore them apart. The men became battle-crazed. They felt like gods when they moved around in a tight group consisting of a few light and medium panzers together with a couple of fast armor-cars, model SdKfz 234. The first lines of Russians were evenly distributed in trench-systems, and they could do little when spearhead panzer-groups made focused attacks on one location after the other. As the first Russian infantry battalions fell back in utter disarray the next-coming defenders tried to be more mobile but they simply did not have enough heavy equipment to bring any fear to the panzer crews. In a few areas, infantry from the two sides clashed which resulted in deaths on both sides. ::

::Heinrich “The Rooster” maneuvered smoothly across the snow-powdered fields. Bobby Woll had had blasted an old barn to pieces and two armor-cars laid fire on it from their auto canons. The heavy guns tore big holes in the wooden wall and splinters and dust covered their line of sight like a grey haze. On Micheal Wittmanns order, Bobby fired the main gun at the corner of the barn and it exploded away, causing half of the barn to collapse. Two Russian soldiers ran out but ended up in the middle of auto canon fire and were virtually shot to pieces. A little bit later, German infantry arrived on trucks, jumped out and advanced on the leaning barn and the little house next to it. After a short firefight that wounded a German soldier and killed two Russians, another three Red Army soldiers surrendered.::

sdkfz2341.jpg

SdKfz 234 /1

::One day later, the panzer-group, led by Wittmann, were ambushed by Russian armor. A light panzer got hit and started to burn fiercely. The gunner and commander got out, but none of the other. A medium panzer in front of Heinrich was hit in the front but the grenade bounced off. Wittmann did not want to retreat, not wanting the Russian to report the victory. He made them fire the smoke grenades in front of them, and then Heinrich turned sharply. The armor cars made violent zigzag maneuvers and spread a fearsome crossfire over the shrubbery where the enemy tanks had been hiding. Their auto cannons were close to useless, but it was still hard to concentrate as a tank driver or gunner when heavy fire bounced of the armor, threatening to pierce through weak spots. The panzers made wide arches, left and right and fired as they closed in. On Russian armor exploded and then the others started to reverse, while firing. A big explosion just beside an armor car made it to lift from the leftside wheels. As it bounced back, three wheels were punctured and the car came do a fast halt, while the right side wheels spinned ferociously and threw dust up in the air. It was an easy target now and two men threw themselves out while the driver stayed put and tried to reverse. One more Russian tank got hit in the middle of the driver’s seat and started to burn while it slowly reversed and turned before it got hit again, just as the gunner opened the top hatch and tried to climb out to flee the black smoke. The explosion threw him waving high up in the air before he tumbled to the ground. The last tank stopped and surrendered, its crew jumping out and waving their hands. Nobody fired on them, probably as all the German tank crew were eager to have a look at an undamaged enemy tank.::

The first three infantry divisions that stood against the German Panzer attack were spent after one week of battle and retreated in utter disarray. The Soviet leadership must have realized the infantry was useless against the panzers out in the open and sent in his own medium tanks. It was the first open field tank battle in the war and it was won by the experienced German crews. The first Soviet province had fallen to the Third Reich.

39-1.jpg

November 29th, 1939

Operation Hammer Sickle unfolds. Losing battles surrounding Morbach is locking up the French there while paradrops behind the enemy line secure important strategic lands. The British division in St Wendel returned to the fray in Morbach, thus leaving St Wendel undefended. The 2nd Fallskirm jäger Division landed in St Wendel and surprised a French infantry division coming over the river from Trier in the north. The Japanese paratroopers landed in Saarbrucken and Pirmasens. They were soon attacked as well. As the Japanese elite units had good defensive positions in the city of Saarbrucken and the forest of Pirmasens, both being somewhat fortified, the French had insufficient forces to be of any distinct threat.

In Morbach, the bombs kept on falling on the defenders who lost more and more ground, albeit slowly, as the Germans had troubles crossing the Rhine. One of the divisions had a brigade of pioneers who had made a pontoon bridge to one of the secure bridge heads and the division could now pour over the bridge.

At last. It felt amazing to finally get the Operation started and to get the paras successfully in place. The pocket-potential is quite bad but on the other hand - the paras have too good positions to be easilly dislodge which gives the Allies a really awkward defensive position. I think I will be able to breach the line at Morbach and then we'll see how the Allies react. So far so good... or what do you think? Could this attack have been made in another way? I dwelled uppon it quite a lot but as both France and UK can flee through Belgian territory it will be hard capturing the northern forces.

Last edited:
The prospects for encirclements are poor, but by recapturing your core provinces you will be able to shorten the frontline. I doubt that the Allies will recover quickly from this. If only you had more troops, maybe you could make your way through at least one province on the Maginot Line and then encircle or at least dislodge the Allies from their fortified positions. It wouldn't be very likely, though.

It'd be great if you can recapture the lost provinces, anything else is a bonus. Though I doubt that you will be able to sack Allied units, you are in a position to shorten your front, which in itself is quite an achievement.

Baltazar Voll
Wonder what that guy is up to :p

Allies will probably be able to retreat, but in disarray, which in turn might give you the opportunity to do something else, like that out the Netherlands without too much interference.

Hmm..the prospects of a decisive victory on any front seem slim...u can grind them back slowly but ur mp suffers badly all the time as well,i would say right now advantage allies.U need some pockets.

Pretty dire situation, despite the temporary gains. Both the Allies and Comintern can afford to fight attrition battles, while you can't. Your options are few and not very good. The way I see it, Japan is your ace in the hole, and the key to victory.

IMO, Japan should push into Siberia as far as it can, but do so slowly and methodically in order to respond to the Soviet player redirecting his attention to that theater. At the same time, it should scout out Allied defenses in Southeast Asia and determine whether or not it can take out those colonies and deal with the Soviets. If it can, the loss of rares in Indochina and Malaysia would cripple the Allies long-term success, depending on their current stockpiles. It would also force them to pay attention to Japan and you, and deal a psychological blow to the Allied players similar to what you experienced in Jolly Carnage. Japan's forces are better spent in Asia than helping you in Europe. So far I haven't seen a lot of screens showing what's going on over there, aside from Japan taking the parts of Borneo occupied by the UK.

In Europe, you'll need to decide which front to focus on. Pushing the Allies back to the Maginot takes priority, IMO. Also, I feel that Italy should abandon Libya, if it hasn't already. It's pretty obvious Italy will lose its colony, and those troops would be better used to defend Italy itself and prepare for a possible amphibious counter-attack. On your end, it comes down to who you feel is the bigger threat: France or the USSR. Realistically, I feel you should wall up your Eastern front and bunker down, while building up a large force to attack through Belgium. If you really want to throw the Allies off-guard, you can perform a very risky invasion of the UK. I guarantee the UK player won't expect it, which makes the chances of such an operation become more successful. Not a very good idea, but Hitler and his cohorts were gamblers, and their gambles proved to be correct more often than not...

If UK player is worth anything, he will keep 1-2 fleets just for defense.
Now Italy, landing behind lines in France could amount to something.

Starting Axis airforce is strong, especially when Japan is meeting no resistance so I suspect they have air superiority at the moment, and maybe couple of INTs patrol East front.

An attack on the UK? That's a little far-fetched. It's not stupid AI we are talking about, but the player. We also don't know whether Cpt has any transports...

Taking the UK will be almost impossible in that game, but frankly, unless the USA joins the Allies, the UK alone will not be a threat if Cpt takes out France. And yes, he must prioritise one front over another and gamble. It's inevitable.

Cpt, I think you executed the attack nearly flawlessly. All told, you did quite well. The only thing I would have done differently would have been to attack the South rather than the north. I you had hit there with tanks and larger inf formations and were able to drop paras behind the maginot, you may have been able to punch a hole right into the center of France. The French troops in the North would have been forced to respond and head South. This plan of mine is a bit more risky, but could have yielded some great dividends.

Again though, flawless execution on the attack. (with Japan player no less!) Tough to do under time constraints.

Keep up the good work! This is a most interesting scenario for you!

It'd be great if you can recapture the lost provinces, anything else is a bonus. Though I doubt that you will be able to sack Allied units, you are in a position to shorten your front, which in itself is quite an achievement.

My thinking exactly.

Allies will probably be able to retreat, but in disarray, which in turn might give you the opportunity to do something else, like that out the Netherlands without too much interference.

Interesting thought. We’ll see what opportunities are available if Operation Hammer is successful.

how is the air situation, you were happily bombing the french armor with Ernst Udet's CAS in one session?

Axis ruling the sky most of the time. Udet and some of his friends are active, which is visible on one of the Screenies. I also have the support of some of the Japanese air force.

Hmm..the prospects of a decisive victory on any front seem slim...u can grind them back slowly but ur mp suffers badly all the time as well,i would say right now advantage allies.U need some pockets.

Austerlitz! I thought we lost you. Good to have you back. I agree with you. I had hoped that the Allies would have pushed further into Germany before Operation Hammer started., as it would have opened up for some pocket-potentials. Now it will be close to impossible to create pockets – but I will try.

Pretty dire situation, despite the temporary gains. Both the Allies and Comintern can afford to fight attrition battles, while you can't. Your options are few and not very good. The way I see it, Japan is your ace in the hole, and the key to victory.

Japan's forces are better spent in Asia than helping you in Europe. So far I haven't seen a lot of screens showing what's going on over there, aside from Japan taking the parts of Borneo occupied by the UK.

In Europe, you'll need to decide which front to focus on. Pushing the Allies back to the Maginot takes priority, IMO. Also, I feel that Italy should abandon Libya, if it hasn't already. It's pretty obvious Italy will lose its colony, and those troops would be better used to defend Italy itself and prepare for a possible amphibious counter-attack.

Yes, if I can survive long enough, Japan can tip the balance to favor the Axis. He’s got a heavy responsibility there. But I still think it’s good they help Germany a little. Japans victories in the East comes easy enough even without paras and some of the Air Force – and they are doing a great job in Europe. I think there will be some screeners from that part of the world soon. As I wrote in some a chapter not long ago – Italy don’t dare evacuate Tarabulus. The French/Anglo/Soviet naval presence is just too strong.

If you really want to throw the Allies off-guard, you can perform a very risky invasion of the UK. I guarantee the UK player won't expect it, which makes the chances of such an operation become more successful. Not a very good idea, but Hitler and his cohorts were gamblers, and their gambles proved to be correct more often than not...
An attack on the UK? That's a little far-fetched. It's not stupid AI we are talking about, but the player. We also don't know whether Cpt has any transports...

Taking the UK will be almost impossible in that game, but frankly, unless the USA joins the Allies, the UK alone will not be a threat if Cpt takes out France. And yes, he must prioritise one front over another and gamble. It's inevitable.

Can’t say too much here due to strategical reasons. You both have a point. It would be really tough in MP but that’s also the reason why UK would probably be of guard. But we’ll see…

Cpt, I think you executed the attack nearly flawlessly. All told, you did quite well. The only thing I would have done differently would have been to attack the South rather than the north. I you had hit there with tanks and larger inf formations and were able to drop paras behind the maginot, you may have been able to punch a hole right into the center of France. The French troops in the North would have been forced to respond and head South. This plan of mine is a bit more risky, but could have yielded some great dividends.

Interesting and daring planning there, JDNIGHT. I think I have too much respect for the Maginot Line to pull a stunt like that. I would fear losing all the paras for no good. And as manpower is one of my biggest problem (after Rares) it is extra risky to end up busting your head against the wall – especially since, if you look at the screenies, it’s heavily guarded. Anyway – the strategy behind Operation Hammer is tightly linked with Operation Sickle. When Sickle is launched or abandoned you will see why your idea don’t suit my all over plan.

Hopefully a new post tonight